• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS System Update Live (Streetpass DLC games, digital game save backups)

sugarless

They've added the option to choose one of six expressions to go along with custom greetings. Add to OP perhaps?

DvLpmN0.jpg

This update is crazy. Why wasn't this mentioned at E3? Nintendo continues to baffle me.

Also, backing up VC saves? Future vc save transfer with Wii U coming? For real, I'm pretty darn shocked about Nintendo doing cloud stuff.
It's, so far, not cloud stuff. The saves get copied to a separate folder on the SD card, so they survive, when you delete a game and you can easily copy them to the PC.

New hats thus far... Some numbers indicated may overflow into adjacent categories.

Mario (22)
Mario Set
Luigi Set
Super Mushroom Hat
1-UP Mushroom Hat
Fire Flower Hat
Starman Hat
Sprite Mario Hat

Pikmin (1)
Olimar Hat

Zelda (6)
Link Set
Princess Zelda Hat
Sheik Hat
Rupee Hat
Treasure Box Hat

Animal Crossing (2)
Tom Nook Hat
Isabelle Hat

Kirby (5)
Meta Knight Hat

Donkey Kong (3)
Donkey Kong Set
Diddy Kong Hat
Barrel Hat

Star Fox (2)

F-Zero (2)
Captain Falcon Hat

Animals (3)
Monkey Hat

Nintendo (10)

Food (13)

Sports (2)
Ice Hockey Hat

Fashion (7)
Wedding Hat
Cowboy Hat
Helmet Hat
Skull Hat
Pumpkin Hat
Christmas Hat

Animals (7)
Chicken Hat
Lion Hat
T-Rex Hat

Vehicles (3)
UFO Hat

Plants (3)
Palm Tree Hat

StreetPass Squad (2)
Mii Force Hat
Spy Plane Hat

StreetPass Garden (2)
Flower Field Hat

StreetPass Battle (2)
Battle Hat

StreetPass Mansion (2)
Ghost Hat

sugarless

Is it only Europe and Japan that received the streetpass update? Mine looks the same, no new hats or anything besides the backup utility.

Yup, so far NA users are reporting they only got the non-Plaza features. Mind you, many EU users including myself have the Plaza app crash when trying to buy the new games, so maybe you're not missing out on anything other than hassles for a few days...

Yup, so far NA users are reporting they only got the non-Plaza features. Mind you, many EU users including myself have the Plaza app crash when trying to buy the new games, so maybe you're not missing out on anything other than hassles for a few days...
Lame. Universal updates should be a thing for Nintendo.

I want commemorative hats. Also wtf at not being able to backup the two most important save files.

Backup feature is shit!

Can't back Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter 3!!!!1111

:mad:

Can I backup my digital save of animal crossing? If not, fuck Nintendo I wanna get a bigger SD card.
Nope, I'm guessing these are to prevent "cheating" the games, don't expect the back up system to work for Pokemon as well unless they implemented a better system by it's release....doubt it though...
I posted everything I know.

Ah, thanks for posting the info =D

Jackano

So it's cheap ass but it will be cool if Nintendo Europe offers one game out of the 4 because of the update crashes. But it's probably too optismistic.

Espiox

You CAN back up ACNL and MH3U. When you delete downloaded 3DS games, you now have the option to back up the save data first. When you redownload later, it automatically restores upon "unwrapping" the download. This way works even for games that don't allow manual backup (but still not GBA).

Javier

Nope, I'm guessing these are to prevent "cheating" the games, don't expect the back up system to work for Pokemon as well unless they implemented a better system by it's release....doubt it though...
I'm willing to bet they won't allow it for Pokemon. People will go overboard duplicating legendaries.

M3d10n

You CAN back up ACNL and MH3U. When you delete downloaded 3DS games, you now have the option to back up the save data first. When you redownload later, it automatically restores upon "unwrapping" the download. This way works even for games that don't allow manual backup (but still not GBA).

So they only prevent you from creating multiple backups then? Anyway, it should be dead easy to locate the .SAV file on the SD card after you back it up and make another backup on a PC and bypass the lock.

The one thing I'm not clear about yet though, is... How do you actually use the backups? Did anybody find the restore function?

There are two ways to restore a backup:

1) When re-downloading a game, it automatically restores a backup if it exists (I haven't tested what happens if you have multiple backups for the same game).

2) Use the new "Save data backup" section in the system settings data management, select a backup and pick "restore".

Can I backup my digital save of animal crossing? If not, fuck Nintendo I wanna get a bigger SD card.

