• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Gameboy415

10/01 - 1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
10/02 - 2. Ghoulies (Netflix)

10/03 - 3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
51KXAE5R7ML.jpg
-I'd been wanting to see this movie for years but was never able to track down the OOP DVD. However, I randomly decided to check YouTube and found the entire movie on there! :)
I'm a huge fan of anthology horror films and I thought 3 of the 4 short films in this one were pretty great (the 4th one was a bit too confusing for my tastes).

10/04 - 4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)
-I still prefer the original, but I dug the special effects in this remake and some scenes genuinely creeped me out.

Day 3: Walled In (2008)

I found this astonishingly dull, I saw it under the Horror section of Netflix UK and since the set up seemed interesting I decided to give it a watch.

Basically an engineer travels to a dead architects last masterpiece to plan a demolition. While she's there she finds the building has a dark history and that people were buried alive in the walls, cue spooky stuff.

Apparently it's based on a best selling French graphic novel. I can kind of see how it might have worked as a graphic novel but as a movie, in this case, it just didn't.

3nMbpjp.png

Humour didn't work for me; in fact, I found it rather juvenile. 1/3

Yp1VOe6.png

I've never considered myself much of a Scrubs-fan but these early seasons are great! 3/3

October 4th

Film number 6: Insidious
Tagline: It’s not the house that’s haunted

Opening thoughts: I was not meant to be rewatching anything, and this wasn’t on my list, but the Mrs brought it home from Tesco, and she’s itching to watch it, so here we are.

Nz0Oeav.png

Closing thoughts: It doesn’t improve on a second viewing. Basically, it’s a nice little spooky movie until
Darth Maul shows up
, at which point it all goes a bit daft. Still, I like the ending and I like the comic relief and I love Barbara Hershey, so I’m not unhappy.

Score: 6 out of 10. Wifey’s verdict: Good fun, but The Conjuring is miles better.

Film number 7: The Devil’s Rock
Tagline: War is a bitch

Opening thoughts: Saw with swastikas. An original gore-soaked delight. That’s what it says on the box. I hope the box isn’t lying, I really do.

ACFLtFP.png

Closing thoughts: Not Saw with swastikas, that’s just lazy journalistic alliteration. It certainly is a gore soaked delight though. A round the bend bonkers, bizarre and brilliant gore soaked delight in fact. Set during WW2, on the eve of D-Day, it tells the story of two commandos from New Zealand who somehow find themselves down in a demon-summoning dungeon run by Nazis in the channel islands. That sounds crazy, but once the blood starts splattering so gloriously down there in the depths it’s easy to forget the lunacy of it all and just go with the magnificent sticky crimson flow

Score: 8 out of 10. Gina Varela, where have you been all my life? Even your ill-fitting false demon-teeth couldn’t put me off.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)

Ridley327

WEEK ONE - THE NEW BLOOD
October 4, part 1

An absolute riot from beginning to end. What's nice about it is that it doesn't play its full hand right away, so you end up with a lot of hilarious surprises and twists throughout the film. Tyler Labine absolutely kills it as Dale, and Alan Tudyk is his usual Alan Tudyk self, which is only a good thing. The supporting cast does a fantastic job, as well, with high marks for Katrina Bowden for being able to roll with the punches (or shovel swings, as it were) and staying just as sharp as the leads. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun.

Enk

makes good threads.
The Dunwich Horror (1970)
Trailer

I wanted to throw in an old classic that I still haven't seen into the list.I rather enjoyed this Roger Corman production of the HP Lovecraft story. Quantum Leap's Dean Stockwell was sufficiently creepy as Wilbur, a man with aspiring dreams to one day bring interdimensional beings into our world. All he needs is the Necronomicon and a little bit of love. The score by Les Baxter was hauntingly memorable and is still stuck in my head today, and the atmosphere of Dunwich worked well. It kind of made me feel I was watching a far better Manos: The Hands of Fate. I did feel the finale was a bit disjointed. Probably due to the lack of budget and effects to appropriately pull it off. It did have the most interesting use of a book stand I've seen...

While looking for pics I noticed that there was 2009 TV version made that has Dean Stockwell playing the good doctor this time, while longtime HP Lovecraft veteran, Jeffrey Combs, plays Wilbur. Would love to check that out at some point out of curiosity.

The list so far:

1- Goblin live
2- Wither
3- The Dunwich Horror

But the cover is so awesome, and if books have taught me anything, it's that the cover tells you all you need to know.

I was a little kid when I first saw that box on the shelves at the local rental store. Always wanted to see it just because I was mesmerized by it. Movie was incredibly rare apparently and I never saw it until earlier today..... Still trying to figure out where on the top 5 worst films it rates for me.

Necrovex

October 4: Event Horizon (Rewatch)

Event_horizon_ver1.jpg

The last time I saw this film was during my freshman year of college, so it has been five years in total. It seems like I forgot a lot more than I expected. I enjoyed my first viewing of it, and I liked my second time with it.

I expected some typical monster or a man who went crazy like another well known Sci Fi film. I was pleased to see the ship was the actual antagonist.

Cooper is the god damn man too. I hope he gets to hook up with that one woman. They both deserve some loving after that turmoil. But this leads to the ending: did the director intend to create the question of whether they truly escaped the Event Horizon and the alternate dimension?

What the hell happened to Anderson? He made this great film, and half-a-decade later, he made Resident Evil.

Score: 4/5

Ridley327

WEEK ONE - THE NEW BLOOD
October 4, part 2

The short review would be that this film is a koala bear that just crapped a rainbow in my head.

Imagine Donnie Darko by the way of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and you wouldn't be too far off from what kind of mindset to approach this film with, but nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever prepare you for the roads this film goes down. I could literally write out, in detail, what happens in this movie, and I know it would be pointless since none of you, except those who have watched it, of course, would believe me because it's too fucking crazy.

Detention is the kind of film that makes you wonder if famed music video director/sometime theatrical film director/first time screenwriter Joseph Kahn may in fact have ADHD. It's almost as if Kahn decided he wanted to do with a slasher film, a 90s teen comedy, and a stylistic ripoff of Gregg Araki's earlier films, and no one was around to tell him why those things don't go together at all. Pop culture references fly by with a speed that would make the writers of The Venture Bros. look sluggish, the plot finds ways for its tangents to go off on tangents, and I would mention how often it breaks the fourth wall with its metafiction elements, but there is no goddamned fourth wall in this film to break, as it simply does not exist. How does one even begin to get a handle on whatever the hell is supposed to be going on, and what would be the point to it all, if there is one?

Insanity this, well, insane, isn't just taking a lazy shotgun approach to overwhelm the viewer with a surplus of ideas, though. The film's writing is too sharp and genuinely hilarious to ever think that, its direction too strong and consistent, as well, and its cast is too on point for there not to be a method to the madness, with high marks going to our female leads Shanley Caswell and Spencer Locke for having to juggle some of the film's most outrageous tasks. A genuine mess would never rise above the levels of a mere curiosity, and Detention is not a messy film at all. Overstuffed, yes, but it straddles the fine line between stupid and clever far too well to wind up all over the floor.

Some will call it a clever film that masquerades as a piece of crap, and some will call it a piece of crap masquerading as a clever film. For me, however, I feel like the only way to do the film any justice is that the director of Torque decided to do a horror film, and this time around, he got it pretty much right. I think.

October 5 preview: We close out the first week of this year's marathon by steering back into more serious territory. An epidemic that renders the population vampires has swept North America, leaving few humans left. For one teenage boy, his chance encounter with a vampire hunter leads him on a cross-country journey across the ever dangerous Stake Land, in the hopes of finding a safe haven in a world that is no longer safe.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 3 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957)

394px-I_Was_A_Teenage_Werewolf-poster.jpg

I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957) - Michael Landon's first movie role sees him subjected to the ministrations of the decidedly evil Dr. Brandon (Whit Bissel, better known from Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Creature from the Black Lagoon), who's bizarre chemically-induced hypnosis has teenager Tony Rivers transforming into a fearsome, drooling (rabid?) werewolf, first under the moon at night, and then in the school gymnasium in mid-afternoon. This is one of Samuel Z. Arkoff's classic B programmers churned out for the '50s drive-in market, and though it's pretty much as hokey as the title would suggest, ernest performances make it good fun.

An-Det

A bit behind due to shit happening, so I've only had the chance to watch two so far.

1. Dead Silence

The first film James Wan made after the first Saw. When a ventriloquist dummy is mysteriously delivered to Jamie Ashen's home, shit goes bad quickly, and he has to return home to figure out what's going on. It was decent. The effects and the horror were spot on. The dummy, Billy, was fucking creepy, and everything dealing with Mary Shaw is sufficiently fucked up. The acting was nothing special, though some of the characters aren't the brightest (
at one point, Henry grabs the dummy from his wife and brings it to another room to destroy it, and then hears his wife's voice coming from a cellar next to him and goes in despite that he should be completely aware that his wife didn't enter the room to go into the cellar. He deserved to die for that
). Overall I liked it, it was a fun watch and a good way to start off the month.

2. Sadako

Set 13 years after the events of the original Ringu events, a lunatic kills himself on a livestream, and if you watch the video of this, Sadako (Samara) kills you. Also, 3D, because why the fuck not. The premise of this (the Ring video, now mobile and online) was really cool for me, and I'm a sucker for the Ring series, so while this was clearly low budget, I liked it. Samara physically climbing out of computer monitors and other screens was funny to watch, moreso when she used her hair as a whip to catch people, but it worked within the absurdity of the film. Plus it allowed for a fantastic scene where the main two character are running from their apartment and Samara chases them through the street by switching between various screens, ultimately appearing on a giant screen on the side of a truck and whipping her hair out and dragging the boyfriend into the screen. It was ridiculous, and I loved it. The film took a turn in it's last stretch where
all the girls the lunatic killed are resurrected as crab-legged monsters, which I wasn't expecting from the franchise, but I appreciated the change of pace
. Also, destroying your iphone probably wont make these kinds of problems go away.

Not a great movie, in fact I felt like it ran a bit long (and at 96 minutes), but I really like the franchise, so I'll take it. Apparently a sequel released a month ago, I'm curious to see where they went with it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) The Blair Witch Project

2) Halloween (remake): As with any remake, it will compared to death to the original. I think Rob Zombie did a great job of holding his own against the original Halloween. You have more of a back story of Michael Myers. Which can be hit or miss and kinda over stays its welcome. The boy that played young Myers was fantastic however. The kills in this were fantastic. Michael Myers was a more menacing and more of a force here than in past movies. There is a lot of sex scenes which seem to be for the hell of it. The effects are well done. I enjoyed this quite a bit. I'm hoping Rob takes another crack at it in the near future. Try not to compare it to the past movies and you should walk away with a good slasher.

8.5/10

3) The Crazies: This has been one of my favorite zombie/horror movies since I watched it two years ago. The cast and acting are top notch. The movie is suspenseful and will have a few jump scares. The scene
where they are at the school and all hell breaks loose is great. Especially when the guy comes into the room with the pitchfork and has it dragging on the floor. Probably has to be scene that I love the most. Those crazy eyes as he kills off people strapped into the beds is chilling when you first watch it.
Even though it is a zombie movie at heart, it is believable in most aspects. If you are a fan of Timothy Olyphant, you owe it to yourself to watch this.

9.5/10

I think tomorrow I will pick two movies I have never watched.

2. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (2012)
lastwilltmk88.gif

I could not get into this film, it took me three tries to finish it. The biggest problem was the uninteresting protagonist. The house was interesting with all it's little knick knacks everywhere but it was all useless props. The music was alright building the atmosphere. The film doesn't really try to be scary and most of the story feels hollow. Maybe if the protagonist was more developed or had a personality I would have cared more.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Holy shit at Tucker and Dale.

