• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling for AMD cards is now possible

Pro

Posted this question in a different thread but no response. Anyone care to weigh in?

Does anyone know what the best catalyst driver version for a 7970 is? I am having display crashes in-game in Guild Wars 2 that take about 5-10 seconds to recover. BF3 occasionally will have the display crash altogether. Seems to work fine when I have the card at default speeds, but if I OC it even just a little I experience these display crashes. The OC should be fine as well. I've only maxed out at 65 Degrees C so I'm leaning towards it being a driver issue. Currently on 13.2 Beta 7 but it wouldn't work on 13.4 or 13.6 Beta either. Or do I need to up the voltage when I OC?

Pro

Update. I've stabalized the OC on my 7970 by upping the voltage to 1219 and the power to +10. Currently running GPU at 1100MHz and Memory Clock at 1500MHz. Highest temp was 71 Degrees.

I still can't get any resolutions higher than 1700p to work. My monitor is native 16:10. I tried an 1800p resolution at a 30Hz refresh rate but it came out fuzzy. Does anyone have the exact settings for a Custom 4K resolution built in the Downsampling GUI? Do I have to play with the refresh rate and other options more?

Shaneus

Well, sounds like the new driver (13.8) that fixes frame latency now breaks even the workaround to get downsampling working. Boo.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
How is this different from the Supersampling AA option? That also renders at a higher res and scales down.

Shaneus

How is this different from the Supersampling AA option? That also renders at a higher res and scales down.
This is less "expensive" because it's your monitor that does the scaling in this case, not any of the hardware.

Moot point anyways, the original tool doesn't work with the latest drivers, workaround or not.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This is less "expensive" because it's your monitor that does the scaling in this case, not any of the hardware.

Moot point anyways, the original tool doesn't work with the latest drivers, workaround or not.
It's as hardware intensive as conventional SSAA. The game is rendered at the higher resolution and downsampled by the monitor (essentially a form of ordered grid super sampling). It's just compatible with more games (in theory).

Shaneus

It's as hardware intensive as conventional SSAA. The game is rendered at the higher resolution and downsampled by the monitor (essentially a form of ordered grid super sampling). It's just compatible with more games (in theory).
Really? I've always had much better performance with downsampling than super-sampling at the equivalent rate. Sure there's no difference? (Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea what the technicalities are behind it, just going from first-hand experience)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Really? I've always had much better performance with downsampling than super-sampling at the equivalent rate. Sure there's no difference? (Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea what the technicalities are behind it, just going from first-hand experience)
There are some optimizations with modern implementations of SSAA (and even more with SGSSAA), but 2xSSAA is roughly equivalent to twice the horizontal and vertical resolution. That's similar to the jump from 1080p to a 4k resolution. The main difference is that the monitor is doing the pixel blending with downsampling.

OGSSAA and downsampling are the same thing.

red731

so i can do it on my 1080p monitor? Doesn't have to be 1440p?

Yes you can. Hence why it is called downsampling.

You can "sample" greater resolution "down" to your resolution which gives greater detail, less aliasing and will propably kill your performace :D

pottuvoi

Banned
Is there a difference between FSAA and SSAA? Or is it two different names for the same thing?
Full Scene Anti Aliasing was a marketing term that 3dfx used for their version of SSAA. (which was accumulation buffer based SSAA.)
There are some optimizations with modern implementations of SSAA (and even more with SGSSAA), but 4xSSAA is roughly equivalent to twice the horizontal and vertical resolution. That's similar to the jump from 1080p to a 4k resolution. The main difference is that the monitor is doing the pixel blending with downsampling.
Fixed it for you..

2xSSAA would be equivalent to 1.5x horizontal and vertical or 2x in one direction.

Shaneus

Fixed it for you..

2xSSAA would be equivalent to 1.5x horizontal and vertical or 2x in one direction.
Ahhh.... that explains why I've always had better performance with downsampling over SSAA. I was effectively running at 1.333 SSAA as I was downsampling from 1440p to 1080p.

Is that a valid value for SSAA or is it only positive integers?

pottuvoi

Banned
Ahhh.... that explains why I've always had better performance with downsampling over SSAA. I was effectively running at 1.333 SSAA as I was downsampling from 1440p to 1080p.
Calulate using total amount of pixels as the NxSSAA is about samples per pixel.
(2560*1440)/(1920*1080)=1.78 xSSAA
Is that a valid value for SSAA or is it only positive integers?
Yes, it's valid value.
When hardware uses SSAA it's traditional to use integers ie. 2 samples for a pixel, this makes it easier to filter the results to screen. (having 2 samples to average for all pixels.)

Sullichin

So...
Upgraded my HD7870 to an HD7950.

- Installed new card
- Did the driver sweep.
- Installed 12.6
- Ran downsampling utility, everything's fine.
- Driver sweep.
- Installed 13.8 beta drivers.
- Now my 2560x1440 option is gone.

What did I do wrong? Or does this method not work when upgrading to 13.8? I will try the same method with 13.6 I guess.
EDIT: Didn't see the post on this page that the latest driver breaks it. Well fuck.
EDIT2: Yeah, works fine when upgrading back to 13.6 and not 13.8.

Shaneus

Did you install the last one (the first one with frame pacing)? That was the first to break downsampling for a lot of people (I thought everyone, maybe I'm mistaken).

I can't get this to work. The resolutions show up as available but whenever I choose them I get an "Input Out of Range" Display error on my monitor until I escape back.

jediyoshi

AMD DOWNSAMPLING LIVES
(testing on 13.11 beta1)

You want the zip from here and follow instructions until it talks about registry editing
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9957265#post9957265

When I ran list.bat, it gave me adapterindex 0 and displayindex 5, so in the next step when you edit the values in customresolution.txt, I made those 0 and 5.

After that, I backed up my registry (just in case) and searched for ModeTimingOverrides (which led to ModeTimingOverrides_DVI_Conn12802 for me) and opened up the modify window

Check here
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9959536#post9959536

Click on spoiler under the setup you have and want to check the values and just match them up (they're all in order)

Rebooted and it's golden

Lime

The hex editing is too complicated. I have numerous reg entries and none of them are specificed by the listed categories in question

jediyoshi

The hex editing is too complicated. I have numerous reg entries and none of them are specificed by the listed categories in question

In the Registry Editor window -> Edit -> Find 'ModeTimingOverrides'

Right click 'ModeTimingOverrides<stuff>' -> Modify

In here look for your native resolution @ what you're going up to

Then go down the list in order, the first is for example

'Width
80 07 to 00 0A'

So find the first instance of 80 (should be on the first line), double click it, and type 00. Then double click 07 and type 0a. Etc

Lime

Yeah, I know how to do it, it's just that I have not only multiple instance of ModeTimingOverridesXXXX, but also multiple instances of the required editable numbers within the same entry. It's just too much work for me at the moment.

Irobot82

In the Registry Editor window -> Edit -> Find 'ModeTimingOverrides'

Right click 'ModeTimingOverrides<stuff>' -> Modify

In here look for your native resolution @ what you're going up to

Then go down the list in order, the first is for example

'Width
80 07 to 00 0A'

So find the first instance of 80 (should be on the first line), double click it, and type 00. Then double click 07 and type 0a. Etc

Are those numbers for 1440p?

Pro

Would this mean I could finally achieve 4K resolution? I could never get it with the Downsampling GUI before even though my card supports it.

Irobot82

Hmmmm doesn't work for me. I get an error that says Windoes could not change your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution.

So roughly translating the forum, the guy said for windows 8 I need a modified monitor driver? He said something about running it with the disabled driver signature.

Pro

Hmmmm doesn't work for me. I get an error that says Windoes could not change your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution.

So roughly translating the forum, the guy said for windows 8 I need a modified monitor driver? He said something about running it with the disabled driver signature.

That error is because you need to uncheck the box under Monitor Settings to "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display".

solved46b0f.jpg

Otherwise you'll get this error

deniedbcxbj.jpg

You can check the OP for a more complete explanation.

Irobot82

That error is because you need to uncheck the box under Monitor Settings to "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display".

solved46b0f.jpg

Otherwise you'll get this error

deniedbcxbj.jpg

You can check the OP for a more complete explanation.

Thanks it's working now!

Schlomo

AMD DOWNSAMPLING LIVES

Thank you for the instructions, I got it working! I had trouble finding the correct hex values in the registry first, but after changing the desktop to the fake resolution (1920x1081 in my case) first, they appeared. In case OP wants to update I would add that step for clarification.

Bloodsent

When I try to run the Create_Custom_Resolution.bat file after modifying the CustomResolution.txt file, I get:

ERROR: ADL_Display_ModeTimingOverride_Set() failed!

Am I doing something wrong?

Here is what I have in my CustomResolution.txt

AdapterIndex 0
DisplayIndex 10
TimingStandard 1
PossibleStandard 14
RefreshRate 120
Width 1920
Height 1081
TimingFlags 0
HTotal 0
HDisplay 0
HSyncStart 0
HSyncWidth 0
VTotal 0
VDisplay 0
VSyncStart 0
VSyncWidth 0
PixelClock 0
HOverscanRight 0
HOverscanLeft 0
VOverscanBottom 0
VOverscanTop 0

Bloodsent

When I try to run the Create_Custom_Resolution.bat file after modifying the CustomResolution.txt file, I get:

Ok, so it looks like it had something to do with me setting the refresh rate to 120 instead of 60 (I have a 120hz monitor). So while I was able to set a custom 1440p resolution, it is only at 60hz. Haven't been able to figure out how to get it to 120hz.

wizzbang

Banned
This thread is actually further proof that 4k displays (output 4k, not internal rendering 4k) is mostly meaningless. There's a lot more work that can be done at existing resolutions.

Some of these shots look quite good.

The same happens for me with a 60hz 1080p screen, any tips? :/

EDIT: I got a bit further, the process went through with 57hz, anything above wouldn't work so I just went on with this and 2560x1440 is now listed under Windows however if I try to select and Apply it changes to 1920x1200. If I try to set 2560x1440 afterwards again I get the famous "Windows could not set your display to that resolution error."

Now I know this is usually related to the checkbox "Hide modes this monitor can't display." However while the checkbox is already unticked the whole part of the dialog is grayed out and I can't seem to find a solution :(

EDIT 2: A new monitor-driver helped, 1440p running now :D

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ok, so it looks like it had something to do with me setting the refresh rate to 120 instead of 60 (I have a 120hz monitor). So while I was able to set a custom 1440p resolution, it is only at 60hz. Haven't been able to figure out how to get it to 120hz.

This is my beef using a lightboost monitor and don't know how to make it go to 120hz or 100hz.

jediyoshi big thanks for the guide and it took shorter than it did with my gtx 460. This 7950 is too awesome.

Top Bottom