• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development GAF Pilgrimage: Recharging your chi one episode at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
Top Banana, what a good episode. "There's always money in the banana stand!" is so classic. I think my favorite part is when Tobias is looking for a job and Michael sees him. "Tobias! Nice to see you off the couch."

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
"They're grown-ups, they're allowed to have fun whenever they want. We're kids, we're supposed to be working!"

But then Michael decided to do some detective work.

"Did you burn down the storage house?"

"Oh most definitely"

Also, I think the internet's telling me I should probably cool down:

ohgodwhathaveidone said:
O6biMqZ.png

MattDoza

I still have to watch Episode 2 tonight! So much to keep track of tonight with Mariners home opener and NCAA Championship.

Another day, another episode!

Today's episode: "Bringing Up Buster"

d1BO7h6.png

Synopsis - Michael spends quality time with Buster. George Michael auditions for a school play to get closer to Maeby. G.O.B. breaks up with his girlfriend and has nowhere to go.

Milchjon

Another day, another episode!

Today's episode: "Bringing Up Buster"

d1BO7h6.png

Synopsis - Michael spends quality time with Buster. George Michael auditions for a school play to get closer to Maeby. G.O.B. breaks up with his girlfriend and has nowhere to go.

I always remember this as one of the weakest episodes of season 1.

Haven't watched it in a while, though.

Mariolee

I always remember this as one of the weakest episodes of season 1.

Haven't watched it in a while, though.

I've always remembered this being one of the greatest episodes of Season 1. I remember not being able to breathe for a few minutes when Buster starts swearing and insulting Lucille and everyone just looks in awe.

Also the line, "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE MOST BITCHIN FAST BIKE IN ALL OF ORANGE COUNTY."

I randomly started my rewatch now and just happened to be on bring up buster.

Weird

I missed this show so much.

Forgot how much of the classic lines are in the first couple of episodes

Little late on joining this and starting to catch up now and noticed a few things.

Lucille says "Good grief, I've dipped into the kitty a couple of times" always missed that one and had me rollin. I also forgot how awesome all the music was and how they put it in a the perfect time to just lather everything with even more comedy gold.

Iceman

That reminds me, Judy Greer played Kitty Sanchez from 2003 and 2005. The Village came out in 2004 and she played Kitty Walker in that. Is there any kind of relationship there? Or is it just a coincidence?

Bringing Up Buster is the episode I knew the show was due for greatness. I remember this because it was one of the only times I've ever laughed myself to stomach pains while I was watching a TV show by myself. It was such bizarre intricate storytelling i've never seen anywhere else. The pull-back gag. Buster's bleeping cursing. Tobias falling all over the place. The punchlines and quotes continued to floweth.

Looking back on it now and knowing what happens to the characters in the future. This episode is another tip of-the tip of an iceberg, especially for references and foreshadowing.
Love triangle between Steve, GM, and Maeby lol. Gob and his weird oedipal complex. The Cornballer. Tobias possibly being gay.

Favorite random quotes:

"It walked on my pillow!"

"Stupid Cornballing piece of *bleep*"

"And you tell me you’ve got some P.E. teacher directing?...That just makes me want to puke all over your head, sir. Give me a chance to tell the Bard’s tale....and I give you my word on humble knee, whence you shall not say it wasn’t e’er to be."

"...YOU OLD HORNY SLUT!"

"...Maybe it was the eleven months he spent in the womb. The doctor said there were claw marks on the walls of her uterus."

"You smell like my mom."

"
iziq5wygjxgg1feldb.gif
"

I've always remembered this being one of the greatest episodes of Season 1. I remember not being able to breathe for a few minutes when Buster starts swearing and insulting Lucille and everyone just looks in awe.

Also the line, "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE MOST BITCHIN FAST BIKE IN ALL OF ORANGE COUNTY."

Yep. Totally caught me off guard that first time.

The best line in the whole episode is delivered by Lucille:

"Everyone’s laughing and riding and cornholing except Buster."

You kidding? This episode brought us the cornballer AND steve holt. AND marta 1 (el amor prohibido).