Light on the horror elements, but a super entertaining and hilarious movie. The ancillary characters were slightly too blank for me, they could have embraced their stereotypes a little more fully, but seriously awesome fun.

Necrovex

October 5: Cabin in the Woods. Rewatch

I'm too tired to make a long post. Saw this film two years ago, it was a delight to see all the foreshadowing this time around.

Loved this film all over again.

Unicorns are the baddest motherfuckers around. Believe it.

5/5

I'm going to Halloween Horror Nights tonight, so that was the reason I chose Cabin. Excited to see that haunted house!

U85Okui.jpg

#1 Bram Stoker's Dracula (October 1)
“Take me away from all this death!”
There have been countless cinematic versions of Dracula over the years, but Francis Ford Coppola's film is a decidedly singular take on the story. Intended as a faithful adaptation, Coppola dug deep into his considerable bag of cinematic tricks to deliver a full-blooded rendering of the world's most famous bloodsucker. This version tapped into the sexual nature of Stoker's novel to create an erotic dream-like world with enough libido to fuel a hundred Hammer horrors; even Dracula's wolf form gets laid! The sets are lush, costumes opulent and the practical in camera effects are gloriously over the top. The overriding sense of Grand Guignol carries over to the actors who can't help but play it for the cheap seats. Gray Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, neither of whom have never found a piece of scenery they couldn't chew-up, deliver spectacular turns as Dr. Van Helsing and Dracula, respectively. In turns operatic, silly and sensual, Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of the most gorgeously mounted horror productions of all time.

vEj5Q7G.jpg

#2 Sleepy Hollow (October 2)
“The Horseman comes, and tonight he comes for you.”
Despite being heavily influenced by Gothic horror flicks, Tim Burton hadn't directed a horror film until he took the helm of Sleepy Hollow. Andrew Kevin Walker's screenplay re-imagines Ichabod Crane as a New York city constable sent to the titular village to solve a series of gruesome killings. Burton makes the most of his horror debut; every frame drips with enough Gothic horror panache to make Mario Bava blush. Scenes are shrouded by infinite layers of fog, trees are blackened gnarled husks and the sun is perpetually lost beneath an overcast sky. At the center of this gorgeous production is Burton's favorite leading man, Johnny Depp. Because he's Johnny Depp, he plays Ichabod Crane as a frightened little girl. He screams, faints and literally jumps at the sight of spiders; definitely not your standard issue police detective. In stark contrast to Depp's squealing histrionics is Christopher Walken's Headless Horseman. An absolute savage force of nature, Walken has zero dialogue, instead relying on growls to convey the violent nature of his mercenary Hessian. Funny, moody and beautiful, Burton's Sleepy Hollow was a pretty daring re-invention of a classic American horror story and definitely worth checking out for Hammer fans, despite a third act that goes off the rails.

3. Evil Dead II (1987)
evildeadiiq2ujj.gif

Masterpiece. Sam Raimi made a film with a perfect balance of Horror and Comedy. The only thing left to be said is "Groovy"

4. The Toxic Avenger
This is the kinda movie you watch while high and/or drunk as fuck, like I just did. It's total brain-dead schlock but whatever, I had a good time watching it.

GhaleonEB

#5 | The Cabin in the Woods (Rewatch)

CitwTeaserSmall.jpg

"I had to dismember that guy with a trowel. How have you been doing?"

My first rewatch this marathon, of one of my new favorite horror films. I need to come up with an adjective for these kinds of movies, which both deconstruct a genre and reside comfortably within the genre it's deconstructing.

This was my 3rd watch of Cabin in the Woods, and I keep finding new things to enjoy. It's a remarkably detailed movie, with little touches, references, call backs and clues dotted throughout. It's landed in my top 10 horror films ever. The last 20 minutes are crazy good.
The unicorn and the magical harp on the score as it rides off...OMG.

Random detail I appreciated:
Dana's voice slurring in the closing scene as she dies of blood loss after the werewolf attack. Just a tiny touch, but it adds a lot to the scene. Very detailed performances and writing.

This will join The Thing and Trick'r Treat on my annual Halloween watch list.

1. REC]
  2. Re-Animator
  3. Sinister
  4. Tales from the Hood
  5. Cabin in the Woods*
*Denotes rewatch

matt360

2. Sadako

Set 13 years after the events of the original Ringu events, a lunatic kills himself on a livestream, and if you watch the video of this, Sadako (Samara) kills you. Also, 3D, because why the fuck not. The premise of this (the Ring video, now mobile and online) was really cool for me, and I'm a sucker for the Ring series, so while this was clearly low budget, I liked it. Samara physically climbing out of computer monitors and other screens was funny to watch, moreso when she used her hair as a whip to catch people, but it worked within the absurdity of the film. Plus it allowed for a fantastic scene where the main two character are running from their apartment and Samara chases them through the street by switching between various screens, ultimately appearing on a giant screen on the side of a truck and whipping her hair out and dragging the boyfriend into the screen. It was ridiculous, and I loved it. The film took a turn in it's last stretch where
all the girls the lunatic killed are resurrected as crab-legged monsters, which I wasn't expecting from the franchise, but I appreciated the change of pace
. Also, destroying your iphone probably wont make these kinds of problems go away.

Not a great movie, in fact I felt like it ran a bit long (and at 96 minutes), but I really like the franchise, so I'll take it. Apparently a sequel released a month ago, I'm curious to see where they went with it.

I'm probably just being a poopypants, but I hate what they've done with that character here in Japan. Back when the old Ringu movies were out, Sadako was a legit terrifying character/monster. Now she's a farce. To promote Sadako 3D and the newest movie, she made her rounds throwing out the first pitch at various major league baseball games. They have completely ruined the character in my eyes. Kinda like what happened with Darth Vader when the prequels came out. When I was a little kid Darth Vader scared the shit out of me. Now he does guest spots in car commercials. Some characters should just be left alone.

n558z0X.jpg

fmV1jym.jpg

CbNBlR4.jpg

Sorry if I've ruined her for any of you.

kaiju

Day 4: Fright Night Part II (1988)

MPW-39130

The first Fright Night is my 2nd favorite vampire movie behind The Lost Boys, and I had never seen the sequel until today. It was great to see the same actors come together and pick up where they left off, although Evil Ed is sorely missed. Charley's girlfriend Amy is nowhere to be seen either, but he now has the hotter Alex to keep him company.

Basically after three years of therapy Charley is convinced that vampires don't exist and the events of the first film where the result of his overactive imagination from dealing with a serial killer neighbor. A mysterious woman named Regine begins to seduce Charley, and before you know it he is up to his neck in vampires again. It's up to Charley and vampire killer Peter Vincent to destroy these bloodsuckers once and for all.

And wow, this was a great sequel. It captured the vibe of the first film while introducing new characters and plot twists to keep things interesting. The acting and special effects were even better this time. Whereas The Lost Boys had taken some elements from the first Fright Night, this one took some elements from The Lost Boys, using a similar style of vampire and using POV flight scenes. Hard to say this one eclipsed the first film, but it's definitely one of the better sequels and if you enjoyed Fright Night I highly recommend Part II.

yami4ct

October 4th-Event Horizon (Film 4)

Was in the mood for some Sci-Fi horror so I thought I'd give this a shot.

The first thing you can't help but notice is how incredibly dated the film looks. Any of the CG effects that have to deal with zero gravity or fire are just hilariously terrible. There's also some really goofy foley work going on. I tried to not let this get in the way of my enjoyment, to be fair it's mot entirely the film's fault, but it's hard not to. Some of it is so goofy it just cuts the tension and horror of a scene to pieces.

That being said, I did like quite a bit of the film. The concept is a compelling one. I love the idea of this group of people not fighting a person or creature, but an inanimate idea. The ship itself being the enemy is deeply frightening on a whole host of levels. It creates something that's impossible to push back against, and for the most part it works. It also helps that a lot of the film's gorier effects are practical and still deeply disturbing.

That all leads up to the thing I liked most about the film, the set and prop work. The film does an amazing job of mixing sci-fi design with a sort of gothic, medieval satanistic flare. It's a mix that really makes the ship feel far more disturbing than it otherwise would. The ship feels futuristic and foreign, yet somehow ancient and deeply evil. Nothing demonstrates this better than the design of the gravity engine itself. The floating rings surrounding a spiky ball seems sci-fi, yet also feels like a device that could have been pulled from hell itself. It works well to the film's advantage.

Overall, when the film works, it really works. It's an incredibly great concept held back by dated effects work. The terror of the situation does manage to shine through in parts, and when that does happen it's something to see.

7/10

Tucker-and-dale-vs-evil.jpg

Oct. 3rd - Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Short and sweet, this film was fucking fantastic and completely caught me off guard. I honestly wasn't expecting too much merely due to the fact that well, you really never heard about it. Why? I have no idea as it really is brilliant and was probably overshadowed by Cabin in the Woods. Almost EVERYTHING that happens deliberately goes against what you're expecting and I loved that about it. I won't spoil thing else. If you are a long time horror fan who is very familiar with all the tropes, cliches, standards, etc., this is a film you NEED to see ASAP

8/10

Theatrical_Release_Poster_of_Film.jpg

Oct. 4th - REC 3: Genesis

I was a little concerned because you honestly didn't hear too much fanfare about this one. I love the first two, but I was okay with learning that this was traditionally shot and honestly it's a better film because of it.
It's an awesome/great looking flick that has some STUNNING shots that the theatrical poster alludes to, but is sadly abandoned too quickly, which is a bummer. Also, did I mention that as I Puerto Rican, I was jealous of how gorgeous everyone in Spain seemingly is? lol. Sure it had a few misses with it's attempts at humor early on, but eventually it hits a great stride with some wicked horror moments/kills. The finale reminds you also of what series you're watching, that's for sure!
Seriously though, this film made me psyched for the finale installment.

8/10

Linkhero1

I'm think I'll be viewing [REC] 2 tomorrow.

I just finished Sleepaway Camp. Holy shit. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much and the twist, though it was heavily hinted, was amazing. That face lmao

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just don't expect REC 1 or 2 and you'll be fine :)

Not to worry, I have low expectations already lol.

I'm think I'll be viewing [REC] 2 tomorrow.

I just finished Sleepaway Camp. Holy shit. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much and the twist, though it was heavily hinted, was amazing. That face lmao

Do yourself a favor, and listen to the "How Did This Get Made?" episode on Sleepaway Camp. You will laugh your ass off.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Listening. Man. I enjoyed the movie way too much.

Same here. I remember when my buddy told me we should watch it, since I never even heard about it. But he told me the movie is crap until the haunting image. Do I told him to skip to the last scene then. Refused to because it wouldn't have had the same effect.

He was totally right lol. You have to endure the movie for the payoff. Since then though, I have come to love the movie. I haven't seen the sequels, but I doubt they are as good.

Linkhero1

Same here. I remember when my buddy told me we should watch it, since I never even heard about it. But he told me the movie is crap until the haunting image. Do I told him to skip to the last scene then. Refused to because it wouldn't have had the same effect.

He was totally right lol. You have to endure the movie for the payoff. Since then though, I have come to love the movie. I haven't seen the sequels, but I doubt they are as good.

This is true. I've seen the image thrown around on gaf many times before, but I never understood it. The build up to the final scene was worth it.

I almost want to say that's the first troll face.

