• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

test_account

XP-39C²
I've heard a story about a girl that lost a cellphone "in there" hehe. Dunno if its true tho, but as you say, many crazy people out there so its no suprise if someone have tried it with a Wii controller lol ;)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jaded Alyx said:
PhoenixWrightPS3Sales.gif

A classic GIF to say the least

Mixing NPD + Phoenix Wright Awesomeness = Hardcore Win

ziran

:lol @ PW gif!

test_account said:
No, this is what happends after 22 pages of discussing that Nintendo owns and Sony am doomed.
Well, Nintendo is selling incredible amounts of hw and sw, but I think the posts in recent MC threads are just as much from amazement at Sony's complete and utter incompetence in handling the first 6 months of PS3.

It's not just 'Sony am doomed' silliness, it's more 'WTF is Sony playing at?'.

test_account

XP-39C²
ziran said:
Well, Nintendo is selling incredible amounts of hw and sw, but I think the posts in recent MC threads are just as much from amazement at Sony's complete and utter incompetence in handling the first 6 months of PS3.

It's not just 'Sony am doomed' silliness, it's more 'WTF is Sony playing at?.

Nintendo is owning in Japan, no doubt about that, but in every MC thread i see alot of "Sony am doomed! Nintendo is crushing them!" stuff. Been going on for months now, doesnt people get tired of it? :) Of course there are serious posts too, but still too much "Sony am doomed" stuff.

enishi

Only 1 significant new title - Final Fantasy Tactics PSP released on 10th May.

It sold >100k on first day (about 60% of first shipment). It is the 4th title that can break 100k mark on first day (first 3 were Monster Hunter Portable, SD Gundam G Generation Portable and Monster Hunter Portable 2).

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10033249897.html

Looks like it will be S-E week on next chart.

P.S. the gif, simply excellent :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
test_account said:
Nintendo is owning in Japan, no doubt about that, but in every MC thread i see alot of "Sony am doomed! Nintendo is crushing them!" stuff. Been going on for months now, doesnt people get tired of it? :) Of course there are serious posts too, but still too much "Sony am doomed" stuff.

What do you expect when sales threads main focus is a battle between company sales...

People complaining about thread contents that's actually relevent...that's a new for me! :D

Aeris130

test_account said:

Semantics... :p

test_account

XP-39C²
F#A#Oo said:
What do you expect when sales threads main focus is a battle between company sales...

I dont expect anything. Still doesnt change the facts that its alot of "Sony am doomed!" posts. I guess it will go over some time tho, i hardly see any 360 comments so i guess people eventually get tired of saying the same things over and over for months.

F#A#Oo said:
People complaining about thread contents that's actually relevent...that's a new for me! :D

Where am i complaining? Even if this was a complaint, would this really be the first time you see people complain about relevant things? What else do you see people complain about, irrevelant things? If so, too bad i wasnt complaining or else you could have experienced something new here :)

Aeris130 said:
Semantics... :p

What?

F#A#Oo

Banned
test_account said:
I dont expect anything. Still doesnt change the facts that its alot of "Sony am doomed!" posts. I guess it will go over some time tho, i hardly see any 360 comments so i guess people eventually get tired of saying the same things over and over for months.

Where am i complaining? Even if this was a complaint, would this really be the first time you see people complain about relevant things? What else do you see people complain about, irrevelant things? If so, too bad i wasnt complaining or else you could have experienced something new here :)

What?

Let me introduce you to...Merriam-Webster

2Qr.

test_account said:

What?
cryspideycryei0zg1.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
test_account said:
There are still some diehard Sony defenders out there, which is probably why the comments still happen. You don't really see any 360 defending, hence the lack of comments.

But it does happen to any company, not just Sony - when Bebpo went on his "X360 is going to turnaround in Japan" raving, the 360 sales comments came back for a little while.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ye, i can understand the humor in the comments of course. Sony was pretty much dominating for 10 years, Nintendo was behind. The last 6 months its a complete turnaround (i know DS have done better than 6 months tho) so maybe many people see the oportunity to come with the comments because of this, dont know. But doing it for so long, i would think people would get tired of it quicker. Maybe its new people all the time hehe :)

Thraktor

Alright, I've realised that the chart I posted a few pages back is a bit off (I hadn't lined the years up quite right), so here's the corrected one.

MC_top10entry_yearly_fixed.png

For those wondering, it's a chart of the amount of sales necessary to get into the Media-Create top 10 on any one week (ie the sales of the 10th placed game). It's intended to show how much more difficult it is to get into the top 10 since the DS started dominating the chart. If I had a bit more data from when the PS2 was at its peak it might be more useful, but as it is it shows the following:

- For the weeks I have data, a game needed, on average, 45% more sales to get into the top 10 in 2006 than it would have in the same week in 2005.
- For the first 18 weeks of 2007, games have needed on average 17% more sales to crack the top 10 than they would have for the same week in 2006.

laserbeam

Banned
test_account said:

10 years of Sony Fans going HAHA w3 out sell j00. 7 months into this Gen and the Sony Fans are already tired of being the ones laughed at. Sweet sweet revenge. heres to 9 more years of it

Eteric Rice

sprocket said:
You guys do this weekly? What does that prove exactly?

At first, after seeing that Sony is dead in Japan, we get bored and post random images and shit to entertain ourselves.

It's like Neogaf masturbation or something.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
sprocket said:
You guys do this weekly? What does that prove exactly?

Exactly what the Sony fans were doing all through the PS2 generation (Oh, and the Ps1 one too), that Nintendo are er, dominating, I mean, what do you expect after years of ridicule, that suddenly all of the long abused Nintendo fans to suddenly become magnanimous in victory? exactly, until Sony can actually put up a fight in Japan, this will continue, and hey, it's not like after the last 5 months, that Sony fans are still surprised by these threads?

sprocket

Banned
Stop It said:
Exactly what the Sony fans were doing all through the PS2 generation (Oh, and the Ps1 one too), that Nintendo are er, dominating, I mean, what do you expect after years of ridicule, that suddenly all of the long abused Nintendo fans to suddenly become magnanimous in victory? exactly, until Sony can actually put up a fight in Japan, this will continue, and hey, it's not like after the last 5 months, that Sony fans are still surprised by these threads?

Hmm yeah I see what you mean. i just think its a little crazy to do it weekly and then every week go " OMG ITS INSANE FLAPAPPAPY DOO! " What exactly has come out for the PS3 in japan for the past 3 weeks?

Don't get me wrong I am all for revenge and ridicule lol. :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
sprocket said:
Hmm yeah I see what you mean. i just think its a little crazy to do it weekly and then every week go " OMG ITS INSANE FLAPAPPAPY DOO! " What exactly has come out for the PS3 in japan for the past 3 weeks?

Don't get me wrong I am all for revenge and ridicule lol. :lol

Well, we've got to fill these threads somehow, it's all Sonys fault really, if they put up a fight, there would be valid discussion points, but when the top 21 games in the MC figures are for Nintendo systems, and the DS/Wii outselling their competitors by at least 9:1, theres only so much proper discussion that can take place before the pictures and the mass gloating begins, still, fun though, the Sony defense spin thread, oh sorry the April NPD thread will be a great laugh too.

Edit: And Sonys' contribution to the Golden Week for PS3? Madden, 07, yes, a game that is 6 months late, and not exactly a system seller anyway, nice work.

sphinx

the piano man
Parl said:
I found this pic from UK-Resistance on there. :lol

I shouldn't find the Ukresistance site funny.. but I do. It blends truth and overstatement in such a fine way that it actually portrays the PS3 under a terrible light that seems believable.

It really is a bad time to be a sony fanboy.

