• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR Predicts DS2 Announcement Within 8 Months

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that EEDAR has predicted that the DS2 will be announced within 8 months as part of their year in review report.

Press e-mail version said:
DS2?

Even though the Nintendo DS posted a record year in 2009, EEDAR expects Nintendo to make an official announcement on the DS2 within the next eight months.

Nintendo has always had a controlling stake in the handheld market, despite facing numerous competitors, and EEDAR believes one of the biggest reasons for Nintendo’s success in the handheld market is their ability to remove opportunity gaps for competitors to enter. Nintendo’s transition from the GBA to the DS, a year earlier than anticipated, was a brilliant strategy to remove any upper hand the Sony PSP could have by being first to market.

Piracy continues to be an issue, not just for Nintendo, but for its third-party publishers as well. Whilst the release of the DSi has slowed down piracy, that slow down will only be temporary as hackers have already managed to bypass the new security systems built into the hardware.

Additionally, many publishers including Sega, Capcom, and now UbiSoft have all expressed that they may be reducing their exposure to Nintendo’s consoles, which will likely lead to heavy declines in both hardware and software sales for the Nintendo DS.

We believe that due to the aging technology, the possibility of new competitors in 2011, a decline in publisher support and piracy, Nintendo will launch a successor to the DS within the next 15 months, and likely announce such in the next eight months.

Of course, this should not discourage anyone from buying new DS software, as any DS successor will most likely be backwards compatible.
Source: I used the press e-mail version, but here's a source with the exact same text along with the author throwing in their opinion: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/nintendo-to-announce-ds2-within-8-months-says-analyst/

For those curious about everything they said, here's the full press statement. They have some interesting numbers and statements about the entire year.

EEDAR said:
2009 – A Bumpy Road

With industry software sales down 10% compared to 2008, many are under the wrong impression that the industry equally across all categories in 2009. Whilst certainly many areas did see a decline in 2009, there were categories which actually grew over the last 12 months.

Mature Rated Games Outperform

Sales of Mature rated (or 16+ and 18+ PEGI) games remained flat in 2009, which outperformed all other ESRB (and PEGI) ratings which all had sales decline in the double digits. In fact, over the last five years, Mature games have had one of the most stable economies and reinforces a theory that whether a recession or economic boom, the core of our industry has and will continue to remain healthy.

The biggest decline among the ESRB/PEGI ratings was in the Teen rated (or +12 PEGI) games. Although EEDAR does not believe the decline is directly due to the Teen rating, but rather the fact that most Music based games (see below) held a Teen rating (or +12 PEGI).

Music Continues to Decline

The genre with the largest decline in 2009, and likely the biggest factor into lackluster software sales for the year was the Music and Rhythm category, whose worldwide sales declined by over 40% vs. 2008. Whilst it is clear the troubles our industry faced in 2009 were not solely due to the performance of the Music and Rhythm category, this genre failed to achieve publisher and retailer expectations even with such large title as DJ Hero, Band Hero, Guitar Hero 5, and Beatles: Rock Band.

Of course, EEDAR is not placing sole blame on the Music and Rhythm genre for the industry’s woes, but it is clear the troubles our industry faced in 2009 were not equally shared across all genres in our sector.

On the opposite end, the largest revenue gains produced year over year were in the Shooter genre, which came on the backs of titles such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Borderlands, Halo: ODST, Resident Evil 5, Killzone 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and catalog sales from Call of Duty 4 and World at War, which reinforces EEDAR’s position that the core of the industry continues to remain healthy and grow every year.

Music in 2010

Currently, EEDAR expects the Music category to decline by 30% in 2010; however, when you include rhythm based games, the genre could end up in the -5 to -15% range. With the release of the Natal and Sony’s Motion Controller, EEDAR believes there is a large potential market for dance-based games. Specifically, games that take the current Dance Dance Revolution standard and evolve it into the new motion technologies that remove the need for a physical peripheral, such as a dance pad. The industry was already beginning to see the rhythm category take off in late 2009 with the release of Just Dance by UbiSoft, which will likely sell over 1 million units, worldwide, by the end of UbiSoft’s fiscal year.

