• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD Europe: PS5 4.68m; NSW 2.33m; X/S 0.88 m (Nov: PS5 1.21m; NSW 0.38m; X/S 0.18m)

Thirty7ven

Banned
I have a brilliant pc and xbox is far from irrelevant. It actually makes the consoles more relevant for me, but each to their own.

In my house I have 3 beastly gaming pcs. 2 xbox series x and 2 series s and a rog ally.

Xbox is the best eco system for me because I get play anywhere, instant cloud syncs etc.

Playing ganes persona 5 mobile anywhere I need to be in the house is amazing.

Like I say, each to their own.

The only thing you’re saying is you’re batshit insane, clearly addicted to gaming, and have an unhealthy obsession with a mediocre brand. To each their own indeed.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
On xbox I can literally move to any xbox or pc in my house and it just shows a quick pop up box saying syncing saves and then you are where you left off.

Even on my rog ally.

Seamless.

I have two ps5s and it always asks me if I want to use the save from the cloud or the local one which sometimes confuses me on if I may lose progress, but I can live with it.

Your last point about “cloud or local” is so dumb. Obviously you should always go with Cloud right? If you’re switching PS5s lol. What’s so confusing?

Last edited:
I have a brilliant pc and xbox is far from irrelevant. It actually makes the consoles more relevant for me, but each to their own.

In my house I have 3 beastly gaming pcs. 2 xbox series x and 2 series s and a rog ally.

Xbox is the best eco system for me because I get play anywhere, instant cloud syncs etc.

Where do you put your four PS5s?

fersnake

i had 2 xboxes in my life (OG xbox and 360) and it was great. because at the end im a gamer but always had been a playstation owner and nintendo of course but really the "best" thing to do is own a pc and a ps5 cuz with gamepass on pc and the xbox exclusives you are safe and if you add a handle like the rog ally or steam deck u dont need anything else. (didnt add the switch cuz we already have yuzu) unless its a switch 2.

Ronin_7

Banned

Seek help immediately.

You need to stay out of sales threads. You clearly can't handle them and they are not good for your mental state.

Bojji

I don’t understand this new narrative that’s forming that MS must start their next gen in order to start releasing good games.

They have a software issue. Nothing to do with the hardware. We have seen Sony turn the PS3 around and Nintendo the 3DS by releasing a stream of good games.

Abandoning the Series X would just cement the fact that MS aren’t in tune and don’t give a fuck about your investment.

Yeah, they don't have to launch new hardware in my opinion but they would have to relaunch current consoles. Put some great marketing, great games and MOST IMPORTANT THING change that dumb fuck name of the console to Xbox 5 or something (like there wasn't windows 9). I think that stupid naming scheme costed them milions of consoles (like Nintendo with Wii u).

But knowing MS they just won't do it, they will keep with this failure for years and use their massive warchest to keep things (somewhere) afloat.

Woopah

Xbox ending console production would have no real impact on anything.

- Xboxes are sold at loss, so no loss of profit there
- Xbox studios would go 3rd party and sell games on Playstation, increased profit for Xbox there
- Xbox studios would be competing on the same level as every other 3rd party (assuming they get their shit together and drop the "good enough for gamepass" mentality)
- Xbox without having to worry with hardware could increase focus on xcould/gamepass
- Sony would still be compelled to make the best consoles possible for the best price possible because consumers want to see generational leaps and pay as minimum as possible for it, and they still depend on sales so the product has to be attractive to consumers. Without Xbox competition they know they will need even more units and can get better deals for components, so it's a win-win for Sony and consumers.
- PlayStation Studios also need to compete with 3rd parties so they need to decide if the emotional woke walking simulator + GaaS is the right direction to continue going
"Emotional woke walking simultor" is a weird way of saying "single player action games"
Lttp... Is ps5 still on track for 25 million sales this year?
Probably not, but it was always a very ambitious target. I think 23 million and having the best hardware year in PS history is certainly possible.

Moses85

Gamepass, the
Holy Grail Win GIF

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

kaizenkko

Phil Spencer (little intern at Xbox, so clearly he has no idea what he's talking about) in 2020 :

“We have a plan and we feel very solid about it. I believe we have a plan that can win [the next generation.]"
“I feel good about the price we’re going to be able to get to. I feel good about the price and the performance capabilities that we have for Series X. I feel incredibly strong about the overall package.

But suuuuureee, they totally expected to get outsold 20:1 in Europe and 2:1 in the US (their strongest market).
200.gif
I didn't know about this interview. A very big contrast to the things that Phil have said in that interview after Redfall release.

John Wick

The problem with MS is that unlike Sony and Nintendo who earned their way to where they are now. Along the way they learned valuable lessons. Ms strategy is always to stifle, out spend and buy their way to success.
A company with MS riches should have been the company experimenting with VR and the like as they can afford it. Yet it's Sony leading.....
MS and Xbox deserve to be last. Buying up 3rd party publishers just to thwart their rivals is scum bag practise.

alstrike

This is not the flex you think it is...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The only thing you’re saying is you’re batshit insane, clearly addicted to gaming, and have an unhealthy obsession with a mediocre brand. To each their own indeed.

Hahaha, what? This is one hell of a wild take.

I have 4 kids and multiple rooms in my house.

Do people just move consoles to different rooms or have multiple consoles?

I'm confused 😆 🤣

StereoVsn

Yeah, nintendo is the only one of these companies that I truly hold dear....so ms has no support from me there. I don't think they will ever get the chance, or they better not I should say.

Well, there's not much I can do about it. Microsoft, out of the three are the only ones that have proven ok from a legacy, refund and online option for me.

To think that if I stopped paying for ps plus, which I have but it runs out next November, I will have to move my saves via USB between my consoles is just atrocious.

microsoft needs to incentivise people to buy the console but ultimately I can't do anything about it.
Actually with PS5 you CANT move saves through USB between consoles for PS5 games, which is even worse. You can “technically” backup the saves alongside whole games but that’s not something normal folks would do.

Personally for me the whole hubris out of MS just puts me off the them and I have had Xbox consoles since OG (not as primary but still).

The whole buying Nintendo and Steam as well as driving Sony out of business grinds me the wrong way. MS is enough of a problem dealing with them at Enterprise level for my work, and I don’t want they shit in my gaming hobby.

And I say that as someone who has been working with MS, sometimes for MS, for almost 30 years.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Same. I have given Xbox plenty of money over the years. After those email leaks, however, I haven't purchased anything from them - not for even a single dollar.

At some point, we gotta vote with our wallet against someone who is after the hobby we've loved since we were kids.
But it's seamless!

Vlodril

The problem with MS is that unlike Sony and Nintendo who earned their way to where they are now. Along the way they learned valuable lessons. Ms strategy is always to stifle, out spend and buy their way to success.
A company with MS riches should have been the company experimenting with VR and the like as they can afford it. Yet it's Sony leading.....
MS and Xbox deserve to be last. Buying up 3rd party publishers just to thwart their rivals is scum bag practise.

Agreed. Both Nintendo and Sony put their heads down when they weren't performing and just doubled down on getting good games out there and better machines. Ms just does not want to put in the effort and they keep trying to take shortcuts by using their "infinite" war chest but it just doesn't work that way. They keep trying the same thing when all the previous times it hasn't worked so you know insert the definition of insanity quote here.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No but I find it insulting that your calling me illiterate.

These type of threads are affecting you in a bad way. You really should stop posting in them if the subject bothers you so much.

Not my intention at all. I just thought it might be something lost in translation.

I'm totally fine. This thread bothers me as much as a fart in the wind. I was confused by why you think I'm bothered. What was it I said that gave you the false impression?

I didn't expect a post that highlighted the various platforms and thie numbers in my house would make people come to a strange assumption about me.

Overall, what about my post made people change from discussing rhe point to about me personally. I lt was very strange.

Last edited:
Not my intention at all. I just thought it might be something lost in translation.

I'm totally fine. This thread bothers me as much as a fart in the wind. I was confused by why you think I'm bothered. What was it I said that gave you the false impression?

I didn't expect a post that highlighted the various platforms and thie numbers in my house would make people come to a strange assumption about me.

Overall, what about my post made people change from discussing rhe point to about me personally. I lt was very strange.

To he fair people make assumptions about you based on other things. Like your behavior in other types of threads for example. Then there was that thread that earned you your tag.

Like I said if these threads bother you so much don't post in them. It isn't healthy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
To he fair people make assumptions about you based on other things. Like your behavior in other types of threads for example. Then there was that thread that earned you your tag.

Like I said if these threads bother you so much don't post in them. It isn't healthy.

Honestly, all good man. Don't worry about me. 😀

Sales of a console have never bothered me. I enjoyed my wii u. Loved the dreamcast.

If people can't enjoy a machine because of the sales its received. That's someone who needs to seek help. Or say, if someone feels compelled to enjoy a machine because it has sold more. That is also, massively unhealthy.

Take the steam deck or quest 3 headset. Or psvr 2 headset. These are lower selling devices, does it mean that asgard wrath 2 isn't good, or half life alyx etc.

Just enjoy the games.

I just made a comment to highlight how someone like myself who moves around multiple devices, and also a work laptop can enjoy a eco system that allows this in a more streamlined way.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Your last point about “cloud or local” is so dumb. Obviously you should always go with Cloud right? If you’re switching PS5s lol. What’s so confusing?

Yeah but what happens here quite a lot with ps5, is it states the last save aasnt uploaded properly etc and then I get concerned that if I accidentally click local, will that then override my cloud save and lose my progress. Its just not that clean.

NEbeast

- Xbox studios would go 3rd party and sell games on Playstation, increased profit for Xbox there
- Xbox studios would be competing on the same level as every other 3rd party (assuming they get their shit together and drop the "good enough for gamepass" mentality)
- Xbox without having to worry with hardware could increase focus on xcould/gamepass
- Sony would still be compelled to make the best consoles possible for the best price possible because consumers want to see generational leaps and pay as minimum as possible for it, and they still depend on sales so the product has to be attractive to consumers. Without Xbox competition they know they will need even more units and can get better deals for components, so it's a win-win for Sony and consumers.
- PlayStation Studios also need to compete with 3rd parties so they need to decide if the emotional woke walking simulator + GaaS is the right direction to continue going
why would I even try to reply when half of what you wrote is absolute bollocks. Then we have the bolded.
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Unknown?

None of that is a feature only on Xbox.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I know MS expected some loss of consoles sales because of their strategy but there’s no way they expected it to be this bad.
At this point the answer scare me a little. Did Xbox knew, and told something else to MS? Did they knew, told MS and got ordered to do it anyway? Or did they really believe in their strategy, and are simply as surprised as us? This is why I am so curious about the market answer when/if there is a PS5 Pro and no equivalent from Xbox. They can hide their sales numbers, hide Gamepass numbers. They can hide they games sales. Say that the Series X is the best console, and that the Series S is the best value one. But the Pro will change all of that. No more Series X is a monster. The Pro will be the best place to play some games, no doubt. How long will that be may change, but probably at least one year. The PS5 will probably get cheaper as a result, because that make sense. How low will Xbox have to make the Series S to still be worth it? When we know that they loose money at current prices? Games should be the answer, but there is not huge tentpole on the horizon from them.

X-Wing

I agree with you. Also this idea that Xbox pushes PlayStation to be better is idiotic. Xbox hasn't offered any real competition since the middle of the 360 generation.

Crayon

At this point the answer scare me a little. Did Xbox knew, and told something else to MS? Did they knew, told MS and got ordered to do it anyway? Or did they really believe in their strategy, and are simply as surprised as us?

I have been thinking about similar questions. Especially this one. Not that I know it's true but because it's the most salacious.

- - Did Xbox know, and told something else to MS? - -

This is my favorite one, of course. In this scenario, Phil's been under a lot of stress for years now, and it makes work more difficult. Judgement can slip, and emotions can affect decision making. It's not hard to imagine the guy who wrote those emails could get their perspective a little skewed. He does all these interviews and if you listen to them, it won't be that long before hearing something that can be directly contradicted by what came out in the trial.

What if he is telling people inside ms that they have this vision to turn xbox into the biggest gaming outfit ever with the cloud. Did you hear that, Satya? Cloud. Uncle Satya likes the Cloud. So Phil claims this is this multi-tier plan that includes the console along with pc and other things, and it's going to pivot away from hardware eventually. They won't need to sell xboxs. But the problem is, in Phil's heart of hearts, he wants to win all the wars. Valve. Nintendo. And especially sony. They'll pay for dreamcast. Them and all their stinky little ponies. So he lets his "passion for games" affect his work, including what to say and how to say it.

So maybe, when there are discussions at MS about the road map for pivoting away from console, Phil has a tendency to overstate the case of the console in the current meta. And maybe with all that time he spends talking on twitter engaging with fans colored the internal conversations about how another generation of xbox was going to do. And phil is primed to be way overly optimistic and maybe even tell some half-truths about how good they were poised to do with console sales. And you know that's really important for our cloud strategy because blah blah insert justifications here. When really, he should have known the best thing would have been to pivot away from high volume consoles sooner than later. Especially with the bgs and abk purchases.

Anyway, doesn't mean it happened but it's fun to think about because it's a very human story, yet possible. "One man's hubris brings down and empire". Very dramatic, ha.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Anyway, doesn't mean it happened but it's fun to think about because it's a very human story, yet possible. "One man's hubris brings down and empire". Very dramatic, ha.
And the fact that his predecessor did the same with the Kinect would make this even more damning. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". A modern day tragedy.
I have to admit that twilo99 twilo99 may have a point. We are really taking pleasure out of Xbox impending doom. I hope that next month is different. Before this year E3, we got a lot of Xbox is doomed threads. I think that this trend will come back soon.

Top Bottom