The suffering from those who as kids grew up with NES/SNES is now in the PS1/PS2 fanboy side.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Rocksteady33 said:
Also did the GameCube ever outsell the PlayStation 2 in its first 6 months of release?
The first 6 months of GCN release for both? Or the first 6 months of PS2 release versus the first 6 months of GCN release?

If it's the former, then yes, at launch and a week 11 from Joshua's data

If it's the latter (PS2 2000-02-28 to 2000-08-28 versus GCN 2001-09-10 to 2002-03-10) then yes again the GCN outsold the PS2 during 4 weeks out of 24

(note: I could've ****ed up with the charts, I am not good with computers)

CorwinB

StevieP said:
So this is what happens to MC threads when Tabris isn't allowed in?

I think that particular person was last seen naked, covered in ketchup and semen, running across the streets with foam at the mouth because something was actually announced by Square for the PSP (and FF13 did not change platform so far). If we are lucky, he will be caught by the police while breaking into some random store to take pictures proving he owns a Wii and a DS and as such is definitely unbiased. :D

test_account

XP-39C²
laserbeam said:
10 years of Sony Fans going HAHA w3 out sell j00. 7 months into this Gen and the Sony Fans are already tired of being the ones laughed at. Sweet sweet revenge. heres to 9 more years of it

Thats pretty much the same i said.

test_account said:
Ye, i can understand the humor in the comments of course. Sony was pretty much dominating for 10 years, Nintendo was behind. The last 6 months its a complete turnaround (i know DS have done better than 6 months tho) so maybe many people see the oportunity to come with the comments because of this, dont know. But doing it for so long, i would think people would get tired of it quicker. Maybe its new people all the time hehe :)

I wasnt around gaming forums around PSX/PS2 (the early years for PS2) so luckily i didnt experience any of this "Sony Fans going HAHA w3 out sell j00" that you speak of :) Did this really happend? Maybe in the early years, but for 10 years? I cant really remember seeing any of this from 2004 - 2006 on the forums i was on.

AniHawk

test_account said:
Did this really happend? Maybe in the early years, but for 10 years? I cant really remember seeing any of this from 2004 - 2006 on the forums i was on.

Didn't really happen in the later part of last gen, but when the PS2 was selling on hype, and the Dreamcast was genuinely kicking ass with a bunch of awesome games, but selling like shit, it did happen. And it pissed off a lot of people.

test_account

XP-39C²
AniHawk said:
Didn't really happen in the later part of last gen, but when the PS2 was selling on hype, and the Dreamcast was genuinely kicking ass with a bunch of awesome games, but selling like shit, it did happen. And it pissed off a lot of people.

Ah ok. Ye, can understand that. Wonder how long it will last with PS3.

AniHawk

The odd thing about the Dreamcast was that its userbase still had the remaining Sega fanboy squad (who, by then, had been rendered completely insane), a big hardcore base of gaming nerds that just loved to play good games (who have made the 360 a success in NA), and a decent amount of Nintendo folk who didn't want to buy a PS2 until the "Dolphin" came out (and since Sega and Nintendo were more alike than Sony, and that Sony had crushed Nintendo, it seemed like an obvious jump). I think the people most burned by the Sony fanboy dipshits back then were the crazier Sega fanboys though. Some... still haven't recovered.

jimbo

Banned
:lol
bgassassin said:

:lol :lol :lol

Now that's FUNNY! no matter which side you're on, that right there has got to get you laughing. it's the eyes that get me. perfect look in the eyes. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
AniHawk said:
The odd thing about the Dreamcast was that its userbase still had the remaining Sega fanboy squad (who, by then, had been rendered completely insane), a big hardcore base of gaming nerds that just loved to play good games (who have made the 360 a success in NA), and a decent amount of Nintendo folk who didn't want to buy a PS2 until the "Dolphin" came out (and since Sega and Nintendo were more alike than Sony, and that Sony had crushed Nintendo, it seemed like an obvious jump). I think the people most burned by the Sony fanboy dipshits back then were the crazier Sega fanboys though. Some... still haven't recovered.

Hehe glad i wasnt around then, avoided the dissing :) Doesnt matter if its Nintendo, Sony, MS or Sega, it still gets pretty worn out to read "(insert company here) sux/am doomed!" after a while. Its only alittle funny in the beging in my opinion, but then it gets boring after reading it for months in a row hehe :\ It have cooled alittle down what i've noticed, but with a sales thread like this its pretty much bound to happend so not much to do about it ;)

Forgotten Ancient said:
Yeah, it's pretty odd. If not for FFXIII or GT5, I wouldn't be too surprised if the lines never crossed this entire generation.

If those titles don't cause at least a one-week intersection in hardware sales....well...I dunno. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Hard to say. Even with major major games, outside of holidays most systems only reach about 100K. PS2 did it a few times, PSP did it recently with Monster Hunter Portable 2. Given that Wii is more successful in general, though, as long as there's something that would cause a small bump it might still remain ahead. Past SSBM, nothing ever bumped GCN ahead of PS2, though it came close a few times. Resident Evil, Tales, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Mario, Zelda: No, no, no, no, no, no.

DS was still ahead the week of Monster Hunter Portable 2, for instance. Or for an earlier PSP example before DS exploded quite as much, in September 2005 there was a week where white PSP, FF VII Advent Children, and a Winning Eleven game released. I thought PSP would knock DS for sure, but it ended up 70K to DS's 72K.
miguel_c_hammer said:
You act like that somehow makes you better than them.
Weeell, I would say that hanging out in the sales thread because you're interested in the contents is probably a better reason than "finding solace from disappointing news".
DarkMehm said:
Has someone a link to the Famitsu Top 30 of the last week? That would be very nice.
2007-04-16 through 2007-04-22 is the most recent they've put up.
AniHawk said:
The odd thing about the Dreamcast was that its userbase still had the remaining Sega fanboy squad (who, by then, had been rendered completely insane), a big hardcore base of gaming nerds that just loved to play good games (who have made the 360 a success in NA), and a decent amount of Nintendo folk who didn't want to buy a PS2 until the "Dolphin" came out (and since Sega and Nintendo were more alike than Sony, and that Sony had crushed Nintendo, it seemed like an obvious jump).
Hah, I didn't realize enough others thought along the same lines for it to get mentioned as a trend. I thought it would be a pretty good cycle to get a fresh cheap console every 2-3 years, with their first-party strengths filling in each others' gaps. That didn't last long.

apujanata

Thraktor said:
Alright, I've realised that the chart I posted a few pages back is a bit off (I hadn't lined the years up quite right), so here's the corrected one.

MC_top10entry_yearly_fixed.png

For those wondering, it's a chart of the amount of sales necessary to get into the Media-Create top 10 on any one week (ie the sales of the 10th placed game). It's intended to show how much more difficult it is to get into the top 10 since the DS started dominating the chart. If I had a bit more data from when the PS2 was at its peak it might be more useful, but as it is it shows the following:

- For the weeks I have data, a game needed, on average, 45% more sales to get into the top 10 in 2006 than it would have in the same week in 2005.
- For the first 18 weeks of 2007, games have needed on average 17% more sales to crack the top 10 than they would have for the same week in 2006.

If you wanted to, you can use the data from this site :
http://www.sfoxstudio.com/
It has data from 2000 - 2007. The main difference is that site is following up Famitsu, not M-create. So you might have to create a different chart for Famitsu (it is not a good idea to mix Famitsu and M-create).

Haunted

laserbeam said:
10 years of Sony Fans going HAHA w3 out sell j00. 7 months into this Gen and the Sony Fans are already tired of being the ones laughed at. Sweet sweet revenge. heres to 9 more years of it.
It may be petty, but it's oh so funny to watch from the sidelines. :lol :lol

cheers!

Top Bottom