• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSD European Sales February 2024 PS5#1(-2%) NSW#2(-17%) XBS#3(-47%) / Helldivers 2#1 FC 24#2 FF VII rebirth#3

GHG

I’d say they’ve already started. This is exactly how Microsoft started last gen, with late PC ports, then they talked about expanding on it, and eventually tried day 1, don’t remember what was the first one, maybe Gears 5(?). Then people were talking about waiting on PC releases instead, so they tried to keep their core fans from jumping to Steam through a midgen upgrade and storefront bonuses.
Idk I see too many similarities.

But I already jumped and the consequences from my own action of retiring both consoles is enough proof for me to say it’s a bad strategy, I used to be a dedicated console gamer and now I’m not.

You say all this, but then I've also seen you complaining about them delaying PC ports.

So which is it?

They are at 28 million now. I see them selling 6 million in 2024 (no less than 5 million). Then I see them selling at least 3.5 million in 2025 (mainly due to GTA6). And finally in 2026, they should be able to sell 2 million minimum. So that's borderline 40 million total.

You don't think they can do even that?
Will gta 6 even come out on Xbox on time, and not on 17 discs?

I would be surprised if they hit 40 million. I guess if they sold them for $200 maybe they could there. But they doseem to like losing money so I guess $150 isn’t out of the question.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes it will, especially with their GaaS game

The discount is so deep that the price it’s only €25 cheaper than launch price.

Where are you based?
So is that about $480 or so?

Not sure on dollars, looking at conversions and its around 90 - 102 dollars discount. So whatever that works out as.

Quick maths will put it at around 395 dollars for a disk PS5 slim.

Last edited:
It's really weird seeing so many people on here wishing for Xbox' death. And then what? Sony having their market to themselves is the worst-case scenario for everyone.

Sony would never have the market to themselves though. Besides they really don't have the financial power to create a monopoly. That's more something that Microsoft is capable of but thankfully going exclusive was a pretty bad idea for them.

yazenov

The rumored delayed launch of the Switch 2 to 2025 leaves Sony with basically no competition this year. Sony must be pleased with this.

Xbox sales are pathetic . Who would have thought they sold much worse than last generation's Xbox One? Rise your hand, please. The Xbox console brand is done and there is no coming back from this. Kill it and go full multiplatform day-one release on all consoles. It's the best and the only option available to MS. It's over and good riddance.

Their bet on Game Pass failed. After the demise of the Xbox console, Game pass is next without question. It's only a matter of time until MS pulls the plug on Game Pass.

Fredrik

You say all this, but then I've also seen you complaining about them delaying PC ports.

So which is it?
I’m just able to see the consequences from my own actions. I don’t need a Xbox now. That’s the consequence of Microsoft’s strategy. And assuming I can deal with some delays (I’ll experiment for a year or two) I don’t need a Playstation either. That’s the consequences of Sony’s strategy.
I do need a Nintendo console though. That’s the upside (for them) of Nintendo’s stricter exclusivity strategy.

Last edited:

GHG

I’m just able to see the consequences from my own actions. I don’t need a Xbox now. That’s the consequence of Microsoft’s strategy. And assuming I can deal with some delays (I’ll experiment for a year or two) I don’t need a Playstation either. That’s the consequences of Sony’s strategy.
I do need a Nintendo console though. That’s the upside of Nintendo’s stricter exclusivity strategy.

That's my point. You say you "don't need" a Playstation console but yet I've seen you complaining about them not doing day and date for their single player titles. If what you say were really true then you would have no reason to have any complaints and you wouldn't be sat there asking for them to also release all their titles on PC on the same day that they release on console.

If you've got the patience and you're comfortable with uncertainty (for example demons souls is still not on PC despite it being long past the delay window we've typically seen of late) then fine, but in that case you know what you're getting yourself in to and there should be no reason to complain or beg for ports.

In my view the best way to save yourself headache and angst is to react to what has actually happened, rather than to react to something you hope will happen. You're doing the latter when it comes to Playstation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Worth noting that ps5 hardware is on deep discount for Feb and March so far in UK and Europe but still an amazing performance.
In the UK xbox matched the febuary deals that playstation did. Although don't know if they discounted for the rest of europe as well like playstation.