I couldn't quite tell, but was that Leonor Varela?
I know that there are 3 marta's throughout the show if you count the one in the girlfriend flashback in season 3, but I thought I'd read somewhere once that it was debated that there was a marta 4.

I particularly enjoy Buster saying, "Yeah, mom's awesome... maybe we should call her?" in the copy room, and the looks Michael and Gob give each other.
I love the "look at me, getting off" line from Lucille as well.

Tobias possibly being gay.

This really isn't much of a spoiler, but: (season?)

Tobias is pretty clearly gay from the first episode. The "possibly gay" thing mirrors how Smithers is treated in the Simpsons, where everyone knows it but nobody will say it. In the first episode not only does he walk onto the gay protest ship "accidentally" but at the end, when Lindsay straight up says: "You're gay" he answers with, "No, Lindsay... how many times do we have to have this co... no," ... it's clearly a topic that comes up repeatedly.

Iceman

I forgot to mention one of my favorite moments from Top Banana - it happens in Lucille's condo, a minute after Michael walks in on her on the phone. She says, "well why don't you marry an ice-cream sandwich?" obviously referring to George. She deflects/lies saying it was Gob and not Michael's father. Then later when she says that she was on the phone earlier with Gob that he wasn't happy, Michael calls her on it/corrects her saying "you mean just now?". Lucille is frozen for a couple of seconds and the camera goes in and out of focus while she recovers. That little camera action suggests so much imagery (like a screeching brake and u-turn or a reset button being pressed in her mind) that it floors me every time.

Sorry for the tangent/backtracking.

CrunchyFrog said:
The best line in the whole episode is delivered by Lucille:

"Everyone’s laughing and riding and cornholing except Buster."

this is truth.

Another classic episode of Arrested Development. I love how everyone talks about Buster in front of him, the fact that G.O.B. is seen reading Turn of the Century French Erotica right before he gets asked to zip up Lucille's dress, all of Buster's bleeping dialogue and Tobias acting as cupid to George Michael.

Ya no

Just started watching this show last night. It had been recommended to me on netflix for a while, but for some reason I never watched it. Real glad I started watching, I've loved every episode so far!

mj1108

Just started watching this show last night. It had been recommended to me on netflix for a while, but for some reason I never watched it. Real glad I started watching, I've loved every episode so far!

Oh wow... on one hand, I envy you. On the other, you need to be beaten with a 2x4 for waiting so long.

If you think this series is good now....just wait until you rewatch it. It's mindblowing.

I finally finished the second half of the show just a few days ago and loved it.
I started it on Netflix YEARS ago, but only now came back to finish it since it's new season is coming up so soon.

My favorite moment of the show (from the second half at least):
The last episode with Rita, at the end she walks ON TOP OF a pool of water as she walks away.
Michael asks Gob if that was part of his magic trick.
Completely seriously he says "no, it wasn't." Then the episode ends.

I'm thinking "What the fuck just happened? Did they just jump the fucking shark here!?

Then the "Next week on Arrested Development" pops up and the first scene is Gob saying "It was my ILLUSION!!"
Then I burst out in laughter. :D

Bringing Up Buster was the episode that hooked me. On the initial broadcasts, I watched part of the pilot but was distracted with other things during it and missed Top Banana the first time around, but Bringing Up Buster's intro with the Cornballer made made me laugh hysterically. That plus Buster's bleeped tirade against Lucille and possibly my two favorite exchanges in the entire series:

Gob: Let me ask you something. Is this a business decision, or is it personal? 'Cause if it's business, I'll go away happily. But if it's personal, I'll go away, but I won't be happy.
Michael: It's personal.

and...

Gob: And if I'm going to be staying here...
Lucille: Staying here? What, did that Mexican throw you out?
Gob: She's not "that Mexican", Mom. She's my Mexican. And she's Colombian or something. Anyway, it's over.
Lucille: You've got three days.
Gob: Hey... If I can't find a horny immigrant by then, I don't deserve to stay here. *laughs*

The comic timing on both are PERFECT.

My favorite moment of the show (from the second half at least):

Definitely one of my favorite moments in the series.

Guys, in the spirit of the thread (And as asked by the OP) can you please spoiler tag or remove those until the thread gets to that episode?

I would hate to have any new viewers spoiled on that one in particular. Just imagine what you would have been robbed of had you been spoiled on it.

Rolling rolling on to day 4!

Today's Episode: "Key Decisions"

bwHWpr1.png

Synopsis - G.O.B. decides to lock himself in his father's prison for 24 hours to get back in with the alliance, and to spend quality time with his father. Michael takes G.O.B.'s girlfriend to an awards show, and Buster inadvertently flirts with his mother's rival.

Fireblend

Banned
Since I finished a rewatch so recently I didn't think I'd go for this, but yesterday my girlfriend insisted she wanted to watch AD, and we went ahead and watched the first 3 episodes. Damn, this show gets better every time I watch it.
KuGsj.gif

Xcellere

I had never seen AD up until last year, and it was only then my friend recommended I watch it. I've since seen all 3 seasons five times. Just an astonishing comedic achievement.

/awesomestory

adelante

The "friends of Dorothy" joke/reference flew right over my head cos I didn't know what the term meant (apart from the wicked witch reference) until I saw the LGBT thread here with that title and got reminded of that episode. heh

This really isn't much of a spoiler, but: (season?)

Tobias is pretty clearly gay from the first episode. The "possibly gay" thing mirrors how Smithers is treated in the Simpsons, where everyone knows it but nobody will say it. In the first episode not only does he walk onto the gay protest ship "accidentally" but at the end, when Lindsay straight up says: "You're gay" he answers with, "No, Lindsay... how many times do we have to have this co... no," ... it's clearly a topic that comes up repeatedly.

I think of Tobias' life as something of a cosmic joke where most of the things he does and says are taken by others to mean he's gay when he really is just oblivious. I don't think layering so much innuendo throughout the series to have him actually be gay is that satisfying. To have the other characters' perceptions of him be affected by him inadvertently appearing gay shows his own lack of control of other people and circumstance which is a common source of humor in comedies. And the fact that he is the main instigator of this misunderstanding makes it funnier.

My favorite part of this episode is Buster's reaction to Lucille 2. Tony Hale just nails the manic anxiety Buster, he really is the best actor on the show as far as pure talent is concerned.

TUSR

Banned
My favorite part of this episode is Buster's reaction to Lucille 2. Tony Hale just nails the manic anxiety Buster, he really is the best actor on the show as far as pure talent is concerned.

Not really a spoiler, but this is later confirmed when he says "Alias is a show about a spy" his performance sells it even though it doesn't seem like much of a joke.

^One of my favorite quotes from the episode. The reaction and delivery is great between the prisons, Gob, and George. Also, Lucille's snark “If I wanted to taste your fingers I’d lick the inside of your ear!”

Mmm...Best Marta

JTslbxml.jpg

RightClick+Saved

I think of Tobias' life as something of a cosmic joke where most of the things he does and says are taken by others to mean he's gay when he really is just oblivious. I don't think layering so much innuendo throughout the series to have him actually be gay is that satisfying. To have the other characters' perceptions of him be affected by him inadvertently appearing gay shows his own lack of control of other people and circumstance which is a common source of humor in comedies. And the fact that he is the main instigator of this misunderstanding makes it funnier.

lmao yep. Thats how i've always seen it.
There are a few times when Lindsay calls him oblivious too. So many people point it out to Tobias, but it escapes him even more. He is just a buy-curious kind of shopper. lol

I think that both are true, though. He's
totally oblivious
but that extends to his
totally being gay.
Really the entire show is about all of these people being oblivious in some way.

I like this episode because it introduced us to a great relationship Lucille Bluth/ Lucille Austero. Lucille 2 seems able to bring the worst from her and I love her for that.
"Well, my dear friend, Lucille Austero, is part-owner of a television station and I want to show up and hold my head high. I may not have her money anymore, but at least I have a live husband."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom