• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

Terrell

RiskyChris said:
Is DQS supply constrained?

=/

Still, getting nearly 10% attach rate on Wii in one week is really impressive.
No, not supply constrained, I just think a lot of Japanese people had more important things to be concerned about, considering a major chunk of their population doesn't have a home right now due to massive flooding.

mj1108

laserbeam said:
Who are you and what have you done with the real mj1108? Everyone knows we dont play games anymore. Nintendo Killed gaming. we just talk about sales and whine now a days

Good point.

I blame WiiFit for the NPD delay -- since it seems like we're not blaming WiiFit for everything.

Brofist

My gut feeling tells me that RE:UC wont be the last Resident Evil to appear on the Wii. It may not be part 5, but I think the Wii will get another original RE game down the road.

Brofist

ethelred said:
People aren't genuinely discussing why a game should or should not be on a specific console; they're just wanting most every high profile game on their console and pretending to be shareholders casting proxies as a smokescreen for why said lusting should be vocalized.

I don't think this can possibly be worded any better.

Lightning

Banned
lol. Am I not allowed to discuss Resident Evil because I am a Final Fantasy fan?

All I was trying to say is that Resident Evil 5 will sell poorly in Japan and putting the game on the Wii won't make a significant difference.

I am a Resident Evil fan as well and own all the main games and closely follow the series. I hate RE4, but that's another issue.

Anyway, this is rather pointless now. Capcom have already stated they are only releasing the game on the 360/PS3 so unless they change their mind, we will just wait and see.

cvxfreak

kpop100 said:
My gut feeling tells me that RE:UC wont be the last Resident Evil to appear on the Wii. It may not be part 5, but I think the Wii will get another original RE game down the road.

The weird part is that the PS2 didn't get one single original Biohazard release that wasn't a port or sidestory.

We know well enough how a Biohazard game will do on a low-selling platform. We have the GameCube to look at for that.

But if the Wii received its equivalent of CODE: Veronica, it would tell us how an original, true Biohazard on the top selling system would do...

Lightning said:
All I was trying to say is that Resident Evil 5 will sell poorly in Japan and putting the game on the Wii won't make a significant difference.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you've misread the argument at hand. No one is saying RE5 on Wii instead of PS3/360, people are saying RE5 on Wii in addition to PS3/360. Which would definitely help sales as BHCVC and BH4 on PS2 proved.

AniHawk

kpop100 said:

Hopefully it's more like RE4/5 than that UC piece of shit. I really hope UC goes to the bargain bins and that RE4: Wii does better than expected so Capcom gets the message.

Lightning

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you've misread the argument at hand. No one is saying RE5 on Wii instead of PS3/360, people are saying RE5 on Wii in addition to PS3/360. Which would definitely help sales as BHCVC and BH4 on PS2 proved.
In that case, I apologize because I mis-read the argument.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AniHawk said:
I really hope UC goes to the bargain bins and that RE4: Wii does better than expected so Capcom gets the message.

Knowing Capcom they'll misinterpret the message though.

"Hey guys! Wii gamers like ports! Let's re-release all the other Resident Evil games again!"

Brofist

AniHawk said:
Hopefully it's more like RE4/5 than that UC piece of shit. I really hope UC goes to the bargain bins and that RE4: Wii does better than expected so Capcom gets the message.

yeah that would be ideal of course. 

laserbeam

Banned
ZealousD said:
Knowing Capcom they'll misinterpret the message though.

"Hey guys! Wii gamers like ports! Let's re-release all the other Resident Evil games again!"

that would be superb if they redid them in RE4 style. Thats the sad thing. Capcom openly admitted RE: UC was a RE4 style game but it was deemed to difficult so they lightgunned it

Vinnk

Terrell said:
No, not supply constrained, I just think a lot of Japanese people had more important things to be concerned about, considering a major chunk of their population doesn't have a home right now due to massive flooding.

It is indeed tragic and I don't want to downplay what is definately a serious and terrible event, but from a sales perspective it should have noting more than statistical noise on softaware sales. Niigata prefecture make up less than 2% of the Japanese population and only part of Niigata was affected. Also the quake and flooding happened after this MC sales period.

rakka

laserbeam said:
Capcom openly admitted RE: US was a RE4 style game but it was deemed to difficult so they lightgunned it

Because apparently Wii users like easiness.

God I hope RE4 does well in comparison to UC.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Lightning said:
lAll I was trying to say is that Resident Evil 5 will sell poorly in Japan and putting the game on the Wii won't make a significant difference.
I respectfully disagree. By the time BH5 comes out, the userbase difference will be pretty significant, and will most definitely affect software sales. Just look at BH4. It came out on the PS2 months later and still outsold the GC version. You know why? Userbase allowed it.

ZealousD

rakka said:
Because apparently Wii users like easiness.

God I hope RE4 does well in comparison to UC.

RE4 is doing very well right now. I know that this is merely anecdotal evidence but the GameStop where I work is in constant flux when it comes to its stock. Sometimes we have it in stock, sometimes we don't. It's been like this ever since it came out.

rakka

ZealousD said:
RE4 is doing very well right now. I know that this is merely anecdotal evidence but the GameStop where I work is in constant flux when it comes to its stock. Sometimes we have it in stock, sometimes we don't. It's been like this ever since it came out.

Very glad to hear this.

Any chance of being in the June NPD Top 10?

AniHawk

ZealousD said:

How many copies did you guys get? I know our store's constantly out of stock, and we had 15 preorders and maybe around 20-24 games for launch day.

I'd have to agree with lightning that RE5 would not be helpful if they released it on Wii or not.

First off it'd get a bad rep on the PS3 and 360, already losing Capcom money. Then they'd spend more money to find a way to get it on the Wii, which would not sell that well and there goes more money...

It's bad business imo.

And with these MC sales numbers for DQSwords, my prediction is not to far off :D
Although I don't know if I should be smiling about that ...

cvxfreak

A Day at Capcom:

Capcom dude #1: *sees RE4 Wii NPD sales* "Quick! We need more Biohazard on Wii ASAP! What else can we bring to the Wii?"

Capcom dude #2: "A proper sequel."

Capcom dude #1: "No, no, no. That would be too much effort! Those fvckers at the RE5 team are tied up until 2009!"

Capcom dude #2: "How about a port?"

Capcom dude #1: "Muy caliente!"

Capcom dude #2: "Let's port Biohazard remake... oh wait. The assets are with the Umbrella Chronicles right now."

Capcom dude #1: "=("

Capcom dude #2: "How about Biohazard 0... oh crap. The UC team has those too!"

Capcom dude #1: "...How about those Outbreak games?"

Capcom dude #2: "Sorry, their assets were taken too once we told the team to hurry the fvck up with the 2007 release date!"

Capcom dude #1: "Well shit."

Capcom dude #2: "Let's port Gun Survivor 4! Nintendo fanboys will consider it an adequate substitute for RE5 as long as it uses the Wii Zapper, AND it'll take like two weeks tops."

Capcom dude #1: :D

ZealousD

rakka said:
Very glad to hear this.

I'd say there's a good chance. Didn't the Canadian numbers put it at number 7?

AniHawk said:
How many copies did you guys get? I know our store's constantly out of stock, and we had 15 preorders and maybe around 20-24 games for launch day.

I couldn't tell you exact numbers. I'm only a part timer so I only get about 15 hours per week. I didn't work the day it launched and I'm usually not there when shipments come in. But if I had to hazard a guess we probably get about 6 in per week. To put that in perspective, we get 3-6 Wiis per week.

Oblivion said:
Wait, so RE: UC is shit? I haven't been keeping tabs on it.

Apparently the cursor is way too shaky and zombies barely wince when you shoot them. So it's basically lacking in control and viscerality.

rakka said:
Very glad to hear this.

But aren't the NPD software Top10 ranked by revenue? With RE4 being a budget game it really has to sell a whole load of copies to have a strong showing.

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Wait, so RE: UC is shit? I haven't been keeping tabs on it.

Yeah, pretty much. It's in the same category of Red Steel where some people keep thinking it'll be one of THE good games for the Wii this holiday.

I'm reserving that specific spot for NiGHTS, myself. Besides, I'll give Capcom money for Zack & Wiki.

fernoca

Phife Dawg said:
But aren't the NPD software Top10 ranked by revenue? With RE4 being a budget game it really has to sell a whole load of copies to have a strong showing.
Therea re two lists, at least 2 released to this forum:
One based on revenue and one based on sales.

cvxfreak said:
Capcom dude #2: "Let's port Gun Survivor 4! Nintendo fanboys will consider it an adequate substitute for RE5 as long as it uses the Wii Zapper, AND it'll take like two weeks tops."

If they remade Dead Aim and made it a 15 hour game, I could live with it.

neoxavean

Banned
cvxfreak said:
A Day at Capcom:

Capcom dude #1: *sees RE4 Wii NPD sales* "Quick! We need more Biohazard on Wii ASAP! What else can we bring to the Wii?"

Capcom dude #2: "A proper sequel."

Capcom dude #1: "No, no, no. That would be too much effort! Those fvckers at the RE5 team are tied up until 2009!"

Capcom dude #2: "How about a port?"

Capcom dude #1: "Muy caliente!"

Capcom dude #2: "Let's port Biohazard remake... oh wait. The assets are with the Umbrella Chronicles right now."

Capcom dude #1: "=("

Capcom dude #2: "How about Biohazard 0... oh crap. The UC team has those too!"

Capcom dude #1: "...How about those Outbreak games?"

Capcom dude #2: "Sorry, their assets were taken too once we told the team to hurry the fvck up with the 2007 release date!"

Capcom dude #1: "Well shit."

Wow what a waste of time!

AniHawk said:
Yeah, pretty much. It's in the same category of Red Steel where some people keep thinking it'll be one of THE good games for the Wii this holiday.

I'm reserving that specific spot for NiGHTS, myself. Besides, I'll give Capcom money for Zack & Wiki.
Did anyone get to play the RE0 and 1 sections, or was the E3 demo just the Outbreak-on-rails portion?

How can anyone argue that a game will sell the same no matter what platform it's on?

It's madness.

Tip of the hat to the admins/mods for letting some new users in. It should make the MC threads interesting for a few weeks at least.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn, that sucks to hear. I would expect this sorta thing from Namco, but Capcom making a BAD game?

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
A Day at Capcom:
snipped

That was and probably still is exactly what's being discussed in many boardrooms today. But there's been a definite shift ln focus in the past few months from quick ports to full fledged original content. It doesn't guarantee numbered sequels will show up, but there's certainly a stronger focus on games built from the ground up for Wii.

Ports are cheap to do but sales potential are generally more limited. Original titles for Wii however also cost much less than the alternative. It's not like they have to bend over backwards to do them. It's a natural evolution of a publisher's decision making after they get their feet wet.

CANLI

It's a bit off topic but I can't wait for Taiko no Tatsujin DS (release on 26th july).
This game will be awesome.
I played the arcade in Japan and I fell in love. I hope it will sell >50k on first week!

ethelred said:
I have no idea why we're comparing DQS to FFCC; they're not comparable games at all.
Action spinoffs of the two big S-E RPG franchises for Nintendo home consoles. I think that's at least as close as comparing DQS to, say, a Game Boy monster breeding spinoff.
Cheesemeister said:
Why do I even bother gathering links? =P
Links are great and all, but Japanese sites full of text in flash or images most of us can't even try to read through Babelfish.

justchris

I don't know what's more impressive, total Nintendomination, or someone actually trying to argue Biohazard Japanese sales with cvxfreak.

No, wait, yes I do, Nintendomination is passè now. Arguing about Biohazard is new and sparkly. :lol

Deku said:
That was and probably still is exactly what's being discussed in many boardrooms today. But there's been a definite shift ln focus in the past few months from quick ports to full fledged original content. It doesn't guarantee numbered sequels will show up, but there's certainly a stronger focus on games built from the ground up for Wii.

Ports are cheap to do but sales potential are generally more limited. Original titles for Wii however also cost much less than the alternative. It's not like they have to bend over backwards to do them. It's a natural evolution of a publisher's decision making after they get their feet wet.

People at GAF told me that 3rd parties would obviously always choose the shitty game route since that's how they make money.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
Action spinoffs of the two big S-E RPG franchises for Nintendo home consoles. I think that's at least as close as comparing DQS to, say, a Game Boy monster breeding spinoff.

I don't agree at all. The Final Fantasy franchise is nothing like the DQ franchise -- the only thing these two games have in common is that they're on Nintendo systems. Big whoop.

But it's a moot point anyway since DQS is still much higher.

ethelred said:
People aren't genuinely discussing why a game should or should not be on a specific console; they're just wanting most every high profile game on their console and pretending to be shareholders casting proxies as a smokescreen for why said lusting should be vocalized.

This is bullshit. I have no desire to see FFXIII on any console in particular, as the game holds no interest to me. That doesn't mean that I find the discussion of its importance to Japan absolutely intriguing combined with discourse over what its exclusivity would mean to Sony.

Edit: I use FFXIII as an example only. There are many games that fit into that mold.

Deku

Banned
FF:CC came out fairly late into the GameCube's life (Aug 2003) DQ:S is essentially a launch window game (ok perhaps barely out the window but it's in that area) it's not comparable for that reason alone.

The trajectories of the host platforms are very different comparatively speaking and the former was part of a larger publishing deal, mainly S-E's desire to get their games out on the GBA. DQ:S was a voluntary title heavily supported by S-E's internal marketing efforts.

Ethelred has the right idea, as his comparisons at least have a common denominator (DraQue spinoffs). But it's all moot. DQ:S outperformed FF:CC and the Wii is barely seven months old in Japan. So who wants to compare GC userbase at FF:CC's release to Wii userbase numbers at DQ:S release. Maybe that will drive the point home even further.

Deku said:
FF:CC came out fairly late into the GameCube's life (Aug 2003) DQ:S is essentially a launch window game (ok perhaps barely out the window but it's in that area) it's not comparable for that reason alone.
Second summer at 2.5M userbase for one, first summer at 3.0M userbase for the other.

Deku

Banned
Thanks Joshua. I had edited my post asking for someone to do HW LTD comparisons but you've done it for me.

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
So Zelda only dropped 5k compared to last week. This will probably have legs as long as Mario Kart.

I hust hope it passes the million and I'll happy. At least this game has confirmed that the Zelda's series will not die. I was seriously worried after Twilight Princess.

Top Bottom