• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 2023: PS5 is almost outselling NSW and X|S combined

Kuranghi

Not, I mean the gap between PS and Xbox becoming 10m-20m.

For example, PS5 sells 100+m, while XbS sells 80+m. This is not a good look, considering Xbox one vs PS4 gap was huge. And it will be a matter of time before both consoles go neck to neck when the new gen comes out.

Anything can happen in these remaining years, so I am not gonna take the current gap as a win. Either company could hinder their momentum with a simple stupid mistake.

Brucey

Not, I mean the gap between PS and Xbox becoming 10m-20m.

For example, PS5 sells 100+m, while XbS sells 80+m. This is not a good look, considering Xbox one vs PS4 gap was huge. And it will be a matter of time before both consoles go neck to neck when the new gen comes out.

Anything can happen in these remaining years, so I am not gonna take the current gap as a win. Either company could hinder their momentum with a simple stupid mistake.
Series will be lucky to end up with 40 million consoles sold by end of generation given their recent dropoff in sales.

Depends on which studio makes those games.

For example, naughty dog is busy with last of us factions, which took a lot of time from them.

Their new games could have been released early as possible had they not worked on factions.

Most of their studios have multiple teams though. Which is something you refuse to accept.

Eat It Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Where's your god now?

:messenger_winking_tongue:

feynoob

Banned
Most of their studios have multiple teams though. Which is something you refuse to accept.

Eat It Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Where's your god now?

:messenger_winking_tongue:
As long as I get new God of war and possible infamous remake.

There's no proof of that yet. For that to happen there needs to be a massive increase in sales. Something we haven't seen yet.
They can.
Remember that they are 20m already with in 2 years of this console with huge draught on their output and stock issues.

65+ to 70+ possible hit. Anything more than that is a miracle (if they have huge games that we don't know).

As long as I get new God of war and possible infamous remake.

They can.
Remember that they are 20m already with in 2 years of this console with huge draught on their output and stock issues.

65+ to 70+ possible hit. Anything more than that is a miracle (if they have huge games that we don't know).

Games won't automatically fix everything. You have to get people to buy the systems as well.

feynoob

Banned
It's only one part of the equation.
A lot of people will buy Xbox if they show different games other than gears Forza and halo. Late Xbox one had that image.

They started this gen with those games. Flight sim is a niche and a PC game, so it won't attract people.

Games like fable, starfield, avowed and to extent hell blade 2 will make people change how they view Xbox.

After that, MS will have to try and attract fighting and japanese games to their system. They have killer instinct in their vault, which for some reason aren't using it. They have couple of Japanese games, which needs a remake for their console.

There is too much potential, but unfulfilled due to the current management.

A lot of people will buy Xbox if they show different games other than gears Forza and halo. Late Xbox one had that image.

They started this gen with those games. Flight sim is a niche and a PC game, so it won't attract people.

Games like fable, starfield, avowed and to extent hell blade 2 will make people change how they view Xbox.

After that, MS will have to try and attract fighting and japanese games to their system. They have killer instinct in their vault, which for some reason aren't using it. They have couple of Japanese games, which needs a remake for their console.

There is too much potential, but unfulfilled due to the current management.

Well it depends if people care about those titles. Your not going to get big sales by focusing on niche markets. As for Japan I don't think Xbox will attract Japanese gamers to their platform this gen. Seems like a grim picture when your expecting it to outsell the 360.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well there’s no chance for Xbox to change that but it’s still worrying that PS5 sold less this past month than last year.

Final Fantasy will need to be a bonafide genuine critical hit or this summer might be slow for PlayStation. Real slow.

feynoob

Banned
Well it depends if people care about those titles. Your not going to get big sales by focusing on niche markets. As for Japan I don't think Xbox will attract Japanese gamers to their platform this gen. Seems like a grim picture when your expecting it to outsell the 360.
I am not expecting it to outsell x360.
80m is a miracle for them. Just hit that 70m for potential big partnership in the future.

feynoob

Banned
At their current pace they would be extremely lucky to hit 70 million. If the numbers are true it will probably land around 50-60 million if there isn't a massive increase in sales.
If it weren't for that supply shipment issue at the start of the gen, both systems would have sold a lot by now.

Also starting numbers isn't indication for future forecast, as those tend to change depending on how your platform is doing. Now that Xbox is starting to catch up with their exclusives games, it should change their console sales.

They didn't had any AAA game during 2022, which could have boosted their console sales.

If it weren't for that supply shipment issue at the start of the gen, both systems would have sold a lot by now.

Also starting numbers isn't indication for future forecast, as those tend to change depending on how your platform is doing. Now that Xbox is starting to catch up with their exclusives games, it should change their console sales.

They didn't had any AAA game during 2022, which could have boosted their console sales.

Well Sony didn't have the best lineup either and they lost to Microsoft one year. Yet they still managed to do well.

It's not just about releasing games. It's about releasing games that sell systems. Not to mention you need to have a good supply and a very desirable product.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Don’t think this is true, is that supported by data? Aside from PS3 which console changed its fortunes midway through?

feynoob

Banned
Don’t think this is true, is that supported by data? Aside from PS3 which console changed its fortunes midway through?
The data I am going by is the output of their games before vs the output of their games after, the stock situation and how having AAA marketing and hype sells the console.

For xbs, they started the gen with 0 exclusive.
Late 2021, they had Forza horizon and halo infinite with smaller games and flight simulator.
Entire 2022 had nothing, so they depended more on 3rd party games selling their system.

Now with a lot of big games at their belt, that is more marketing, more exposure for Xbox, and more restocked consoles as each of these games allows the console to be sold to new or existing customers.

I am saying this because of the stock planing. In order to produce certain units, they have to products that can sell those, otherwise the system won't sell that much, if they over stock. 2022 saw decline in stock, as they had no major games. But since 2023 has major games, that is a huge production for their stock planing.

R reksveks
Correct me if I am wrong, since you are more knowledgeable than me.

feynoob

Banned
Well Sony didn't have the best lineup either and they lost to Microsoft one year. Yet they still managed to do well.

It's not just about releasing games. It's about releasing games that sell systems. Not to mention you need to have a good supply and a very desirable product.
No, that is not the case.
Sony has more market exposure unlike Xbox.
They have Asia and Europe locked down. 2 markets which Xbox is struggling hard.

For Xbox to outsell them, that means they are doing heavy left in markets like US and UK as those are their Strongest marketing area. They have little presence outside of those 2 markets, with more presence in Latin America and Mexico.

feynoob

Banned
Title yes, posts in thread… nope just plugging their ears and pretending it’s not happening.
They had totk, which is why they managed to outsell them.

PS still has FF16 marketing, so they will get back their position. Now it all depends on how that game performs there. It's not the same thing as the Hogwarts legacy, but it should sell a lot of PS5.

Last edited:

For Xbox to outsell them, that means they are doing heavy left in markets like US and UK as those are their Strongest marketing area. They have little presence outside of those 2 markets, with more presence in Latin America and Mexico.

And who do you think is to blame for Europe and Asia? Those are pretty significant markets and they are doing horrible im them. What makes you think they will make up for sales in the US and UK?

feynoob

Banned
And who do you think is to blame for Europe and Asia? Those are pretty significant markets and they are doing horrible im them. What makes you think they will make up for sales in the US and UK?
Same reason why Xbox one lost those markets in the first place. Games.

I don't get how hard it is to understand that games are what sells your system. Their marketing and mouth to mouth help spread your console exposure.

Why do you think people buy PS5 for?
Same thing will happen to Xbox, when they get those games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why do you guys leave Nintendo out when you are prissy slap fighting over console sales? Lol 😂
With Nintendo included people have to use adverbs like almost when talking about outselling everything else. With Nintendo excluded it allows people to use cool verbs like dominate and destroy without using those wimpy adverbs.

Same reason why Xbox one lost those markets in the first place. Games.

I don't get how hard it is to understand that games are what sells your system. Their marketing and mouth to mouth help spread your console exposure.

Why do you think people buy PS5 for?
Same thing will happen to Xbox, when they get those games.

Not Europe and Asia. Those are very different markets than the US and UK. Microsoft needs to cater to those consumers.

Why do you struggle with this?

tmlDan

They need to keep it that way, and not piss of their fans.
It's already bad that games take 3-5 years to make these days. Adding too much live service means certain games will take longer time to make.
what? How does it make games longer to make if they have live service games with studios who never worked on single player games? aka Haven and Firewalk.

You're also ignoring that live service games (like Destiny) have a constant flow of content so it actually leads to less downtime than creating single player games every 5-7 years.

feynoob

Banned
what? How does it make games longer to make if they have live service games with studios who never worked on single player games? aka Haven and Firewalk.

You're also ignoring that live service games (like Destiny) have a constant flow of content so it actually leads to less downtime than creating single player games every 5-7 years.
I ment the SP studios. If any of them make a single live service game, it would take time and resources from them.
Remember that Sony has 12+ live service games on plan. lets hope that none of their SP studios touch those games.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I ment the SP studios. If any of them make a single live service game, it would take time and resources from them.
Remember that Sony has 12+ live service games on plan. lets hope that none of their SP studios touch those games.
and thats why they're expanding the studios, they're not taking resources from single player games - this is public info from their quarterly reports.

Woopah

Sony's market share was over 50% Jan to April, so I guess the new news here is that the PS5 market share dropped below the 50% mark in May?

Brucey

But there's no "heavy lift" going on in the US or UK?

Ultimately the PS5 at $400/$500+ has significantly outsold the xb series gen that had a minimum entry price of around $200 with series s holiday sales in 2022. Series has already entered 360 arcade pricing levels. Any Verizon mobile subscriber can buy a series s for $150 no contracts involved. We have yet to see what a price cut to the ps5s will have on the market but it's fair to say it will cause a further increase in demand over current levels.

feynoob

Banned
But there's no "heavy lift" going on in the US or UK?

Ultimately the PS5 at $400/$500+ has significantly outsold the xb series gen that had a minimum entry price of around $200 with series s holiday sales in 2022. Series has already entered 360 arcade pricing levels. Any Verizon mobile subscriber can buy a series s for $150 no contracts involved. We have yet to see what a price cut to the ps5s will have on the market but it's fair to say it will cause a further increase in demand over current levels.
read his post.

TLZ

Banned

It's best whenever the term Xbox is used, PS is used, not Sony. If you want to use Sony, then use MS as well.

Top Bottom