• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindustry.biz: PS5 had a 43% share of all console sales over the last 12 months (Nov 2022 to Oct 2023), but risen to 50% in the last 6 months

100 billion on acquisitions just to end up leaving the console market. it’s deff possible but that would be the biggest blunder in Microsoft history.

I think Microsoft already made it clear what their next step is, I don’t necessarily think they are leaving the console
Market but they’re deff gonna go the hybrid route with their next console.
Ms didn’t buy Activision thinking about consoles, come on now.

laynelane

Sooooo, game pass on PlayStation when?

I can't see a single reason for Sony or Nintendo to put a competitor's service on their platform - one which is value-destructive and cannibalizes games sales as proven by court documents and XBox' performance since its (GP) inception. As well, I think Sony bolstering its own sub services was a fairly clear indication of their stance on this issue. I admittedly could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

K' Dash

Lulz.

I don’t think you understand what healthy competition means.
Keyword: healthy.

What MS is doing is nowhere near healthy. It’s the complete opposite.

And what Sony is going to do without competition is the best for us gamers? don't be naive, please. Someone needs to keep Sony in check... Just being there as a menace if they let themselves go is enough for me.

You don't want the version of Sony where they have a monopoly.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Don’t think that will ever happen. Maybe if MS manages to cornor Sony into submission like maybe buying up all western 3party pubs.

Or if MS exit the console markert all together and becomes a 3rd party pub.

Even then i’m not so sure, but who knows man.
I wasnt being serious. It wouldn’t make sense at the current price unless Sony got a completely massive cut and then it wouldn’t make sense for ms either.

SenkiDala

I'm honestly impressed by 2 things.

- MS can buy the universe they still won't be popular, you fucked up at the end on the 360, you had your momentum and you ruined it, you fucked up with most of the Xbox One era, it's like they are done, there's nothing that can save them. I mean they're literally so much incapable to produce their own high quality AAA games that they're literally ACQUIRING PUBLISHERS so multplat AAA games stop going on Sony's consoles, like "hey they have their own AAA games for their 1st party studios, they don't need Deathloop, HiFi Rush, Starfield, Avowed, etc".

- Sony is the most popular brand in gaming ever and I doubt it'll change in the coming decades, it would need a new challenger that we don't know yet about. They are the kings.

The image of Microsoft in the gaming industry, outside of USA and Canada is catastrophic, I bought every Xbox on day one, I love their consoles but forced to admit that the situation isn't bright for them. In console market they're over, let's face it, I hope for them they'll rise in the Cloud gaming universe but after trying Gforce Now and the ne PS+ "premium" cloud I doubt it (seriously guys try it it's unbelievable it's VERY hard to tell the difference between streaming and downloaded game), they're the last in terms of quality. The video quality of xCloud is pathetic, it didn't improve since its launch, it is laggy as fuck, 15 to 30 minutes waiting line at every moment of the day, while on Gforce now and PS+ cloud you have like 10 seconds wait before the game launches and runs so well... xCloud is basically shit, they can't become leader with that.

onQ123

And what Sony is going to do without competition is the best for us gamers? don't be naive, please. Someone needs to keep Sony in check... Just being there as a menace if they let themselves go is enough for me.

This is dumb. Nintendo has no competition & Switch owners are being blessed with game after game even this late in Switch's life cycle.

PS1 & PS2 had no competition late in their life cycle & it was actually better for the industry because they only had to focus on one platform & the games where steadily coming.

Look what BG3 devs are going through with Series S & what Hogwarts Legacy devs are going through with Switch .

K' Dash

This is dumb. [proceeds to write diarrhea]
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Forth

I only have a Series X but I'll personally admit that I don't know what Microsoft's plan is for the future and it makes me hesitant to support the series X going forward.
Devs will always support the console with the biggest market share simply because that's were the sales are and I just can't see Microsoft breaking any new ground in the area outside America.
I would really like Microsoft to go third party publisher so that I can go Playstation and not have to miss out on Bethesda games.

The global market growth on consoles is driven by PlayStation 5, which has grown exponentially over 2022. This is because PS5 was largely missing from store shelves due to severe stock shortages last year (although the US market appeared to fare better than others). PS5 is delivering record-breaking numbers right now, but that is partially due to pent up demand caused by a lack of availability in 2022.

The success of the Switch is impressive, but the growth is mostly localised in Japan and other export territories. In the US, Switch sales have dropped 21% this year, while sales have slipped 7% across Europe.

As for Xbox, it's been a tough year for Microsoft's platform as it's declined in sales during its third year on sale in most major markets.
I know a solution to this problem, Nintendo - it's called the Switch 2! 😏 Bring it already!

Riky

$MSFT
It's not very surprising here in the UK, there have been regular discounts on PS5 as they cleared the old model all through summer, normally £70+ cheaper than a Series X.
The last couple of days with the Modern Warfare III PS5 model being heavily discounted the price of Series X has fallen to the same level with Modern Warfare III bundled and a bundle that also includes Diablo.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
It's not very surprising here in the UK, there have been regular discounts on PS5 as they cleared the old model all through summer, normally £70+ cheaper than a Series X.
The last couple of days with the Modern Warfare III PS5 model being heavily discounted the price of Series X has fallen to the same level with Modern Warfare III bundled and a bundle that also includes Diablo.
squint-eye.gif

MS should hate-buy Valve, just pay $20bn for em.
I know this is meant as a humorous response, but their value is probably considerably higher than that. And let's say it's not a problem since MS basically has infinite money, then Valve being purchased by MS would make them a de facto monopoly in the PC gaming space, with them owning the biggest digital storefront in the world (Steam) and also the Windows Store and the Battlenet client.

There's no way that the EU commission - or the CMA for that matter - will let them pass such an acquisition, and if they do, then I'm not sure what to think anymore, other than our government agencies being highly regarded.

Starfield was so disappointing that people on the fence lost all hope on Xbox and decided to buy a PS5 instead
Disregarding the game itself, if you think about it, I'm pretty sure PlayStation has yet to release a first party game locked to 30fps.

Which is actually kind of surprising. I wonder if that will happen eventually.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I find your last sentence hard to understand. Are you saying that in the UK the Series X with diablo bundle cost the same as the PS5+COD modern warfare 3 bundle or that for the price of the PS5 bundle you can have the Series X+ diablo bundle and COD modern warfare 3? In any case I didn't know that the Series X was having discounts in the UK recently. Like since Wednesday?

Woopah

Some really really interesting stats here, I wish we got this sort of thing more often.

The Xbox results have already been talked about a lot, so I'll focus on the two things most interesting to me which are:

• There's some worries about the economy, but PS5 sales have doubled in Europe and Switch OLED sales are up YoY in Europe. Clearly people will pay high prices when they see the value
  • Compared to its phenomenol performance in Japan and great performance in Europe, Switch's performance in the US is just "good". That's where they need Switch 2 the most.
Wait I thought the Switch was in competition with PS5, has that changed and the Switch is still running a race the PS4 finish years ago.
Sorry I can't Keep up with the back and forth of who Nintendo is in competition with depending on the other platforms sales 😏
Switch competes with whichever Sony/Microsoft console is available. And vice versa
- Sony is the most popular brand in gaming ever and I doubt it'll change in the coming decades, it would need a new challenger that we don't know yet about. They are the kings.
Sony and Nintendo will probably keep swapping that position in the coming years unless something drastic happens.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Games won't change a thing. Starfield and Forza proved exactly his point and nothing would've changed even if both were 11/10 games.
Starfield and Forza not even being 7/10 games is exactly why nothing changed.

Xbox published Hi-Fi Rush in January and that was a solid high 8/low 9. Imagine if they kept that quality up for Starfield and Forza? Sales would actually go up for the first time in forever.

Last edited:
I can confirm this is true in other parts of Europe as well. I can get the Series X bundled with COD MW3 and Diablo 4 for around €450.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I can confirm this is true in other parts of Europe as well. I can get the Series X bundled with COD MW3 and Diablo 4 for around €450.
Thanks for this answer. Riky Riky post was hard to understand. I just verified and the Series X had a price increase a few months ago, so this would mean that this discount is -100€ and with 2 games that are not on Gamepass, so another 100€ given by Xbox? And that in the UK and at least some countries in Europe ?
Crazy that such a big drop had no dedidaced thread... Draugoth Draugoth we need you!

Last edited:

Mr Moose

And what exactly are MicroSoft doing to keep Sony "in check"? Buying all the publishers? Yeah, no thanks, rather not have Xbox being part of the big 3 if that's all they are going to do.

Killjoy-NL

Starfield and Forza not even being 7/10 games is exactly why nothing changed.

Xbox published Hi-Fi Rush in January and that was a solid high 8/low 9. Imagine if they kept that quality up for Starfield and Forza? Sales would actually go up for the first time in forever.
Wouldn't have mattered. People won't jump ship for those games and PS5-momentum is too great.

It's literally what Phil Spencer was saying and what the market shows.
He even said that he reads all these kinds of discussions and people are just wrong when they say it's a matter of releasing good games.

Thanks for this answer. Riky Riky post was hard to understand. I just verified and the Series X had a price increase a few months ago, so this would mean that this discount is -100€ and with 2 games that are not on Gamepass, so another 100€ given by Xbox? And that in the UK and at least some countries in Europe ?
Crazy that such a big drop had no dedidaced thread... Draugoth Draugoth we need you!
Yup, the non-discounted price is €550 so that sounds about right. The weird thing is that I noticed this bundle just yesterday randomly checking for some Black Friday deals on games and Switch accessories. It's from a Czech online store that sells locally where i'm from (Romania). The biggest retailer had the SX + Diablo 4 bundle, but at €500 which is currently sold out.

Here's a pic with the bundle 2372 lei = €477 so I was slightly off.

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People won't jump ship for those games and PS5-momentum is too great.
No one is asking for any jumping ship, just a reason to have Xbox, even as a PS5 companion console.

I know he also said that 8th gen was all where the digital library was built up, it legit means nothing. Nintendo resets their digital library every time they release a system and yet the Switch succeeded because they made good games. It is about as simple as that.

Mr Moose

Yup, the non-discounted price is €550 so that sounds about right. The weird thing is that I noticed this bundle just yesterday randomly checking for some Black Friday deals on games and Switch accessories. It's from a Czech online store that sells locally where i'm from (Romania). The biggest retailer had the SX + Diablo 4 bundle, but at €500 which is currently sold out.

image.png

image.png
Yup, some good deals at the moment.

What's included in this bundle?
  • Xbox Series X + Free Diablo IV Pack
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare III
  • Free Call of Duty Modern Warfare III Captain Price Hat
  • Free Call of Duty Modern Warfare III Exclusive Steelbook

OuterLimits

Oh, you would be surprised by how many would strangely love for Sony to have a monopoly in the console market.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

image.png

image.png
Thanks. I just looked for deals in Dealabs and in France the 20th of november(our version of Black friday I think) a good deal will open for the Series X. The console alone will be 399€ in all big sellers like Darty, Fnac... One supermarket chain will also give you 10€ in credits on top of this. So 389.99€. Remember that this is with a 20% TVA tax included. There is also a 500€ deal for the Series X and Assassin creed mirage and COD out since a few days. Crazy deals. If not for the controller I think I would have tried to buy one for a gift. But I don't think that my friend can use the Xbox controller.

Thanks. I just looked for deals in Dealabs and in France the 20th of november(our version of Black friday I think) a good deal will open for the Series X. The console alone will be 399€ in all big sellers like Darty, Fnac... One supermarket chain will also give you 10€ in credits on top of this. So 389.99€. Remember that this is with a 20% TVA tax included. There is also a 500€ deal for the Series X and Assassin creed mirage and COD out since a few days. Crazy deals. If not for the controller I think I would have tried to buy one for a gift. But I don't think that my friend can use the Xbox controller.
Yup, there are (or there will be) some sweet deals for the Series X across all Europe - at least for this Black Friday 'season' - and yeah, our american friends reading this thread should take into account that the UK, FR and RO prices we've listed are with VAT included which means that MS are taking quite a large loss here on hardware in order to move units (not that this should matter for the average consumer looking for a current-gen system). Probably US will have some insane deals as well when their Black Friday deals start popping-up.

Not sure why a decline is celebrated. Competition is always good for the consumer, not just one platform leaping ahead.

This is an absurd fallacy.

Competition =/= the mere existence of opposition in a market.

A company in the gaming market, offering shitty products is NOT competition.

MS with their Xbox business is NOT competing. If they were, they would be matching Sony's output of quality AAA games.

Have you not been paying attention at all to all the comments from MS execs that we received from the FDA proceedings?

Based on the very words from the execs at Xbox, MS is NOT trying to compete with Sony in the console space. They are doing everything possible to muscle Sony out of the market by NOT competing directly with them.

This is kinda BS is NOT good for the consumer, NOT good for the market, nor game producers within the industry.

The major corporate consolidation MS has started is NOT good for the industry or consumers. Not even close. It's fucking awful and the single worst thing that could possibly happen to the gaming industry.

Killjoy-NL

No one is asking for any jumping ship, just a reason to have Xbox, even as a PS5 companion console.

I know he also said that 8th gen was all where the digital library was built up, it legit means nothing. Nintendo resets their digital library every time they release a system and yet the Switch succeeded because they made good games. It is about as simple as that.
The vast majority of gamers doesn't own a secondary console, unless it's a Nintendo system.

That's why Xbox Series is struggling and PS5 is selling like hotcakes, even when Sony has a slow year with game output.

The interest just isn't there and Xbox already messed up last-gen.

Again, Spencer was pretty clear about all these topics, but it's like a certain demographic just can't process even the idea of it.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I mean like besides everything that people dislike about Starfield's gameplay and loading screens, etc, on the surface, it's locked at 30fps on console and I don't think a single Playstation first party game is like this. Which gives the edge to PS5 when people are considering which console to buy or upgrade to.
Ok I understand now.

Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

MacReady13

I have a feeling MS have bought marketing rights for it which is why we're getting a marketing announcement near black friday for a game that's potentially more than a year away. It's very likely tied to one of the consoles (or GP).
Rockstar surely wouldn't be putting a game as big as GTA6 on a sub service at launch... Would kill sales for this game.

Top Bottom