#4 The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Oct 4

First of all I am not really into musicals. And this is indeed a horror show for a straight man. Now I know how Stanley felt when he chose the wrong door in the second feature of LEXX. Giggerota's role was reprised by Meatloaf who basically stole the movie.

aFIGurANT

# 4 - Apollo 18
Apollo_18_Poster.jpg

There's not much positive about this film beyond some marginal kudos for an innovative premise that didn't quite achieve the highs you'd hope for. I felt that the being in space aspect of the plot was pretty much nullified by a lack of enforcement in the script that Yes We Are Stranded on the MOON of all Places, and that's really where the film only starts to fall apart. Later on it's revealed that the whole setup is just a ploy by shadowy government officials and that the monster at the end of an hour of prologue is
a rock-alien-species
. I could go on but let's just let it suffice that a lack of depth and heart hurt this film badly.

#5 - Sinister
images

There's a good amount to say about why this movie is so great, but GhaleonEB sort of summed up my feelings in his review a few pages back: Ghaleon's review.

However I do have to add that this movie truly left me feeling sort of disturbed and definitely paranoid about just what satanic cults are capable of (even if my fear is mostly confined to what they get up to in these horrible movies). Watching this at midnight in the dark was the sort of thing that you're told not to do as a kid - this shit is not for the faint of heart or those who have a fear of serial killer antagonists. Otherwise, though, this was a very well-acted, well-directed film that I could see gaining a sort of cult following in the future if it hits Netflix or the like.

Well I decided to go out and have some drinks with friends, and as a result I wasn't able to type my review for last nights viewing or watch my Day 4 pick. I feel like I've cheated on my girlfriend or something. I'll make it up tomorrow with a double feature.

Booser

I could see gaining a sort of cult following in the future if it hits Netflix or the like

Its on the UK/Ireland Netflix.

OCT 4th - The Awakening (2011)

A spiritulist debunker takes on a job to explain away the haunting of a boys boarding school. Creepiness ensues.

This was pretty good, it struck me a bit like Downton Abbey : The Halloween Special. It also gave me serious The Others vibes too. Some very clever scenes even if it never actually reached the point of being scary. The parts where the main character is setting up her ghost hunting equipment felt like a 1920's paranormal reality show, I was half expecting the scene to plunge into flourescent green night vision. To talk about the ending in any way though would be spoilerific seing as there are so many twists and turns. Let's just say I found it pretty satisfying.

haikira

*Title* = First time watching
2013gwult.jpg

Click any movie below for my "review"

01 American Mary 3.5/5
02 Evil Dead (2013) 3.5/5
03 Session 9 4/5

04 V/H/S 3.5/5
I agree with Kermode that it's very chauvinistic and it feels more exploitive, rather than condemning. The framed narrative wasn't great and there were a few weak links, but I appreciate the creativity for the most part and it was nice to have the variety with found footage, rather than just staring at furniture for two hours. I definitely enjoyed some of tapes, especially the last. Overall, a mixed bag, but I'm glad I watched it.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 4 - The Beast Must Die (1974)

Thebeastmustdie.jpg

The Beast Must Die (1974) - Trying to dig up 31 worthy werewolf movies means you're likely to run across the odd turkey, and this one qualifies. Imagine a groovy '70s take on The Most Dangerous Game, where Shaft plays the roll of Count Zarkov and Baron Frankenstein and Ernst Stavro Blofeld are on the guest list. Oh, and the titular most dangerous game is no longer Man but a werewolf, in this case a werewolf played somewhat jauntily by a German Shepard wearing your mother's silver fox stole (don't believe the poster art - we never see any comprehensive full-face wolf makeup here)... Well, that kind of describes this clumsy Amicus programmer; in fact, it probably describes it well enough that you needn't bother seeing it. Did I mention that it's presented by the introductory narrator as a mystery? Toward the end, the audience is invited to guess who the werewolf is during a 30 second "Werewolf Break", though I can't imagine anyone really cares by that point... Yes, really. I'm not kidding.

ASPHYX,_THE.JPG

4. The Asphyx (Netflix)

Maybe the Atlantic divide explains the fact that The Asphyx came out in the same year as The Exorcist. The Asphyx feels like a Hammer horror film: it's somber, Gothic, and more moody than glory. The Exoricst captured the fear of children that arose from the backlash to the '60s and represented a change back to the serious and seriously visceral after the more goofy creature features that dominated the 1950s and defined horror even through the 1960s, the decade that gave us Psycho, Carnival of Souls, The Birds, Rosemary's Baby, and Night of the Living Dead.

Robert Stephens's Sir Hugo Cunningham's motivation reminded me of Roderick Burgess's motivation in Neil Gaiman's Sandman #1: both men sought immortality by arresting the natural forces of death. Unlike Burgess, Cunningham's plan actually works, but Cunningham comes to learn that nothing in the supernatural world comes without a cost. And since stopping the cycle of life and death is a pretty significant event, the price Cunningham has to pay is fittingly great as well.

I appreciate that the show doesn't seem to condemn Cunningham for his explorations into the supernatural. It accepts that he is a man of science and leisure; his explorations are a hobby, so the corrupting influence of commerce is removed from consideration altogether. Cunningham's downfall is a result of his hubris, a classic cause of a character's ruin. Robert Stephens wrings every bit of melodrama he can from the character, and it's fun to watch him play off of Robert Powell's quieter performance as Cunningham's adopted son, Giles Cunningham.

The last 15 minutes is a great sequence of the clockwork plot coming to its natural conclusion, and the framing device raises questions about Cunningham's fate. None of it should come as a surprise; instead, the satisfaction comes from the execution, which was very effective. It felt like a very lush episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits, and I enjoyed the special effects for the titular asphyxes. The Asphyx is not a landmark horror film, but it is an enjoyable one, though not a particularly scary one.

devenger

Oct 4: The Abominable Dr Phibes - hmm, I don't even know if i can give it a score. We enjoyed it, but mostly it's abominableness. Pretty bad, but if you're in the mood for a MST3K movie, it works? Can a zero grade be a compliment? 0/10

2. Jacob's ladder (1990)

215px-Jacobsladderposter.jpg

An interesting horror film, more of a drama with some scary atmosphere mixed into it. Tim Robbins, as a Vietnam veteran suffering from PTSD and hallucinations, plays superbly well. There are pretty timid and boring moments where you kind of have to grind through but worth watching if you are into a story with religious undertones,interested in a character's psychological mindset and some creepy vibes.
Good watch but wish it had more wild visions.

6/10

Metalmarc

#4 Curse of Chucky 2013
7/10

This one actually wasnt too bad, took it back to the the roots of theseries kind of, more like a horror film rather than the comedy of the two films that preceeded it, i really enjoyed it, Yes its direct to dvd (bluray/vod etc) and it shows, but its actually alright.
If you hated seed youll probably enjoy this one.

sophora

1. The Grey
MV5BNDY4MTQwMzc1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzcwNTM5Ng@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

The movie was a fine survival suspense movie despite the dislike I've seen around it. Liam Neeson's dialogue and the antagonists are the highlights for me. 3/5

2. Silent Hill: Revelation
MV5BMjE4Mjc2NjAyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA3MzE2OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

I saw the first Silent Hill last year for my 31 Days of Halloween list so I figured to watch this one. Drawing a bit more content from the video games, it was interesting to see more of Silent Hill but it still felt like it didn't really represent the monsters well enough. There are obvious 3D scenes that broke the immersion quite a bit. Recommend if you want an adequate video game movie, but don't expect much. 2/5

Ridley327

The Grey's audience response is a really fascinating example of how advertising can really color your expectations for a film. They spent so much time trying to make it look like Neeson's Euroschlock action films that it does a massive discredit to its true aims. People wanted Taken with wolves, and they sure as hell did not get that.

Really damn good film, though. It's probably the first time in perhaps forever that a film makes wolves out to be the massive, scary son-of-bitches that they really are.

Top Bottom