• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 General Q&A, demo kiosk visitors, those "in the know" please help answer.

wizzbang

Banned
I thought a thread covering peoples obscure questions about the PS4 might be good and haven't seen anything similar yet. I'm sure we all have some obscure questions which aren't public knowledge yet, which we'd like to know regarding the system.

Here's a couple of mine from previous threads, feel free to add your own, hopefully people who know the answers (or who are heading to a kiosk soon) can find out some stuff for us. :)

How long does it take to charge controllers from the PS4 USB socket approximately.
The headset provided, how good is the quality, does it come with a mute button? (Will a regular iphone / samsung galaxy mobile headset work?)
The PS4 apparently will slowly copy games to the HDD as you play them, part of an \"auto copy" system of sorts. Is there any way to FORCE the copy to the HDD to ensure you're always getting the best load times, even first time?
How is the wireless network on the PS4, anyone know the specifics?
Is there any secret compartments on the console? Apparently there's a long looking slot on the underside.
How's the PS4 when it's standing upright without the stand? Does it seem stable enough if it's tucked away?
How's the optical drive noise in full motion?
Does the system play MKV files? What about MP4, MP3? - can it display JPGS? Can it do it over LAN / DLNA or only USB?
What's the FOV like on the camera? Can you zoom it in a bit? (Even zoomed, the PS3 camera seemed to wide an angle for me)
What does the settings section look like for the console, can you still change your voice tone / pitch?

Also bonus general question, the UI, where / when are we going to see a good piece of footage on it
Etc, etc etc - anyone care to jump in with some more? Please try to quote the questions if you're answering.

Not long to go now :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The PS4 apparently will slowly copy games to the HDD as you play them, part of an \"auto copy" system of sorts. Is there any way to FORCE the copy to the HDD to ensure you're always getting the best load times, even first time?

Follow-up question to that one:

Can anything particularly bad happen if the PS4 suddenly loses power when its in the middle of copying games to the HDD? (aka, corrupted data?)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Is there any secret compartments on the console? Apparently there's a long looking slot on the underside.

Are you referring to this? If so, that's where the FCC label goes.
360070.png

DBT85

I thought a thread covering peoples obscure questions about the PS4 might be good and haven't seen anything similar yet. I'm sure we all have some obscure questions which aren't public knowledge yet, which we'd like to know regarding the system.

Here's a couple of mine from previous threads, feel free to add your own, hopefully people who know the answers (or who are heading to a kiosk soon) can find out some stuff for us. :)

How long does it take to charge controllers from the PS4 USB socket approximately.
The headset provided, how good is the quality, does it come with a mute button? (Will a regular iphone / samsung galaxy mobile headset work?)
How is the wireless network on the PS4, anyone know the specifics?
How's the PS4 when it's standing upright without the stand? Does it seem stable enough if it's tucked away?
How's the optical drive noise in full motion?
Does the system play MKV files? What about MP4, MP3? - can it display JPGS? Can it do it over LAN / DLNA or only USB?
What's the FOV like on the camera? Can you zoom it in a bit? (Even zoomed, the PS3 camera seemed to wide an angle for me)
What does the settings section look like for the console, can you still change your voice tone / pitch?

Also bonus general question, the UI, where / when are we going to see a good piece of footage on it
Etc, etc etc - anyone care to jump in with some more? Please try to quote the questions if you're answering.

Not long to go now :)

Not sure, depends on battery size and power from the USB3 port
Not sure, but it's not going to blow people away, though it likely won't be terribad. Any 3.5mm headset should work fine.
No idea
Wireless N is all we know. 2.4GHz only
No secret compartment, that thing on the underside is where the FCC label sits. The shiny part does come off to replace the HDD.
On it's own you are taking a risk, with the stand (which is weighted) you should be fine
No idea, and demo kiosks are going to be running from the HDD not disks.
No idea on MKV, some say it'll never happen, but Sony phones, tablets, BluRay players and TVs all play MKVs, MP4 and MP3 are so almost certain it's a yes, JPGs of course, cannot beleive it won;t be able to access content over the network
PS4 Camera has an 85° FOV, No idea if it can zoom.
No idea.

Soon on IGN apparently

Many of the questions you ask won't be known until normal people have them.

wizzbang

Banned
Many of the questions you ask won't be known until normal people have them.

Exactly! :D
I'm waiting to hear from "normals" or inquisitive games journos who frequent Neogaf. I want to know the little issues, good and bad which are currently unknown

Bonus question, what happens if you plug in the PS4 controller into a PC at the moment, does it work right now for end users, do you need some kind of dev kit driver? What if you plugin the camera?

