• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year of Wii software in Japan - Media Create LTDs

Jokeropia

starship said:
This is really low.
Through Dec. 2nd, Wii was at 3,945,429 so it means its tie ratio was 2.81.
This is really really low given the fact that nearly 0.5 of that came from Wii Play too.
Wii Software sales in Japan is pathetic.
On the contrary. Both overall software sales and tie-ratio is significantly better than what PS2 had at week 52. (No million sellers, less than 8 million total software sales and a tie-ratio of ~2.3.)

Eteric Rice

EDarkness said:
I don't feel bad for third parties at all. How much shovelware, ports, and how many low budget games do people have to put up with? I don't see third parties putting their best foot forward, either. Hopefully 2008 will be better, but based on my discussions with Japanese gamers many feel the quality of Wii games to be not so good. I admit that this is only a small sample of gamers, but that much has been consistent between my students. Sure there have been some games that have fallen through the cracks, but overall what have been the big budget, high quality games released on the Wii by third parties? Most of these companies should be happy their games sold as much as they have.

Though, I would love to see where the PS2 was at this point in its lifetime.

This.

There are hardly any games on that list that deserved to do any better than they did. The only one I can think of is Zack & Wiki and maybe Dewey. Resident Evil 4, REUC, Ghost Squad (which is pretty fun) did respectively well.

I was thinking about why Nintendo was going after the casual gamers, and it kind of dawned on me that they're probably going after the people that will only buy one console this generation before any. They know that the hardcore will own a Wii and PS3/360, but the casuals will only own one.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they started going after the more hardcore gamer. I think even Iwata hinted at such at the showing of Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii.

Just my observation, though.

Schrade

People bought it for the Virtual Console games and for it to be "a ping pong table" (i.e. just for Wii sports) I bet.

It would be interesting to see the stats of the Virtual Console sales vs. these.

Jammy

Banned
Put a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Musou, or whatever game on Wii and it will sell well, and noticeably better than they would on other platforms. The big-name third party support just hasn't been there yet unfortunately. What is there to buy? We've seen the sales Square-Enix got when they put something with the Dragon Quest name on the system. The good "spin-offs" and ports Wii has gotten however, have all sold well and performed better than developers even expected (RE4: Wii Edition and RE: UC both meeting their numbers before the year end, DQS having shortages for the two weeks after launch, etc.).

Jammy said:
Put a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Musou, or whatever game on Wii and it will sell well, and noticeably better than they would on other platforms. The big-name third party support just hasn't been there yet unfortunately. What is there to buy? We've seen the sales Square-Enix got when they put something with the Dragon Quest name on the system. The good "spin-offs" and ports Wii has gotten however, have all sold well and performed better than developers even expected (RE4: Wii Edition and RE: UC both meeting their numbers before the year end, DQS having shortages for the two weeks after launch, etc.).

If Monster Hunter 3 sells better than 500k, I think this theory will be proved. I think the previous two did about 500k each on the PS2.

EDarkness

Eteric Rice said:
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they started going after the more hardcore gamer. I think even Iwata hinted at such at the showing of Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii.

I believe Iwata said something to this effect at the last big Nintendo event. No idea why they didn't jump on this sooner, but hopefully this will help build a good "core" gamer installed base to push along games like Mario Galaxy in the future. I think many "core" gamers wouldn't mind switching from the PS2 to the Wii, but there hasn't been much incentive to do so yet. A good big name, high budget 3rd party exclusive may be enough to do that, but there isn't anything on the horizon except maybe Monster Hunter and we don't know much about it at this point.

apujanata said:
List of some games that has not been updated in Famitsu Top 30 for a long time (and also didn't show up in the Famitsu 1H07 portable sales), or who have significant increase compared to the last time they show up in Famitsu Top 30 list.

Dragonball Z Sparking Neo 143000 (67000)
Actually, that one is the reverse. By the mid-year Top 100, Famitsu had that one at 157,784.
EDarkness said:
Though, I would love to see where the PS2 was at this point in its lifetime.
Using what Famitsu data we have, here's PS2 through the same number of weeks.
Schrade said:
It would be interesting to see the stats of the Virtual Console sales vs. these.
Every time so far we've heard a number on Virtual Console sales, it's been less than 1 per Wii.
Jammy said:
Put a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Musou, or whatever game on Wii and it will sell well, and noticeably better than they would on other platforms.
Not quite true. Koei proved that "Waggle Spinoff Musou" isn't so hot. What regular Musou would've done, we can only imagine.

