• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

18_House_zps70a431e0.jpg

18) House (1986) (Oct 19) (rewatch)

Here's my first rewatch of the marathon. I saw this one waaaay back when I was a kid in the 80s or possibly the very early 90s and all I could remember was Richard Moll as Big Ben. I was reminded of it during last year's marathon grabbed the DVDs for this year's viewing. I did remember bits and pieces as I watched, but enough of it felt new to keep my interest.

I really enjoyed House. It may not be the best overall quality movie I've seen this marathon, but I think for pure fun, this one is in the lead. It just never stops with the monster effects and gags so there's very little downtime and the cast is charming as hell. I guess it does lose a bit of steam during the last act, but I still had a great time with it.

NORM!!!

19_HouseII_zps38ffda8f.jpg

19) House II: The Second Story (1987) (Oct 19)

And then they made a sequel. I didn't think I saw this, but as I got watching some of it was familiar. Mainly the
prehistoric jungle that appears in the house and the catterpuppy
. I don't recall anything from the opening or the ending though, so it's possible I only saw the middle and I'm not going to consider it a rewatch.

House II actually has quite a bit in common with Return of the Living Dead 2 as they both start a new story and go for a more silly, comedic approach. It's a strange beast. It did have some laughs and cool monster/makeup effects so it held my interest. I didn't care for the ending though and I wished John Ratzenberger had a bigger part since he was by far the best thing in it.

Overall it was decent, but I kind of like Return of the Living Dead 2 too so you probably shouldn't use me as a recommendation :)

So is House IV worth watching at all? Is the guy who played Paul on Cheers in it?

Final Viewed List:
01) The Birds (1963) (Oct 1)
02) Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego (1972) (Oct2)

03) Return of the Evil Dead/El ataque de los muertos sin ojos (1973) (1963) (Oct 3)
04) The Ghost Galleon/El buque maldito (1974) (Oct 4)
05) Night of the Seagulls/La Noche de las gaviotas (1975) (Oct 5)
06) Blood and Black Lace/Sei donne per l'assassino (1964)
07) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage/L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (1970)
08) A Lizard in a Woman's Skin/Una lucertola con la pelle di donna (1971) (Oct 8)
09) What Have You Done to Solange?/Cosa avete fatto a Solange (1972) (Oct 9)
10) Don't Torture a Duckling/Non si sevizia un paperino (1972) (Oct 10)
11) Watch Me When I Kill/Il gatto dagli occhi di giada (1977) (Oct 11)
12) StageFright: Aquarius/Deliria (1987) (Oct 12)
13) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) (Oct 13)
14) The Howling (1981) (Oct 15)
15) The Howling II ...Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1983) (Oct 16)
16) Happy Birthday to Me (1981) (Oct 17)
17) April Fool's Day (1986) (Oct 18)
18) House (1986) (Oct 19) (rewatch)
19) House II: The Second Story (1987) (Oct 19)

Ridley327

I'm looking forward to see if there are any movies you changed your mind on and why this upcoming week.

Also; The Devil is indeed marvelous.

I hope so, too. There's at least one film this week I do fully expect to change my mind on, but I'll explain more about that later.

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 V/H/S 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic
Oct. 11 Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Fantastic
Oct. 12 Ringu - Good
Oct. 13 V/H/S - Good
Oct. 14 Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Great
Oct. 15 The Cabin in the Woods - Great
Oct. 16 Maniac (2012) - Great
Oct. 17 Fright Night (1985) - Great
Oct. 18 [REC] 2 - Great
Oct. 19 The Mist - Great

The Mist - I didn't feel like this was much of a horror film. Felt more like a science fiction mystery. But, it was a great movie worth watching. Stephen King has a sick mind. It was nice seeing some of The Walking Dead cast. The ending was pretty dark and left an impact so brace yourselves.

October 19th

Film number 36: The Horseman
Tagline: He has some questions.

Opening thoughts: I know nothing about this film. It’s a NetflixUK horror lucky dip.

vW6U4Ot.png

Closing thoughts: One of the best revenge movies I’ve ever seen. An absolute classic, built around a sensational central performance from Peter Marshall as the grieving father out to avenge his daughter’s death. It’s a serious, mournful, violent and touching film, and is highly recommended.

Score: 9 out of 10. Another resounding win for the Austrailian horror movie industry.

Film number 37: The Crazies.
Tagline: Fear thy neighbour.

Opening thoughts: Breaking the ‘no remakes’ rule I set myself for this month with this one. And the ‘nothing I’ve seen before’ rule.

HBtZzfJ.png

Closing thoughts: This is one of the best remakes of recent years. Not quite up there with Alexandre Aja’s ‘The Hills Have Eyes’, but close. This is probably the third time I’ve seen it – my wife was bugging me to delete it from the Sky box. It’s exciting and gory and appeals to my inner paranoid conspiracy theorist.

Score: 7 out of 10. Crazy like a fox.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)
October 14 - Citadel (8.5/10) Sawney: Flesh of Man (7.5/10)
October 15 - The Midnight Meat Train (6.5/10) Static (6/10)
October 16 - The Pact (8.5/10)
October 17 - Rites of Spring (3/10)
October 18 - Frankenstein's Army (7.5/10) War of the Dead (7/10)

MattyH

day 20 - Event Horizon
MPW-53388

this film even now scares the shit out of me ive heard is described as hellraiser in space and id say its close to that

#28 Snuff (1976)
5864138707_2edc4fc5ca.jpg

- Piece of crap grindhouse flick which got some fame in the 70's due to the marketing attempt behind it to make it seem that this movie actually contained snuff in it. It's just a crappy drug/gang violence grindhouse flick, made in Argentina. For US distribution they shot some extra footage to slap onto the end and it's what they used for their marketing push as if the film contained a real death on film. Since it was a South American made film, they used that as part of the marketing as how they got away with it since there apparently are no rules down there..... lol. The movie feels like two unrelated films that eventually come together where a Manson family rip off take out a rich household of people. The "twist" comes when the ending of the film switches to a more documentary feel where they wrap filming the ending, which is supposed to turn into the film crew killing an actress and mutilating her. People had to be really stupid to believe any of this, and the effects were a joke.

October 20th

Film number 38: A Horrible Way To Die

Opening thoughts: Another Netflix recommendation

WHf24mu.png

Closing thoughts: This could be a good little serial killer prison escape revenge story with an interesting wrinkle. The story is well done and the acting is uniformly excellent. So why do the film-makers feel the need to cock everything up by filming in nauseating shakicam so much? Why must so many transitions between shots be an arty-farty blurry mess? Why is the wrong thing in focus for no good reason in so many shots? What rhyme or reason is there to the multiple flash backs/forwards being presented in such seemingly random fashion when it would have been more powerful to show many of the out-of-order sequences chronologically? It’s not cool. It’s not ‘edgy’. It’s not a great metaphor for the confusion one character’s alcoholism brings down upon her. It just makes you look like you don’t have any confidence in your actors or the script. Seriously, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a film where the director appeared to be actively trying to distract the viewer from continuing to watch.

Score: 5 out of 10. Docked at least three points for all the cinematographical twattery and cack-handed direction.

Film number 39: Dark Skies
Tagline: Once you’ve been chosen you belong to them

Opening thoughts: I’m not sure if this really counts as horror. For today’s purposes I’m going to pretend it does.

AR8j0en.png

Closing thoughts: Well, it is definitely more sci-fi than horror, but it is spooky, and there’s a couple of gruesome moments. And the concept of alien abduction is pretty bloody horrible. As a big X-files fan I enjoyed this a lot, but I thought the
look we can maybe have a sequel
ending was a bit silly.

Score: 7 out of 10. I want to believe.

Watched so far:
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 19 - The Horseman (9/10) The Crazies (7/10)

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 20 - Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1961)

Werewolfgirlsdormitory.jpg

Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1961) - aka Lycanthropus, The Ghoul in School & I Married a Werewolf, this Italian B movie gem is actually a lot better than the title might suggest, and though still a long walk from being a good picture, it is on the better side of Italian output from the period, and pretty good fun. The mystery of "who is the werewolf" is played out to the very end, with plenty of suspicion to go around amongst the staff and students of a school for wayward girls. The film is well structured and never gets boring, despite the traditional translation issues around the mediocre dub (eg: "Mary was just assassinated. No one will convince me she was torn up by wolves!" - curiously, everyone says "assassinated" rather than "murdered" throughout the movie). If you've a taste for old school drive-in fare, you'll enjoy this.

The list so far - werewolves or bust!
October
  1. Bad Moon (1996)
  2. Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (2012)
  3. I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957)
  4. The Beast Must Die (1974)
  5. Werewolf of London (1935)
  6. The Wolfman (2010)
  7. Silver Bullet (1985)
  8. Fury of the Wolfman (1970)
  9. Never Cry Werewolf (2008)
  10. The Wolf Man (1941)
  11. Werewolves on Wheels (1971)
  12. Werewolf Fever (2009)
  13. The Undying Monster (1942)
  14. Ginger Snaps (2001)
  15. Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed (2004)
  16. Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning (2004)
  17. Moon of the Wolf (1972)
  18. Skinwalkers (2006)
  19. The Company of Wolves (1984)
  20. Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1961)

20. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

I simply cannot have a Halloween movie marathon without this.

10/10
Agreed... Fortunately, there's lots of Chaney's Wolfman throughout the film - makes it pretty easy to justify for me! :)

So is House IV worth watching at all? Is the guy who played Paul on Cheers in it?

Do not watch House IV under any circumstances. I saw it when I was still relatively young and liked just about anything, and even then I thought it was terrible. And unfortunately Paul is not in it. Not even Phil. They couldn't even get the guy who always wore a sweater and usually hung around in the background and occasionally had a line of dialogue once every season.

Amazon's lost The Wicker Man from its Prime Instant library, so I need a replacement. Should I watch American Mary, The Signal, Megan Is Missing, or Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door?

WorldStar

Banned
How big is your collection? You should set up a little mock video store in your basement like James Rolfe.

I still have all my tapes, but they're in storage at my parents house so I can't do anything cool. I don't have nearly enough either though.

I've dramatically reduced the size of my collection due to moving to yet even a smaller apartment. I should be purchasing a house in the not too distant future and I already let the S.O. know that it better have a basement and if so, I'm turning it into my man cave. Will at that point definitely re-build up my collection, although I try to stick to out of print horror. And I have some distributors I prefer over others, so that plays a big roll too.

Actually hit up some thrift stores today and fond this gem on vhs...

hider-in-the-house-vestron-vhs-front.jpg

hah, I seriously had no clue Gary Busey did a horror movie.

Amazon's lost The Wicker Man from its Prime Instant library, so I need a replacement. Should I watch American Mary, The Signal, Megan Is Missing, or Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door?

Haven't seen Megan Is Missing. Can't go wrong with the others though (don't really remember The Girl Next Door all that well)

1/3 of The Signal is more so a black comedy, so that is a decent choice if you want something more lighthearted.

I'm a fan of American Mary, I really like Katharine Isabelle and I found the film to be a refreshing addition to the horror genre.

Like I said don't remember The Girl Next Door that well but I believe American Mary and The Signal are better choices.

20_TheNest_zps62905b54.jpg

20) The Nest (1988) (Oct 20)

Here's one I discovered because of Scream Factory's blu-ray release. I don't really have too much to say about it.

The Nest is basically just your typical 80s or classic drive-in creature feature. If you've seen the Blob remake, you know what to expect - only with mutant roaches this time. It's enjoyable enough, but never really excels at anything.

It has some pretty good practical effects of various things being consumed and some more elaborate effects towards the end, but the effects pale in comparison to movies like the Fly and Blob remakes which were released around the same time. To be fair though, I'm sure those two had a much higher budget.

day 20 - Event Horizon

this film even now scares the shit out of me ive heard is described as hellraiser in space and id say its close to that

But there already is a Hellraiser in spaaaaaaaaace.

Funny how Event Horizon turns out to be the better Hellraiser of the two.

Do not watch House IV under any circumstances. I saw it when I was still relatively young and liked just about anything, and even then I thought it was terrible. And unfortunately Paul is not in it. Not even Phil. They couldn't even get the guy who always wore a sweater and usually hung around in the background and occasionally had a line of dialogue once every season.

That's too bad. Not even for camp value? The trailer has a demonic pizza! No Paul hurts though.

Actually hit up some thrift stores today and fond this gem on vhs...

http://cultmoviecabal.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/hider-in-the-house-vestron-vhs-front.jpg

hah, I seriously had no clue Gary Busey did a horror movie.

Scariest thing I've seen all week. I'd shit myself if there was a Busey outside of my window.

matt360

#17 - Lords of Salem
UsJ925J.jpg

Man, what a disappointment. This movie went absolutely nowhere, which is a real shame because I do think it had a few things going for it. I liked the cast and this was probably my favorite performance by Sherri Moon Zombie that I've seen. There was some cool imagery, but not to the level that I've come to expect from Rob Zombie. It basically felt like a collection of scenes that loosely resembled some kind of half-assed, bare-bones story. This is by far my least favorite Rob Zombie flick. 2/10

#18 - Trick 'r Treat
08Bjc8f.jpg

This movie, on the other hand, was fucking awesome. I can't believe I'd never even heard of it until this thread. Trick 'r Treat was not particularly scary, but it was pure bliss to watch. It took me straight back to my childhood while still appealing to my adult sensibilities. I've seen people in here say that this movie is required annual viewing around Halloween, and I must agree. I will probably watch this movie every year from now on, just like I watch Bad Santa and Home Alone around Christmas every year.

The sets were amazing, with the overcast skies, fall leaves, Jack-o-lanterns, and white picket fence houses; it was the perfect setting for an anthology like this. And speaking of Bad Santa, motherfuckin' Therman Murman even makes an appearance in this movie! I loved it. 9/10

Reanimator_poster.png

Oct 17th - Reanimator

"I was busy pushing bodies around as you well know and what would a note say, Dan?... Cat dead, details later"?

Rewatch from last year and pretty much a yearly tradition along with Return of the Living Dead and Rocky Horror
Definitive horror classic right here and it's a damn shame Herbert West didn't become a huge cult name like Ash.

9/10

The_Bay_%28film%29.jpg

Oct 18th - The Bay

Okay now imagine the piece of shit that is the VHS series.... now imagine The Bay being the complete opposite
This is how you do found footage horror. Why this film didn't get more recognition? I'm guess because it was already a bit late in a way over-saturated market, so I imagine most just wrote it off.
A wonderful sense of dread just permeates this film the entire way. It slowly builds and builds and by the time it's over, you'll be creeped the fuck out.
Imagine if Contagion was done as a more centralized horror film

8/10

House_II_poster.jpg

Oct 19th - House 2

"Yup, There it is.... Looks like you've got some kinda alternate universe in there or somethin'"

As stated earlier in the thread, this one is the furthest thing from a horror film at this point, sans a few ghouls. That being said, the 8 year old boy in me came flying right out all over again upon rewatching this (had it recorded on VHS when I was young). And that's really what it is, a fun little culmination of 80's experimentation that you can't help but route for by the time it's over. They don't make 'em like this anymore.
I still LOVE the design of the crystal skull featured in it. Bill Maher is, well Bill Maher here and it's great. John Ratzenberger's Bill Tanner, "Electrician and Adventurer" feels like a character that should have got his own movie.
I would later in life learn it was actually written by Night of the Creeps/The Monster Squad alum Fred Dekker.
What can I say, I got a huge heart for this one :)

7/10

404px-The-pact-poster.jpg

Oct 19th - The Pact

This one made me fall asleep actually.... then again, maybe it was the Vodka, I dunno

Anyway, it's alright. It's got some decent freaky parts but for the most part, it's very simple premise that's just stretched too thin.
It's up on Netflix though, so you could do alot worse if you need something to watch

6/10

NightoftheCometPoster.jpg

NightOfTheComet.jpg

Oct 20th - Night of the Comet (This is up entirely on YouTube!)

THIS is what 31 days of horror is all about!

The 80s horror gem that evidently time completely forgot. This film is fucking awesome.
I only somewhat heard about it in the past, mostly due to it's great title, but never was inclined to check it out.
Funnily enough I found out it's on YouTube and what can I say? The 80s baby in me was geeking out over it, but the post-apocalyptic fan in me was also completely smitten as I was realizing I've just discovered one of my favorite new horror films.
I won't spoil too much other than it's got a wonderfully bleak, yet not oppressive tone throughout it as well as some BEAUTIFUL shots of an abandoned LA.

So happy that this is finally getting some love via Shout! Factory next month:

61OcZhlGf5L._SY300_.jpg

8/10

Watch this now!

Lt2iL0A.jpg

#9. John Carpenter's The Fog (October 14)
“There's something in the fog!”
John Carpenter intended his big screen follow-up to Halloween to be an old-fashioned ghost story. He make this intention pretty blatant by opening with a campfire rendition of the movie's central legend. But when the MPAA slapped an R rating on the final product, Carpenter went back and re-shot some sequences because he didn't think the film lived up to its rating. As a result, the film's vengeful lepers use swords and hooks to dispatch their prey instead of simply drowning them. While the change does help the visceral quality of the film, it doesn't do the story's logic any favors. The seemingly random nature of these murders runs headlong into the idea that these lepers are seeking revenge against descendants of Antonio Bay's forefathers. But beyond the wonky logic driving the water-logged ghosts, characters simply do things because that's what the plot dictates. It doesn't take much to get everyone on board with the idea that there is something insidious inside the fog. The story may not hang together very well, but Carpenter infused this flick with atmosphere to burn. The moody cinematography and beautiful shots of Antonio Bay go a long way in covering up the film's central problems. Plus, the presence of Jamie Lee Curtis and Tom Atkins definitely helps. The Fog may not be Carpenter's best film, but it manages to be a very entertaining one despite its faults.

CFWrl3j.jpg

#10. Legend of Hell House (October 14)
“There is nothing in this house that we can handle.”
A team of psychics descend on a notorious haunted house to prove or disprove the existence of life after death. Of course, things go bad and the four investigators find themselves in over their head. Richard Matheson, adapting his own novel, tones down the material to craft a tight and economical screenplay. Director John Hough provides some gloomily atmospheric direction and nicely claustrophobic compositions. Roddy McDowell and Clive Revill have enough gravitas to anchor the proceedings and make the pseudo-scientific explanations for things seem plausible. While both men are outstanding, McDowell delivers the film's true powerhouse performance as the frattered and frayed psychic Benjamin Fisher. Legend of Hell House stands tall in the cluttered haunted house genre and should appeal to anyone looking for a good old fashioned spook show.

AOBU0ic.jpg

#11. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (October 15)
“This moral quibbling is useless. Man as he is comprises two beings: one of whom I call man as he could be. In his perfection this inner man is beyond good and evil. “

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has been tackled thousands of times. When it came time for Hammer to give their own spin on Robert Louis Stevenson's classic tale, they went against the grain. While Hyde is usually depicted as a grotesque monster, Hammer opted to transform him into a charismatic and handsome English gentleman while Dr. Jekyll is cursed with all the charm and good looks of a lowlands gorilla. Paul Massie unfortunately wasn't quite the equal to this challenge. While he presents both Jekyll and Hyde as suitably different people, he ultimately comes off as too forced and unnatural. In stark contrast to Massie's struggles, Christopher Lee is wonderfully convincing as Jekyll's sleazy womanizer best friend. Despite Massie's short-comings, the film mostly works. It not until the final moments when the film really feels like a flop. If Hammer had the courage to follow through with the downer ending the film was leading up to, it might have been a true winner. But as it stands, The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is a middling effort from Hammer.

5GbkBFt.jpg

#12. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (October 16)
“Did you ever consider the consequences of your actions? You made me, and you left me to die. Who am I?”

In the wake of his blockbuster success with Bram Stoker's Dracula, Francis Ford Coppola intended to make Frankenstein as a companion piece. Unfortunately he stepped down, allowing Kenneth Branaugh to take his place in the director's seat. While Branaugh kept the same over-heated tone of Coppola's Dracula, he doesn't have the visual firepower to back it up. What's left is a tiresome melodrama that exists in a perpetual state of panic, as if Branaugh were running around with his hair on fire while reading the novel. This ultra-heightened state does occasionally work like gangbusters, such as the creation sequences, but it's ultimately tiring and difficult to sit through. Which is really a shame. Robert DeNiro's performance as the Creature is quite strong. It's filled with pathos and a real sense of understanding for the Creature that rings true. Branaugh's film may be the most faithful big screen version of the classic, but its by no means the definitive one.

Ridley327

Format change!

WEEK FOUR - PAINFUL MEMORIES
October 20

Thoughts before the rewatch: Like many people, this was one of my first R-rated films that I ever saw. After being built up like it was some kind of religious moment by my friends, who of course all saw it multiple times in the theater, a night with little parental supervision had this in the VCR, and I finally got the chance to see. Of course, when your friends build it up as much as they did, feeling underwhelmed in understandable. They thought I was weird for not loving it as much as they did, but hey, that's what kids do: they create legends out of the ordinary.

Years later, and I would say I was probably 20 at this point, I gave it another shot. Without the promise of a bloodbath previously unimagined and more experience watching films for reasons other than to see gore or boobs or gore and boobs, I went in with a much more open mind, and my initial disinterest turned to puzzled disappointment. This was the super-smart satire of the genre, which really didn't amount to much more than some cute references? This was the new generation of teen actors, most of whom were goddamned terrible? This was the work of a master filmmaker, who shot the whole thing with what looked like a fisheye lens? It was at this point that I realized that I wasn't crazy for not liking the film: the rest of the world was, for admonishing it with untold praise and riches, and for making, however briefly, Skeet Ulrich a star. And that's unforgivable.

Years later: I have, perhaps, been a bit unduly harsh on the film, as getting older and having even more experience than I did at 20 has opened up a lot of the film to me, in terms of what can and should be appreciated. But it's also opened up a lot more flaws than I had recognized than before. It has improved, though, which is more than I was expecting.

First, the fisheye lens, or whatever proper technical term is for the lens Craven chose for the film, is still present, and the tracking still moves in a bizarre and displeasing way, visually speaking. It's a shame, too, since Craven does one hell of a great job of staging the various attacks, bringing to them a remarkable sense of kinetic energy and violence that precious few horror films have ever attempted, let alone be successful at. It really feels like Craven and co. wanted to avoid the pratfalls of many slashers, which really never paid attention to the buildup to the gory bits and often skipped to what they thought were "the good parts," and went in the opposite direction. It's a violent, gory film, sure, but those aren't the parts you remember. You remember the frantic scrambling, the smart framing that is just left of your expectations to surprise you than if it went in a totally different direction entirely, the mortality of Ghostface himself that is at complete odds with how these villains tended to be before their comeuppance. Craven is definitely an example of a filmmaker that got a lot better with age, and Scream is probably his strongest film in that regard. Not perfect, as the still-ugly dialogue close-ups still show up with alarming frequency, but the man knows how the hell to put a scene like those I've described together.

What's also interesting, and something I definitely wouldn't have been able to piece together back then, is the way a few of the kills are executed. Perhaps remembering a bit of his Last House on the Left, the sexual assault imagery is on full display, with a lot of the kills feeling more like straight-up rapes than mere stabs. Sure, it's not like the connection hadn't ever been made before Scream, but it's never been shown this explicitly. It lends the early attacks a very intriguing edge to them that none of its progeny like I Know What You Did Last Summer or *shudder* Urban Legend bothered to look into, which makes it a shame that it loses sight of them as the movie progresses and gets less and less interested in maintaining that kind of violence and devolves into more traditional, mundane portrayals. Perhaps that this is where the script fails the most, as the more obvious slasher trope poking begins taking center stage, and often feels a lot less clever than screenwriter Kevin Williamson thinks they are. I described those bits as being cute more than anything else, and that still applies. Scenes, like Randy being stalked by Ghostface while watching Laurie in his magically morphing mash-up copy of Halloween and Halloween 2 (didn't think I'd notice, huh, film?!?) being stalked by Ghostface, which is then watched by Sidney and the cameraman while he munches on some Cheetos, really don't add a lot to the tension, and serve to drag an already long film down even more. The daytime stalking montage also makes very little sense, as it only exists to be a really obvious nod to Halloween than establishing any kind of unsettling menace to Ghostface. And the film's finale just goes on and on and on and on, thanks to stuffing in as much as possible. Again, it's really a length issue that dooms those scenes to being cute, rather than essential. It's fine to know and respect your influences, but there wasn't a lot of call for them to go overboard with them.

While Williamson's script isn't nearly as much of a game-changer that many thought it was, he does have a much better handle on people talk than I think I ever gave him credit for before tonight. It's smart dialogue, but not so smart as to be distracting, and the characters themselves do have unique voices that make them far more than just mere cannon fodder, and in theory, make you care about them. In theory, of course, since most of the actors are still terrible. I finally made the connection tonight that Neve Campbell is basically the Kristen Stewart of the late 90s, right down to the frequent lip pouting and monotone line delivery that we've come to be so familiar with the Twilight star and what both try to pass off as emoting. Rose McGowan has her full-on Rose McGowan schtick in full effect, sounding really disinterested in doing anything other "Rose McGowan would rather be somewhere else, but hey, she likes swearing a bunch." Jaime Kennedy is fine, but he has the unfortunate task of having the film's least meaty role, relegated to the scenes requiring the tropes to be paraded out, and really doesn't serve much of a point beyond them. Matthew Lillard's Stu is a lot less endearing now, since he doesn't really know to dial down the crazy long enough for him to be anything else, but at least he's not fucking Skeet Ulrich, who is even worse than I remembered. Doing little more than cocking his head forward, arching his eyes upward, peering through his fussy bangs, and delivering a horrible Johnny Depp impersonation, he has neither the ability to bring forth the dark undertones of his character of Billy, nor can he sell any line in the film without sounding completely insincere in any reading. One might say it helps his Billy out, since he's anything but sincere, but there's a fine line between what's appropriate for the role and what's counted as lack of talent, and Skeet Ulrich teeters too far into the latter to give him the benefit of the doubt. The best actors in the film are unsurprisingly the ones with previous experience, like Drew Barrymore (whose brief screentime is maximized in the film's thrilling introduction) and Courtney Cox (Gale is still one of the best sneering bitches with a heart of gold in the genre), and while I certainly would never claim David Arquette as being a good actor, he acquits himself well as the charmingly aloof Dewey.

The half-measures are what I take the most issue with now, more than anything else, as it seems like there's a lot in the film that's trying to prevent it from being a success that it could have been. Craven's direction certainly begs for a stronger film to be in, which is why the first ten minutes work so well, as it's the core of the film's concept boiled down to its absolute essentials with no fluff, no filler, nothing to get in way of the suspense and the terror. Perhaps it was always going to be doomed after such a strong start, but you do wish it didn't. My puzzlement no longer remains, but the disappointment does. It does try hard, though, and I do have to give it credit for the successes it does have as a result.

October 21 preview: We move onto a psychological horror film that wants to be a lot more than just that. Black Swan has a rightly praised lead performance from Natalie Portman, but I felt that she did a lot more heavy lifting for the film's failures than many seem to realize. Let's find out if that feeling deserves to linger.

WorldStar

Banned

kaiju

Day 19: Spookies (1986)

j8xe.jpg

A group of teenagers sneak into a mansion to party. Unfortunately for them, a sorceror named Kreon lives there, watching over a wife he has preserved for several decades. Kreon needs human souls to keep her alive, and possesses one of the teenagers. A Ouija board is then used to summon several weird and WTF looking monsters to feast on the rest.

And there are a lot of monsters -- Arachnid women and Grim Reaper statues, Ankle Biter Demons and Witches with bad breath, even Kid Dracula and a strange f**king alien with tentacles that will fry your face off (see video). Some of the monsters are so ridiculous you can't help but laugh. The acting and production values are amateur at best, but I love cheesy 80's B-movies, and this one fit the bill ten fold.

I can't believe Spookies has yet to be released on DVD or Blu-ray, such a shame since it deserves a wider recognition. Thankfully, it's on youtube!

http://youtu.be/CtaOsLms9AE

WorldStar

Banned
I can't believe Spookies has yet to be released on DVD or Blu-ray, such a shame since it deserves a wider recognition. Thankfully, it's on youtube!

There is a ridiculous amount of quality movies that didn't make it to DVD. It's really quite insane. And it's not even limited to horror (take a movie like Treasure Island (1990) staring
Charlton Heston and Christian Bale. AMAZING movie that definitely deserves a DVD release).

Thanks Count Dookkake and Thirstyfly for the Giallo clear up. I think I'm going to call an audible and watch Deep Red before the end of the month.

Also, great Scream write-up Ridley.

devenger

My catch up post never posted?

Oct 17 : The Last Broadcast - The acting is bottom of the barrel, cringeworthy, and it's 99% fake doc with 1 second of action at the end. 1/10

Oct 18: The Pact - not bad, just a bit too much going on. I was interested until it became clear what was happening, then not so much. 4/10

Oct 19: The Host: - Fun monster movie, but it got more and more serious as it went. Monster is very CGI, but he attack scenes were kind of inspired. 4/10

matt360

#19 - We Need to Talk About Kevin
HTRIeiZ.jpg

I know I'm skirting the line by including this, but it is listed as a horror/thriller on IMDB so I say fair game. While certainly not a horror in the traditional sense, there are still plenty of moments of horror, fear, and utter despair. I'm usually an unfeeling asshole when it comes to movie characters, but I was genuinely surprised at the sympathy I felt toward the mother. I honestly don't know if I've felt so sorry and so afraid for another fictional character. Tilda Swinton was absolutely incredible as Kevin's mother, as were all of the actors who played Kevin throughout the various stages of his life. Even the littlest one was creepy as hell. It was kind of like a mix of The Good Son, Orphan, and Elephant (of which I enjoyed all 3), but has the mother as the main character, and we really get a feel for what a person in her situation might feel like, albeit only a small, small taste. 9/10

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 V/H/S 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic
Oct. 11 Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Fantastic
Oct. 12 Ringu - Good
Oct. 13 V/H/S - Good
Oct. 14 Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Great
Oct. 15 The Cabin in the Woods - Great
Oct. 16 Maniac (2012) - Great
Oct. 17 Fright Night (1985) - Great
Oct. 18 [REC] 2 - Great
Oct. 19 The Mist - Great
Oct. 20 Pet Sematary - Good

Pet Sematary - I was laughing way harder than I should have. It was creepy at times but that creepiness always turned into comedy. Definitely better than Pet Sematary Two. All I have left to say is "no fair".

220px-Antarctic_Journal-210x300.jpg

19. Antarctic Journal (Netflix Instant)

I'm surprised that there aren't more films set in Antarctica. I suppose that I shouldn't be so surprised; the logistics of filming in a location that could approximate the Antarctic conditions would be challenging, and the films that have been set there (John Carpenter's The Thing, Scott of the Antarctic) have almost definitively defined how we would view the alien and deadly conditions of Antarctica.

Nonetheless, it's good to see another filmmaker tackle the challenge of finding something new to say about Antarctica, especially if the perspective is non-Western. And for the most part, director Yim Pil-sung (Hansel and Gretel, the "Wonderful New World" and "Happy Birthday" in Doomsday Book) and his cast, composed of some of the finer Korean actors of this generation, such as Song Kang-ho (The Host, Memories of Murder, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Thirst) and Yoo Ji-tae (Attack the Gas Station, Oldboy) ably show the effects the eeriness of Antarctica would have on the human mind. Time seems frozen in a land that has constant daylight for half a year; the land, including the sun that just cannot warm anyone up even as it constantly shines, is marked by its inhospitaility; if you're journeying to reach a destination like the Antarctic pole of inaccessibility, you're likely following someone else's footsteps. And then there are the inevitable personality clashes and power conflicts, even in a group as small as six men. The isolation is almost like an exorcism for one's inner demons, with which everyone else then has to deal.

It's not surprising that Song Kang-ho's Choi Do-hyung is drawn to Antarctica; his heart was already frozen before he arrived, and the cold only solidifies his overwhelming need to reach the Antarctic point of inaccessibility. His life back in Korea is as devoid of life as Antarctica is. His family is broken, and he has nothing left but his need to prove his excellence. It's too cold for him to bend to his team's requests to slow the pace for a sick colleague, to not cross a mountain, or to summon rescue.

I wish the film hadn't teased a supernatural explanation for what befalls the characters. Antarctica might seem alien and haunted, but adding the supernatural to such an exotic locale seemed like gilding the lily. The film raised enough questions about the lengths that man will go to exorcise his domestic demons, about the limits of endurance, desire, and ambition, and the human dynamic. There was enough about how teams become like families, leaders become like parents, and how that speaks to the larger Korean context of its people's relationship with its government, which is a larger question that can be seen in modern cinema from around the world. And the teasing of the supernatural doesn't really pay off unless you think that Antarctica is a force on its own.

The+Prophecy+%25281995%252955fd0.jpg

20. The Prophecy (Netflix Instant)

Elias Koteas's character, Thomas Dagget, asks Virginia Madsen's character, Katherine, at one point if anyone would really want to ever meet an angel. They are creatures infused with God's grace, but they're also responsible for the divine slaughters mentioned throughout the Bible. And though they've been anthropomorphized over the years, their original descriptions in the Bible are frightening. They are giants; they need their wings to cover their bodies lest their inner light blind or incinerate the person who seems them; they're wheels within wheels; they're four-headed monstrosities that have the faces of a man, an eagle, and a lion. Is it any wonder artists had to depict them into winged humans carrying swords or harps? They would be horrifying otherwise. It's funny that, in some ways, the Angels in Neon Geneis Evangelion (which aren't divine at all) are more accurate depictions of what Biblical angels might actually look like.

So, if you have to show angels on film, you'd have to find actors or actresses that could just the right amount of oddness and menace. I can remember what I thought were successful portrayals of angels from Tilda Swinton in Constantine and Jessica Lange in All That Jazz. Christopher Walken would be on the short list of actors who could pull off playing an angel or a devil, and he's the best part of The Prophecy.

The film tries to be very clever: why else would you name your protagonist, who was training to be a priest until he had a moment of doubt, "Thomas" or your innocent girl at the center of the chaos "Mary"? And as a story, the resolution feels like it comes out of nowhere (a deux ex machina, if you will) unless you consider it an inversion of how Faust ends: while divine grace is what usually saves Faust from eternal damnation after selling his soul to Mephistopheles, it is instead the devil who saves Thomas, Katherine, and Mary from angelic destruction (a diabolus ex machina, perhaps).

It intrigues me that once again Western science and religion is unable to save Mary; instead, she must turn to her Native American roots to be freed from the black soul that was put in her. Are the shamans more effective because they're isolated from society? Thomas goes to a church at one point in the film; I wonder why the film never thought to bring up the idea that Thomas and Katherine should contact the priest there to help them in their struggle. Is it out of respect for Mary's heritage?

Much as the Virgin Mary lacks agency in the story of Jesus, at least as it was told in the New Testament, so does Mary lack agency here, even if she has some intriguing tidbits to tell Thomas and Katherine that don't impact their effectiveness in resisting Walken's Gabriel.

I also really wonder how they were able to film the scene where Eric Stoltz's character, Simon, kisses Moriah Shining Dove Snyder's Mary to transfer the black soul to her since Stoltz was a grown man and Snyder was a prepubescent girl. Watching the film in 2013, I couldn't help but inject feelings of dread and disgust into scenes where the angels, played by adult men, interact with children. The scene in front of the school where Walken examines the children has an extra layer of menace in 2013.

Watched Stake Land based on recommendations here.
Pretty much can be summed up as The Road + Vampires. Pretty good film despite its low budget and no-name actors (aside from Kelly McGillis lol). I wouldve preferred if the Vamps were less zombie-like, like the best scene in the film was the Vampire girl sleeping in the kids room in the house because she wasnt just another RARRRGHBLARRGH drooling monster. Still, pretty good. 7/10

harSon

Banned
Don't have the time or willpower to do my usual sizable writeups, so here's some short impressions of what I've seen thus far:

1. Cube - I had to fix the fact that I had seen Hypercube and Cube Zero before actually having seen the original. I wasn't disappointed. It's obvious what films have drawn inspiration from Cube since its release in the 90s. The black guy is wonderfully douchey, and I'm love him for it. 4 out of 5

2. The Conjuring - Competent and effective, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go with my praise. 3 out of 5

3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - One of the few films that manages to go toe to toe with its predecessor and come out on top IMO. While it's not quite as big a leap from the original film as John Carpenter's The Thing was, the leap was substantial none the less. Absolutely loved the practical effects. The ending obviously won't surprise you anymore, especially if you frequent the internet, but that by no means hampers the experience. 5 out of 5

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original) - Simple yet effective narrative, and basically one that most modern slashers adhere to (alongside constructing hateable characters for the sole purpose of making their deaths not only stomachable, but thoroughly enjoyable - ie. Franklin). Easily one of the noteworthy entries in low-budget horror making. The cinematography is what really makes this film great. The 16mm allows for a wonderfully grainy look, and there's a great balance between bleak grit and vibrant color. People who go back to watch this film with a modern mindset, especially after the remakes, will probably be surprised that the film is pretty tame in that regard, choosing to leave much to the mind. 4.5 out of 5

5. Haunter - Pretty interesting concept. It's almost a hodgepodge of Nightmare on Elm Street and Groundhogs Day with a Ghost story overcoat. It starts off interesting enough and manages to hold your attention for a while, but it overstays its welcome a bit and the ending was too hokey for my liking. I was expecting a bit more from Vincenzo Natali. 2 out of 5

6. Susperia - Similar to a lot of Giallo films, the narrative isn't exactly conventional or deep (although I'd consider that a charm of the genre), but an awesome score and downright gorgeous cinematography elevate the film into something truly great. 5 out of 5

7. Black Christmas (Original) - Such an awesome movie to watch as a fan of the genre. You can see the past and future of the genre within this one film. It's very much a blurred region between Giallo and the modern Slasher. The film in general is quality to boot. 5 out of 5

8. The Beyond - The narrative doesn't make a lick of sense but the movie manages to impress regardless. 4 out of 5

9. The Loved Ones - Surprisingly decent film. The pit scenes were legitimately creepy. 3.5 out of 5

10. Curse of Chucky - I actually quite liked Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky, so the return to a less outlandish Chucky movie didn't go over to well with me. It wasn't a terrible film, it just lacked a soul IMO. The definition of generic. 2 out of 5

11. Session 9 - I've seen this film mentioned countless time, and its name is typically followed by glowing praise. I wasn't a fan to say the least. I loved the crawling narrative, which helped create steadily growing tension, but I was expecting a bigger payoff. The tail end of the 3rd act was just too sudden and not grand enough to justify the 80+ minutes of slow build up proceeding it. Such a shame too, because I'm usually a sucker for psychological horror. 2 out of 5

12. Society - Dat ending. Fairly heavy handed messaging, but I'm a huge fan of body horror and a sucker for films focusing on the snobiness of the 80s/90s Elite. 4.5 out of 5

13. The Hitcher (Original) - Rutger Hauer is explanation enough. 4.5 out of 5

14. Demons - Why is there a motorcycle in the movie theater, and better yet, why does it have gas? You could probably ask a dozen or so mind boggling questions like this, but it doesn't matter because Demons is awesome despite its narrative and consistency shortfalls. 4.5 out of 5

15. Angel Heart - I'm not completely sure why I always see this listed under the horror genre. It's more film noir with some psychological horror thrown in, but the horror elements are so spare and far and few between that I kind of struggle labeling it as such. Regardless, it's a damn good movie and Lisa Bonet was gorgeous in it. It also brings to light how horribly Mickey Rourke fucked his face up. Great actor though. 4.5 out 5

21_TheChurch_zpsccd7d4df.jpg

21) The Church/La chiesa (1989) (Oct 21)

My second Michele Soavi film of the marathon, The Church is what became of a project that was originally planned to be a sequel in the Demons series until Soavi got his hands on it and made it his own.

While it still has the seed of a Demons movie, it takes a more artistic approach to the story and across as more of a mix of Carpenter's Prince of Darkness in the beginning into the full-on, incomprehensible nuttery of Fulci's post-Zombi 2 zombie movies for the finale. There were definitely too many chefs in the kitchen during the script phase on this one.

That's not to say it's a bad movie, there's still plenty to enjoy. Soavi's masterful camera work is on display as usual, there's some good performances, amazing creature design and some generally shocking moments. This film has quite possibly the craziest
suicide
scene I've ever seen.

My biggest issue is with the 3rd act. So many minor characters are introduced at this point that the leads are almost nonexistent and the movie becomes a series of possession gags. Sure, some amount of cannon fodder is necessary for these kinds of movies, but the narrative feels like it just stops so everyone could get a little screen time. The group of visiting school children could have been removed entirely from the plot as they added nothing to the story and had no real resolution by the end.

There's still enough meat on the bones to make it a worthwhile watch, but it had the potential to be so much better.

Gameboy415

1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
2. Ghoulies (Netflix)
3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)
5. Battledogs (Netflix)
6. Scream 4 (Netflix)
7. Satan's Little Helper (Netflix)
8. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Netflix)
9. Perfect Blue (DVD)
10. John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (Blu-Ray)
11. Screamtime (Netflix)
12. Bread Crumbs (Netflix)
13. Ghoulies 2 (Netflix)
14. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (Netflix)
15. Hotel Transylvania 3D (Blu-Ray)
16. Hellraiser (Netflix)
17. Paranormal Activity (Blu-Ray)
18. Evil Dead (2013) (Blu-Ray)
19. Galaxy of Terror (Netflix)

20. House (Netflix)

-I'm a big fan of Fred Dekker's other films (Monster Squad & Night of the Creeps) and this one did not disappoint!

21. House 2 (Netflix)

-I really liked the first one but I loved this one! It was so over-the-top and ridiculous! :D

Has anyone seen House 3 or 4? Are they worth seeking out??

October 21st

Film number 40: Black Rock
Tagline: Not every island is a paradise

Opening thoughts: Lake Bell. That is all.

9dvy24E.png

Closing thoughts: Excellent survival horror that is as much about friendship and forgiveness as it is about stabbing someone with a sharp stick. Tense, brutal, brilliantly written and beautifully performed. And I’m not even going to mention the fact that
LAKE BELL TAKES LITERALLY ALL HER CLOTHES OFF OH MY GOD!
because that would reveal me to be a sad, pathetic douche.

Score: 9 out of 10. One thing this month has taught me is that going on holiday to an ‘uninhabited’ island is always a terrible idea.

Film number 41: Sinister
Tagline: Once you see him, nothing can save you

Opening thoughts: The presence of Ethan Hawke and James Ransone are enough to make me want to watch this.

ifc6Nls.png

Closing thoughts: A spooky little number, clever and effective if not ground-breaking. James Ransone is the best thing in it by miles.

Score: 8 out of 10. I’m not dancing with Mr Boogie.

Watched so far:
October 19 - The Horseman (9/10) The Crazies (7/10)
October 20 - A Horrible Way To Die (5/10) Dark Skies (7/10)

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 21 - Wolfen (1981)

396px-Wolfen_1981.jpg

Wolfen (1981) - I've got a soft spot for this film about a pack of uberwolves ("They may be Gods") living secretly in the slums of New York, feeding on outcasts, junkies and the dispossessed. It was, of course, completely overshadowed by An American Werewolf In London and The Howling on release in 1981, and there's no doubt it seems awfully tame in comparison to those films, but there's an unsettling discomfort in the slow reveal of a pack of intelligent predators prowling the wastes of Brooklyn. Featuring Gregory Hines and Edward James Olmos in significant supporting roles, this detective story appeals to the anti-urbanite in me, and though its been criticized for using real wolves in the role of Wolfen rather than something more fantastic, I find the familiar animals with their enhanced eyes truly effective, particularly in the film's final scenes. Worth a watch, for sure.

WorldStar

Banned
so I did a re-watch of Succubus the other night, unfortunately it wasn't as good as I remembered. I'll do a review soon.

I'm going to start doing a re-watch of most the Troma films in order to determine the top 3 best Troma films ever. Naturally, I'm starting with Toxic Avenger tonight.

I also plan on watching some Troma films I never got around to seeing. Namely, Graduation Day with Vanna White and Chosen One with Carmen Electra.

WorldStar

Banned
Graduation Day is too good for Troma

Also troma has alot of their films up for free on their official YouTube channel.

I heard Graduation Day is uncharacteristically high in quality compared to most Troma flicks.

I'll be sure to check out their YouTube channel. If they have Graduation Day up I'll be one happy camper.

Top Bottom