Yes, you can still backup if you try to delete the game in the system settings.

NeoRausch

cross posting from the other the other thread:

Shop still crashes. meh!

but I found another new feature: I passed 8 persons and the plaza was like:

"Hey, you know: Three of your your passes played Animal Crossing New Leaf, wanna take a look at it in the eshop?" with a direct link to the eshop page.
pretty clever!

now fix that damm shop!

M3d10n

Has anyone tested if backed saves can be transferred to a different 3DS?

I seriously doubt it. They are probably just straight copies of the encrypted .sav files that exist next to the games in the SD card. Storing unencrypted saves would be a massive security hole, since they could be used to find buffer underrun/overflow exploits in games.

Teppic

Just updated. Crashes in the shop for me too. Noticed there's a new music space in the music player. StreetPass Theme 8 I guess.

JimboJones

Seems to be some anti aliasing in mii plaza when playing in 2D mode, could be mistaken but I don't remember that being present before the update.

Teppic

I think Puzzle Swap is worse than before. It has a loading icon in the middle of the screen when you switch puzzle. Also the way you get puzzle pieces looks wierd. It takes longer before the music starts.

Chopper

New hats thus far... Some numbers indicated may overflow into adjacent categories.

Mario (23)
Super Mushroom Hat
1-UP Mushroom Hat
Fire Flower Hat
Starman Hat
Sprite Mario Hat

Zelda (6)

Metroid (2)

Kirby (5)

Donkey Kong (3)

Star Fox (7)

Nintendo (10)

Food (13)

Sports (2)

Fashion (7)

Animals (13)

StreetPass Squad (2)
Mii Force Hat

StreetPass Garden (2)
Flower Field Hat

StreetPass Battle (2)
Battle Hat

StreetPass Mansion (2)
Ghost Hat
How are you unlocking these? I thought the shop crashed? Which games unlock hats/outfits?

How do I get that pixel Mario hat?

How are you unlocking these? I thought the shop crashed? Which games unlock hats/outfits?

How do I get that pixel Mario hat?
Cheesemeister is in Japan and for the Mario hat exit the Plaza after it's update and return to it and it should pop up upon the explainaton to what the games are played for.

Sometimes the rabbit actually gets to explain a game to me before freezing when it looks up the price. Usually is crashes right away.

There are two ways to restore a backup:

1) When re-downloading a game, it automatically restores a backup if it exists (I haven't tested what happens if you have multiple backups for the same game).

2) Use the new "Save data backup" section in the system settings data management, select a backup and pick "restore".

[...]
Yes, you can still backup if you try to delete the game in the system settings.

Nice. That sounds pretty well thought out.

I seriously doubt it. They are probably just straight copies of the encrypted .sav files that exist next to the games in the SD card. Storing unencrypted saves would be a massive security hole, since they could be used to find buffer underrun/overflow exploits in games.
They are exact copies of encrypted .sav files. I checked a few.

Reggie is probably still figuring out what they should randomly rename all the new games to for no reason, thats why its not out in America yet.

Please understand.

I've tried multiple times on my main New Zealand one and can't get past the crash at purchase stage. But it loads fine on my old 3DS set to Norway lol. :/

I bet its something dumb like they don't know how to display the NZ$ symbol or price or something.

They don't have a map for my country still so I wouldn't be surprised.

mclem

I think Puzzle Swap is worse than before. It has a loading icon in the middle of the screen when you switch puzzle. Also the way you get puzzle pieces looks wierd. It takes longer before the music starts.

I noticed it's *much* faster. Particularly when holding down R, it swishes through the puzzles at a fair old rate.

Glass Rebel

I don't regret buying the bundle with all 4 games but...

Nintendo really needs to improve SpotPass or increase the limit on Play Coins.

Robin64

My XL crashes, but my OG does not. Difference is, my XL has like 400 Miis in the Plaza while the OG only has 11.

Also, dat 60fps goodness.

Laffer

I updated, they gave me the pixel mario hat, It crashed, now I don't have the hat anymore and I don't think I will ever do, as it's a special one.

(It freezes every single time I scroll down the Miis or enter the store)

Javier

Sounds to me NoE rushed the update without checking for bugs, while NoA is looking for a way to release the update without whatever causes the crashes.

If that's the case, I don't mind the wait.

Andy_Rhetoric

Neo Member
Sounds to me NoE rushed the update without checking for bugs, while NoA is looking for a way to release the update without whatever causes the crashes.

If that's the case, I don't mind the wait.

But, but, I want all the new delicious street pass incentives!!

Top Bottom