Understanding the New Consumer

All too often the economy is blamed for the recent industry contraction. In reality, decreased sales in 2009 had more to do with a lack of innovation than economic recession. The growth of our industry now rests more on innovation than it ever has before, especially since non-traditional and casual markets consist of a larger share than in previous years. No longer can developers update a few maps, design some new weapons, add a few new characters, then throw a roman numeral at the end of the box and call it a “sequel”. That may work for core targeted games (Action, Shooters, and RPGs), but this strategy is not ideal for non-traditional and casual gamers.

Case in point: most sequels targeted to the mainstream and casual markets actually underperform in comparison to the original, which is the opposite to what has traditionally been the case for core targeted games. If you examine the Nintendo Wii and DS platforms (the current primary platform for this audience) Boom Blox outsold Boom Blox 2 (Wii); Brain Age outsold Brain Age 2 (DS); Guitar Hero III bested World Tour (Wii); The Bigs crushed The Bigs 2 (Wii); Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (Wii) is on track to outperform its Winter counterpart; Rayman Raving Rabbids (Wii) (2006) outsold its 2007 release; and lastly the original Cooking Mama (Wii, DS) (2006) has out sold all sequel versions combined.

EEDAR believes Nintendo understands the mindset of its consumers the best, which is why Nintendo rarely releases sequels within the same generation and, if they do, they are years apart. A good example of this is Mario Kart. Instead of releasing an annual Mario Kart title, Nintendo opts to only release one Mario Kart per hardware generation. Traditional thinking would assume that after an initial sales bump Mario Kart would simply just fade away on retail shelves—as so many others do. However, Nintendo realizes that if you can get an initial attachment rate on Mario Kart of 25% in 2008, they should be able to get the same attachment for new Wii purchasers in 2009 without having to release a sequel. To no surprise, the attachment rate for Mario Kart in 2009 was identical to that of 2008. Another example is Wii Fit. Whilst Nintendo did release a sequel to Wii Fit, The Wii Fit Plus (2009), the overwhelming majority of sales did not come from the stand-alone software edition, but rather the hardware/software bundle of the Wii Fit Plus. In other words the release of the expansion, which likely had minimal development costs, spurred sales of a 20 month old game wrapped in new packaging.

Of course this rule is not absolute for all casual and mainstream titles, some sequels do outperform the original, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, sequels on the Wii just cannibalize the potential sales of its predecessor. For reference, if the above examples were not proof enough, Call of Duty: World at War (2008) only outsold Call of Duty 3 by the smallest of margins and the most recent Call of Duty Modern Warfare: Reflex (2009) is currently on track to under-perform against World at War.

With the Wii making up the majority of the current casual and mainstream audience this finding should be carefully observed as Sony and Microsoft attempt to become more competitive in this space in future years.

Hardware

Next-Generation hardware units were up 1% in 2009, the PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS, and Xbox 360 were the only hardware consoles that produced positive comps in 2009. For 2010, EEDAR expects the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to be the only consoles to produce positive comps.

For 2010, EEDAR expects hardware units to decline by 17%, mostly due to the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, and Sony PSP. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are likely to post modest unit gains in 2010.

DS2?

Even though the Nintendo DS posted a record year in 2009, EEDAR expects Nintendo to make an official announcement on the DS2 within the next eight months.

Nintendo has always had a controlling stake in the handheld market, despite facing numerous competitors, and EEDAR believes one of the biggest reasons for Nintendo’s success in the handheld market is their ability to remove opportunity gaps for competitors to enter. Nintendo’s transition from the GBA to the DS, a year earlier than anticipated, was a brilliant strategy to remove any upper hand the Sony PSP could have by being first to market.

Piracy continues to be an issue, not just for Nintendo, but for its third-party publishers as well. Whilst the release of the DSi has slowed down piracy, that slow down will only be temporary as hackers have already managed to bypass the new security systems built into the hardware.

Additionally, many publishers including Sega, Capcom, and now UbiSoft have all expressed that they may be reducing their exposure to Nintendo’s consoles, which will likely lead to heavy declines in both hardware and software sales for the Nintendo DS.

We believe that due to the aging technology, the possibility of new competitors in 2011, a decline in publisher support and piracy, Nintendo will launch a successor to the DS within the next 15 months, and likely announce such in the next eight months.

Of course, this should not discourage anyone from buying new DS software, as any DS successor will most likely be backwards compatible.

So what do we think. Is their prediction reasonable given their reasoning?

HUELEN10

I could see it happening, but only at the very earliest. The DSi would have been about 2 years by then, so the predictions of it having a GBC-style lifespan would have been dead on.

Well, these guys have been hella-awesome with predictions so far as I can remember, so I'm gonna go ahead and put my life savings down at a bookie on this one.

Darklord

Banned
The DS2 has already been release, it's called the DSi. Nintendo don't go by generations anymore with handhelds, they'll keep updating the DS for years to come. There won't ever be a DS2 or at least for a very, very long time.

selig

Banned
I WANT a brand new Nintendo handheld, it feels so hot and sexy to unwrap a whole new system. Is it possible in the near future? Maybe, but im to biased by my personal wishes for it.

HUELEN10

Darklord said:
The DS2 has already been release, it's called the DSi.
While I agree, a lot of people don't see it that way. For me, GB is 1, GBC is 2, and GBA is 3, so in my mind, DS is 1, DSi is 2, and the next one will be 3!
:lol

Still, we are talking about a "DS Advance" here, there's no question about it.

Dennis

Banned
Darklord said:
The DS2 has already been release, it's called the DSi. Nintendo don't go by generations anymore with handhelds, they'll keep updating the DS for years to come. There won't ever be a DS2 or at least for a very, very long time.
No you're most likely wrong. There will be a DS2 with much more power because Nintendo predicts this will sell many more units than a slightly upgraded DS. Everybody and their dog already has a DS. Nintendo wants you to buy something new.

Here's hoping EEDAR is right - the DS is getting really long in the tooth.

A new Tegra 2 based DS2 will likely cement Nintedos handheld dominance for the next 10 years.

Better be DSiWare backwards compatible somehow so I'll get to play Shantae!

Of course, this will be the exciting beginning of Nintendo's "oh all that content you bought isn't transferable to the successor" headache unless they work something out ahead of time.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Nintendo will probably announce another DS refresh this year, but I doubt it will be anything substantial.

selig said:
I WANT a brand new Nintendo handheld, it feels so hot and sexy to unwrap a whole new system. Is it possible in the near future? Maybe, but im to biased by my personal wishes for it.

This is how i'm feeling as well.
Bring on DS2!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo will launch a successor to the DS within the next 15 months, and likely announce such in the next eight months.
It's hard to disagree with this. I don't see it coming out in 2010 but they'll definitely announce it to get the hype going. Especially if they're going to do something weird with the hardware again.

Darklord

Banned
jj984jj said:
It's hard to disagree with this. I don't see it coming out in 2010 but they'll definitely announce it to get the hype going.

Why bother upgrading the DSi with new hardware when they don't even use it? The DS still sells like crazy and they have no competition within 50 million sales, there is absolutely no reason to to through the time, money and pressure of releasing a new system when they have one still selling so well.

Kyzer said:
And yet, all I can think about, is what Gen 5 Pokemon will look like.
10.jpg

Darklord said:
I don't think the DSi is the DS2. To me, it's basically just a DS with a camera. The games that are DSi enhanced all use the camera, and it is said that the extra RAM and power are for the camera.

Not that I don't love my DSi... It's my favorite iteration of the DS, and I don't mind buying it, even if Nintendo were to announce a DS 2.

Honestly, I think Nintendo would announce a DSi successor, and maybe a Wii successor, but not necessarily release it within the 8 months.

HUELEN10

Darklord said:
Why bother upgrading the DSi with new hardware when they don't even use it? The DS still sells like crazy and they have no competition within 50 million sales, there is absolutely no reason to to through the time, money and pressure of releasing a new system when they have one still selling like crazy.
They have competition, the iPhone and other mobile devices.

While I don't personally think of it as competition, based on the remarks of others, and Nintendo's own surveys, I think it is something that Nintendo should prep for, just in case.

Darklord

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
I don't think the DSi is the DS2. To me, it's basically just a DS with a camera. The games that are DSi enhanced all use the camera, and it is said that the extra RAM and power are for the camera.

I didn't know that. However, I still think the only new DS we'll see is that HD one talked about anytime within the next 2 years. Maybe that could be classified as the DS2?

The DS has been around since late 2004, and the DSi is really just a GBC interim step up and it's marketed as the same machine. If 2011 for the DS successor is a given, that would mean the DS had 7 good years, and it'll probably get another 1-2 years worth of decent games.

Darklord

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
The DS has been around since late 2004, and the DSi is really just a GBC interim step up and it's marketed as the same machine. If 2011 for the DS successor is a given, that would mean the DS had 7 good years, and it'll probably get another 1-2 years worth of decent games.

Yes but Nintendo have said, I think it was about a year ago now that they have no plans of releasing a new handheld and the DS will have a much longer life span than any other. I just can't imagine then releasing a new system now. Thinking about? Sure, they'd do that for the last 7 years but it won't ever be released until sales start to slow and by the latest NPD where over 3 million units were sold in a single month, there is no way in hell they'd try and screw that up. A new system to them now or within the next 2 years or more would be less profit.

HUELEN10

Wait, where did people get the idea that the next DS would be in HD? :lol

Higher resolution's a definite, but 720p on a handheld? Not even the Zune HD has an HD screen, just HD output. I mean, it would really, really surprise me if the next DS would be HD.

Darklord

Banned
HUELEN10 said:

Higher resolution's a definite, but 720p on a handheld? Not even the Zune HD has an HD screen, just HD output. I mean, it would really, really surprise me if the next DS would be HD.

Oh well, Higher Res, HD, you know what I mean.:D

Dennis

Banned
HUELEN10 said:

People just use the terms HD and high-resolution interchangeably.

I don't think many would expect 720p screen(s). Output in 720p may be possible though.

480p or 600p screens does not seem unrealistic.

yurinka

LOL. Yes, they are going to announce a new DS: that bigger new one they have in Japan (XL or LL or whatever).

gkryhewy

For 2010, EEDAR expects the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to be the only consoles to produce positive comps.

For 2010, EEDAR expects hardware units to decline by 17%, mostly due to the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, and Sony PSP. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are likely to post modest unit gains in 2010.

I don't buy this at all. Wii unit sales were so stagnant for much of 2009, that they're almost guaranteed to be up YOY in 2010.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yurinka said:
LOL. Yes, they are going to announce a new DS: that bigger new one they have in Japan (XL or LL or whatever).

thats already been announced for March 5th for Europe

blackflag

Although a new DS will be nice, for some reason I equated DS2 to Demon's Souls 2. I got really happy until I opened the thread.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think it'll be announced sometime this summer, with a release possible (in Japan) by the end of the year and most likely 2011 in the states.

elohel

yeah so this isn't demon's souls 2 news?

why even talk about it lol we know that a new DS is coming cmon

prz, ds is the nintendo ds

DS is demon's souls

wsippel

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Nintendo handheld this year, but I honestly doubt it will be a DS2. And I'm not only talking about the name. I expect Nintendos next handheld to be something radically different, not more of the same with a few new features.

I've seen some supposed leak a few days ago, and while I'm quite sure it's a fake, the basic idea was pretty much in line with my expectations, or at least something I consider a possible scenario: Only a single display, fewer buttons, no resistive touchscreen, no DS or GBA compatibility. Instead, there's supposedly a single, high resolution widescreen display, a gyroscope and a rather imprecise capacitative(?) touchscreen just good enough to implement softkeys or other virtual controls. Like I said, it's most likely fake, but I, too, basically expect a new "3rd pillar" - something that might or might not replace the DS over time, but won't officially "succeed" it. If it bombs, there will be little harm done, Nintendo can still release a "real" DS2 in that case.

klier

elohel said:
yeah so this isn't demon's souls 2 news?

why even talk about it lol we know that a new DS is coming cmon

prz, ds is the nintendo ds

DS is demon's souls

I read DS as DualShock, Nintendo handheld is NDS

McHuj

There seems to be a lot of rumors going around about a new DS. There's seems to be a new rumor coming out every month or so. Too much smoke for something to not be in the works.

Top Bottom