• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development GAF Pilgrimage: Recharging your chi one episode at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of Tobias' life as something of a cosmic joke where most of the things he does and says are taken by others to mean he's gay when he really is just oblivious. I don't think layering so much innuendo throughout the series to have him actually be gay is that satisfying. To have the other characters' perceptions of him be affected by him inadvertently appearing gay shows his own lack of control of other people and circumstance which is a common source of humor in comedies. And the fact that he is the main instigator of this misunderstanding makes it funnier.

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so I don't know if you've seen the show before or are watching it with a fresh perspective, so I'll spoiler this just in case (even though it's not really a spoiler at all).

Season 3
One of the major problems I had with this season is how Tobias went from being ambiguously gay to obviously gay. It seemed as though even Tobias was aware of his homosexual innuendos, which totally stripped the fun out of it.

Iceman

More Tobias (aka "Mr. Gay") references from Bringing Up Buster and Key Decisions: 4; 7 total.

Bringing Up Buster: (4) 8:35 "Sure, let the little fruit do it." [Jerry, the PE teacher]. (5) 9:53 "..not two young men playing grab-ass in the shower". (6) 11:52 [points to Steve Holt] "..for you are my Beatrice." (7) 17:26 "He thinks everyone is gay." [Maeby]

Key Decisions: Tobias was at a stage fighting workshop with Carl Weathers during this episode. I don't think he was mentioned at all outside of that line from Lindsay while up in the tree with Johnny Bark.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Just as Michael is about to profess his love to Marta, "Oh my God, Gob has been stabbed in the back."

Every single watch-through I find something new.

What was the episode where Tobias "punches" some dude in the face? That was seriously one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so I don't know if you've seen the show before or are watching it with a fresh perspective, so I'll spoiler this just in case (even though it's not really a spoiler at all).

Season 3
One of the major problems I had with this season is how Tobias went from being ambiguously gay to obviously gay. It seemed as though even Tobias was aware of his homosexual innuendos, which totally stripped the fun out of it.

I've seen the series multiple times. I think perhaps the jokes became more blatant, but I still don't think that we were ever given definitive proof. I mean, for example
when it comes to George Michael liking Maeby we know from the start that he's guilty of - what appear to him - incestuous feelings. We know it, he knows it. Tobias being gay, it is heavily hinted but never truly settled because to do so would ruin the fun.

That's just my interpretation, anyway.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I've seen the series multiple times. I think perhaps the jokes became more blatant, but I still don't think that we were ever given definitive proof. I mean, for example
when it comes to George Michael liking Maeby we know from the start that he's guilty of - what appear to him - incestuous feelings. We know it, he knows it. Tobias being gay, it is heavily hinted but never truly settled because to do so would ruin the fun.

That's just my interpretation, anyway.

Agreed.
Tobias never intends to have sex with a man, while George Michael most definitely gets to second base with Maeby.

Agreed.
Tobias never intends to have sex with a man, while George Michael most definitely gets to second base with Maeby.

Doesn't Tobias come this close to outright professing his "love" to the CIA agent in season three? I remember him saying something like, "wow, I'm glad you went first," implying that he would have said something regretful and embarrassing.

That was a moment that felt off to me. Tobias seemed confident and secure in his sexuality, which he isn't supposed to.

More Tobias (aka "Mr. Gay") references from Bringing Up Buster and Key Decisions: 4; 7 total.

Bringing Up Buster: (4) 8:35 "Sure, let the little fruit do it." [Jerry, the PE teacher]. (5) 9:53 "..not two young men playing grab-ass in the shower". (6) 11:52 [points to Steve Holt] "..for you are my Beatrice." (7) 17:26 "He thinks everyone is gay." [Maeby]

Key Decisions: Tobias was at a stage fighting workshop with Carl Weathers during this episode. I don't think he was mentioned at all outside of that line from Lindsay while up in the tree with Johnny Bark.

You forgot the part where GM and Maeby are about to kiss, and he says, "Stop, it's all wrong" and says the kiss "doesn't work." His solution? Make two guys kiss instead.

5 is the number of the day, and the number of the day shall be 5

Today's episode: "Charity Drive"

Q4MiI8u.png

Synopsis - To help the company's image, Lindsay returns to her roots - charity fund raisers. Michael tries to prove he's a more charitable person by helping a woman he thinks is his mother's housekeeper. Maebe, defying her parents, decides to break into the permit office, using George-Michael's help, and they learn a shocking secret about the Bluth Company. Meanwhile, Buster is tasked with bidding on his mother at the bachelorette charity auction, to disastrous results.

Iceman

You forgot the part where GM and Maeby are about to kiss, and he says, "Stop, it's all wrong" and says the kiss "doesn't work." His solution? Make two guys kiss instead.

That could stand alone.... I kinda rolled that into #5. He starts off with the kiss "not going to work" and jumps right into "you're playing two adults with fully formed libidos not boys playing grab-ass in the shower."

Not even one mention of Tobias in charity drive. Still waiting for Carl Weathers I suppose.

"...I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs.

Or, um, a banana that grabs things.

I don’t know.

Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don’t want to answer...."

Mild Spoiler in a future episode: I never noticed
the Mr. Banana Grabber in this title sequence. LOL
http://i.imgur.com/XNoxhWN.jpg

My "new joke I've never picked up on" for this episode:

"Give me a Gob." (asking GM to give him a frozen banana)

"GOB!"

I always liked that one. Cera's subtle naivete on full display there.

"...I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs.

Or, um, a banana that grabs things.

I don’t know.

Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don’t want to answer...."

Mild Spoiler in a future episode: I never noticed
the Mr. Banana Grabber in this title sequence. LOL
http://i.imgur.com/XNoxhWN.jpg

GM is also wearing the Banana Grabber shirt in the pilot, and I think it's made one or two other appearances in the first 5 already as well.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Doesn't Tobias come this close to outright professing his "love" to the CIA agent in season three? I remember him saying something like, "wow, I'm glad you went first," implying that he would have said something regretful and embarrassing.

That was a moment that felt off to me. Tobias seemed confident and secure in his sexuality, which he isn't supposed to.

That was all done unwittingly in my mind. Tobias is oblivious, which is what makes his character so funny.

Ya no

fuck this show is amazing. I'm on the 16th episode of the second season and I just started the series monday....... Can't believe I've overlooked this show in the past no idea what I was thinking! Every single character makes me laugh. I'm hooked bad.

Let me just give a quick reminder to everyone participating in the thread:
We already have a number of confirmed first time watchers in this thread. Please keep spoilers to a minimum and use spoiler tags when necessary. Spoilers entail any images, quotes, or plot discussion from any episode that hasn't been watched yet in the order. You guys know who you are, so it would be cool if you could edit some of your previous posts to that effect.

But this is a HAPPY occasion! Let's not worry about who spoiled who. Moving onto day 6.

Today's episode: "Visiting Ours"

5VP3e6u.png

Synopsis - Michael gets a tip about the company's international accounts, and has GOB question the office secretary Kitty about them. With their relationship on the rocks, Lindsey and Tobias see a marriage counselor. But that's not before Michael does the unthinkable - setting up a conjugal visit between George Sr. and Lucille.

Bear

I've watched each episode so many times...but I'm tempted to start again, especially after reading the few little nuggets I somehow still didn't notice. The degree of foreshadowing never ceases to amaze me, especially since I tend to rewatch the episodes piecemeal instead of chronologically.

Dammit, now I have to do it.

I've watched each episode so many times...but I'm tempted to start again, especially after reading the few little nuggets I somehow still didn't notice. The degree of foreshadowing never ceases to amaze me, especially since I tend to rewatch the episodes piecemeal instead of chronologically.

Dammit, now I have to do it.

one of us, one of us, one of us

iiicon

It's been about four years since my last series watchthrough of AD, so when I watched a few episodes last night I was surprised at how quickly the show burns through the "there's always money in the banana stand" joke. Not that it's a bad thing, I've just built this show up in my mind because it's associated with important parts of my life, and I thought it was some season-arching subplot. Nope! There's T-Bone, the flamer, in episode 2, doing what he does best.

Iceman

Gay Tobias references from Visiting Ours: 5; 12 total.

[8] 4:17, headshots include one of him in S&M gear; [9] 4:21, Lindsay tells Tobias that she "has needs, you know", referring to a lack of marital intimacy; [10] 4:30? Lindsay removes his towel and reveals his cutoffs, Tobias immediately goes and hides in the closet. (ashamed to be nude in front of wife) [11] 7:17, "Bravo. See, if I gave a performance that good I'd have my own Alias type show," beginning a long tradition of Tobias associating with female actors/roles. [12] 12:47, passionately plays the role of a woman (Lindsay) at the marriage counselors office, "because I'm a woman, with a woman's needs. And a woman's urges. And these, Tobias. When was the last time you looked at these?" [13] 13:58, Tobias ends his role play by nearly kissing the counselor (as Lindsay).

In God We Trust: a running total of 12.
None? This was the never-nude episode and most of Tobias's scenes were concerned with his rare psychological affliction. Maybe Tobias holding/eating a corn dog at the Living Classics Pageant (17:05, 17:13 & 17:34)? Just seemed overly phallic and stood out at the otherwise classy event.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

[8] 4:17, headshots include one of him in S&M gear; [9] 4:21, Lindsay tells Tobias that she "has needs, you know", referring to a lack of marital intimacy; [10] 7:17, "Bravo. See, if I gave a performance that good I'd have my own Alias type show," beginning a long tradition of Tobias associating with female actors/roles. [11] 12:47, passionately plays the role of a woman (Lindsay) at the marriage counselors office, "because I'm a woman, with a woman's needs. And a woman's urges. And these, Tobias. When was the last time you looked at these?" [12] 13:58, Tobias ends his role play by nearly kissing the counselor (as Lindsay).

In God We Trust: a running total of 12.
None? This was the never-nude episode and most of Tobias's scenes were concerned with his rare psychological affliction. Maybe Tobias holding/eating a corn dog at the Living Classics Pageant (17:05, 17:13 & 17:34)? Just seemed overly phallic and stood out at the otherwise classy event.

Just a note, S&M attire or cross-dressing doesn't necessarily mean one is gay.

Iceman

He's an idiot.

Just a note, S&M attire or cross-dressing doesn't necessarily mean one is gay.

No, youre right of course. I think its because later we have an episode where
T purchases a "daddy likes leather" outfit and then accidentally enters a gay s&m dance club and befriends/joins a barbershop quartet.
. It is probably jumping the gun though.

Ah crap, I fell asleep before I kicked off the next episode. Feel free to continue on without me guys if that happens, it likely won't be the last.

Today's episode: "In God We Trust"

UhUpuaE.png

Synopsis - Michael attempts to fire the family's incompetent but likable attorney. George Michael impresses Maeby with a muscle suit for a "Living Classics" pageant. Tobias has a psychological affliction where he is unable to take off his clothes.

Some of my favorite moments of the episode is when the Bluths lack of knowledge about Portugal or the spanish language is displayed like this:
"Maeby: Okay, so I printed the fake airline ticket from my computer. If my parents miss this, I really might go to South America. George Michael: That says Portugal. Maeby: That’s right."  
I also like this Barry moment:
"Barry: Are all the guys in here, you know...? George, Sr.: Oh, no, no, no, not all of them. Barry: Yeah, it’s never the one’s you hope. George, Sr.: Hope? Barry: Think.  "
And when Lucille says "He's very good" and later Michael sees one of Barry's benches with the same phrase.

Iceman

Some of my favorite moments of the episode is when the Bluths lack of knowledge about Portugal or the spanish language is displayed like this:
"Maeby: Okay, so I printed the fake airline ticket from my computer. If my parents miss this, I really might go to South America. George Michael: That says Portugal. Maeby: That’s right."  

Portugal? So Michael is going to live it on up down South America way.

Day ATE!

Today's episode: "My Mother, the Car"

qxg0A3s.png

Synopsis - Michael loses his short-term memory, which Lucille uses to her advantage. G.O.B. attempts to use the family yacht before Michael sells it. George Michael and Maeby attempt to see an R-rated movie about cousins having an affair. Buster and Lucille 2 take "the next step."

Iceman

My Mother the Car is a direct reference to a 1960s tv series of the same name that ran for only one season. It's considered to be one of the worst tv shows of all time. However, the connection between this episode and that show is thin if anything. That old series was about a car that was the literal reincarnation of some guy's mother and spoke to her son through the radio (Michael Bay a fan?). The only real connection I got was the theme song playing as Lindsay and Gob are watching tv at 6:24-6:34. Any other parallels - from experts of the original series?

Also, no Tobias sightings, references, or mentions in this episode. So the running total stays at 12, more or less.

Also, turn this skiff around!

Bear

Still playing catch up, but I just noticed another subtle joke in Visiting Ours. When George Michael says "I don't get the hair joke", it's referring to the fact that Oscar hasn't been introduced yet so the audience won't get it either.

Might have been obvious to some of you, but I missed that joke every time because I didn't watch it in order. I picked up on the foreshadowing on George Sr's wig use, but that's it.

G.O.B. is amazing in this episode:
  • "Well, they got the Asian right. 'Hotties' might be a stretch. Well, let’s start with the little one. " 
  • Lindsay: It would just give Dad one more reason to think that I’ve got nothing to offer but my looks. G.O.B.: Yeah, I got some of that. Except he also didn’t like my looks.  
  • Michael: I can’t believe she got that driver’s license renewed. G.O.B.: She didn’t. I dummied her up a new one. Not my best work, though. She wanted to look 48. I nearly airbrushed her into oblivion. Ended up checking 'albino' in the form.

Season 3

exactly. Honestly Season 3 kinda ruined the series for me and I hope season 4 is more like the first 2 seasons.

Day 9, one for every dysfunctional member of the bluth family

Today's episode: "Storming the Castle"

u7yp0KL.png

Synopsis - Michael cannot go through with his plan to break up G.O.B. and Marta. A thug magician wants to take G.O.B.'s "legs". Maeby wears all leather to get back at her mother, and Lucille decides to confront Buster's relationship with Lucille 2.

I jumped the gun am already on Season 3. God I cannot wait for 5/26

The episode where Michael finds out about Rita is very sad / well done.

[8] 4:17, headshots include one of him in S&M gear; [9] 4:21, Lindsay tells Tobias that she "has needs, you know", referring to a lack of marital intimacy; [10] 7:17, "Bravo. See, if I gave a performance that good I'd have my own Alias type show," beginning a long tradition of Tobias associating with female actors/roles. [11] 12:47, passionately plays the role of a woman (Lindsay) at the marriage counselors office, "because I'm a woman, with a woman's needs. And a woman's urges. And these, Tobias. When was the last time you looked at these?" [12] 13:58, Tobias ends his role play by nearly kissing the counselor (as Lindsay).

You missed the reference that when Lindsay removes his towel and reveals his cutoffs, Tobias immediately goes and hides in the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom