• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

Grief.exe

i8acNvKbMKSG9.png

The DayZ mod launched in 2012 as a mod for Bohemia Interactive's 2009 game, ARMA II. The mod gained popularity extremely quickly and caused sales of ARMA II to skyrocket.
The premise of the game is survival, placing players in the middle of a 200+ square kilometer stretch of Russian countryside. They are tasked with acquiring food, weapons, vehicles and other supplies, while fighting off other players and zombies.

Work on the Standalone version of the game began in January of this year. The aim was to remake the game from the ground up, fixing many of the issues from the mod.
The largest change will be the switch to Client/Server architecture which increases performance, allows for better Zombie AI, fixes loot spawns, and significantly reduces hacking.
The Standalone will also feature a revamped Chernarus map, new weapon/player/zombie/item animations and models, new sounds, brand new buildings to enter, and much more.
Details on the massive amount of updates from the mod to the Standalone can be below in the features section below.

The Standalone will have a similar business model to Minecraft or ARMA III, with the cost of the game increasing as it moves from Alpha, to Beta, to Release.
Rocket has said that the Alpha will not transition to a Beta release, and thus a higher price point, for a long time, and the change will be announced well beforehand.

If you do not want to test a buggy, bare bones, alpha release, then wait for the issues to be fixed and content to be iterated upon. The lower price point will still be available down the road.

iTHIqk117S8ss.png

This section will be used for general information about the game, as well as good resources such as maps, guides, etc.

Purchase
Alpha is now available (Activates on Steam) $30/€23
Steam
BI Store

Launch Trailer

GAF Mumble (quote for info)

System Requirements
The Standalone is running off of a heavily modified version of RVIII. The engine has been optimized for online play, the majority of the load has been shifted over to server-side.
If you can run ARMA II, then you will easily be able to run the Standalone.

DayZ is currently in Alpha
DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.

Guides
Health Information
Chernarus+ Interactive Map

ip3DlfQWxl4lN.png

CHANGELOG: Stable - 0.46.124490

Known Issues:
  • Crash caused by Fireplace kit in players Inventory
  • Character cloning
  • Player can look through walls
  • Zombies are spawning on spot of their death
  • Player is stuck in building after reconnect
  • Player cannot respawn properly when he has drowned
  • Shadow related client FPS drops
  • When restrained in unconscious player stays in restrained state till he reconnects

New:
  • Actions: You can sort out good ammunition from a ruined stack
  • Animations: New reload animations for Longhorn and a second reload for the Crossbow.
  • Animations: New reload for B95 double rifle.
  • Animations: MP5K reload Animations
  • Animations: Added aimed pose for sitting with rifle.
  • Animations: Drinking from pond and well.
  • Loot: Added MP5 with magazines
  • Loot: Added military Pilotka side cap
  • Map: Karmanovka has returned
  • Map: Novodmitrovsk has been added
  • Map: Industrial area of Novodmitrovsk has been added.
  • Map: Tenement area near Novodmitrovsk has been added.
  • Map: Dobroe village is added.
  • Map: New administrative buildings has been added in Novo.
  • Item: Flashbang grenade
  • Item: Hand grenade
  • Item: Added green and black color variants of the ZSh3 helmet. Can be crafted.
  • Sound: Play sound when using the bow.
  • Server: Security Improvement Hotfix

Fixed:
  • Actions: Painting 75 akm drum magazine
  • Actions: Crafting fur backpack
  • Actions: AKM buttstock painting
  • Actions: Breaking apart backpacks, down into parts
  • Actions: Leather backpack crafting
  • Actions: Raised chance to ignite fire in wind
  • Actions: Fixed crash with meat duplication in fireplace/inventory
  • Actions: Can't eat meat directly from the fireplace
  • Animations: Fixed hand movement at the end of SKS reloading.
  • Animations: Hand clipping in unarmed run.
  • Animations: Crouch walks and runs replaced with new animations.
  • Animations: Crouch idle pose adjusted to better show items in player's hand.
  • Animations: Sprint with gun replaced with new animation.
  • Animations: Jump and vualt animations updated
  • Animations: Hand poses added for granades, pelts, alcohol tincture, fishing rod, magazines, woods.
  • Animations: Zombie attack animations polished.
  • Animations: Gestures poses fixed.
  • Animations: Two handed arming animations fixed.
  • Animations: Fixed an issue where surrender kept getting cancelled when used with one handed melee weapons
  • Animations: Fixed an issue where vomiting was not working properly with 2 handed melee weapons
  • Animations: Fixed an issue where drinking animation was not playing when the player was in prone
  • Animations: Throwing items reconfigured, staying wound up should not prevent the player from getting knocked down or cuffed
  • Animations: Leaning tweaked in transitional states, should now allow for smoother transitions while leaning
  • Animations: Fixed an issue where the character would not roll left/right with binocs in raised prone state
  • Gear: Alpha sorting in alcohol tincture model
  • Item: Hacksaw hand placement
  • Sound: Arrow loading
  • Sound: Arrow ejecting
  • Sound: Fishing bait check

ifZmzk6o6rTeO.png

Upcoming features set to be implemented in the immediate future

• More Zombies (Currently turned down to save on server performance)
  • Multithreaded Server
  • Respawning Zombies & Loot (Turned off to save on server performance)
  • Server Management Options
  • Animals & Hunting
  • Server hopping and combat logging prevention (Turned off to save on server performance)
  • Additional Anti-hack and Security
  • Cooking & Gathering Resources
  • More weapons, items, and crafting options

Changes from the mod

• Weapon models are being completely redone
  • New audio will be recorded for the game. Everything from the mod will be replaced including weapons, ambient sounds, vehicles, etc.
  • Zombie pathing and AI have been fixed (Work ongoing, both are due for another rewrite).
  • Game engine is based on the RV3 engine from Take on Helicopters. The backend was completely rewritten for Server/Client architecture.
  • New, dynamic, rainfall.
  • Servers can now support over 150 players at once (Work ongoing, pending server optimization).
  • Zombie spawns and AI are handled by the server.
  • New animations and skeletons have been created for players and zombies.
  • New Chernarus+ Map with thousands of improvements from textures, foliage improvements, increased devastation, areas, general improvements to realism, and more.
  • New areas. Apartment area near Chernogorsk, new towns, roads, new swamp areas, derelict cargo ship along eastern shoreline, as well as numerous additions to already existing areas.
  • All buildings can now be entered, with custom loot spawns, textures, and rooms for every house. Hospitals, schools, military buildings, and more have been completely reworked with new areas added to each.
  • New inventory system with the ability to switch out cosmetic items on the character such as different clothes.
  • Robust crafting system has been implemented.
  • Weapons no longer spawn with attachments, they are crafted from items scavenged from the world.
  • Items need to be disinfected if the previous user had a disease, water needs to be purified with tablets or boiled, etc. Disinfectant can also be used as a poison.
  • Radios have been added for direct communication between players. Other players can intercept and listen in on these communications. Radios can be set on the ground and set to transmit to lure players in.
  • [Future]Barricading and base building tools.
  • [Future]Vehicles are being completely redone - new handling mechanics, modular repairs, and sounds.
  • [Future]Loot is spawned based on a global economy.
  • [Future]Entire Northern portion of the map is being redone with new towns, areas, and sights. This portion is already partially implemented, towns, rail road tracks, train station, and more can be seen, but more work has yet to be done.
  • [Future]Several medium to large islands placed throughout the map.

FACE

Banned
Last picture is unavailable, I guess the wait for the Alpha release was longer than you thought it'd be :p

Edit: You're fast :p

Edit 2: Good OT, man. Has all the important info you need and isn't bloated.

Jburton

Banned
Enjoy lads, Wasteland is my mod of choice and I am jealous you guys are getting the standalone.

p.s. Stary is bad news no matter the mod lol.

creyas

BOUGHT ON STEAM DOWNLOADING OH MY GOD

..can't actually play today and have to do some overtime at work tomorrow. It's going to be a long day. :(

RyanDG

Guys... I've decided I'm clairvoyant.

I had a dream last night about Day-Z. I dreamt I was crashing a helicopter into the side of a mountain because of lag. I woke up this morning thinking I was about to re-install it again for the umpteenth time, and decided against it. But I think it has to be a sign of things to come. Dreaming about Day-Z must mean that I've somehow tapped into a subconscious hive mind that has become cognizant of an impending launch, right?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93752979&postcount=18032

I'll see everyone in the Mumble server after work tonight. This shit's on.

Don't want to piss you guys off by asking this question but I don't want to waste money so...

Can my laptop run this?
i5-3230m 2.6 ghz with turbo boost up to 3.2ghz
Nvidia GT 730M with 2 GB VRAM
4GB DDR3

I can upgrade to 8GB of RAM for $40 if that's the limiting factor.

Grief.exe

The deed is done

I just did a reformat last week so running lean

PK3lA4X.png

Don't want to piss you guys off by asking this question but I don't want to waste money so...

Can my laptop run this?
i5-3230m 2.6 ghz with turbo boost up to 3.2ghz
Nvidia GT 730M with 2 GB VRAM
4GB DDR3

I can upgrade to 8GB of RAM for $40 if that's the limiting factor.

You will be fine with your set up as is. They haven't gone through an optimization pass, but they have moved the majority of the calculations over to server-side with the new engine, bringing performance requirements down.

Top Bottom