• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development GAF Pilgrimage: Recharging your chi one episode at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

You missed the reference that when Lindsay removes his towel and reveals his cutoffs, Tobias immediately goes and hides in the closet.

I'll add that one. How did I not realize that he shouldnt be emarassed about his thunder in front of his wife?

Also, counted 6 new references in Storming the Castle. I'll edit their time stamps in later today. That'll bring the total to 19.

edit:
[14] 9:40 “You have to be some sort of She-hulk to get this..”
[15] 9:53 “...but my purse overfloweth, as do my my high spirits. So a shopping we must go!”
[16] 10:17 “I'm looking for something that says, 'dad likes leather.' [leather clothier] “Something that says, 'leather daddy?'” [Tobias] Oh, is there such a thing?
[17] 13:21 Tobias arrives at the model home in a complete leather outfit, jean cutoffs visible through the assless chaps.
[18] 16:13 Tobais shows up at the Gothic A*#hole instead of the Gothic Castle in his leather outfit, resembling the other patrons; and is allowed quick entry – because he subconsciously knew the “magic” word.
[19] 21:03 Tobias sings with an all-leather barbershop quartet. One of the men ends the song with a snap of a whip.

ruxtpin

Banned
I was channel surfing this past weekend and clicked by one of the "Mummy" movies (the one's with Brendan Fraser). I just happened to flip by a scene with the Pharoah's chica (the one who wears the fishnets and see through clothes) and thought, "Hey, she looks familiar."

Jumped to imdb... I did not know that "Second Marta" was also Anck Su Namun (the Pharoah's mistress/lover)!

Hindle

Banned
Just finished Storming the castle. George Micheals legs were hilarious, not to mention its the first time the final countdown music is played.

Zeppu

Posted on the FB page. Not really spoilers since there's nothing to get if you haven't already watched the series.
u0tvWZA.jpg

Posted on the FB page. Not really spoilers since there's nothing to get if you haven't already watched the series.
u0tvWZA.jpg

Ah yes, my favorite Arrested Development jokes:

no see shirts o'window
invisible man bothered by stacks of money
poop math with metal spikes
swag in the banana chair
maypole - ski pole bee tonight
caution graph
boater clock delight
eye-clam - seals
corn baseball digging

Zeppu

Ah yes, my favorite Arrested Development jokes:

no see shirts o'window
invisible man bothered by stacks of money
poop math with metal spikes
swag in the banana chair
maypole - ski pole bee tonight
caution graph
boater clock delight
eye-clam - seals
corn baseball digging

You're terrible at this.

Iceman

He's being obtuse.

at least we've already watched the eipsode with the cornballer/holing joke (bringing up buster).

And money in the banana stand.
And Top Banana's fire sale.
Tobias: Oh, my God, we’re having a fire. Sale. Oh, the burning! It burns me! Evacuate all the schoolchildren! (Screaming. Singing “Amazing Grace.”) This isn’t a fever! (Continues singing.) Can’t even see where the knob is! (Dramatic sigh.) And scene.  

Iceman

Just got one: brownish area, with points.

Also, les cousins dangeroux.

The one with the bee and the moon is from season 2 right?

Zeppu

Rebus answers
No I in teamocil
Brownish area with points
Maybe tonight
Afternoon Delight
I sell seals
Cornballer/holing
$xxxx Suit, COME ON!
Money in the banana stand
Mrs. Featherbottom
Dangerous Cousins
Fire sale

Iceman

Jumping the gun here, but ep. 10, aka Pier Pressure, had no mention or sighting of Tobias. But it had oodles of J. Walter Weatherman.

And that's why you don't yell.

Bonus: Make a mistake!

Prematurely shooting one's wad may be acceptable in this instance.

Day 1010 (or day 10 for you non-binary speakers!)

Today's episode: "Pier Pressure"

duQuVZV.png

Synopsis - Buster realizes that medical marijuana will help cure Lucille 2's vertigo, and pays George Michael to get it for him from G.O.B.. Lindsay sends Maeby to spend a day with Lucille to punish her for bad grades. Michael thinks George Michael is on drugs and attempts to teach him a lesson.

inm8num2

Prematurely shooting one's wad may be acceptable in this instance.

Day 1010 (or day 10 for you non-binary speakers!)

Today's episode: "Pier Pressure"

duQuVZV.png

Synopsis - Buster realizes that medical marijuana will help cure Lucille 2's vertigo, and pays George Michael to get it for him from G.O.B.. Lindsay sends Maeby to spend a day with Lucille to punish her for bad grades. Michael thinks George Michael is on drugs and attempts to teach him a lesson.

I love when Gob puffs out the smoke.

Iceman

It's cold outside.

Why don't you save your lectures for your son?.. If he can remember them.

