• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS System Update Live (Streetpass DLC games, digital game save backups)

Sounds to me NoE rushed the update without checking for bugs, while NoA is looking for a way to release the update without whatever causes the crashes.

If that's the case, I don't mind the wait.

I'd like to believe that, but I think we're giving NoA too much credit. They haven't been very on-the-ball for awhile...

Using coins to get new pieces in Puzzle Swap is diabolical.

Whoever wrote the algorithm that figures out what pieces you get is absolutely a modern day villain.

I don't think I'll be buying these new games, seeing how infuriating the original games are to me.

Using coins to get new pieces in Puzzle Swap is diabolical.

Whoever wrote the algorithm that figures out what pieces you get is absolutely a modern day villain.

I don't think I'll be buying these new games, seeing how infuriating the original games are to me.

You are so right about this. If there are 30 spaces on the puzzle and I have 5 pieces-I'd I spend play coins on new pieces the majority of the time I will get duplicate pieces from those 5 pieces!!! WTF

You are so right about this. If there are 30 spaces on the puzzle and I have 5 pieces-I'd I spend play coins on new pieces the majority of the time I will get duplicate pieces from those 5 pieces!!! WTF

Getting duplicate pieces is indeed a pain.
Especially considering you can only earn 10 coins a day. Still. Red puzzel pieces are worse for me. Hardly any way to get them here.

Also. Just experienced my first two Streetpass Mii park freezes.
One when I was scrolling though the Mii's I streetpassed and once when I asked the bunny for more info about the new games. Such a pain.

Still. I like the new updated look of Mii park and it seems faster too.

Cuu

I wonder if they'll wait until they revamp the streetpass in the US with that McD's tagging system to launch this in the United States.

Just updated (first the system, and then the plaza) and no freezing here. Everything in the plaza feels slightly snappier, and the new view where you pick games is neat. The bunny didn't mention any kind of 4-pack though (my region is set to Sweden), and I have not gotten a Mario hat :/

NeoRausch

Just updated (first the system, and then the plaza) and no freezing here. Everything in the plaza feels slightly snappier, and the new view where you pick games is neat. The bunny didn't mention any kind of 4-pack though (my region is set to Sweden), and I have not gotten a Mario hat :/

you get the Mario hat on the second log in. ;)

I'm wondering the pack price too. the one time I was able to log in I couldn't find a pack.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Just purchased the combo pack for all four as I had a left over £15 voucher from my birthday. The combo pack is 1100 blocks and £13.49 it can only be bought when you buy your first additional game so the discount dissapears if you buy just one of the games.

Downloading now so will post some impressions soon. I only recently got a 3DS XL so only have about 20 Miis in my plaza. Curious to see if I can use all of those straight away or if it will only let me use new Miis from future streetpass hits.

Edit: Posting my thoughts in the 3DS Streetpass Experiences thread as its more active

Hex

Banned
Luckily we have 4 3DS in our household so streetpasses happen, though ideally getting them along the way helps but as long as one person gets one here or there if it is me at work or out somewhere or my gf while she is out or either of her sons the tags get passed around.
Disneyworld was a pretty bit of a gold mine, when we went in at the end of April and it is too bad they didn't have all of this then.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Seems to crash when the shopping cart slides into view. Maybe it's when it checks if it should add a red exclamation mark? I dunno; hope they fix it soon.

Hasney

I didn't know I needed 60fps in something as simple as StreetPass quest, but goddamn did I need 60fps once I saw it.

sakipon

Not sure if old news, but when you finish StreetPass Quest, it asks whether to show the intro again.

"Do you want to watch how the story begins?"
- Of course!
- No thanks.

Though I wish I was playing the new games on my Euro machine instead of the Quest... It's been well past 24 hours.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i wish you could hire people using coins that would persist across all games. Now you have more games, if you don't have lots of streetpass hits (I don't) then you have to hire heroes multiple times (once for each game) which isn't good when you're limited to the number of coins you can earn per day.

edit: how do you buy the bundle? Does it kick in automatically when you buy the second DLC from within the plaza, or do you have to wait for it to come up on the eshop?

For some reason I was convinced I'd be immune to the crashes. I went through the whole spiel of the bunny explaining the games, telling me about the combo pack, and then I declared that I wanted to buy it.

His eyes went wide, he said "Oh!"
...and then, crash. Even bunny was frightened. :(

Oxx

Do the existing streetpass games still work fine after the update?

I needs me some puzzle pieces and questing.

I know this isn't exactly the place for it, but I've been having some trouble with my 3ds and thought this might be a good thread to ask.

I've downloaded Picross e on my 3DS (I'm using an 8gb SD card I had lying around rather than the one that came with the system) and I am consistently getting the black screen "an error has occurred, please restart the system," normally after only a few minutes of play. When I go to the eShop and choose to 'repair software' for picross it recognises an error and says there's an 8 block download that needs repairing. One that process finishes I can play picross again (normally for around 40 minutes-1hr), but after a while I start getting the black screen again.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to fix it? I've played virtual console games after receiving the error message with no problems, so it seems isolated to picross.

8bit

Knows the Score
I know this isn't exactly the place for it, but I've been having some trouble with my 3ds and thought this might be a good thread to ask.

