• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development GAF Pilgrimage: Recharging your chi one episode at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Thread's died down a bit, honeymoon period seems to be over. Oh cruel fate! Yet we who remain soldier on.

Today's episode: "Missing Kitty"

RZXquJs.png

Synopsis - G.O.B. attempts to make good on his promise to make the family yacht disappear. Meanwhile, Lindsay and Maeby try to track down Lindsay's grandmother, Tobias seeks George Sr.'s respect, and Michael attempts to fire Kitty, who claims to have information that could bring down the company.

And a fun fact - this episode was actually originally written and shot as episode 16. You can see remnants of this in the fact that Tobias is still practicing for the frightened inmate #2 part he lost last episode, and there is no mention of GOB's new wife until the next episode with his
bachelor party turned crime scene
The assistant is extremely hot to me.

Iceman

The assistant is extremely hot to me.

Up here, boutdown. Up here.

Not Without My Daughter:

NO TOUCHING!

Her confidence - through the roof.

Tobias: Well, of course I could get a job as a security guard. I mean, if I have to have a job to impress my daughter. If she needs something that butch.

that's definitely one for the Tobias is at least subconsciously gay quote pile.

Also, Michael: Is that what you want?
Tobias: Oh, God, no.
Michael: Because this could be where your daughter is headed.
Tobias: Oh, no, no. I don't want this for Maeby either.

Tobias is definitely the best part of the episode but I liked that Lindsay finally did something responsible even if she felt embarrassed about it: Well, they expect a certain amount of theft, Michael. It’s built into the price. If I didn’t take it, then people would be overpaying for nothing.

Iceman

OMG! In todays ep, let them eat cake, michael suggests to george michael that they could go anywhere, including "the baseball hall of fame". Were they foreshadowing a hilarious sight gag from season 3?

Or was it pure coincidence?

also, there is a man inside me, and only when he is finally out can I finally walk free.. of pain.

(holy crap, tobias!)

Wow. Is this just a coincidence or did you plan it? Today is Bring Your Daughter to Work day.

*shifty eyes* let's just pretend I'm a genius and totally planned that out *shifty eyes*
I wish

Today's episode: "Let 'Em Eat Cake"

Du8KFVo.png

Synopsis - In the first season finale, George Sr. has a heart attack, and Maeby is jealous when George Michael likes another girl. Meanwhile, Lindsay decides to leave Tobias until a book he wrote a long time ago becomes a gay bestseller, and Buster and Annyong compete over women.

One of the best episodes of the season.
  • Maeby talking about Anne: She barely has a face! You couldn’t pick her out of a line-up of one!
  • Dr. Fishman's Excuse me, Mr. Bluth. We lost him. He just, uh... got away from us. I’m sorry.
  • Tobias being oblivious “...for there’s a man inside me, and only when he’s finally out, can I walk free of pain.”
  • Lucille's loving words to Lindsay What kind of diet is this? It’s too much meat. I want all of you off this immediately. (To Lindsay.) Except you.
  • Gob'sOh, that is just great. Now, I'm expected to climb back on top of Kitty and do my thing again. I mean, this family runs into problems and it's "Oh, let's have Gob (bleep) our way out of it."
  • Barry talking and cutting to a still shot of a rest area.
  • Lindsay's business and her hopes for the future: Soon I’ll be in the red, and you can take that to the bank!

One of the best episodes of the season.
  • Maeby talking about Anne: She barely has a face! You couldn’t pick her out of a line-up of one!
  • Dr. Fishman's Excuse me, Mr. Bluth. We lost him. He just, uh... got away from us. I’m sorry.
  • Tobias being oblivious “...for there’s a man inside me, and only when he’s finally out, can I walk free of pain.”
  • Lucille's loving words to Lindsay What kind of diet is this? It’s too much meat. I want all of you off this immediately. (To Lindsay.) Except you.
  • Gob'sOh, that is just great. Now, I'm expected to climb back on top of Kitty and do my thing again. I mean, this family runs into problems and it's "Oh, let's have Gob (bleep) our way out of it."
  • Barry talking and cutting to a still shot of a rest area.
  • Lindsay's business and her hopes for the future: Soon I’ll be in the red, and you can take that to the bank!