Lets not forget Lucille (1) who's especially vicious this episode:

If you're worried about criticism, sometimes a diet is the best defense.

Its in shape of an elephant. I didn't want to invite the comparison.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's cold outside.
I had forgotten about that joke.

Also loved:

Michael: [about George Michael's test] A-?
George Michael: Are you proud of me?
Michael: Very proud... minus.

Michael: Your Uncle Gob seems to think that he saw you down at the docks today. Was that you?
George Michael: No. No. Maybe it was the other George Michael. You know, the singer-songwriter.
Michael: Yeah, that makes sense.

Gob: They're strippers! Look how hot they are!

The lesson stuff was amusing as well.

This was probably my favorite episode up to this point in the series. Only downside was a lack of Tobias.

Probably one of my favorite eps of the series. This is the one I've shown to many friends over the last 8+ years to convince them to watch the entire series and its worked like a charm.

Whenever I see this episode it makes me want to light my
QAcNav5m.jpg
like a cigarrette

Random favorite quotes:

• "Michael:I want you to take the rest of the day off. Here's 20 bucks, buy something you don't need, be a kid, make mistakes, get in trouble.
    Buster: Yes, make a mistake. Take 225 from me."
  • "George Sr.: Oh, he's dead. You killed him when you left the door open with the air conditioning on."
  • "George Michael: Dumb, dumb George Michael, dumb..."
  • "Michael: Very proud... minus."
  • "Where have you been? I am like a caged animal. My old lady's on the floor, man. I am not essing around."
    zGw6rAE.gif

BTW, I did refer to it as our nausea.. but you know, that's when we were going at it really hot and heavy.

Well, now it's my nausea.

11 days, 11 more ways to say "I love AD."

Today's episode: "Public Relations"

9NTDw3H.png

Synopsis - The family's new public relations director gives them each a task while Michael tries to get his son in the prestigious Milford Academy. Buster, a graduate, is to be neither seen nor heard. Tobias heads to Boston to get his medical license back, only to meet Carl Weathers on the way there, and GOB makes the academy's founder disappear.

Watching this episode I remember an interview with Mitch about when Jessie and Buster first meet at the meeting at the Bluth house. Apparently the line "Stay out of the spotlight. People find you weird and alienating" was one actually uttered by a fox exec when they first screened the show, leading Hurwitz to dedicate the majority of the 3rd episode's plot to making Buster a more understood character - but of course not sacrificing any of his weird idiosyncrasies.

Watching this episode I remember an interview with Mitch about when Jessie and Buster first meet at the meeting at the Bluth house. Apparently the line "Stay out of the spotlight. People find you weird and alienating" was one actually uttered by a fox exec when they first screened the show, leading Hurwitz to dedicate the majority of the 3rd episode's plot to making Buster a more understood character - but of course not sacrificing any of his weird idiosyncrasies.

Yup, though I don't think the line was a direct quote, other than the "weird and alienating" part.

They did a great job using Bringing Up Buster to make his character a spotlight character though. Still one of the best episodes too.

Iceman

Tobias is b
l
ack! Counted only 2 new references in Public Relations, bringing the total to 21.

[20] 6:10 "There are very few intelligent, attactive, and straight men in this town." [Jesse]
"Well, that certainly leaves me out." [Tobias]
Awkward pause, staring by everyone.
"Did... She said single. You did say single, right? I.. thought I..”

[21] 16:03 “I don't know if I'm cut out to be a DeNiro, a Regis, or a Pinkett-Smith.” Referring to Jada Pinkett-Smith, again associating himself with a female actor/character.

Love this episode by the way. Michael's gum-spitting at the gym, and Ron Howard's personal response/warning to Jesse after her use of "Opie" as a pejorative were highlights. And anytime the whole gang is in the same room it's something special I think.

You'll have a new name, Hero.

That could work for me.

*&%^! You're married to Carl Weathers!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Michael has a couple real awkward lines this episode:

Michael: Okay, sure, she’s, uh, she’s cute. I suppose. I mean, now that you’re making me think about it. Uh, she’s cute. She’s a cutie. She’s a little cutie pie. But I never really noticed.

Michael: Jessie... No, I was just saying your name as you walked away. I didn’t... I have no follow-up.

I agree with George Michael that Jessie was a psycho...but I'd use a different word we're not allowed to say to describe women anymore.

Also, Carl Weathers is great. His best line hasn't been said yet though.