EDarkness

JoshuaJSlone said:
Actually, that one is the reverse. By the mid-year Top 100, Famitsu had that one at 157,784.

Using what Famitsu data we have, here's PS2 through the same number of weeks.

Every time so far we've heard a number on Virtual Console sales, it's been less than 1 per Wii.

Not quite true. Koei proved that "Waggle Spinoff Musou" isn't so hot. What regular Musou would've done, we can only imagine.

Interesting. A lot of games didn't do so hot on the PS2. The big name games did well, but there are many low selling games. I thought Dark Cloud did better, honestly. This puts the Wii situation in perspective. The real difference is the quality of third party games on the Wii. I think we can all agree it hasn't been so good up until this point.

As for Koei, they haven't done anything of note on the Wii. Katana wasn't all that good and being a spinoff with virtually no advertising and low quality, I'm not surprised it didn't do so well. They should have released a regular Musou game. I think it would have done better.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Boerseun said:
JGaf should proceed to their nearest store and buy:

Caduceus (aka Trauma Center)
Dewey's Adventure
Dragon Quest Swords
Elebits
Excitetruck
Forever Blue
Fire Emblem
Guilty Gear
Kororinpa
Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
Opoona
Resident Evil:Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Super Mario Galaxy
Zack & Wiki

Start with Mario.

GO NOW.

listen to the man.

if you don't already have at least a quarter of those games you can just as well sell your wii.

Pellham

Banned
duckroll said:
S-E is at #3 with just 1 game. Ouch for all other third parties. :(

Tell them (3rd parties) to stop making shitty games for the Wii and maybe, just maybe, that'll fix their low sales problem.

giggas

Wow, that list is really upsetting. It's weird when you keep hearing how Galaxy and Twilight didn't sell what they should, but when you compare those games to the rest of the list they stand head and shoulders over the competition.

I'd really love to see a similar list for the PS3 and 360. It would really help give a better impression of just how much gaming taste is changing in Japan.

And while a solid amount of those third party titles do suck, you still can't help but feel bad for them. Seeing some games in the 3,000 or less range is almost depressing. Remember, people are making their living making these games, whether they suck or not, so it's sad to see such low numbers.

EDarkness

giggas said:
Wow, that list is really upsetting. It's weird when you keep hearing how Galaxy and Twilight didn't sell what they should, but when you compare those games to the rest of the list they stand head and shoulders over the competition.

I'd really love to see a similar list for the PS3 and 360. It would really help give a better impression of just how much gaming taste is changing in Japan.

And while a solid amount of those third party titles do suck, you still can't help but feel bad for them. Seeing some games in the 3,000 or less range is almost depressing. Remember, people are making their living making these games, whether they suck or not, so it's sad to see such low numbers.

While I understand what you're saying, the quality of the game MUST be at least a little decent to expect to sell good numbers. The sheer amount of shovelware on that list is unreal. As I stated before I don't have any sympathy for any of these guys. Honestly, they're not doing themselves any favors, either.

But for some perspective, look at the PS2 list and you'll see there isn't much difference.

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/testsoftware.php?platform=PS2&weeknum=53

Lots of high quality games on that list and a lot of them didn't fare so well on the PS2 at this point in its life. Something the Wii really doesn't have (big name games, that is).

I think some of you are forgetting this is JAPAN not the US, these are typically how sales are there...and as someone said earlier Wii is actually performing better than the PS2 was at this point

Banned
A lot of people here either don't check Media Create, or haven't been there for a long ass time. These sales aren't that out of the norm.

apujanata

giggas said:

After you see the list, you will cry, and declare "console gaming is dead in Japan". If you think Wii's list is bad, then X360's or PS3's are "worse than bad".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128989

Sample of the Top 3 :
Code:
Wii
2,211,000 Wii Sports (Nintendo) (12/2/06) - rounded off through Nov 18/07 (MC) 
1,707,132 Hajimete no Wii (Wii Play) (Nintendo) (12/2/06) - through Dec 2/07 
904,535 Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) (7/26/07) - through Dec 2/07 

PS3
363,000 Minna no Golf 5 (Hot Shots Golf 5) (Sony) (7/26/07) – rounded off through Nov 11/07 (MC) 
295,160 Gundam Musou (Dynasty Warriors: GUNDAM) (Bandai) (3/1/07) – through Nov 11/07 
280,559 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Dynasty Warriors 6) (Koei) (11/11/07) – through Nov 25/07 

X360
202,294 Blue Dragon (Microsoft) (12/7/06) – through Oct 14/07 
106,200 Dead or Alive 4 (+Xbox 360 Platinum) (Tecmo) (12/29/05) / (11/1/07) – rounded off through Jan 14/07 / Nov 4/07 (105,331 + 900) 
85,000 Dead Rising(+ Platinum + Dead Rising/Gears of War Plat)(Capcom)(9/28/06)/(6/14/07)/(11/1/07)–rnd off through May 13/07 / Oct 14/07 / Nov 4/07 (65,908+16,950+2,100)

donny2112

Stopsign said:
If Monster Hunter 3 sells better than 500k, I think this theory will be proved. I think the previous two did about 500k each on the PS2.

Code:
PS2 Monster Hunter    121K .. 55K .. 29K  ...  289K (20041226)
PS2 Monster Hunter G  128K .. 30K .. 15K  ...  232K (20051225)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2  368K .. 95K .. 39K  ...  571K (20061231)

My expectations are for Monster Hunter 3 to do about as well as Monster Hunter 1 for its first week, as the Monster Hunter userbase migrates over. My LTD expectations would be between MH1 and MH2, though. 500K would be very good for a LTD number.

donny2112 said:
Code:
PS2 Monster Hunter    121K .. 55K .. 29K  ...  289K (20041226)
PS2 Monster Hunter G  128K .. 30K .. 15K  ...  232K (20051225)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2  368K .. 95K .. 39K  ...  571K (20061231)

My expectations are for Monster Hunter 3 to do about as well as Monster Hunter 1 for its first week, as the Monster Hunter userbase migrates over. My LTD expectations would be between MH1 and MH2, though. 500K would be very good for a LTD number.

Yeah, I'm just worried most people will expect PSP like sales. I think this is another one of those series like Pokemon that sells the best on a hand held because of the portability factor.

For some of those games, they were expected to sell for crap. Shovelware = Crap sales for the most part. Sometimes, you get a winner that sells great. But there's a number of titles in there that sold for CRAP as well and they were decent to really good games that should've sold better....far better if you ask me.

Still....for some dev's, releasing a Wii game was a horrible mistake for them. They'll either go back to making DS games (where the real money is on a Nintendo system) or invest in the bigger $$$ market and put games out aimed at western audiences and on the 360 where folks buy shittons of games (even EA games!).

EDarkness

DiatribeEQ said:
For some of those games, they were expected to sell for crap. Shovelware = Crap sales for the most part. Sometimes, you get a winner that sells great. But there's a number of titles in there that sold for CRAP as well and they were decent to really good games that should've sold better....far better if you ask me.

Still....for some dev's, releasing a Wii game was a horrible mistake for them. They'll either go back to making DS games (where the real money is on a Nintendo system) or invest in the bigger $$$ market and put games out aimed at western audiences and on the 360 where folks buy shittons of games (even EA games!).

I'm curious about which devs made a "horrible mistake"?

Eteric Rice

Hopefully things start to pick up as more and more hardcore games are released.

Smash Bros. comes out soon, doesn't it? And how is Chocobo's Dungeon holding up?

giggas

apujanata said:
After you see the list, you will cry, and declare "console gaming is dead in Japan". If you think Wii's list is bad, then X360's or PS3's are "worse than bad".

Thanks for the links guys.

No, I don't declare console gaming in Japan dead. There is just a dramatic shift in taste, and types of games they play, which I happen to find interesting.

Joni

Quality sells!
Wii Play > Super Mario Galaxy + The Legend of Zelda
Mario Party 8 > Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race > Zack & Wiki
Pokémon Battle Revolution > Trauma Center

ashiato

Jammy said:
Put a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Musou, or whatever game on Wii and it will sell well, and noticeably better than they would on other platforms.

Sengoku Musou Katana 35000 (17000)

Joni said:
Quality sells!

My faith in GAF just dropped about 10% in the last 10 seconds. Largest drop since the Wiimote was first revealed.

Ashiato, that wasn't an actual sequel though. It was a first person spin-off that was rushed out for launch.

Pellham said:
Tell them (3rd parties) to stop making shitty games for the Wii and maybe, just maybe, that'll fix their low sales problem.

Yeah,just look how good No More Heroes,Zack & Wiki,We love golf and Nights 2 did in terms of sales.

Wait....

jay

There is plenty of insight to be drawn from these numbers but I get the feeling we are over dramatizing sales. Many games have flopped on all systems, including many very good ones, but without accurate weekly sales we weren't able to declare "OMG SNES is doomed!" or "So many devs made the biggest mistake of their life by releasing on the PS1."

Apujanata, thanks for posting the top 3 sample. It helps put things in perspective.

genjiZERO said:
What are all those people buying Wiis even playing? These numbers are low for a console selling so well.

wii sports, wiifit, wii play and Galaxy

May God help 3rd parties on the wii next year

linsivvi

ashiato said:
Sengoku Musou Katana 35000 (17000)

It's like comparing Umbrella Chronicle, Crystal Chronicle, DQ Swords, Soulcalibur Legends to their respective mainline series. Come on, Katana isn't even a real Musou game, and it's quality doesn't even deserve to sell 1/10 of that 35000 copies.

Nintendo needs to rerelease Excite Truck under a new name. Excite Training. Or Wii Excite. Some little Mii characters on the cover may help.

Joni said:
Quality sells!

Of course, there's no such thing as a good game with niche appeal and no phenomenon such as great games being outsold by lesser games on any other console...

Yeah,just look how good No More Heroes,Zack & Wiki,We love golf and Nights 2 did in terms of sales.

They deserved to do much better, but the only one that I find truly surprising is We Love Golf. WLG had a good pedigree, apparently solid gameplay, good reviews and seemed to be targeted right at the audience who snapped up Wii Sports. The only thing missing appeared to be any kind of advertising, though it also had the misfortune of hitting at a particularly crowded time of year, going up against several other major titles.

pgtl_10

Stopsign said:
Well, considering Umbrella Chronicles is now above 160,000 in Famitsu numbers, I think it did okay. It will continue to climb as well. Probably end up around 220k-230k. I don't know how Square-Enix dropped the ball on Dragon Quest Swords, though.

Edit: Stump, Resident Evil debuted about 20k higher in Famitsu numbers. Also it has two more weeks of sale added on top of that. The cut-off date for these numbers is December 2nd, while we have numbers through the 17th or something like that.

What's worse is that Wada complains that the Wii userbase doesn't like games. Will when you don't supply enough copies what do you expect?

Joni

Cosmonaut X said:
Of course, there's no such thing as a good game with niche appeal and no phenomenon such as great games being outsold by lesser games on any other console....
True, but it also proves 'good third party games' doesn't equal good sales. People have been saying third party's release too much crap and that is why their sales suck. But that is just selling them short.

genjiZERO said:
What are all those people buying Wiis even playing? These numbers are low for a console selling so well.
The only platforms that sold as well in hardware through this time were GBA and DS; both of which seem to have had lower software sales by several million.

Pellham

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:

Wait....

Did you expect ANY of those to be big sellers? I don't care how good you think Zack & Wiki or NMH are, they aren't even 100k material.

Banned
There should be a one week sales course juniors have to go through before discussing videogame sales. Seriously.

Quality sells!
:lol

Pellham said:
Did you expect ANY of those to be big sellers? I don't care how good you think Zack & Wiki or NMH are, they aren't even 100k material.

They aren't 10k material either....

Except 2 or 3 titles,no 3rd party title did well on Wii,being good or bad,that means something.....

No that they are doing well on "other" platforms either,but 3rd party performance is just ridiculous...,only Nintendo is getting any profit with the Wii.

Top Bottom