I've downloaded Picross e on my 3DS (I'm using an 8gb SD card I had lying around rather than the one that came with the system) and I am consistently getting the black screen "an error has occurred, please restart the system," normally after only a few minutes of play. When I go to the eShop and choose to 'repair software' for picross it recognises an error and says there's an 8 block download that needs repairing. One that process finishes I can play picross again (normally for around 40 minutes-1hr), but after a while I start getting the black screen again.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to fix it? I've played virtual console games after receiving the error message with no problems, so it seems isolated to picross.

I'd try a different SD card if you can.

So I was able to find out the NZ$ price by using my old (empty pretty much) 3DS. I had it set to Norway to randomly give people who Streetpass with it round here a new country.

Anyway, I set it to NZ and it doesn't crash when I go to buy the new stuff. So now the only differences are one is a 3DS (works) the other is a XL (doesn't work) and the 3DS has 3 people in the plaza as apposed to my main XL which has hundreds.

If anyone cares the combo price is $25.50 NZ$. Now if only I could actually buy it on my main one! >_< Come on Nintendo hurry up with the patch.

NeoRausch

that's a thing? didn't know that. awesome.

try to completely delete it and redownload it.
but my guess would be a corrupted SD card.
still got the original SD card? try to download the game on that to try of it is the cards fault.

on topic: still doesn't really work. BUMMER!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Was there supposed to be a problem with this update for some people, crashing their systems and rendering them unable to boot? Or was I just imagining it?

A bunch of demos came out on the JP eshop today but I'd like to be cautious when updating my LL since warranty isn't available outside of the country.

Berordn

Was there supposed to be a problem with this update for some people, crashing their systems and rendering them unable to boot? Or was I just imagining it?

A bunch of demos came out on the JP eshop today but I'd like to be cautious when updating my LL since warranty isn't available outside of the country.

I think you're mistaking the bricking with the PS3 update that got pulled, though the update is causing a lot of crashing with the shop function in Mii Plaza.

sakipon

I think you're mistaking the bricking with the PS3 update that got pulled, though the update is causing a lot of crashing with the shop function in Mii Plaza.

Yup, sounds like the PS3 update. And that Mii Plaza DLC shop crashing is mostly for European systems anyway.

OMG Aero

There is an update available in the Streetpass Plaza now.
Downloading it has stopped the rabbit crash issue I was having and I was just able to buy the game bundle.

Jackano

Downloading it has stopped the rabbit crash issue I was having and I was just able to buy the game bundle.

Great. I want to buy the scifi game but have anyone tested the 4 games? Which one seems to be the best?

Teppic

Great! No crashes for me now. Scrolled through 1000 Mii's. Shop works.

Edit: How do I buy the combo pack?

Found it.

I absolutely love the new games. Well worth the money (bought the combo pack)

Streetpass Squad is my highlight, but I could see Mansion become one of the more intriguing ones too.

Shahadan

those games hit right at home with me. I love shmups, conquest type games, and puzzle rpgs.
not sure about the gardening game, seems quite boring. I would have like to be able to do SOMETHING.

Zornica

Banned
Are there any reviews yet? can't decide if I want the pack yet.
I'm going to Japan soon, so I'll probably collect tons of street passes.

sakipon

those games hit right at home with me. I love shmups, conquest type games, and puzzle rpgs.
not sure about the gardening game, seems quite boring. I would have like to be able to do SOMETHING.

I'm enjoying watching the flowers grow, I suppose it'll appeal to those who like to collect puzzle pieces. It's not like you do anything in that game either.

The gardening game should have it's price point set lower, though.

Chopper

Just had a play on all four of the new games. Pretty interesting.

The Squad game is like an actual, proper game. I died once, but was given another life? I didn't really understand why. I was also disappointed to see that you can't just carry on once you've finished a level. You apparently need another streetpass to continue.

The Battle game is very awesome, although, you will really benefit from tagging people with loads of people in their plaza. My launch console with its five special miis don't really cut it, but I enjoyed what I played. Though I think I might have screwed myself for a while by upgrading my castle!

The Mansion game is a unique take on Streetpass Quest essentially, albeit with real time battles and an unusual tetris shape, floor-building twist. I fucked up really and took the wrong piece from the first mii I streetpassed, so literally gained nothing in the process. I'll have to think harder about it next time.

The gardening game is...weird. I successfully grew a plant, and...that's it? I dunno. I get consistent tags off my launch unit, so will keep playing to see what this is offering, cos I really can't tell right now.

Overall I'm pleased I bought the combo pack. It certainly adds longevity and interest to the Plaza, even though it appears as though you only get 4 hats per day.

But yeah. Sort out those streetpass station Nintendo! Thanks.

Cherubae

Are there any reviews yet? can't decide if I want the pack yet.
I'm going to Japan soon, so I'll probably collect tons of street passes.

The Gardening game is a little strange and laid back, but it's basically a flower-collecting game. The Mansion one is kind of a mix of Tetris (the visting Miis give you a puzzle piece to fit onto the floor) and a RPG (fighting ghosts). Squad is good if you like space shooting games, and the Battle one is rock/paper/scissors but using the visiting Miis' Street Plaza population counts for your army troops.

Might as well get them all in the 4 pack, since the discount is basically buy-3-get-1-free.

Top Bottom