I love these Buster moments:
  • "Buster so excelled at being neither seen nor heard that he remained at the school, undetected, for a full two semesters after he was supposed to graduate." And all those shots of him lurking around wearing that wallpaper matching shirt throughout the episode.
  • Buster: Uh, I’m unclear about what it is exactly you do.
    Jessie: Excellent question. What a publicist does...
    Buster: No, no, I was talking to George Michael. When did you get a job?
    George Michael: At the banana stand.
    Buster: (Laughs.) Oh, duh. I thought you meant, like, a plumber or something, and I was, like, when did that happen?
And the look that Lucille gives to Tobias after he responds to "There are very few intelligent, attractive and straight men in this town."

Iceman

Lucille seems to always have the upper hand in tete-a-tete's with Lindsay. She was especially pernicious in this episode.

Lindsay: Come on. I've suddenly lost my appetite.
Lucille: Oh, who's going to believe that?

later:

Oh, please! Anything I've said about you can be covered up with makeup and a lie about a thyroid problem.

An-Det

Public Relations also has one of my favorite Lucille quotes. In the meeting with Jessie and the family, she calls Lucille cold, then seconds later when Jessie suggests playing up George Sr's new religion she quips "Yeah. Who doesn't love the Jews?". Cracks me up every time, cold indeed.

Pedrito

George Michael Bluth: You know, I have a job.
Tobias Fünke: [coughing] Kiss ass... well we were all thinking it.
Buster: Uh, I'm unclear about what it is exactly you do...
Jessie: Excellent question, what a publicist does is...
Buster: No, no, no I was talking to George Michael. When did you get a job?
George Michael Bluth: At the banana stand.
Buster: Oh! Duh! I thought you meant like a plumber or something and I was like 'when did that happen?'

One of my favorite exchanges in the whole serie.

Look out, we got a double feature today! The epic conclusion to whirlwind Marta saga!

Today's episodes: "Marta Complex" & "Beef Consommé"

Marta Complex
nmkToNg.png

Synopsis - When Lucille throws an anniversary party for Tobias and Lindsay on Valentine's Day, Michael gives an impassioned speech about love. This makes Marta realize she has feelings for him and Lindsay realize she wants a divorce. Meanwhile, Buster decides to move out of the penthouse and Lucille revels in living alone for the first time.

Beef Consommé

72hAm24.png

Synopsis - After learning that Marta has feelings for him, Michael goes to her and they decide to get permission from G.O.B. before taking things to the next level. Meanwhile, Lindsay and Tobias finally get to the heart of his "never-nude" problem as George Sr. faces his first hearing.

Double feature?! Whats the occasion?

The occasion of "I started this marathon a few days too late to do just one per day so I had to arbitrarily double up on certain days in order to keep pace with the new season premiere" :p

But I tried to pick those episodes where the story is a bit more serialized than others so they at least made some kinda logical sense, and avoiding spoilers of the outcome for the newcomers would be a bit less of an issue when the full arc is contained in a single day. Ideally I would have tried to relegate double headers to weekends, but it was getting late when I finished the OP and I couldn't be arsed to reconfigure the whole schedule

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm glad today is a double feature, "Marta Complex" ends on a cliffhanger.

The more I watch the show I realize George Michael inherited his awkwardness from Michael.

I love Carl Weather's portrayal. I especially love Tobias's reaction to his stew comments, mostly because of the music played.

I hope Michael finds someone in season 4.

Jokes on you guys...Its hard for me to not watch two eps of AD in a row. So I've been sneaking in some episodes on my free days.

I think that makes the joke on Gob...

Iceman

Jokes on you guys...Its hard for me to not watch two eps of AD in a row. So I've been sneaking in some episodes on my free days.

I think that makes the joke on Gob...

Gob is like the cock of the walk, but not you. You are so kind. You're sensitive, like a woman.

bonus: You may not be good with women, but you are great with other people's women.

I love the use of spanish in these episodes: I've met her. I fell for her. I've been watching her program. El amor prohibido. "The Love that is Forbidden." She is the love that's forbidden. The love of my hermano.

later: You know, there is a guy who plays her older brother on her show. I think his name is Tio.

The speech scene has quickly become one of my favorite scenes in the series.

Mostly because, one time, me and my brother seriously did that at a family thanksgiving party. Everyone started clapping and cheering "Speech!" even though it didn't lead to an actual speech. Still slays me to this day.

Today's episode: "Shock and Aww"

RgPT9or.png

Synopsis - Michael falls for George Michael's ethics teacher, Miss Baerly, whom his son also has a crush on. Meanwhile, Lucille adopts a 14-year-old Korean boy, and George Sr.'s "Caged Wisdom" tapes have given him a new admirer.

Synopsis - Michael falls for George Michael's ethics teacher, Miss Baerly, whom his son also has a crush on. Meanwhile, Lucille adopts a 14-year-old Korean boy, and George Sr.'s "Caged Wisdom" tapes have given him a new admirer.

It makes sense that George Michael would have a crush on Ms. Baerly when he has a crush on Maeby as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom