• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindustry.biz: PS5 had a 43% share of all console sales over the last 12 months (Nov 2022 to Oct 2023), but risen to 50% in the last 6 months

Alex Scott

The global market growth on consoles is driven by PlayStation 5, which has grown exponentially over 2022. This is because PS5 was largely missing from store shelves due to severe stock shortages last year (although the US market appeared to fare better than others). PS5 is delivering record-breaking numbers right now, but that is partially due to pent up demand caused by a lack of availability in 2022.

The success of the Switch is impressive, but the growth is mostly localised in Japan and other export territories. In the US, Switch sales have dropped 21% this year, while sales have slipped 7% across Europe.

As for Xbox, it's been a tough year for Microsoft's platform as it's declined in sales during its third year on sale in most major markets.
According to GfK, in the UK PS5 had a 43% share of all console sales over the last 12 months (November 2022 to October 2023), but over the last six months (May 2023 to October 2023) that has risen to 51%.

"Recent PS5 highlights coming from unrestricted sales on the standard PS5 hardware model, aggressive price promotions in July and August, and the recent EA Sports FC 24 bundle," explains GfK games boss Dorian Bloch.

"Over the same measures the Xbox Series consoles have dropped from 26% market share over the last 12 months to 23% over the last 6 months, but the biggest decline has been Switch, down from 34% to 25%."
Faust Faust or Mod of War Mod of War , can you fix the spelling mistake in the beginning and add "in the" after 50%? Thanks

Also, I found this bit interesting
"However, the entertainment sector should take heed of overall economic uncertainty. GfK recently revealed that the consumer confidence index fell by nine points in Oct23 to -30 and that the major purchase index fell 14 points to -34 in the run-up to the festive season.

"The sharp falls remind us that the cost-of-living crisis exerts acute pressure on many consumers: heating homes, filling petrol tanks, surging mortgage and rents and a slowing jobs market, coupled with a new conflict in the Middle East, all contribute to growing unease.

"Not having enough money to make ends meet means juggling expensive gifts during the festive season – many consumers will look at major purchases carefully – consoles qualify – and whilst it may seem that entertainment is a priority, 48% of respondents in Oct 2023 said that they were either just managing, using their savings or running in to debt. We also saw that 39% of respondents in said that they felt their household’s financial position will worsen over the next 12 months."

Last edited:

Skifi28

TJ6QUD7.gif

MrTired

Expect that PS5 share to explode this quarter. It be interesting to see whether the Xbox Series's can match last year performance.

Beast mode engaged for PS5.

For Xbox....this is including Starfield launching. My god....
Yes but it has more than 10 million “players”.

Great Success Win GIF

More seriously, these numbers show doom and gloom for Xbox and it’s not surprising at all with how Phil runs the show. It will only get worse and buying way too expensive publishers with portfolios of games that have had their best time only accelerates things.

Seems that you actually do need great games to sell consoles, who would’ve thought?

Only positive result of all this stuff for ms could be to just drop the console wars and go gamepass only and release on all consoles and platforms. (Personally I think it won’t be a great success because Gamepass became much worse over the years imho.)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Beast mode engaged for PS5.

For Xbox....this is including Starfield launching. My god....

Starfield got released, it shone brightly for two weeks and now its already mostly forgotten. It didn't make a dent in changing the Xbox' fortune for MS and sales must have been disappointing too compared to what Elder Scrolls or Fallout games did in the past. I don't see Starfield getting a sequel.

Hip Hop

Should Xbox start making moves and start porting everything over to playstation?

Might aswell start early, no point delaying the inevitable.
I think that's their goal with Gamepass.

It's their exit out of the console business and straight into a streaming service.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Starfield was so disappointing that people on the fence lost all hope on Xbox and decided to buy a PS5 instead
I don't that's it. With the 360 they had the best console of that gen. People lost faith including me when they announced, the Xbone. Most of us got a PS4 instead and with the majority of game sales being digital, our games are on the PS ecosystem.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

If PS5 get a 60% (or more) market share, whats MS will do? MS can't get that number of gamepass subscribers if the console market share don't improve.

Three

Looking very far out here, but I do wonder how many PS5 units GTA 6 will be able to push.
I have a feeling MS have bought marketing rights for it which is why we're getting a marketing announcement near black friday for a game that's potentially more than a year away. It's very likely tied to one of the consoles (or GP).

Last edited:
Should Xbox start making moves and start porting everything over to playstation?

Might aswell start early, no point delaying the inevitable.

I really don't see why they shoudn't at least put Bethesda and all applicable ABK games on the system. Taking a $700,000,000 hit by not putting Starfield on PlayStation is ultimately foolish.

The market has decided again and again that PlayStation is their chosen platform. Microsoft now have a lot of IP and studio talent that can earn better money by being multiplat.

I personally think PlayStation would take a trimmed down Gamepass if it meant Xbox didn't make hardware. They'd both stand to make a lot more money.

By getting the consistently large PS userbase on their sub, PC and Mobile, while also selling games on those systems they'll be able to make the finances work.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't that's it. With the 360 they had the best console of that gen. People lost faith including me when they announced, the Xbone. Most of us got a PS4 instead and with the majority of game sales being digital, our games are on the PS ecosystem.

The rot started before Xbox One. MS believed they didn't have to invest in expanding first party releases since they got sales juggernauts like Halo, Gears of War, Forza and Fable. Since they'd already the hard core gamers' market cornered with those titles, they wanted to go after the Wii's audience with Kinect. That's where everything broke down. Xbox One TV! TV! TV! came out of that misguided amition to create a product for non-gamers.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Very interesting insights:
  • Xbox had a 43% share of all consoles over the last 12 months, which has risen to 51%.
  • On the other hand, Xbox dropped market share from 26% to 23%.
  • And finally, Xbox's market share dropped from 34% to 25%.
I think it's fair to say that Xbox has been dominating this console generation, while Xbox's market share continues to dwindle. Amidst all that, Xbox continues to perform quite well even in its 7th year on the market.

Animated GIF

GHG

Very interesting insights:
  • Xbox had a 43% share of all consoles over the last 12 months, which has risen to 51%.
  • On the other hand, Xbox dropped market share from 26% to 23%.
  • And finally, Xbox's market share dropped from 34% to 25%.
I think it's fair to say that Xbox has been dominating this console generation, while Xbox's market share continues to dwindle. Amidst all that, Xbox continues to perform quite well even in its 7th year on the market.

Animated GIF

To add to that, millions of xbox handheld consoles have been sold since February 2022.

Great success all round.

Winning The Office GIF

MS should hate-buy Valve, just pay $20bn for em.

Nope, Valve was big reason why MS was able to buy Activision-Blizzard. And is big reason for their good guy image.

They encourage competition on their own platform that has resulted in win for consumers.

They can become like Valve / PlayStation whenever they want. That would be shortsighted and waste for a trillion dollar company though.

Killjoy-NL

Yes but it has more than 10 million “players”.

Great Success Win GIF

More seriously, these numbers show doom and gloom for Xbox and it’s not surprising at all with how Phil runs the show. It will only get worse and buying way too expensive publishers with portfolios of games that have had their best time only accelerates things.

Seems that you actually do need great games to sell consoles, who would’ve thought?

Only positive result of all this stuff for ms could be to just drop the console wars and go gamepass only and release on all consoles and platforms. (Personally I think it won’t be a great success because Gamepass became much worse over the years imho.)
Phil Spencer never implied that games don't sell hardware, he said that in the current situation it isn't about games anymore, it's about even trying to stay relevant.

Games won't change a thing. Starfield and Forza proved exactly his point and nothing would've changed even if both were 11/10 games.

Xbox is dying. It's a fact.

All the FUD surrounding Sony was to obfuscate this simple reality: Sony is having one of the best years in its history while Microsoft is having one of the worst.

And people will continue to obfuscate the truth, which is that next year is going to be even more disparate than this year if nothing changes, but we're likely to get change, largely in the PS5 Pro and perhaps in the release of GTA6.

Unless Microsoft can get some exclusivity out of GTA6, I don't imagine we'll be discussing Xbox much in 2025.

HL3.exe

Not sure why a decline is celebrated. Competition is always good for the consumer, not just one platform leaping ahead.

I'm a PC gamer myself, don't really care about locked off platforms. But as a example: just Xbox PC policy alone (and the uptick in PC sales) made Sony shift their output to produce PC ports as well, which is a smart choice with no downsides and a great thing all around for platform agnostic consumers.

I repeat: Healthy competition is good for everyone.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

All the FUD surrounding Sony was to obfuscate this simple reality: Sony is having one of the best years in its history while Microsoft is having one of the worst.

And people will continue to obfuscate the truth, which is that next year is going to be even more disparate than this year if nothing changes, but we're likely to get change, largely in the PS5 Pro and perhaps in the release of GTA6.

Unless Microsoft can get some exclusivity out of GTA6, I don't imagine we'll be discussing Xbox much in 2025.
PS5 Pro and marketing rights for GTA VI is everything Sony needs for 2024. But that's sad.

ulantan

Not sure why a decline is celebrated. Competition is always good for the consumer, not just one platform leaping ahead.

I'm a PC gamer myself, don't really care about locked off platforms. But as a example: just Xbox PC policy alone (and the uptick in PC sales) made Sony shift their output to produce PC ports as well, which is a smart choice with no downsides and a great thing all around for platform agnostic consumers.

We have been waiting for Microsoft to compete for almost a decade.

Varteras

Gold Member
Not sure why It's celebrated. Competition is always good for the consumer, not just one platform leaping ahead.

A lot of people want Microsoft relegated to as small a marketshare as possible. Largely because they are a massive corporation with a history of monopolistic practices. In other words, they fear Microsoft's ability to remove that healthy competition through sheer financial brute force.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Instead of asking them to get their shit together and release some games that will have a meaningful impact on their sales and stature in the market you beg for more acquisitions.

When The Clown Shoe Fits GIF by GIPHY News

season 3 dance GIF by Portlandia
I'm just shocked ppl weren't begging for acquisitions from Sony when the PS3 was struggling against the 360. Or when the Vita was out.

Nintendo and Sony, when they had issues, just put their heads down and focused on making games, good games. Thats how you right the ship.

Some ppl still dont see the problem with begging for acquisitions. I have a feeling life is gonna come at some ppl fast in the next 10-15 years.

Healthy being the key word. Two of the three companies bring that.
Thank you.

Like its been stated numerous times....what we are seeing are the effects of competition. Competitions doesnt mean everyone gets an equal share. Want better results? It has to be earned, not given.

This reminds me of last gen when articles about consoles dying were coming in hot...all because the Wii U flopped. Enter the Switch....and now its healthy again.

Nevermind the PS4 and XBO were doing fine. Eventually the XBO fell off but still.

Top Bottom