• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELSPA: UK market is smoking

edbrat

You guys will love the spreadsheet offered here:

http://www.elspa.com/assets/files/t/tablefigureswks1262006and2007_374.xls

Source:

http://www.bhpress.co.uk/release.asp?i=902

INTERACTIVE UK GAMES SALES SMASHING RECORDS

Video and computer games are more popular than ever howver Industry urges caution as economic threat from overseas remains

Friday 6th July/...Video and computer games are more popular than ever according to the latest industry figures from ELSPA (Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association) and Charttack, the company that tracks games sales in the UK.

While sales for the first six months of 2007 are up on all games formats to a staggering £519 million, an increase of over 17 per cent 2006’s half-year figures, the industry has sounded a note of caution. The UK has slipped back in the world rankings of games producers in the face of increased pressure from Canada, which provides massive incentives and tax breaks to games companies to produce their games within its borders. New Asian economies such as China are also becoming increasingly attractive to the world’s game superpowers.

The first half of 2007 has been an unprecedented one for the games software market, with a growth standing at a whopping 19 per cent above units sold in the same period in the previous year, making the total games units sold over 26.01 million.

Paul Jackson, Director General of ELSPA, said: "We are thrilled to see the industry thriving and not only growing but soaring. With so many excellent titles now available for all ages, appealing to a wide audience the industry is stronger than ever. The speed of the growth of the games industry is testament to the creativity, technology and diversity which is employed by the modern games business.

“The UK plays a huge part in the development of games that sell in the millions around the world. We are a huge part of UK PLC’s Creative Economy, but it is important to note that the future of this buoyant economy is uncertain as tax incentives and cost contributions of up to 38 per cent in other territories around the world are prompting a brain drain and an impact on IP ownership and Balance of Payments contribution.

“The UK has spent years building up a significant skills and technology base, but the short and long term outlook as it stands is not good. We once again encourage Government to look at the issues raised by the respected economist Will Hutton in his recent report into UK Creative Industries.”

On the popularity of games, he added: “With the new generation consoles and new handhelds there are some amazing titles out there and consumers are continuing to enjoy them. There are new and exciting games available and more and more family orientated and mentally stimulating titles to grasp and hold the interest of all ages.”

With popularity of the handhelds on the market, the Nintendo DS Lite has dominated in the first half of 2007 making up a remarkable 72% of handhelds sold, notching up record-breaking unit sell through.

The next generation consoles have also offered some staggering sale results, with Nintendo again toping the unit sales poll with the Wii.

Hardware sales for early 2007 together have seen an staggering increase of 51% on units sold on last year’s half-year figures, notching up revenues of £405 million, an 87% increase on the previous year.

The total increase on software, hardware and accessories enjoyed a 42% increase on revenue topping out at an astounding £1,022 million.

Video and computer games are enjoyed by people of all ages from three upwards. Each game has an age rating, with over 70 per cent of games being suitable for all ages. Information about games age ratings can be found at www.askaboutgames.com

For full statistics for this period please visit http://www.elspa.com/assets/files/t/tablefigureswks1262006and2007_374.xls

SALES FIGURES!

Code:
UK MARKET ( Weeks 1 - 26 2006 vs. Weeks 1 - 26 2007 )				

Total UK Market Units (m)	

Total Excl. Non Games	2006	2007	Change %

Total Games Software	21.87	26.01	+19

Gameboy Advance		1.00	0.52	-48
Microsoft XBox		1.73	0.43	-75
Microsoft XBox 360	1.36	3.14	+131
Nintendo DS		1.37	4.04	+196
Nintendo Gamecube	0.20	0.04	-80
Nintendo Wii			1.57	
Playstation 2		8.44	6.49	-23
Playstation 3			0.93	
Sony PSP		2.12	2.27	+7
PC Games Software	5.51	6.55	+19

Total Console Hardware	1.47	2.22	+51
Nintendo		34%	53%	
Sony			44%	34%	
Microsoft		22%	12%	

Total Console Hand-Held	0.86	0.93	+8
Nintendo		58%	72%	
Sony			42%	28%	

Total Console Static	0.61	1.29	+113
Nintendo		1%	40%	
Sony			46%	39%	
Microsoft		52%	21%

Software
1st half of 2007 shows unprecendented software unit growth thanks to DS & Xbox360, plus new formats Wii & PS3.

Hardware
1st half of 2007 overall installed base growth thanks to DS Lite, Wii, PS3 - Xbox360 stable over 1st half 2006.

1st half 2007 shows DS Lite flying off the shelves, notching up record-breaking unit sell-through.

1st half 2007 reveals an impressive Wii performance, even with well-documented stock problems.

Accessories
Hand-Held key growth areas are Combination Packs (e.g. pad+remote+cable+case), Battery Packs, Cases & Skins.
Static Consoles key growth areas such as Joypads, HDMI cables plus voice activated headsets.

Notes
All data represents Chart-Track estimates of the Total UK retail and etail videogames market - these figures exclude non-games software, PC hardware and PC accessories.
Console Accessories includes Own Brand products as of Jan06.
DS Lite launched week 25, 2006 (therefore only 2 weeks in that period are shown here).
Both Wii (launched week 49, 2006) and PS3 (launched week 12, 2007) are 'new' for the purposes of half-yearly comparisons.
S:\ELSPA\Total Market Press Release 2006 vs 2007 1-26 - ROUNDED.xls

The first half of 2007 has been an unprecedented one for the games software market, with a growth standing at a whopping 19 per cent above units sold in the same period in the previous year, making the total games units sold over 26.01 million.

Wii expanding the industry Confrimed (sic).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
starship said:
First half of 2007 sales:

Wii ~ 516k
360 ~ 270k
PS2 + PS3 ~ 503k

Where did you come up with those numbers? That spreadsheet is confusing the hell out of me

Here you go guys:

uksalesfigures.png

starship said:

Wii ~ 516k
360 ~ 270k
PS2 + PS3 ~ 503k

These numbers will include the last console cycle's numbers as well (so PS2, PS3 and Xbox) as it's only per manufacturer. As Nintendo only claimed 1% last year, we can assume GC is dead so that 40% is pretty much all Wii. I would assume the same for Xbox as well. PS2 claimed 44% of all hardware in the first half of 2006 and I assume makes up a fair chunk of Sony's 2007 numbers. No idea what that chunk is of course.

schuelma said:
Where did you come up with those numbers? That spreadsheet is confusing the hell out of me

I was in the same boat but I think I have it now.

The bits that this data come from are ....

Code:
Total Console Hardware	1.47	2.22
Nintendo	34%	53%
Sony	44%	34%
Microsoft	22%	12%

Total Console Hand-Held	0.86	0.93
Nintendo	58%	72%
Sony	42%	28%

Total Console Static	0.61	1.29
Nintendo	1%	40%
Sony	46%	39%
Microsoft	52%	21%

This shows that total console hardware (including handhelds) stands at 2.22 million in 2007. This is further broken down into handhelds and static (home consoles). The home consoles figure is 1.29 million and starship has just extracted the individual console numbers from that using the marketshare figures.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
schuelma said:
Total console sales - 1.29m
Since Xbox and GC is pretty much dead right now, it's fair to assume the relevant consoles are PS2, PS3, Wii and 360. Use the percentage for each manufacturer to get the numbers.

schuelma

Wow, so Wii sold about 85-90K a month in the U.K alone in 07? I may have to do some upward adjusting of my estimated Wii European sales....

How much of the market is the U.K usually... About 25%?

starship

schuelma said:
Wow, so Wii sold about 85-90K a month in the U.K alone in 07? I may have to do some upward adjusting of my estimated Wii European sales....

How much of the market is the U.K usually... About 25%?
It's something between 25 and 30 percent.
According to these figures it's safe to say Wii almost outsold 360 in Europe.

felipeko

starship said:
How?

Looks like X360 sold ~325k in the first half of 2006, and probably sold more than that in the second..

Let me try some math:
325+270 and what for the second half? 500k?
That would leave x360 in the range of ~1.1m...

I dont think Wii is that close yet.

schuelma

starship said:

Yeah...I think the number was 800K after December??, so extrapolating the 86K a month average from the U.K....about 300K a month in Europe being very conservative... so about 2.6M in Europe? Wow

starship

felipeko said:
How?

Looks like X360 sold ~325k in the first half of 2006, and probably sold more than that in the second..

Let me try some math:
325+270 and what for the second half? 500k?
That would leave x360 in the range of ~1.1m...

I dont think Wii is that close yet.
How did you get 325k for the first half of 2006? Microsoft had 52% of 610k which means 317k sales for both Xbox and X360. Also in the report clearly said: "Xbox360 stable over 1st half 2006."

And of course the most important thing, I was talking about Europe.
UK =! Europe.

bee

Starchasing said:
Most of those are probably The Sims, The Sims expansion and Sims packs

that maybe so but your just guessing my point though is a lot of people especially on this board say that pc gaming is dead and software doesn't sell because everyone pirates it and these figures completely disprove that.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
starship said:

Wii ~ 516k
360 ~ 270k
PS2 + PS3 ~ 503k

But, we're Sony...land, wtf?

Seriously, I knew the Wii got off to a flying start here, but how the hell is it outselling both PS2 & PS3 combined? that is truly astonishing, Nintendo has really hit the nail on the head with Wii and DS so far, and we in the UK are lapping it up (And I do beleive sales of BT2 are going strong too).

DSWii60

Stop It said:
But, we're Sony...land, wtf?

Seriously, I knew the Wii got off to a flying start here, but how the hell is it outselling both PS2 & PS3 combined? that is truly astonishing, Nintendo has really hit the nail on the head with Wii and DS so far, and we in the UK are lapping it up (And I do beleive sales of BT2 are going strong too).

What's BT2?

Jokeropia

Nintendo went from 1% stationary console marketshare in Q1 2006 to 40% stationary console marketshare in Q1 2007. (Beating Sony at 39%.) Pretty damn impressive.

starship

Jokeropia said:
Nintendo went from 1% stationary console marketshare in Q1 2006 to 40% stationary console marketshare in Q1 2007. (Beating Sony at 39%.) Pretty damn impressive.
Yeah I agree that this is impressive but not as much as it sounds to be.
GC was dead and there was no Wii in 2006, on the other hand the Wii is the dominant platform right now.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
iapetus said:
Pretty sure there was, what with all the signs they put up on our office doors saying that it's now illegal to smoke inside them.
Oh I know, I live in Northern Ireland, we got it ages ago, but it's only banned in indoor public places which isn't what he said.

Jokeropia

starship said:
Yeah I agree that this is impressive but not as much as it sounds to be.
GC was dead and there was no Wii in 2006, on the other hand the Wii is the dominant platform right now.
Well, going from a dead platform to a dominant one IS what's impressive here.

nli10

Interestingly this means that in the 6 month period that included the launch of the PS3 the Wii sold more units than the PS2 & 3 combined and more games than the PS3.

Sony generated more revenue for the half year than either Nintendo or Microsoft.

360 sold twice as many games as the Wii & PS3 combined

UK Console Software sales % for the period week 1-26 2006 Vs 2007:
In 2006 it was Nintendo on 15.9%, Sony on 65.1% and Microsoft on 19.0%
In 2007 it was Nintendo on 31.8%, Sony on 49.9% and Microsoft on 18.3%
Differences are Nintendo +15.9% Sony -15.2% and Microsoft -0.6%

This shows that while Nintendo are eating into Sony's lead they are still behind on the all important software sales, but momentum is heavily in their favour. While Microsoft is leading in their individual race (the next gen static) the fact that their last gen console only sold 0.43 m to the PS2s 6.49m means that there is still a vast untapped market for them and they seem to be selling to the same people as last gen (but have the best upgrade rate).

nofilter said:
Code:
–œ‡°±·
My Mac hates it. Any chance of a gif?
Use Appleworks - it came free with your mac. :)

starship

Jokeropia said:
Well, going from a dead platform to a dominant one IS what's impressive here.
Yeah I know and I said that's impressive but I meant comparing the last months sales of a daed console to the first months sales of a new console is not fair. I think Nintendo had something like 10-11 percent market share back in 2002 (at the beginning of GC life cycle) so the situation is not going from 1% ---> 40% (3,900% increase!!)

Ronok

Are PC games really dominating any console other then the PS2? Are sales really this low in general? I could have sworn Nintendo handhelds sold more then 400,000 last year. :-/ Am I confusing UK and Euro sales?

God this chart needed better labelling.... Most people say what random figures represent... I mean saying 0.11 without talking about units is pretty random.

Jokeropia

starship said:
Yeah I know and I said that's impressive but I meant comparing the last months sales of a daed console to the first months sales of a new console is not fair. I think Nintendo had something like 10-11 percent market share back in 2002 (at the beginning of GC life cycle) so the situation is not going from 1% ---> 40% (3,900% increase!!)
First half of 2007 doesn't include the very first month sales of Wii. ;) I know GC had a larger than 1% share at the beginning of the generation (and overall) and while the stat doesn't imply that Wii is 40 times more successful than GC it's still a somewhat valid comparison since both Sony and MS have launched their new consoles as well. (I mean, it's not like the GC's relatively early death made Wii's entrance any easier.) What impresses me is basically how they went from distant third in this market to clear leader.

Ronok said:
Are PC games really dominating any console other then the PS2? Are sales really this low in general? I could have sworn Nintendo handhelds sold more then 400,000 last year. :-/ Am I confusing UK and Euro sales?

The 2006 figure only includes the first 26 weeks. So, basically, only one week of Lite sales (launched June 23rd) and minus the Christmas period. The 2006 total will be significantly higher than the 480k or so that these figures account for (which include GBA presumably).

Jokeropia said:
PS3 only has launch week counted but that's where it got the bulk of it's sales to begin with.

These figures are for the first half of 2007 so will include the first week plus 3 months or so of PS3 figures.

Must be the only market in the world where the 360 is outselling the PS2 (well at least in the first half of 2006 it was)

Obviously these figures do not include the hoiday season where sales go through the roof, hopefully we'll get to see those to see the true picture of whats going on in the UK!

Ronok

lochnesssnowman said:
The 2006 figure only includes the first 26 weeks. So, basically, only one week of Lite sales (launched June 23rd) and minus the Christmas period. The 2006 total will be significantly higher than the 480k or so that these figures account for (which include GBA presumably).

Aha! This much makes a lot more sense now. Thank you. :)

legend166

I can't believe how dissapointed I am that no one has made a joke about the "Non Games Excluded" part of the report.

For shame, GAF. For shame.

milanbaros

Member?
Just thought I'd update this thread with my attempt to seperate the PS2 and PS3 numbers.

If Sony console avg. price = RRP (£105 and 425).

PS2 = 221,400
PS3 = 281,700

If Sony console avg. price = £95 and £410

PS2 = 201,100
PS3 = 301,900

DSWii60

milanbaros said:
Just thought I'd update this thread with my attempt to seperate the PS2 and PS3 numbers.

PS2 = 221,400
PS3 = 281,700

PS2 = 201,100
PS3 = 301,900

Nice work. So we know the PS3 has sold between 280,000 and 300,000 in the UK. I would suggest nearer the 300,000 mark.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
milanbaros said:

PS2 = 221,400
PS3 = 281,700

PS2 = 201,100
PS3 = 301,900
I dont get what you've done.

DSWii60

psycho_snake said:
I dont get what you've done.

He's compared the total revenue for hardware to the prices of the PS3 and PS2 and the total number of consoles sold to get a number. At least thats what I assume he's done.

milanbaros

Member?
I took the known number of sony consoles sold (.5031m) and the known revenue .

I'll just post the equation-

Units sold = .5031m
Revuenue (£) = 142.88m

Let x = units of PS2 sold
Let y = units of PS3 sold
Let p2 = avg. price of PS2
Let P3 = avg. price of PS3

(x*p2)+(y*P3) = 142.88

x+y = .5031

At RRP P2=105 P3=425

105x + 425y = 142.88

x = .5031-y

105(.5031-y) +425y = 142.88

52.8255 - 105y + 425y = 142.88

320 y = 90.0545

y = 0.281m

Basically for PS3 units sold, its total revenue minus (average PS2 price multiplied by the total Sony units sold) divided by the price difference between average PS2 and PS3 selling price.

Hope that clears it up. My guess is that the PS3 has sold 300k.

Top Bottom