• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German games market grows by 6% to around €10 billion in 2023 | Consoles +44% YoY; Gaming PCs -17% YoY

"The German games market once again grew significantly overall in 2023: sales of games, games hardware and gaming online services rose by 6 per cent to around 9.97 billion euros. This is a significant increase after sales had only risen by 1 per cent in the previous year. The biggest growth drivers include games consoles and their accessories as well as in-game and in-app purchases. Despite the large number of top-class titles, which increased sales of games purchases by 4 per cent, the number of games sold fell by 8 per cent at the same time. There were also significant declines in some cases for gaming PCs and laptops. The data on the German games market is based on surveys conducted by the consumer panel services GfK and data.ai."
N5xTHgf.png

5IY0koh.png

O5QwYJx.png

vY0wHR7.png

Full report - https://www.game.de/en/german-games-market-in-2023-strong-development-in-turbulent-times/

Kupfer

"Revenue from online gaming serverices remains at previous years's level"
-1% (7 million €) actually - which is a good thing. Hopefully this is not an abnormality but a sign of a trend.
I hope the market is saturated and that people will finally get fed up with buying nonsense for every service game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"Revenue from online gaming serverices remains at previous years's level"
-1% (7 million €) actually - which is a good thing. Hopefully this is not an abnormality but a sign of a trend.
I hope the market is saturated and that people will finally get fed up with buying nonsense for every service game.
Err that was subscription services - in game purchases and battlepasses were up 6% and were 4 times the revenue for actual game purchases.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Err that was subscription services - in game purchases and battlepasses were up 6% and were 4 times the revenue for actual game purchases.
Oh, that's on me. I must have overlooked that. But I also see fewer subscriptions as a good development.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Is it just me or is this excluding mobile completely?
That's like half of the market-spend missing if we go by other territories.

They don't make it clear in the report, but I think they include it in the 'In-game and in-app purchases' category. Usually in-app purchases (e.g. IAPs) refers to mobile game mtx. I could be wrong though...

O5QwYJx.png

Germany used to be PC land, now it's more of a mix. Good to see.

This is why I feel like the attacks on console gaming are shortsighted. The market is always in flux.

Gen Z might not be super into consoles at the moment, but just a single game can change all of that.

What is this generation's Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Minecraft? I don't know, but interests and expectations can change pretty quickly.

I contend that you're never going to get a true console like experience on a cell phone and that PC gaming despite cheap games has a serious barrier of entry and all it takes is one or two exclusives like GTA6 not being on PC to push someone back to consoles who doesn't want to wait a year+

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is an interesting news that consoles have picked up the slack that… PC gaming hardware lost…

“There were also significant declines in some cases for gaming PCs and laptops.”

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is why I feel like the attacks on console gaming are shortsighted. The market is always in flux.

Gen Z might not be super into consoles at the moment, but just a single game can change all of that.

What is this generation's Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Minecraft? I don't know, but interests and expectations can change pretty quickly.

I contend that you're never going to get a true console like experience on a cell phone and that PC gaming despite cheap games has a serious barrier of entry and all it takes is one or two exclusives like GTA6 not being on PC to push someone back to consoles who doesn't want to wait a year+

100% THIS! Michael Pachter and his ilk just don't under this or they are paid to not repeat the truth.

dotnotbot

GTA 6 is just around the corner and it's console first release, there's also PS5 Pro and rumors of some kind of Nextbox coming soon. 2025 will be huge for consoles.

Last edited:

poppabk

Still doing ok when you look at pc accessories and then realise they include gpus in that segment. Has anyone ever considered their gpu an accessory?
Well you have to include it somewhere. It's actually good to see that the component market is a lot bigger than pre-builts.

Not just a single game but just life changes in general. I used to be a PC gamer as well and then switched to consoles. Hell I got into IT because of PC gaming and still left it behind.

poppabk

Gen Z might not be super into consoles at the moment,.....
I contend that you're never going to get a true console like experience on a cell phone.
That's the point, they don't care about a true console like experience.

nowhat

If you look at how German politics have crippled and undermined the flourishing of a potential film industry you'll understand why we don't produce any meaningful games.
Nah, it's just that you never had a great demoscene there. From a Finnish POV, Housemarque and Remedy (especially the former) have very much their roots in the "scene".

Nah, it's just that you never had a great demoscene there. From a Finnish POV, Housemarque and Remedy (especially the former) have very much their roots in the "scene".
Are there any stats on this? I always thought Germany had a fairly large and active demo scene with plenty of events (including Breakpoint, which was AFAIK the world's largest).

In any case, whether or not Germany had much of a demo scene has to be somewhere near the bottom on the list of reasons why the country doesn't have a ton of game developers.

The truth is that compared to other major European countries, particularly the UK and France, Germany just doesn't offer people any real incentives (in terms taxes or otherwise) for opening a studio, and that's probably at least partly intentional. The prevailing view among German politicians (particularly older ones, i.e. most of them) is that games are at best a waste of time and at worst actively harmful to society. Whatever support and grants there are gets wasted on educational software and a small number of larger studios like Piranha Bytes and Daedalic that have gotten used to relying on these handouts and end up releasing trash as a result of their complacency.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
100% THIS! Michael Pachter and his ilk just don't under this or they are paid to not repeat the truth.
There is a lot of industry buddies wish something were to be real that being on message and repeating it is thought to help… maybe it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy they hope :p.

That's the point, they don't care about a true console like experience.

They don't care right now. Thinking they will never care is the flaw with all these "analyst". Lets also remember these are also the same people who over hired because they couldn't understand that the explosion during covid would be temporary.

Yet here we are expecting them to be able to predict the gaming trends of a generation of children for the next 15+ years.

It is an interesting news that consoles have picked up the slack that… PC gaming hardware lost…

“There were also significant declines in some cases for gaming PCs and laptops.”

Not surprising given the price of PC hardware nowadays. In this current economy, folks are not spending multiple thousands of euros for a GPU, no matter what NVidia is smoking.

LMFAO... I guess nobody saw this...

Screenshot-2024-04-09-162336.png

Hardware sales deviate from the previous figures due to fundamentally changing the categorization of gaming PCs and laptops :LOL:

poppabk

They don't care right now. Thinking they will never care is the flaw with all these "analyst". Lets also remember these are also the same people who over hired because they couldn't understand that the explosion during covid would be temporary.

Yet here we are expecting them to be able to predict the gaming trends of a generation of children for the next 15+ years.
Oh they understood that the covid explosion was likely only temporary. They hire for the current conditions otherwise the competition will suck up the talent pool along with some of their employees and if things become the new norm they are screwed. If things go back to normal they just have to let some people go.

jm89

LMFAO... I guess nobody saw this...

Screenshot-2024-04-09-162336.png

Hardware sales deviate from the previous figures due to fundamentally changing the categorization of gaming PCs and laptops :LOL:
Well if their previous categorization isn't something that was truly reflective of what they were trying to convey for pc gaming market(e.g. overinflating numbers due to flawed categorization) then it makes sense they would revise it 🤷

Last edited:
Well if their previous categorization isn't something that was truly reflective of what they were trying to convey for pc gaming market(e.g. overinflating numbers due to flawed categorization) then it makes sense they would revise it 🤷
And thus the comparison goes out the window :rolleyes:

Mate, Mate, Mate...

L55GENK.png
No shit... but what's the definition now? What counted before, and doesn't count now... or what didn't count before and counts now?

It would be nice to know what they consider "gaming PCs and Laptops specifically"... and it would be nice to know exactly.. so they don't go fucking around with it on a whim.

No they back calculated the previous years for this report. Still checking this report versus the 2021 report, for 2021 everything is the same except 340 million euros of laptop/desktop sales were removed. So they made a big change to how they were calculating this.
Indeed... now what change? Why? Is it only devices which are marketed specifically as "gaming".. and perhaps they counted certain other PC/Laptops which weren't before?

Why did they feel the change necessary?

My point is that sure... the chart they posted may be accurate when comparing the 3 years... but who is to say that all the PCs/Laptops out there which they counted before.. but don't count now... aren't being used for gaming?

Last edited:
Top Bottom