• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict November's biggest disaster

Tragically, Fire Emblem will get lost in the crowd and be dismissed due to having dated graphics and no "wiggle-waggle" Wii controls...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Remember, for it to be a disaster that means people would first have to give a shit about it.

That eliminates: Beowulf, Raving Rabbids 2, Viva Piñata (PC), Ultimate Duck Hunting, Trauma Centre: New Blood, Ghost Squad, The Golden Compass.

Rolf NB

GenericPseudonym said:
Why? It has everything: budget, talented team, strong MS marketing support, a very marketable universe, and a history of success (from KOTOR). I don't see how anyone could suspect Mass Effect to fail? But then again people expected Bioshock to fail, and Halo 3 to be a dissapointment, and Gears to be a dissapointment etc. etc.
The combat isn't as appealing. It's very bare-bones in terms of movement (no formal cover system, slow), and whenever you want to select a force power you go to a menu which pauses the game. It's not an instanteous thing where you map a power to a button and just use it over and over again. It always takes you out of the flow.

There are some videos up on gametrailers that show combat scenes.

The dialog system looks incredible, and that's what the PR has been focusing on all this time, but at the end of the day that's still just an eye-candy side-dish. It needs good combat, too.

Anything going up against COD4, MarioGalaxy, or Uncharted will suffer a bit...

I'm buying a 360 just to play Mass Effect (and Lost Odyssey later...)

...don't think ME it will flop but I can see why people are saying that.

VALIS

GenericPseudonym said:
Is GAF fucking retarded? Didn't you people learn from Bioshock? Don't doubt Mass Effect, it will sell over a million copies, and it will be second only to Mario in November.

No no, let them do it. It's so fun watching their fantard optimism get shot down in flames every month.

RevoDS

Unfortunately, Trauma Center will be lost under the sheer awesomeness of the November lineup (regardless of the system), so this is my expected bomb.

Darkman M

Wow this thread = totally bookmarked, get off of that bullshit you guys are shooting up. Theres no way in hell Mass Effect is flopping no way.

josephdebono said:
i don't understand you you put SMG in the list...
I put every big game in that list, and even some shit ones that might have sold okay had it not been November. Anything short of a newspaper from the future could say Mario Galaxy doesn't sell 500k.

jakster4u

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, with most casual gamers probably buying Galaxy how many are going to spend it on such a lame game.

numble

Anerythristic said:
Uncharted is not out in Nov. ?

I would like to predict 190,000 copies sold in a Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts like debacle. Seriously.

Uncharted has 11 total days of availability in November.

Oneself

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Viva Pinata (PC)
Haze
Trauma Centre: New Blood

This is what caught my attention in the OP. They will all fail at selling.

J-Rzez

numble said:
Uncharted has 11 total days of availability in November.

And unless Sony starts advertising it in this upcoming week, the following at the latest, enough people aren't going to know what this game is... Unless it gets some massive scores from Media outlets... You wouldn't think even the media could trash a game of this caliber from what we've seen and heard, but after some of those Ratchet scores, I don't doubt it one bit...

Like you said, 11 days of availability won't help out the tally much either...

Lightning

Banned
J-Rzez said:
And unless Sony starts advertising it in this upcoming week, the following at the latest, enough people aren't going to know what this game is... Unless it gets some massive scores from Media outlets... You wouldn't think even the media could trash a game of this caliber from what we've seen and heard, but after some of those Ratchet scores, I don't doubt it one bit...

Like you said, 11 days of availability won't help out the tally much either...
Is the game not getting advertised much in the US? That sucks.

Also, why don't people just download the free demo to see what the games are like? Ratchet had a demo and we are told that both Uncharted and Haze are receiving demos, so there really isn't any excuse for any PS3 owner to not know what Uncharted is about. Not to mention the whole making of Uncharted they released on PSN giving everyone a insight into the game.

Sony do need more posters and TV adverts though.

solid2snake said:
GAF =/= reality

Yeah, reality is where the 360 'Game of the Month' sells at least 400k in every NPD.

GAF is fucking delusional for thinking the game will bomb.

Blimblim said:
I'm starting to believe that Assassin's Creed will flop. The few things I heard from the reviewers who have the review build certainly aren't completely positive either...

Not completely positive =/= negative...right?

Blim?

Anybody?

People , are you just looking to get a rise out of people ?

We all know Mass Effect will be at least 500K to 750K LTD title...at least.

Is that a failure for this title ?

Edit: I will not be as bold as to predict Gears like sales. I think it's possible.

Uncharted

The characters are unlikable. No one wants to play a game starring Ross from Friends and a granola lesbian. And sweaty gunrunners/pirates are just as mind numbing.

The locales are boring. A dock and a jungle? All it’s missing are a maze of grey corridors and a World War II battlefield.

The gunplay is subdued.

The game is a patchwork monstrosity of other games. Naughty Dog's taken the Tomb Raider template and pasted in Resident Evil 4's camera, and Gears' combat system. They even took Resident Evil 4’s jet ski and crammed it into the template.

No one really owns a PS3 to begin with.

Every other PS3 exclusive has either been a critical or commercial bomb so the odds favor Uncharted doing likewise.

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Uncharted

The characters are unlikable. No one wants to play a game starring Ross from Friends and a granola lesbian. And sweaty gunrunners/pirates are just as mind numbing.

The locales are boring. A dock and a jungle? All it’s missing are a maze of grey corridors and a World War II battlefield.

The gunplay is subdued.

The game is a patchwork monstrosity of other games. Naughty Dog's taken the Tomb Raider template and pasted in Resident Evil 4's camera, and Gears' combat system. They even took Resident Evil 4’s jet ski and crammed it into the template.

Every other PS3 exclusive has either been a critical or commercial bomb so the odds favor Uncharted doing likewise.
My chest :lol

J-Rzez

Lightning said:
Is the game not getting advertised much in the US? That sucks.

Also, why don't people just download the free demo to see what the games are like? Ratchet had a demo and we are told that both Uncharted and Haze are receiving demos, so there really isn't any excuse for any PS3 owner to not know what Uncharted is about. Not to mention the whole making of Uncharted they released on PSN giving everyone a insight into the game.

Sony do need more posters and TV adverts though.

I'm talking advertising on TV and posters wise... There's nothing yet... Heck, we just finally got the Ratchet commercials... There's people that will dl the demo and fall in love with it, maybe there's a lot of people that have checked out the trailers, I don't know...

I'm gonna say it's on the media's shoulders if this game makes or breaks it... Glowing reviews like Ratchets (barring the nonsense ones) will help push it, but even better reviews would make it a sure success... All it takes is for one to say it's a GOTY candidate on all platforms, and that's when it'll take off...

Mindlog

I don't see too many unwarranted expectations from many of those games aside from...

Unreal Tournament III

and I won't call it a failure at all I just believe™ it has the greatest chance of not meeting 'sales expectations' because of the combination of hardware requirements, demo feedback, and exceedingly crowded genre space

Even though I do miss traditional DM :(

also, pineapple

I don't know why people would say Viva Pinata for PC. It didn't sell great on 360, so it wouldn't be a disaster on PC.

However, Assassins Creed, a game hyped beyond fuckin extreme, if sells poor is gonna be a disaster cause I'm sure it cost a lot to make.

It's a hard battle between haze and viva pinata,but if i have to choose one i'd say haze,for some reason none gives a shit about the game.

Quick total, simply deduct 100k (per point) from whatever you think it was going to sell.

Unreal Tournament III - 4
Assassin's Creed - 12
Mass Effect - 14
Crysis - 4
Viva Pinata (PC) - 19
Blacksite: Area 51 - 17
Kane and Lynch: Dead men - 15

Sim City: Societies - 4
Rock Band - 6
Haze - 25
Raving Rabbids 2 - 3
Soul Calibur Legends - 2
Trauma Centre: New Blood - 6
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - 3
Uncharted - 6
Fire Emblem - 5
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 3
Beowulf - 5
edit: Ghost Squad - 6

Fina1e

Uncharted

The gunplay is subdued.

You're either being sarcastic, or by going by your post history, the biggest tool on this board.

womfalcs3

Banned
Blacksite will be a disaster of great proportions. The game is sent out to be murdered then burned. I don't think it'll sell more than 300,000 on all three platforms combined.

Scotch

Visualante said:
Quick total, simply deduct 100k (per point) from whatever you think it was going to sell.

Unreal Tournament III - 3
Assassin's Creed - 12
Mass Effect - 14
Crysis - 4
Viva Pinata (PC) - 17
Blacksite: Area 51 - 17
Kane and Lynch: Dead men - 15

Sim City: Societies - 4
Rock Band - 6
Haze - 24
Raving Rabbids 2 - 3
Soul Calibur Legends - 2
Trauma Centre: New Blood - 6
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - 3
Uncharted - 6
Fire Emblem - 5
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 3
Beowulf - 3
So what we've learned is that Fire Emblem will outsell Mass Effect.

J-Rzez

Uncharted

The gunplay is subdued.

I honestly thought you were joking, then remembered you trolling this game hardcore in another Uncharted thread... And the great post in "PS3 gamers in limbo" or whatever thread you said something to the effect that PS3 gamers are in denial and remose... :lol

Fina1e said:
You're either being sarcastic, or by going by your post history, the biggest tool on this board.

Xbox_t20_screwdriver.jpg

Jtrizzy

Uncharted

The gunplay is subdued.

wow :lol I had forgotten how much you hate Sony™.

traveler

Not Wario
Guys, guys: this isn't what you WANT to bomb; the OP is asking what will bomb. (i.e. stop putting Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Galaxy)

Insane Metal

Gold Member
J-Rzez said:
I honestly thought you were joking, then remembered you trolling this game hardcore in another Uncharted thread... And the great post in "PS3 gamers in limbo" or whatever thread you said something to the effect that PS3 gamers are in denial and remose... :lol

Wow... I thought it was a joke post... :lol

Top Bottom