• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Link said:
Onimusha, released in January 2001 in Japan.

Wow, thats pretty soon after the lauch of the system. It makes me wonder, how many publishers are holding back games they already have complete or near complete in hopes of having a more robust userbase to tap into. I wonder how many games were released for PS2 by this time after its lauch and how it compares with the total released thus far for PS3.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Remember that the PS2 launch on March 4th, 2000 in Japan, so that's nearly 11 months before Onimusha released.

Link said:
Remember that the PS2 launch on March 4th, 2000 in Japan, so that's nearly 11 months before Onimusha released.

Ah. i figured it for late Q2 early Q3 of 2000, but march is much earlier than I remembered. Almost a year before the first one million breaker.

My Chemical Mouse said:
Let me be clear, never said or meant for it to sound like being a Nintendo fan is a bad thing or that makes you a bad person...

I don't care what systems you like or don't, what i find disturbing is your love for said company literally screaming through all your posts yet you are for some reason ashamed to accept yourself for what you truly are, raving fanboy.

It's ok, you are in the majority. No reason to attempt and cower behind the title unbiased bystander.

...You're getting offended over sales.

You forfeit your right to be the accuser of "raving fanboyism".

My Chemical Mouse said:
yikes, some of you have unbelievably convulated views of the world. My views on who wins what and where are scorched in apathy, my feelings towards corporations do not differ from one to the other.

Of course Nintendo won Japan, i say that and I'm not a Ntard. The difference is i don't express happiness or despair when i say this, some of you (ala this panther character) obviously do.

I havent played a home console in over 4 months, and the newest system i own is a DS. This "oh my gawd ur sour" act is overplayed and inaccurate. So becuase you are emotionally invested in this for some reason or another means the rest of us are also? Please.
Hm weren't you the guy popping in all the time raving on how third parties sell so much better on Sony plattforms? For someone whose views are scorched in apathy that was pretty emo I'd say.

But I guess this will be common behaviour along fans of all colours once this gen pans out.

cvxfreak

Link said:
Onimusha, released in January 2001 in Japan.

Capcom seems to get the jump on million sellers for PlayStation systems. :)

Biohazard, Onimusha, Monster Hunter Portable 2. I wonder if the same can happen for the PS3.

Terrell

My Chemical Mouse said:
yikes, some of you have unbelievably convulated views of the world. My views on who wins what and where are scorched in apathy, my feelings towards corporations do not differ from one to the other.

Of course Nintendo won Japan, i say that and I'm not a Ntard. The difference is i don't express happiness or despair when i say this, some of you (ala this panther character) obviously do.

I havent played a home console in over 4 months, and the newest system i own is a DS. This "oh my gawd ur sour" act is overplayed and inaccurate. So becuase you are emotionally invested in this for some reason or another means the rest of us are also? Please.
You realise that part of the reason we express joy in Wii's good sales is that some of us didn't want a strong-selling PS3 in Japan to give this industry the impression that they can wallet-rape us on the next string of consoles and start charging EVEN MORE the next go around? Not everything has to be about party lines, and the fact that people are treating this even more seriously than people treat politics is becoming absurd.

PS3 succeeding would have destroyed the accessibility of the common man to the video game hobby. End of story.

cvxfreak

Alkaliine said:
Are there any upcoming games of signficance for any systems?

51DHhk8K5wL._SS400_.jpg

I'm hoping it can be like Phoenix Wright on the DS. :D

cvxfreak said:
51DHhk8K5wL._SS400_.jpg

I'm hoping it can be like Phoenix Wright on the DS. :D

Do you think the revisions for RE 4 wii edition are enticing enough for people to repurchase the title? Or for those who bought a Wii to also buy this game.

Well here's the Wii games coming out in Japan this month:

Detective Conan: Tsuioku no Mirajiyu - 17 May 2007​

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 17 May 2007

Jissen PachiSlot Hisshou Hou! PachiSlot Hokuto no Ken - 27 May 2007

Resident Evil 4 - 31 May 2007

Any thoughts or predictions for the sales of those games?

cvxfreak

Scalemail Ted said:
Do you think the revisions for RE 4 wii edition are enticing enough for people to repurchase the title? Or for those who bought a Wii to also buy this game.

Depends. Capcom themselves say they're aiming for an even broader audience than the typical RE game with the Wii version. The Wii remote controls might be interesting enough to make the Wii edition become the best selling Wii third party game for awhile (until DQS). But who knows what'll happen. We'll just have to wait until May 31. :)

VerTiGo said:
I'd bet that RE4: Wii Edition will outsell its GameCube predecessor in Japan.

Two questions:

1. (For reference) What was the total that RE 4 GCN sold?

2. Is your prediction based:
a.) strictly off marketshare of Wii vs. GCN,
b.) Total Software attach rate of Wii vs GCN,
c.) upon a sample game such as Zelda Wii with predictions derived off its performance.

Im not quite sure which angle is best to base my predictions upon, but I think c.) contains some relevance. I must also keep in mind that its essentially an older game too. Regardless, I'm most interested in seeing how it does. I hope it does well as Im sure its a meter stick for Capcom to test the market.

Edit; Also Im sure RE 4 wii is to have at least some installed audience in place for RE UC

Personally I'm not expecting too much out of it - it just has too many things going against it. Firstly, the original version didn't sell that great in Japan. Secondly, it's a port of a 2 1/2 year old game. Thirdly, it's the type of game that doesn't seem to be selling too well on Wii, instead more accessible and simple titles like Wii Sports and Wii Play have been dominating the charts.

I still think it'll do quite well though.

Tmac

With a game like that and the wii controller, if they pull that right, it has everything to be a hit.

Is wii still sold out on japan?

Four days of Media Create threads happened during a busy time at work. I had to read these threads through the weekend and at this point, having had my multiple salesgasm, I will roll over and fall asleep.

Before I do though, I must say nonchalantly and totally non-specifically, that someone at a certain company (you know, the one that makes that series) must be watching these sales with pursed lips, a knot forming in his stomach. I imagine he must be thinking something along the lines of "We've made a huge mistake. Hopefully, in the amount of time we'll have to delay that game in order to rebuild it for Wii, its userbase will grow sufficiently for us to make up for the money we've already lost. Hopefully it's not too late to save that series... hopefully...." at which point, he imbibed a small bowl of very expensive sake.

Oh, and welcome back, My Chemical Mouse!

Evlar

Banned
Alkaliine said:
Well here's the Wii games coming out in Japan this month:

Detective Conan: Tsuioku no Mirajiyu - 17 May 2007?

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 17 May 2007

Jissen PachiSlot Hisshou Hou! PachiSlot Hokuto no Ken - 27 May 2007

Resident Evil 4 - 31 May 2007

Any thoughts or predictions for the sales of those games?
decent, crap, decent, very good

Talking about sales, not quality.

cvxfreak

BH4 GC - 220K.

BH4 GC really sold quite low in Japan, thanks in no doubt to the early announcement of the PS2 version. A game as good as BH4 does not sell a good 180K less than BH0 of all games.

Scalemail Ted said:
Is the Detective Conan game gonna be like a point and click adventure? or will it be basic Anime/manga generic action game?

Detective Conan: Tsuioku no Mirajiyu is an upcoming game for the Wii based upon the popular anime and manga Detective Conan. Players use the Wii Remote to find clues and solve the case. In one trailer, there is a little gameplay footage to see where Conan is skateboarding and a new mini game where it looks like you aim Conan’s soccer ball kicks with the Wii remote. It is supposed to be somewhat similar to Phoenix Wright gameplay, though this is only an assumption.

cvxfreak said:
BH4 GC - 220K.

BH4 GC really sold quite low in Japan, thanks in no doubt to the early announcement of the PS2 version. A game as good as BH4 does not sell a good 180K less than BH0 of all games.

That low! That makes me sad, especially considering the quality of the game. 220k, Im gonna remember that, I'm really interested in seeing how the Wii-make stacks up to the original. The lower pricepoint should help as it is effectively a budget title. I wonder how much of an advertising push it will see?

cvxfreak said:
BH4 GC - 220K.

So, there's actually a very good shot that BH4 Wii will outsell the GC version.

cvxfreak

Scalemail Ted said:
That low! That makes me sad, especially considering the quality of the game. 220k, Im gonna remember that, I'm really interested in seeing how the Wii-make stacks up to the original. The lower pricepoint should help as it is effectively a budget title. I wonder how much of an advertising push it will see?

I'm glad the PS2 version sold 500K though. If the Wii version sells 280K then the three will collectively be above 1 Million. I find it a longshot though.

Kafel said:
Question for the sales expert :

If any, what Wii title will first outsell Wii Sports LTD ? ( in Japan )

I'm no expert but I don't forsee Wii Sports to stop selling any time soon. That'll make it difficult to beat it.

I *really* hate to feed the trolls, but...
My Chemical Mouse said:
Let me be clear, never said or meant for it to sound like being a Nintendo fan is a bad thing or that makes you a bad person...

Probably should've thought of that before calling him an "Ntard." And Panther sounded legitimately pissed that Sony wasn't doing better to me...

Kafel

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
I'm no expert but I don't forsee Wii Sports to stop selling any time soon. That'll make it difficult to beat it.

That's what I expect. I see this title like ageless, it will probably sell at decent figures every week of the Wii life.

Kafel said:

Honestly, in the near future I don't expect anything to overtake it. I think Wii Health Pack will actually be a bigger success over in USA and Europe, and I think games like Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Brawl will sell great, but by the time they come out Wii Sports will be around 2 million, and Sports (like NSMB, ACWW, etc) is unlikely to stop selling for a while yet.

I could be wrong though.

I wonder how well Animal Crossing will sell on Wii when it comes out in 2008. The original didn't sell that great, but Wild World has done phenomenally well. The question is whether it is only a very popular handheld game, or whether it can still sell great as a console game.

cvxfreak said:
I'm glad the PS2 version sold 500K though. If the Wii version sells 280K then the three will collectively be above 1 Million. I find it a longshot though.

Do you think the intial shipment then might be topping out at ~50k?

ziran

My Chemical Mouse said:

I don't care what systems you like or don't, what i find disturbing is your love for said company literally screaming through all your posts yet you are for some reason ashamed to accept yourself for what you truly are, raving fanboy.

It's ok, you are in the majority. No reason to attempt and cower behind the title unbiased bystander.
My Chemical Mouse said:

You, and all those saying 'what's going on in this thread', should check out the Sales Archive. It's only the tail end of Sony dominance, but it's exactly the same in sentiment as this thread, but with Sony on top instead of Nintendo.

You also have to take into consideration all the other posts and threads about how Sony was putting the final nail in Nintendo's coffin, with the release of PSP, going around at the time. And those wondering what it was like at the beginning of Sony's reign, like many have already pointed out, it was no different to the way it is now, except we have the added bandwidth for photoshops.

Note, I'm not condoning any of what's going on, and really enjoy the sales analysis parts in MC threads, and all the charts, trends and graphs from people, but what's happening is expected, and funny.

I think a lot of posts are based in genuine surprise, because I don't think even the most die hard Nintendo fans expected Sony to fall this far behind so early. I mean, even looking from an analytical point of view, having Madden for Golden Week is nothing but a joke.

EDIT-
cvxfreak said:
BH4 GC - 220K.

I'm hoping RE4 Wii sells at least 200K in Japan. I think it's possible to sell more, but equally it could sell under 100K. It's a tricky one to predict.

Vinnk

Tmac said:
Is wii still sold out on japan?

Yes. At least around me. I havn't seen it this scarce since launch. It is actually HARDER to find it this month than last month despite the increased shipments.

cvxfreak

Scalemail Ted said:
Do you think the intial shipment then might be topping out at ~50k?

Not sure, but the game's supposedly getting a lot of pre-orders in Japan. On Amazon Japan pre-orders made it to #11 of the Top 100 at one point FWIW.

AniHawk

I doubt RE4's ability to be a big hit in Japan. However, it could do decently in NA, based on the low price.

There was this guy at the store that was dead set against reserving it, but when I told him it was 30 bucks, he looked like he had just struck gold.

Kafel said:

Probably nothing. Wii Sports can potentially sell really well through the Wii's lifetime. I'd go ahead and wager it might enter the 4 million club later.

My Chemical Mouse said:

Oh please.

I could almost feel all the seethe and disappointment glow from my monitor with that post.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
I doubt RE4's ability to be a big hit in Japan. However, it could do decently in NA, based on the low price.

I HATE YOU

AniHawk said:
There was this guy at the store that was dead set against reserving it, but when I told him it was 30 bucks, he looked like he had just struck gold.

<3

Xeke

Banned
My Chemical Mouse said:

04.jpg

Deku

Banned
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but the Wii does appear to be selling to demographics that may have skipped out on the gaming in the last few generations. If RE4 is accessible, many many never had tried the game before and it could sell modestly.

cvxfreak said:
Not sure, but the game's supposedly getting a lot of pre-orders in Japan. On Amazon Japan pre-orders made it to #11 of the Top 100 at one point FWIW.
This is anecdotal evidence but (around same time as RE4 Wii preorders were opened) Tales of Fandom games went to top3 and they are coming a month later. Fandom PSX didn't crack 100k.

Also from this retailers preorders:
http://www.comgnet.com/category/4 (the one below)
http://www.lepton.ne.jp/game/resrank.html

It isn't on them :/

Now my opinion...its a budget re-release and I don't think Capcom is going to make a big buzz about it, its the 3rd RE4 version too, probably will have some legs thanks to its good price and because its a good hardcore game and seriously, there are not that many in Wii (isn't it like the first big game with guns for Wii?). I don't really expect much from it but its similar to Tenkaichi 2 (numbers it did in PS2 and such) so 100k should be an attainable target.

Brofist

Deku said:
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but the Wii does appear to be selling to demographics that may have skipped out on the gaming in the last few generations. If RE4 is accessible, many many never had tried the game before and it could sell modestly.

wouldn't the reason this theoretical group of people skipped out on the few generations probably be that games like RE4 didn't interest them in first place.

Deku

Banned
kpop100 said:
wouldn't the reason this theoretical group of people skipped out on the few generations probably be that games like RE4 didn't interest them in first place.

The actual content of the game is quite universally palatable, if the revival of the horror genre in NA is any indication of mass audience tastes.

It all depends on how the controls are implemented as those who chose not to participate in gaming may have been turned off by the game pad generally and didn't care too much about the specifics of whether one game has 'good controls' or bad controls.

I'm just thinking out loud really.

Brofist

Deku said:
The actual content of the game is quite universally palatable, if the revival of the horror genre in NA is any indication of mass audience tastes.

It all depends on how the controls are implemented as those who chose not to participate in gaming may have been turned off by the game pad generally and didn't care too much about the specifics of whether one game has 'good controls' or bad controls.

I'm just thinking out loud really.

I see your point, I just think it's beyond wishful thinking.

cvxfreak said:
I think the promo video Capcom's running proves where they want to take it. Now if people will bite, that's the question. :)

Yeah this is what I wonder too. I actually enjoyed the trailers, but can a very violent and hardcore game be effective advertised for women and non-gamers? I doubt it, but hey, I guess it's up to the sales to see if it was the right path or not.

By the way cvx, I think your avatar should be changed to "parasite eve 3 on cell phones". :lol

Top Bottom