• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is creating a marketing problem for Xbox Series X that 12 TFLOPs can't fix, and PS5 / Switch are going to walk all over it

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

They want to use the Xbox One & PC as a crutch in case Xbox Series X don't sell enough to support the developers which is a smart move but Xbox Series X also need it's own identity outside of just having a new tower design.

When it's time for the commercials & Sony have people in ads faking like the touch sensors in the DualSense have changed their life Xbox Series X can't really counter that.

They want to use the Xbox One & PC as a crutch in case Xbox Series X don't sell enough to support the developers which is a smart move but Xbox Series X also need it's own identity outside of just having a new tower design.

When it's time for the commercials & Sony have people in ads faking like the touch sensors in the DualSense have changed their life Xbox Series X can't really counter that.

Not to be a dick but we still have a long ways to go with both of them. Plenty can happen right before launch.

CJY

Banned
They seem happy with their strategy, but I don't see how it benefits me as a core gamer. They seem to be more intent on chasing those 2 billion mobile gamers.

Next gen consoles is going to be a bloodbath. Introducing Lockhart will only make things worse for Xbox.

REDRZA MWS

Hilarious. Except Halo Infinite launching day and date, native 4k 60fps, with RT, and all major 3rd party games looking and/or performing better. Full BC with multiple generations, ridiculous value in Gamepass, and still the best online service with Xbox Live. Not to mention all the new studios and talent they have acquired over the last few years. Pretty sure MS will be fine. You don’t have to worry about them buddy.

1nzEICv.png

CJY

Banned
What do you mean "not much is changing"? I feel like the Xbox X has changed a lot when looking back at Xbox One. They just need to bring the games now.

And that's exactly where the jury is out. I'm sure Hellblade 2 will be good, but MS actually need about 5-7 new AAA titles to really make a dent after frustrating their userbase with titles like State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and Craskdown 3. It's just not happening for them this gen, but if they work dilligently, they could be a force next-next gen. Again, I doubt it. They are mostly focused on AA+ games.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I mean, you're kind of right. By design, there is no reason to get a Series X if you have a powerful PC, but at the same time, Microsoft seems to be more than OK with that.

I own a powerful PC. It’s even more incentive for me to get a Series X. Many of my games will be or already are “play anywhere”, so if I don’t want to play in my game room on my PC, I can play on my 77” OLED in my living room.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Really gonna boil down to games and value I imagine more than controllers.

But man this forum is obsessed with how popular these consoles are/aren't lol. Let MS worry about that, I doubt they'll sell so bad they won't get software support or something.. so what else as a gamer do you really care about? You want your favorite toy to get as many likes on Instagram as the other guy's favorite toy?

Starcheif

I can't see MS dropping the ball on games this coming gen! We will know that answer soon for sure. I would really like to know how things will evolve for online play this coming Gen.

Vawn

Banned
I think marketing has actually been MUCH better for Xbox than PS5 this time.

But marketing isn't enough to counteract the amount of good faith Sony has instilled over the last 25 years. People just believe that PS5 is where the games they want to play will be.

Until Xbox can consistently match that, a superior marketing plan ot PR spokesman won't be enough to turn the tide.

10 vs 12 TF really matters much less than people want to believe outside of console forum wars. The only way that will matter is it makes a HUGE difference in the quality of games that the average person will notice without being told specs (it won't).

I do believe, and hope, Xbox does a better job with games than they did the last ten or so years. I also think they might do enough differently from PS that the two can sit side by side and people want BOTH, kind of how Nintendo currently coexists alongside either a PS4 or an Xbox One.

stitch1

Oh the games are coming. But just like Sony they know it's still just a little too early to start announcing them. Doubly so in today's uncertainty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I own a powerful PC. It’s even more incentive for me to get a Series X. Many of my games will be or already are “play anywhere”, so if I don’t want to play in my game room on my PC, I can play on my 77” OLED in my living room.

I mean, that's just a result of how you chose to set up your house. You could play those games from your PC on that 77" OLED with an Xbox controller if you chose to do so.

I think very few people will choose to spend probably around $500 just for the ability to play games they can already play on a more powerful PC (assuming their PCs are more powerful).

I can't see MS dropping the ball on games this coming gen! We will know that answer soon for sure. I would really like to know how things will evolve for online play this coming Gen.

I believe they invested, and continue to invest, wisely in the first party studio front. They are planting seeds, it just takes time for them to bloom. It can't be fixed overnight. Gonna be a gen-long battle to bridge the games gap

REDRZA MWS

I mean, that's just a result of how you chose to set up your house. You could play those games from your PC on that 77" OLED with an Xbox controller if you chose to do so.

I think very few people will choose to spend probably around $500 just for the ability to play games they can already play on a more powerful PC (assuming their PCs are more powerful).

I definitely could play on my PC exclusively in my game room. But it’s not feasible to have my tower hooked up to my living room tv. when my wife wants to watch tv or if family or friends stay with me for a visit, I have options. If the big screen is free I’ll be enjoying 12TF, HDMI 2.1 goodness.

Starcheif

I believe they invested, and continue to invest, wisely in the first party studio front. They are planting seeds, it just takes time for them to bloom. It can't be fixed overnight. Gonna be a gen-long battle to bridge the games gap
It's just become so tuff finding FUN people to play with online that I hope MS/Sony develop a solution for helping fix this problem.

SoraNoKuni

Well that's true, XSX feels just like a better XBONE, while Sony tries and markets a lot of new stuff.
I think a lot of people will be dissapointed when they realize that TFLOPS equalsnot a better experience, and how little, people care outside of these forums.

Last edited:

Starcheif

IMO the UI in PlayStation has always been sleeker than the XBox’s. But I was talking about the service (Game Pass) not the UI.
Dang! I relay dislike Sony's UI and Controller (New PS Controller is PIMP) but I could care less in the end because I get these systems for the games.

MilkyJoe

This has really messed you up 😂

I’m no marketing person, but If imagine something like:

“Most powerful console in the world”
“Highlight wide range of games/large library available, even day one”
Followed by sizzle real if the best looking console games.

I think that would get them out of this “problem”.

You know what I like about the XsX controller? It works on the Xbox One. And Xbox One controllers work on the XsX.

That's all I care about.
You dont feel like this is cramping innovation? Dont get me wrong, the XOne controller is great but at one point we all though SNES controller was the end all be all.

Radical_3d

Dang! I relay dislike Sony's UI and Controller (New PS Controller is PIMP) but I could care less in the end because I get these systems for the games.
I can’t with Xbox’s UIs across the generations. First the blades, then the better one, then the tiled based that was ok but increased the amount of ads from “why am I seeing ads in my user interface if I already pay for the console, the games and the online?” to “where the hell is MY content?”; then there is the One UI that is something that I directly don’t understand: I just click on the face of master chef and pray that what I am booting is the game.

Anyways this is OT. My point is that the Game Pass is a serious marketing propeller.

CC-Tron

Neo Member

Why would it take a gen-long? We're not talking about Nintendo games that rely on gameplay. We're talking about high budget graphics, cinematic games with generic gameplay. That doesn't take a gen long to catch up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom