• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD Europe: PS5 4.68m; NSW 2.33m; X/S 0.88 m (Nov: PS5 1.21m; NSW 0.38m; X/S 0.18m)

zedinen

Many thanks to Christopher Dring, GamesIndustry.biz and Install-Base

Data does not include all markets and is missing Germany.

November

Q3pP5GS.jpg

YTD

RPQm3Fb.jpg

LET6QZI.jpg

qtQSrSD.jpg

Christopher Dring

PS5 is almost outselling the competition combined in UK (May 31, 2023)

GamesIndustry.biz: UK Monthly Charts

PS5 has had a 51% market over the last six months

Nintendo Switch has fallen to 25%.

Xbox has seen its market share drop to 23%

There was a slight drop in console hardware sales in the UK, according to GfK figures.

Sales dropped 10% month-on-month to 176,022 devices sold (panel data).

There was a slight dip of 4% in sales of PS5

Xbox Series S and X suffered a sales drop of 33%

Microsoft’s platforms still narrowly manages to stay ahead of Nintendo Switch, which is once again in third spot. However, Nintendo Switch sales did rise 15% over the month before.

Christopher Dring (Speaking to IGN)

"However, even in the UK, which is a market where Xbox is a lot more competitive it's been a tough year, with Xbox Series S and X sales down 23% year-to-date."

Germany: First Half of 2023

nq75M6H.jpg

TheBomb

Microsoft acquired amazing ips, but time to spend money in actually making them for the next generation.

Microsoft are just prolonging the inevitable at this point. Xbox is finished and these numbers prove it. The fact that they're also losing further ground in the UK and US compared to last gen is another indicator. They are continually declining. People are kidding themselves if they think Microsoft will stick around when they are only selling 5m a year and their competitors are doing 20m+. They can't grow their subs if people ain't buying their hardware. What they can do is Ditch the hardware and put their software and subs everywhere they can. That's the way forward for Microsoft.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Dang, Maybe TimDog should be asking what Xbox did to Europe and not Gaf
After TimDoggyDog draws a picture of the Dream Team of Spencer and Greenberg, he will need to go to the local Tesco and other supermarkets selling consoles and harass the customers to buy the Series X/S instead of the PS5 in their hand. That should stem the bleeding for MS on European sales.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft are just prolonging the inevitable at this point. Xbox is finished and these numbers prove it. The fact that they're also losing further ground in the UK and US compared to last gen is another indicator. They are continually declining. People are kidding themselves if they think Microsoft will stick around when they are only selling 5m a year and their competitors are doing 20m+.

Yup, I think if they don't see a considerable turn around in the short term future. 2 to 3 years. They will just go third party.

Nonehxc

LOL a 5:1 split during their 3rd year? 😱

What am I talking about split. That's not a split, that's carnage with a rusted bent saw. 🙈🙈🪚🩸🫁🫀🧠🦷🦴💀

I mean, GamePass and the Series X aren't so bad, especially when you get both on the cheap new like I did. Subbed till 2026 GPU for 40 $ each year since January '21 and getting a close to launch Series X for 400$ directly from Microsoft, I'm at the same time Phil Spencer best bro and worst enemy, because I'm engaged like fuck and also took advantage of some nice legal ways to make them subsidizing me especially brutal for them 😆😆

Never would have thought they would be beaten into a pulp like this, especially after opening the botomless war chest to give us cheap everything, but oh well. 😐

Quantum253

After TimDoggyDog draws a picture of the Dream Team of Spencer and Greenberg, he will need to go to the local Tesco and other supermarkets selling consoles and harass the customers to buy the Series X/S instead of the PS5 in their hand. That should stem the bleeding for MS on European sales.
With every petrol fill-up, you get an Xbox.

killatopak

I seriously wonder how. It shouldn’t be this bad even in the worst case scenario.

Is there a reason for this? Genuine question.

nowhat

11 months. December numbers are pending.
Of course, but do you really think it will make a difference?

Finland, where I live in, is a small market naturally. But we are quite tech-oriented as well. The best-selling $THING on Black Friday was PS5, and this is not according to "analysts" but actually polling retailers, both on- and offline. Like among all the sold products, not just game consoles, it was #1. OK, there may have been a deal on toilet paper that did very well or somesuch, but when it comes to larger purchases. And will it be different in December? It's possible... but also very, very unlikely.

Last edited:

Woopah

Some of the ratios here are pretty interesting.

UK to continental Europe is basically 1:1 for Xbox, but more like 1:4 for PS and Switch.

Looking at November specifically, Switch either underperformed in continental Europe or overperformed in the UK.

yazenov

Of course, but do you really think it will make a difference?

Finland, where I live in, is a small market naturally. But we are quite tech-oriented as well. The best-selling $THING on Black Friday was PS5, and this is not according to "analysts" but actually polling retailers, both on- and offline. Like among all the sold products, not just game consoles, it was #1. OK, there may have been a deal on toilet paper that did very well or somesuch, but when it comes to consumer electronics. And will it be different in December? It's possible... but also very, very unlikely.

I do not think it will make a difference but the last 2 months of the year are supposed to be the biggest months in sales :p

Xbox is dead in Europe and Asia.

Last edited:

VitoNotVito

Some of the ratios here are pretty interesting.

UK to continental Europe is basically 1:1 for Xbox, but more like 1:4 for PS and Switch.

Looking at November specifically, Switch either underperformed in continental Europe or overperformed in the UK.
Yeah, I thought historically UK was always a second biggest market for Xbox (after Amurica).

Quantum253

Yeah, I thought historically UK was always a second biggest market for Xbox (after Amurica).
I've always heard it was the asia/Japanese market that struggled since the 360 days. Europe had great support and amazing developers. Not sure what happened. Streaming/live services/gass

//DEVIL//

They don't have a presence in Europe. Where PlayStation is everywhere in ads and everything. Of course it will sell like shit.

Doesn't help when you have 18 months of Xbox life and you don't release games but one game that became a laughing stock and a meme redfall. Kinda reminded me of wall guy from perfect dark Xbox 360.

Then there is the brute in halo.... Yeah I am surprised they even sold something

Last edited:

nowhat

They don't have a presence in Europe. Where PlayStation is everywhere in ads and everything. Of course it will sell like shit.
This is true, and also very strange. I don't personally enjoy ads that much, but it's undeniable that they matter. If you're going to increase your market share, it takes some effort. Or when it comes to marketing, you got to spend money to make money. It's like they gave up the race before even competing (it has been the same pretty much since Series launch).

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Good grief those numbers are terrible. I love PUBG on my Series X but that’s all I use it for. If given a choice of two out of three between XBOX, PC, and PS5, I’ll take my PC and PS5. Good grief (again).

Yup, I think if they don't see a considerable turn around in the short term future. 2 to 3 years. They will just go third party.

Thats what Microsoft is trying to do with all the acquisitions but it hasnt been working because there's still no big software from those acquisitions. Microsoft need an exclusive call of duty and elder scrolls game now. Not in 5+ years time. That's why I think they'll have a difficult time turning it around. They won't have the software to do it. With these kind of numbers, it just doesn't make sense for Microsoft to have their own hardware. It actually hinders them more than anything. Microsoft should put their software and services everywhere they can.

Last edited:

jm89

CoD is irrelevant in mainland Europe & Asia.

Fortnite, EA FC & Apex dominate EU on Console.

Maybe in the UK.
I wouldn't say COD is irellevant in europe, especially not the UK.

But EA FC rules europe, and sony are marketing playstation to that crowd masterfully.

Mr.Phoenix

11 months. December numbers are pending.
Phew... December will save Xbox.
At this point, arguing as to why they shouldn't do that may come off as crazy. If the likes of Take 2 can make a fortune from being third party, so can MS. And we can argue that they are poised to be the biggest third-party publisher ever.

As crazy as it may sound, Xbox is holding back Microsoft...
Will COD on Gamepass Day 1 make a difference?
At this point, I'm not so sure.
Nope. It would decimate whatever sales the game would have made on PC though. So a better question is how long would the COD gamepass bump hold? Ah well, I guess MS doesn't have anything to worry about, they would probably still get over 7M sales for the game on PS alone.
I wouldn't say COD is irellevant in europe, especially not the UK.

But EA FC rules europe, and sony are marketing playstation to that crowd masterfully.
MS acquiring EA next...

Last edited:
Top Bottom