And thats the thing.....when MS does deep discounts it barely moves the needle. Just looking at Amazon in the US the PS5 promotions cause them to jump way up the Best Seller list.

When you have deals, at times a really low price, and it doesnt help....what can you even do? The sales of the next gen Xbox might tell us everything.

It's really weird seeing so many people on here wishing for Xbox' death. And then what? Sony having their market to themselves is the worst-case scenario for everyone.
As long as Sony and MS make, publish games they will always be competing with each other.

Hi Fi Rush is out on PS5, SoT is high on the pre order chart. (its no longer #1 but that wasnt gonna last anyway). Or are you one of those ppl thinking Sony doesnt compete with 3rd parties putting games on PlayStation? One one hand 3rd parties dont compete with platform holders that make/publish games....and at the same time some 1st party games get delayed to get out the way of some mega hit.

Cant have it both ways..

....Helldivers 2 being such a massive hit has to have Sony happy to not rely only on 3rd parties right now for GaaS..... Yeah its one game, yeah its too soon but still.

You have some ppl speculating the next Xbox will be expensive, probably more expensive than the PS5 Pro. All speculation, but if that happens....how would MS struggling to sell consoles be the worse case scenario?

I do need a Nintendo console though. That’s the upside (for them) of Nintendo’s stricter exclusivity strategy.
Better hold on to an Xbox Series or PS5 if you wanna play GTA VI at launch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jm89

And thats the thing.....when MS does deep discounts it barely moves the needle. Just looking at Amazon in the US the PS5 promotions cause them to jump way up the Best Seller list.

When you have deals, at times a really low price, and it doesnt help....what can you even do? The sales of the next gen Xbox might tell us everything.
Yeah that's true.

Some estimates were putting ps5 and xbox series x ratio at 2:1 in the UK, with both having discounts.

This has to be alarming to MS, discounts not making a huge diffrence.

Fredrik

In my view the best way to save yourself headache and angst is to react to what has actually happened, rather than to react to something you hope will happen. You're doing the latter when it comes to Playstation.
I’m actually doing exactly that. My new PC in the living room is 100% a reaction to me ending up double dipping for years on Sony’s 1st party games and choosing PC versions on Xbox games. Without the ports during these last couple years I would never have that PC.
But now that I have it I obviously want ports faster. If that never happens then so be it.

Unknown?

Gotcha. Good question. I think the new hardware coming out will boost their sales. I'm also assuming that they'll have a price cut on all current inventory. Those Xmas sale prices will be permanent come this summer. And finally isn't COD supposed to be in Gamepass this year? I'm assuming that help the Xbox Series consoles.

But I think it's 6 million max! Could be as low as 5 million. So somewhere in between 5-6 million.
They lose way too much money as it is. I don't see a $100 permanent price cut.

I can assure you that they have not sold 28 million.
The data points to around 28 million, ampere estimated at just over 28 million. We also have NPD data that puts it at 13.5 million at the end of 2023 and from previous Xbox consoles we know the US accounts for close to 50% of global Xbox sales (only exception is the OG Xbox), so around 27 million sold which means 28 to 29 million shipped.

Xbox Hardware: US/ Global sales
Xbox One:
29m/58m, 50%
Xbox 360: 43.2m/85.8m, 50.3%
Xbox: 14.5m/24.5m, 59.2%

Last edited:
The data points to around 28 million, ampere estimated at just over 28 million. We also have NPD data that puts it at 13.5 million at the end of 2023 and from previous Xbox consoles we know the US accounts for close to 50% of global Xbox sales (only exception is the OG Xbox), so around 27 million sold which means 28 to 29 million shipped.

Xbox hardware: US/ Global sales
Xbox One: 29m/58m. 50%
Except they are losing even more strenght outside of america. They sold like 30k in...November last year in Europe while they were selling like 300 or 400k in the USA.
That 50% is not where they are at right now for sure.

Killjoy-NL

Xbox One:
29m/58m, 50%

Going by VGCharts, Series sold ~7.45M by the end of 2023 in Europe.

That would put them at <25M sales.

And sales are plummeting as well and it will only get worse.

Last edited:
Except they are losing even more strenght outside of america. They sold like 30k in...November last year in Europe while they were selling like 300 or 400k in the USA.
That 50% is not where they are at right now for sure.
Only recently has Europe started to tank with October being the first huge yoy monthly drop (52% if i recall), sales outside of the U.S may have been a bit above 50% up until late last year. Remember the first couple of years the XBS was doing relatively well outside the U.S, that cheap Series S was picking up sales even in Japan Where it outsold LTD XBO within a year.

Unknown?

Only recently has Europe started to tank with October being the first huge yoy monthly drop (52% if i recall), sales outside of the U.S may have been a bit above 50% up until late last year. Remember the first couple of years the XBS was doing relatively well outside the U.S, that cheap Series S was picking up sales even in Japan Where it outsold LTD XBO within a year.
2023 was its worst year yet everywhere. It may not have had devastatingly low numbers in Europe till October but it was still doing poorly.

Going by VGCharts, Series sold ~7.45M by the end of 2023 in Europe.

That would put them at <25M sales.

And sales are plummeting as well and it will only get worse.
What about "rest of the world " outside of U.S and Europe, Probably 1.5 million in Canada alone since Canada follows the same trends as the U.S but with a tenth of the population and then you have Africa/Asia, South America and Australia all chipping in with low sales but it all adds up.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

What about "rest of the world " outside of U.S and Europe, Probably 1.5 million in Canada alone since Canada follows the same trends as the U.S but with a tenth of the population and then you have Africa/Asia, South America and Australia all chipping in with low sales but it all adds up.
Then it's probably ~25M.

Or indeed <28M.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Xbox One:
29m/58m, 50%
Xbox Series sold 21 million consoles by June 2023, according to official data presented in Xbox @ID presentation in Brazil.

960x0.png

Xbox was around 18.5 million consoles by the end of 2022, according to Ampere.

That means it sold ~3.5 million consoles in the next 6 months, pacing to ~7 million consoles for the year 2023, at that point.

That's 0.58 million console sales per month, on average.

If we assume the 28 million figure is correct, then that means Xbox has sold 7 million consoles in the next 9 months. That's an average of 0.78 million consoles per month, or a 34% increase.

And we know that simply hasn't happened. In reality, instead of recording a 34% increase, console sales have actually dropped by more than 20%.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
*Poor leadership
Poor marketing or complete lack of

Unappealing content

Lack of impactful releases that spreads from the core to the casual market

Half hearted attitude to the hardware

Underwhelming and overhyped releases

Competition offering more appealing content to the consumer
Welp!

Woopah

Was just going to write it. Do we have another example of a company killing their brand due to incredible mistake at a strategic level and being forced to pivot so badly? Surely within a year Phil has to be replaced, seeing as his strategy killed the brand?
WII U and PS Vita were both bigger failures than Xbox Series, but their failures were offset by the manufacturers having other, more popular products in the marketplace.
The rumored delayed launch of the Switch 2 to 2025 leaves Sony with basically no competition this year. Sony must be pleased with this.
It's a big win for Sony. In a fiscal year with no big hitters from themselves, and not that many from third parties, they could have faced a new gen Nintendo machine with a strong first party output.

Instead, their strongest competition for most of the fiscal year will be a machine in its 8th year with seemingly no more heavy hitters for it (a Direct could change that potentially).

yurinka

Yes it will, especially with their GaaS game
Sony had several successful GaaS before such as Everquest, LBP, PS Home or GT Sports to name a few.

Sony and the rest of publishers are chasing GaaS because GaaS have the majority of the gaming userbase and their addons are currently the biggest and fastest growing revenue source for games, while the percent of the total game revenue from games sales decreases every year.

Sony announced the GaaS push in 2021, but they were working on it since several years before since several of these 12 Sony GaaS games were greenlighted in 2016-2019.

And no, MS wasn't any reference of GaaS back then: game publishers instead look at the most successful GaaS titles.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Yea, if they think releasing a console a year or so earlier than the PS6 is going to change things with things like they currently are, they are just stupid. But, seeing how they have run things into the ground after the 360, I can believe it to be their path.

I mean, Sony just has to announce right before MS launches that the more powerful PS6 will be coming out 12-16 months after the NeXbox, and it's dead in the water. Hell, it's practically already there the second they announced ports of their games coming to PS5 and Switch.

Pretty much like Sega and the Dreamcast. It was over the moment the PS2 got announced. I don't think there's anything MS can do at this point, the brand is just a walking corpse in most countries. Even in the US it's in sharp decline.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don’t wish it but I can see it happen. I just can’t see how they can climb out of the hole they are in right now. They’re terribly out of sync compared to everyone else. Hardware sales are dropping fast. No ”Pro” this year. Next gen console is years away. Not allowed to do exclusive COD. Their cloud service is still in beta and worse than other cloud services. Games are ported to other platforms. PC gaming is growing and can play Xbox games. There is a rumored Xbox handheld but I see no real market for that when there are Windows handhelds and Steam Deck. And Gamepass can be accessed on whatever device with Windows.
How will Xbox survive?

Last edited:
Worth noting that ps5 hardware is on deep discount for Feb and March so far in UK and Europe but still an amazing performance.

Yea I had to get a new PS5 since mine got destroyed in a freak accident. Had for almost a month and then spiderman 2 bundles went on sale for $50 less than I paid. I still haven't played Spiderman 2 either so I returned it and bought the deal at Best buy.

I don't want to see their death but I did want to see game pass fail. I don't want gaming to go in that direction so I was happy to see during the FTC trial that it had stalled for all of 2022. It was actually kind of weird how now one seemed to understand how big of a deal that is. To have a sub service pretty much not grow at all during a whole year is bad no matter what you're doing.

Neofire

Not at all. It was only logical. The only people who didn't see this coming were blinded by bias.

Microsoft can't spend 100-200 million on a game only for it to be "given" away for "free" on GamePass and limited to sales potential on Xbox Series. Even PC wasn't enough to save that model, especially with PC GamePass existing.

That is what was shortsighted. GamePass killed the Xbox brand because it made game sales untenable. This resulted in a lack of software sales, which resulted in a lack of software investment both 1st and 3rd party. This resulted in a lack of hardware sales.

Microsoft now has to recoup software development sales on PlayStation and Switch, but the lions hare of which is going to come from PlayStation.

Whatever plans Microsoft has for new hardware is going to be considerably more niche. High end, high margin devices, streaming devices, maybe a handheld... that's it.
PC will never save any model, it's a supplement to sales nothing more. MS was foolish to think otherwise and unfortunately for them their brand has been severely damaged.

Pelta88

Xbox One:
29m/58m, 50%

Historically this might have been true but every report, including those given by MS themselves in court proceedings and to regulators, showcase the rapid decline in every territory outside the US.

onQ123

Xbox sales are pathetic . Who would have thought they sold much worse than last generation's Xbox One? Rise your hand, please. The Xbox console brand is done and there is no coming back from this. Kill it and go full multiplatform day-one release on all consoles. It's the best and the only option available to MS. It's over and good riddance.

Their bet on Game Pass failed. After the demise of the Xbox console, Game pass is next without question. It's only a matter of time until MS pulls the plug on Game Pass.

Tsaki

XB|S is at 28 million now. No way their target is 35 million units sold. They'll be at 33 or 34 million sold by the end of 2024. Easily.
I doubt that they have 28M Series sold to consumers; maybe shipped. I think the most credible number we have at the moment is from Take2's Q3 report where they said what is the total next gen install base and from that, by subtracting Sony's official number, we got something like 25M (at most) Xbox consoles sold through by the end of 2023.
I think that they'll reach 40M sold (still a horrible number and a big drop from Xbox One) by the end of the gen but of course I base this on MS's own internal documents that have next gen planned for 2027/2028.
2026 is not happening and I'm frankly shocked how this date has got any traction and wanna know where it originated from.

qCwPrhU.jpg

Pelta88

XB|S is at 28 million now. No way their target is 35 million units sold. They'll be at 33 or 34 million sold by the end of 2024. Easily.

The stats that are publicaly available, I'd put that number closer to 23, max.

Another entry from a company/division looking to push the medium forward as opposed to empty PR promises coupled with terrible dev management.

Top Bottom