Torgo

Wireless - IEEE 802.11 b/g/n

Full spec sheet:

*Main processor Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics
engine

*Memory GDDR5 8GB
*Storage size 500GB Hard disk drive*1
&External dimensions Approx. 275×53×305 mm (width × height × length)
*Mass Approx. 2.8 kg
*BD/ DVD drive (read only)
* Input/ Output Super-Speed USBx (USB 3.0) port × 2
( Networking Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) ×1
*AV output HDMI out port

*BD × 6 CAV
*DVD × 8 CAV
*AUX port × 1
*IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
*Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
*DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port
*Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®4) × 1
*Mono headset × 1
*AC power cord × 1
*HDMI cable × 1
*USB cable × 1

Wireless Controller:
*Product name DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller
*Color Jet Black
*Product code CUH-ZCT1
*External dimensions Approx. 162mm × 52mm × 98mm (width × height × depth)
*Weight Approx. 210g (tentative)
*Keys / switches PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button,
*Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right),
*Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square),
*R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button
*Touch pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
*Motion sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope,

*Other features Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker Ports USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
*Wireless communication Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR
*Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery

Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)

Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)

Camera:
*Product name PlayStation®Camera
*Color Jet Black
*Product code CUH-ZEY1
*External dimension Approx. 186mm × 27mm × 27mm (width × height × depth)
*Weight Approx. 183g (tentative)
*Video pixel (Maximum) 1280 × 800 pixel × 2
*Video frame rate 1280×800 pixel @ 60fps
*Video format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
*Lens Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
*Capture range 30cm~∞
*Field-of-view 85°
*Microphone 4 Channel Microphone Array
*Connection type PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
*Cable length Approx. 2m (tentative)
*640×400 pixel @ 120fps
*320×192 pixel @ 240fps

I want to know if the recording / share video feature captures at the native resolution / framerate, or if it lowers it automatically and always to 720px30fps like the X1.

Would kill the feature for me if that indeed was the case. Don't think I have read an answer on this one though from the Sony side.

Having the feature built in the hardware makes me think it will handle the native resolution x framerate without issues though.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Bonus question, what happens if you plug in the PS4 controller into a PC at the moment, does it work right now for end users, do you need some kind of dev kit driver? What if you plugin the camera?

I don't think the camera is USB, so you would need at least an adapter to plug it in.

gruenel

Oh cool, is that what the PS4 is using for a file system now?

Its just that after years and years of games telling me its probably a really bad idea to kill the power to the system when its in the middle of a save, I've grown paranoid about it.

Most likely. It's still a bad idea to power off a machine without a proper shutdown, but data corruption usually won't happen.

DBT85

I want to know if the recording / share video feature captures at the native resolution / framerate, or if it lowers it automatically and always to 720px30fps like the X1.

Would kill the feature for me if that indeed was the case. Don't think I have read an answer on this one though from the Sony side.

Having the feature built in the hardware makes me think it will handle the native resolution x framerate without issues though.

I believe that Tidux, a Junior member who has since been questioned by The Great Bish, said that the PS4 saves video at 720p30 and screenshots at 1080.

wizzbang

Banned
I believe that Tidux, a Junior member who has since been questioned by The Great Bish, said that the PS4 saves video at 720p30 and screenshots at 1080.

This makes sense for uploads, not all games will be 1080p and not all games will be 60fps. A consistent 30fps 720p video will be smaller and still look pretty reasonable for games when uploaded.

Is Tidux trusted as a source though? Just to confirm - this is now factual for the thread? (Really wish someone at a kiosk could hunt around the menus)

DBT85

This makes sense for uploads, not all games will be 1080p and not all games will be 60fps. A consistent 30fps 720p video will be smaller and still look pretty reasonable for games when uploaded.

Is Tidux trusted as a source though? Just to confirm - this is now factual for the thread? (Really wish someone at a kiosk could hunt around the menus)

Well, he said it, then got Bish'd, and isn't banned.

Someone else who I believe is also a dev said the same thing.

So for now, it's all we've got.

wizzbang

Banned
Well, he said it, then got Bish'd, and isn't banned.

Someone else who I believe is also a dev said the same thing.

So for now, it's all we've got.

Confirmation would be good but if they sound like they are in the know, then it's a good start, thanks.

tensuke

That one dev who I've now forgotten the name of--he has a car avatar--also said 720p videos and 1080p screenshots I believe.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Someone in the kiosk thread mentioned that the kiosk are locked into the demo UI and you can't bring up the retail UI on them or use the system buttons (PS button/Share).

Skeff

For installing, the game automatically installs as soon as it boots, If you leave the game o the main menu it *should* install to HDD at maximum speed, you won't have an install bar but it will be done when it finishes "clunking" the Blu ray drive, *Blu Ray drive may not be a loud clunking noise.

wizzbang

Banned
Someone in the kiosk thread mentioned that the kiosk are locked into the demo UI and you can't bring up the retail UI on them or use the system buttons (PS button/Share).

The DS4 controller on PS3 thread, the German dude just said they can't show us any off screen UI stuff yet :( so crushed.

wizzbang

Banned
For installing, the game automatically installs as soon as it boots, If you leave the game o the main menu it *should* install to HDD at maximum speed, you won't have an install bar but it will be done when it finishes "clunking" the Blu ray drive, *Blu Ray drive may not be a loud clunking noise.

That's not exactly a scientific method though is it? I really want to know as an SSD owner, so it's reliably copied - fast as possible and least possible drive head seeking from the optical.

Squire

Banned
Does the system support custom soundtracks on a system level a la 360? I need to be able to play Drake's "Started From The Bottom" whilst sailing the high seas in Assassin's Creed IV.

Aspiring

As someone who will import a PS4 from the US to Australia what voltage will the US model be? Will I use my current step down converter, or will I be able to just use a figure 8 Australian cable like the PS Vita?

Also, if I am unsure when I receive my unit if I plug it in the step down, and it is in fact dual voltage like the Vita, will it still be ok or will it blow up?

wizzbang

Banned
As someone who will import a PS4 from the US to Australia what voltage will the US model be? Will I use my current step down converter, or will I be able to just use a figure 8 Australian cable like the PS Vita?

Also, if I am unsure when I receive my unit if I plug it in the step down, and it is in fact dual voltage like the Vita, will it still be ok or will it blow up?

The power on the back looks like regular figure 8, like the PS2 and the PS3, however I do not know if the US or Australian models have a universal transformer. - The best answer to this would be to firstly see if the PS2 or PS3 had a universal transformer and secondly - to find someone in the US in a retailer who actually has a box ready to sell and can provide technical specs from the box.

Why import? Region free console, Australian warranty?

DBT85

The power on the back looks like regular figure 8, like the PS2 and the PS3, however I do not know if the US or Australian models have a universal transformer. - The best answer to this would be to firstly see if the PS2 or PS3 had a universal transformer and secondly - to find someone in the US in a retailer who actually has a box ready to sell and can provide technical specs from the box.

US price is $399, thats only $413 AUS. The price of the PS4 in Aus is $549. Suppose it all depends how cheap the shipping is.

Aspiring

Honestly, I have been importing since the dreamcast, and it's actually just habbit. I buy everything from America. The only time I buy from here is when I want the game day 1. And that's not that often, and when I wait it's only max 4 days after. With the PS4 it means I get it 2 weeks early and it's cheaper. Why not? I mean mine only cost $460 Australian shipped with Knack. Plus like I said I have imported everything since the dreamcast. All my consoles have been from the US.

On the question, if on the box it says like he FCC that it's 110v-240v it will work by just plugging it in the wall with an Australian figure 8 cable yes?

Robotziane

Neo Member
I would like to know the what the build quality of the controller is like, specifically how the face buttons are. 3 of my current ds3 controllers make an irritating squeak when pressed and I really hope it's a problem they have eleviated with the new controllers. There just seems to be too much movement on the ds3 buttons.

wizzbang

Banned
I would like to know the what the build quality of the controller is like, specifically how the face buttons are. 3 of my current ds3 controllers make an irritating squeak when pressed and I really hope it's a problem they have eleviated with the new controllers. There just seems to be too much movement on the ds3 buttons.

Considering these are now available in some stores, I suspect we're going to see answers to this one in days - youtube videos and so on, I'm also eager to know. (FWIW I don't mind the quality of my DS3 controllers- odd squeek but rare but have taken a beating - especially the batteries which are still fine)

wizzbang

Banned
General update:

Enough tries have been posted online now that the DS4 will ONLY work in HID mode on the PS3 and is not a viable replacement for the DS3. Also on PC it's not fully supported yet, someone will need to write drivers.

No select button on PS3 for example, no sixaxis, no rumble. *IF* they update the PS3 to support it, regardless the analog button can never work.

wizzbang

Banned
One more last attempt at bumping this, I still have an utter shitload of questions unanswered about this console - it's kind of frustrating we don't have an ultra FAQ up (or a thread like this)

I've been wondering the last day how the mics are on the camera? Are they actually worth anything? The PS3 mic is shit on the camera and I sit right close to it, (8' direct, line of sight, same height) still rubbish.

Also no one has cut the camera cable and tried on USB yet have they?
Also still waiting for extensive UI footage :(

Top Bottom