I really do love Fishman's bits. I grew up watching the Naked Gun movies, so that kind of corny screwball humor is my bread and butter.

New season new season NEW SEASON! Moving on to season 2!

Today's episode: "The One Where Michael Leaves"

FygBm4p.png

Synopsis - George Sr. is at large, making Michael next in line to be prosecuted for the Bluth Company crimes. Meanwhile, Michael is vexed to find that the family is fine without him, and police mistake Oscar for George Sr. and arrest him.

Today's episode: "The One Where Michael Leaves"
Haha. I love Michael's face at 2:21...
"Buster has become impossible to control, suddenly he is too much of a big shot to brush mother's hair."
Michael isn't sure if he should be proud of Buster or disgusted.

HAH "or are you too old to sit on your pop's lap and drive?"

"LET THE GREAT EXPERIMENT BEGIN!"

"for the same reason you should believe a 100 hundred dollar bill is no more than 100 pennies!"

I love every episode of this show.

Also...
so that kind of corny screwball humor is my bread and butter.

This is a great episode. I loved Michael's reaction when they interrupted him with the blender or Lucille's rape horn (“Oh, help me Michael, I think my husband might be a ho...”). Maeby being jealous of Bland Ann (Maeby: Really? Because, I mean, under her school picture, it said, “Not pictured.”). Lucille's legendary creepy double wink:
EwcjMrR.gif

And more of Dr. Fishman's wonderful scenes:
Dr. Fishman: Excuse me, Mrs. Fünke.
Lucille: Oh, this guy again.
Michael: How is he, doctor?
Dr. Fishman: It looks like he’s dead.
Lucille: Oh my god!
G.O.B.: Oh little guy. The tears aren’t coming. The tears just aren’t coming.
Michael: Just to be clear. Looks like he’s dead, or he is dead?
Dr. Fishman: It just looks like he’s dead. He’s got like blue paint on him or something. But he’s going to be fine.
G.O.B.: What is wrong with you?
Maeby: This [bleep]ing doctor!
Dr. Fishman: I’ll let you celebrate privately.
Lucille: We want this comped!

Doctor Fishman: You look really hot.
Narrator: ... but instead is admitted to the hospital with a fever of 104.

Divius

I've though about joining you guys for this rewatch even though I watched the entire series a few weeks back.

Thing is, if I do I will not be able to contain myself and finish the entire series within a week thus defeating the purpose.

"Like anyone would want to 'R' her..."

iZnU7xt.png

"This is what I’m talking about, Michael...Now that your father has deserted us, Buster has become impossible to control. Suddenly he’s too much of a big-shot to brush mother’s hair."

LOL

I'm rewatching the season 3 episode "Cabin Fever" on TV right now. I'm still finding new jokes.

When it shows Gob's high school yearbook, one of the girl's nicknames is "Sure thing Sherri." when the narrator highlights the girls who got pregnant in high school she is one of them.

Small joke but funny.

EDIT: Whoops, the title is "The Cabin Show."

And now we go on to one of my favorite episodes in the series!

Today's episode: "The One Where They Build A House"

kN9hFlp.png

Synopsis - Michael is driven crazy by G.O.B. when he impresses the board as the new company figurehead due to Michael's legal troubles. Meanwhile, George Sr. is arrested in Mexico for a crime Oscar committed, and Buster witnesses something that utterly shocks him.

5LPX4WR.gif

Michael's reaction at the end never fails to get me absolutely rolling.
That part is hilarious. Michael never recognizing who she is always so funny. George Michael, I'm sure that Egg is a very nice person... and the spending all your money to get her all glittered up for Easter.
z6RyLa2.gif

I liked the army's recruitment of Buster:
Buster: They're taking me in the army. They didn't think there was enough wrong with me.
Lucille: Well, did they check everything?
Buster: Yes! They even touched my Charlie Browns.

Iceman

A subtle joke I just noticed in this episode (The one where they build a house/I'm Tom Jane) was that Buster Bluth replicated a stunt originally done by Buster Keaton in Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928)

An homage?

busterkeatonunderfalltdux9.jpg

"A scene from Steamboat Bill Jr. required Keaton to run into the shot and stand still on a particular spot. Then, the facade of a two-story building toppled forward on top of Keaton. Keaton's character emerged unscathed, thanks to a single open window which passed directly over him. The stunt required precision, because the prop house weighed two tons, and the window only offered a few inches of space around Keaton's body. The sequence became one of the iconic images of Keaton's career." /wikipedia

Also, I'm imagining that in this universe, ten years later, "They Shoot Heroin, Don't They?" is considered as classic as Trainspotting, and "Homeless Dad" was a billion dollar success.

A subtle joke I just noticed in this episode (The one where they build a house/I'm Tom Jane) was that Buster Bluth replicated a stunt originally done by Buster Keaton in Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928)

An homage?

busterkeatonunderfalltdux9.jpg

"A scene from Steamboat Bill Jr. required Keaton to run into the shot and stand still on a particular spot. Then, the facade of a two-story building toppled forward on top of Keaton. Keaton's character emerged unscathed, thanks to a single open window which passed directly over him. The stunt required precision, because the prop house weighed two tons, and the window only offered a few inches of space around Keaton's body. The sequence became one of the iconic images of Keaton's career." /wikipedia

Also, I'm imagining that in this universe, ten years later, "They Shoot Heroin, Don't They?" is considered as classic as Trainspotting, and "Homeless Dad" was a billion dollar success.

nice catch, never knew that one

Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep that AD goin'

Today's episode: "¡Amigos!"

aRnzxBR.png

Synopsis - Michael is increasingly frustrated over being abandoned by the family, and when the staircar is found in Mexico, Michael vows to find his father and give him a piece of his mind. Also, Buster spends time with Lupe's family and thinks he's in Mexico.

Iceman

I can see that's a man.

this might be my favorite one.. maybe because it's really just part one of two. As a whole, amigos and good grief, are my favorite episode(s) of the series.

Way to plant, Ann.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I can see that's a man.

this might be my favorite one.. maybe because it's really just part one of two. As a whole, amigos and good grief, are my favorite episode(s) of the series.

Way to plant, Ann.

Mine too. I can watch Amigos over and over again.

A fantastic episode and definitely one of the best of the show. And it has so many amazing quotes:
SRxANqg.gif

Michael: Ann's here?
George Michael: Yeah, I invited her. You said you wanted to spend some time with her. You said I was being an Ann-Hog.
Michael: Ann-Hog's coming?

George Michael: Way to plant, Ann.
Michael: George Michael, why don't you and Plant just wait in the stair-car?

Buster: Make love in your own hand, mother!
Tobias: I figured if I blue myself early I'd be nice and relaxed for a nine o'clock dinner reservation.
sc2sZ3W.gif

"gene? you're not that good..."

"I counted. Come ON..."

"But you don't... have any friends?"

Also, for those who didn't notice, the first two episodes of the season are named started with "The one where ____" this is a direct reference to Friends which named its episodes in the same format. And of course in this third episode, Amigos is spanish for "friends." I don't know why I know that, I took 4 years of Portuguese.

You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, because neither one of us wants to get divorced.

Xe461xW.jpg

And second-of-ly, I know you're the big marriage expert - oh, I'm sorry, I forgot...your wife is dead!

douche chill

Iceman

And second-of-ly, I know you're the big marriage expert - oh, I'm sorry, I forgot...your wife is dead!

That was such a horrible/awkward moment. And I always imagine Tobias saying "secondably" making him sound all the more childish.

About Amigos = friends, as a continuation of the first two episode titles of season 2, I never would have put those together.

I wonder.. (did someone say wonder?).. Sad Sack follows Good Grief.. I don't know if there was a conscious decision to follow a theme in those episode titles, their plots aren't that tightly related.

Rewatching the second season now. I love Pop-Pop hiding in the attic. haha. I forgot how funny Ice was too.

The crane and the Banana suit was too much!

Another classic coming up today

Today's episode: "Good Grief"

IM3iC2e.png

Synopsis - Lucille hires Ice, the bounty hunter to find George Sr., who may be closer than everyone thinks. G.O.B. tries to pull off an elaborate illusion, Maeby tries to set Lindsay up with Ice, and Michael tries to mend George Michael's broken relationship.

Also, cross-posting from the season 4 thread for all those concerned.

A word to the wise, there is a world premiere of some/all of the new episodes at the red carpet today. We could be seeing some major spoilers pop up on the internet come tomorrow. Be on your guard, everyone, AND SPOILER TAGS!

Iceman

He's another year older and - another year closer to death.

the way GOB does this line is sooo authentic. Caught me by surprise.

But the greatest line(s) of the episode, among so many great ones:

Tobias: Here he comes. Here comes John Wayne. I’m not gonna cry about my pa. I’m gonna build me an airport, put my name on it. Why, Michael? So you can fly away from your feelings? You can keep them bottled up, Michael, but they will come out. Sometimes in the most unexpected [looks inside fridge] Hey, where the f$^! are my hard-boiled eggs?

TUSR

Banned
Also, cross-posting from the season 4 thread for all those concerned.

Cross posting about the cross post

Ive been linking a lot of images and such in the thread. Click on them at your own risk, as you could count anything as a spoiler. Returning characters, plot details, etc etc.

And todays episode is hilarious.

Z3u8mpL.gif
I love this episode: the hilarious Charlie Brown walk accompanied by other Peanuts references, Lindsay wearing the SLUT shirt at the wake of George Sr., the Ann-Hog attending the ceremony, and Buster believing the whole thing was a birthday party. These are some of my favorite quotes from the episode:
  • Michael: Well, I just figured that life's too short. You two seem to care about each other, so why throw that away, huh? Huh? Ok.
    (Ann walks away)
    George Michael: You think we really do?
    Michael: A father can tell. Ok? It's as Ann as the nose on plain's face.

• Narrator: As a child, Buster had a beloved parakeet who, after landing on their housekeeper Rosa's wig, flew away when she took out the trash ... and into a transformer. When Buster found out, he destroyed the family's kitchen -- believing this to be where Rosa lived.
  • Lucille: (to Oscar, who's standing naked with his robe open) Oscar, close it! You look like the window of a butcher shop.
  • George Michael: I have Pop-Pop in the attic.
    Michael: What? The mere fact that you call making love "pop pop" tells me you're not ready.

• Maeby: That's got to bother you, huh Dad? I mean, she's flirting right in front of you.
    Tobias: Hmm? Oh, no. I am surprised though that she's going after somebody so similar to my own type. But I suppose we all do expose our inner desires, don't we?
    Maeby: I think you just did.
    Tobias: No I didn't.

• Lindsay: You know what? I'm going to throw on a skirt, take off my underwear, and make your Pop-pop proud!
t61epiH.gif

Gob: Gary's gay?
Michael: Yeah.
Gob: Uh-oh. He's going to think I was coming on to him.
(Flashback)
Gob: (to Gary) You've got a nice mouth.
(Another flashback)
Gob: I'd kill for that ass.
(Another flashback)
Gob: (with Gary on his lap) Okay, the chair's not doing it now, but, lately, it's been giving out as soon as I lean back
xe1ID24.gif

Iceman

I love this episode: the hilarious Charlie Brown walk accompanied by other Peanuts references

Can you mention those peanuts references, if you can recall them off hand?

See what I did there?
man, even the question mark alludes to buster's hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom