• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #126 - "Reunited"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Reunited"

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, 9 August, by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, 10 August, and goes until Monday, 12 August at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Flash Forward/Flash Back

Give us some active back story, a glimpse into the future, or both.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

GRW810

Fantastic theme. The secondary objective is REALLY going to depend on how well writers implement it.

Another word count on the hefty side. If we get a dozen and a half entries again...

Cyan

Banned
Fuck yea!

Mike M's writing time starts now!

Everyone else's starts in a week and a half!

Another word count on the hefty side. If we get a dozen and a half entries again...

As they say in bizspeak, it's a good problem to have. ;)

Hey guys, I'm a Creative Writing Uni student going into my third year in September. I need some writing practice as I'm pretty much on the line between a first and a 2:1 at the moment and obviously I want to do all I can to push for the first. I was trying to make a start on my dissertation (I have a plot but not much else) but that seems to be going nowhere, and then I saw this thread.

So I figured I'd give one of these a try instead! Can anyone link a fine example of the quality of work Gaffers output in these competitions? I'm sure some of them are amazing (much better than I could ever hope to achieve!
p0QHO.gif
) but I'd love to take a look at what I'd be up against. I'm obviously not expecting to win, but anything that can help me achieve a first next year is welcome!

Cyan

Banned
I'll give it a read after dinner. Thanks.

Another question: are you more likely to win if you include the secondary objective?

It's optional!

Really, it depends on the person voting. It's not that easy to game the vote, since people use different methods. Things I've heard used as voting criteria in the past include: favorite story, best prose, the person who did the best relative to their usual level, best use of theme.

I tend to go for a mix between most entertaining and best prose. (edit: though I should probably add that this isn't a conscious process :p)

Ashes

Banned
I think mike works did something in writing. And Tim the wiz is currently doing something related to writing. Check the writing thread out. I'm sure somebody will link to it sooner or later.

So glad I decided to sign up to this, I've done about 1400 words in two days when I was beginning to worry that my creative well had evaporated and been filled in with concrete.

Pen and paper fo lyf, yo.

Mike M

Nick N
Burned 900 words on just the first scene alone, no way can I get this in under 2500 without butchering it to hell.

Starting over with something else.

GRW810

How do you guys go about forming ideas for challenges? I'm guessing everyone has a different approach. I usually keep the theme in the back of my mind and throughout the first week go about my normal life, hoping I come up with a plot I can relate to it. It isn't the best or most reliable way at all.

I'm going to start writing down the theme in the middle of a sheet of paper and jot down anything I can associate with the word(s), and then turn it into ideas. I'm jealous of you guys who always start early or have a bunch of ideas to choose from.

Cyan

Banned
How do you guys go about forming ideas for challenges? I'm guessing everyone has a different approach. I usually keep the theme in the back of my mind and throughout the first week go about my normal life, hoping I come up with a plot I can relate to it. It isn't the best or most reliable way at all.

I'm going to start writing down the theme in the middle of a sheet of paper and jot down anything I can associate with the word(s), and then turn it into ideas. I'm jealous of you guys who always start early or have a bunch of ideas to choose from.

I've done a few things. Keeping the theme in the back of my mind is what I usually do, because it's not actually any effort or work. Unsurprisingly, it also tends to yield the worst results.

The ronito method is to put down at least four solid ideas based on the theme, then discard the first three. I've tried it a few times and it worked pretty well.

Free association, as you've mentioned, is another one I've tried. Just sit down and write down anything that comes to mind, until eventually something clicks and I go "yes, I want to write that one." Then I keep free associating to expand and deepen the idea. This has worked fairly well as well, though I've also ended up with some clunkers.

The latest thing I've been trying is using Card's "MICE quotient" (Milieu, Idea, Character, Event) to come up with multiple ideas from different angles, then picking the best one. I used this for the last story and felt it worked out all right.
The real problem with my last story wasn't the underlying concept, but the implementation: a story about a spy spying on her own organization, and the three scenes consist of her a) standing in a bathroom, b) flipping through a filing cabinet, c) having a conversation. Hellooooo Cyan, it's a story about a spy! Have her do spy stuff!

The Absurd (824)
Quote for password

My first entry on here. It's very short (and rushed!). Love getting feedback - so please, attack it! Interested to see how people react to it's relation with the theme - I know how I feel.

That is pretty much what I do.
I got plenty of ideas in my head, and just look for an excuse to put them to paper.
It works for me, as these challenges ensures that they get written down at all.

Mike M

Nick N

I just have a bunch of ideas rattling around at any given time, usually I have one that fits somehow.

1. I have bunch of old ideas I've been meaning to get to so I can always take from there if I can't come up with something.
2. Except that doesn't happen because the moment I see the theme I get a concept in mind (which doesn't have to be a story, it could be an emotion, a writing device or anything) and then the fleshing out follows naturally from there. I've been in quite a few 4-hour game development contests so coming up with a concept and fleshing it out quickly is no problem.

I feel I generally take a lot from my game development. Creative expression is more or less a universal thing to me; medium doesn't matter so much. I'm certainly no master writer but I still feel like I'm better than someone who's only been writing for 6 months has any right to be.

kehs

Banned
The first writing challenge on this board got me into writing. That's why I always keep coming back.

Also I feel like I finally have a winner on my hands as far as having a story for the challenge. Hope I finish it in time. It seems well developed to me, and none of my previous stories feel like that ever.

Mike M

Nick N
For reals? Got damn.

Eh, I've only been doing it since January (Discounting the Batman stuff from a decade ago, but that was just a series of "wacky" forum posts I eventually compiled), so I don't find it hard to believe.

Inadvertent Mike M vs Chainsawkitten "Who's the better novice writer" pissing contest is go!

kehs

Banned
A few thanks from the last commentary, read after please:
toddhunter, I decided to go full on with the introspective angle. mu chepai, all I do is depressing write =<. hey_monkey: I took the line writing comment to heart and tried to fill things out. I couldn't help it as the end though.

Won't be able to do anything for this one. Every spare moment is spent looking for apartments since I'm moving to study at a university.

Sober

Luckily I have the day off but I keep pounding my head against this. I really want to get something out for this week. Fuck writer's block.

Attic Record Review: The Eraser
Word Count: 822

I was rummaging through my attic the other day when I came across a box full of compact discs and you'll never guess what happened next: I started looking through them. As the smell of old board game instructions wafted through the air, I found one of my old favorites by none other than Mr. Radiohead himself: Thom Yorke. Are you familiar with Thom Yorke? Sit on a bumper and let me tell you about this man and his solo LP (The Eraser) in an honest fashion.

Tommy Yorke is the lead singer/conductor of a band known by many people as &#8220;Radiohead.&#8221; Now Radiohead is the only band when it comes to making music that matters. Other bands use instruments on their &#8220;records.&#8221; Do you realize how old fashioned guitars are becoming? Well Thom Yorke does. That&#8217;s why he looks at a guitar and gets all itchy.

Radiohead uses computers to make their records. Specific programs include Number Munchers and Doom II in order to generate those sounds that make you feel like you know more about music than your stupid brother that likes bands that aren&#8217;t Radiohead. Some of their hit songs include &#8220;Hunting Bears&#8221; and &#8220;OK Computer.&#8221;

Back in 2006, Mr. Yorke Peppermint Patty decided that he wanted to sit in a closet, by himself, and record a solo album, all alone. He was quick to assure all of the fans of his quintet not to worry that Radiohead is breaking up. They&#8217;re not. I called Radiohead to confirm this and they said, &#8220;This is Radiohead and we&#8217;re fine.&#8221;

The solo album, titled &#8220;The Eraser,&#8221; is majestic. Like an eagle swooping down from the back of a quarter, this album has peaks and valleys that will take the listener on an adventure island II.

Can you believe how majestic Thom Yorke and his album is? Just look at the artwork!

156970280_7fbcd625b6.jpg

It&#8217;s the guy from &#8220;Spy vs. Spy&#8221; pumping water out of his basement because it rained really hard last night. Who thinks of these things? THOM YORKE!

The title track, &#8220;The Eraser,&#8221; is the album&#8217;s title track. Thom Yorke believed in his mind that the title of this track would make for a good title. The song sounds like if you took The Clash mixed with Primitive Radio Gods, told them to become friends, and made a jingle for a new soft drink called &#8220;Eraser Cola.&#8221;

Next up is &#8220;Analyse.&#8221; I think they spelled analyze wrong. Hopefully nobody notices this. Anyway this song begins with a football coach describing a button hook left wide out play and ends with Hotwheels falling out of a toy box.

&#8220;The Clock&#8221; informs the listener how much time is left on the album so you can plan the rest of your day. One example of something you might need to do after the album is over would be picking up some pancake ingredients at the store.

Uh oh, it&#8217;s &#8220;Black Swan.&#8221; Okay, I&#8217;m not sure if I should mention this, but this song includes the &#8216;f&#8217; word quite a few times. Some people call this the &#8216;f bomb,&#8217; but in times of war, I find that phrase highly offensive. Can we say &#8216;f bomb pop&#8217; instead? Ice cream can sooth the sore throat of war. THIS IS A POLITICAL STATEMENT BECAUSE I AM PART OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA!

&#8220;Skip Divided&#8221; is a song that makes you really listen to the lyrics. Lyrics are the most important part of the song and Thom Yorkshire Terrier is fully aware of this. Some of his lyrics include, &#8220;Girl I want to hold you in my arms and never let you go.&#8221; This is clearly a love song written about his best gal. (Hint: put this on a mixtape, fellas!)

I didn&#8217;t have time to listen to the next two tracks separately so I put them both on at the same time. I played this at a party and everyone went bananas. The two tracks are &#8220;Atoms for Peace&#8221; and &#8220;And it Rained All Night.&#8221; Oh man, that previous sentence has &#8220;and and&#8221; in it. That&#8217;s really awkward. Thom Yorke was obviously not considering those individuals who wouldn&#8217;t have enough time to listen to individual songs, listen to both songs, and write an album review. Two words Thom: NEGATIVE PRESS.

&#8220;Harrowdown Hill&#8221; is a song T.Y. contributed to the horror film &#8220;Harrowdown Hill&#8221; staring Jennifer Love Hewitt. This song includes scary noises like doors creaking and a stranger walking around the kitchen. This song is rated PG-13 for scenes of violence and and brief male nudity.

And finally, the last song, &#8220;Cymbal Rush&#8221; is a 27 second recording of Thom checking his closet for vampires. You can hear him saying things like, &#8220;Are there any vampires in here?&#8221; and &#8220;Phew.&#8221; The albums ends with a half-hour of silence followed by someone coughing a lot.

To purchase the album, please visit your local Service Merchandise or Venture store location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom