• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big shipment of PS4 at Target today?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Osan AB an hour ago:

KBVzcJt.jpg

KF11AEb.jpg
It's like they want you to trip over them and then buy one to compensate for kicking it.

Reading the various posts in this thread and seeing the photographic evidence, I don't believe that 3+ million sold to consumer number for X1. I mean that would mean X1 yields are so good that they keep producing at this high rate that every store has them stuffed and they are getting sold as soon as they are available and then they get restocked again. Also I believe a lot of folks bought X1 just because they could not find a PS4 for Xmas that gave it some numbers for december period.

Anyways, we'll see the what NPD results reveal.

Reading the various posts in this thread and seeing the photographic evidence, I don't believe that 3+ million sold to consumer number for X1. I mean that would mean X1 yields are so good that they keep producing at this high rate that every store has them stuffed and they are getting sold as soon as they are available and then they get restocked again. Also I believe a lot of folks bought X1 just because they could not find a PS4 for Xmas that gave it some numbers for december period.

Honestly I don't think they would bullshit about the numbers like that. I just think that after the holidays the sales dropped like a rock.

3m isn't hard to believe. the hardcore xbox fans bought the majority, casuals probably made up a good chunk, and of course there are some that wanted PS4's but couldn't wait for some reason.

I can easily see some casuals buying the xbox on the simple fact that they were available and didn't seem to have an alternative. they might not even know the PS4 launched with it's bare shelves.

Finalizer

Swung by that Target again today.

sUyUn8j.jpg

Looks like 3 PS4s sold since yesterday, unless some stock was replaced from the back. /shrug

pUJjwKO.jpg

Day One finally found a home... Maybe.

o1ID7JR.jpg

Ducks were moved off the pond to the ground, even the white Day One Edition. Contrast to the geese, which were totally gone out by the time I checked back. Looks like geese are set to take NPD by a landslide at this rate, but that's just my anecdote.

o1ID7JR.jpg

Ducks were moved off the pond to the ground, even the white Day One Edition. Contrast to the geese, which were totally gone out by the time I checked back. Looks like geese are set to take NPD by a landslide at this rate, but that's just my anecdote.

Bah we all know you're falsifying those photos to fit your own fowl narrative

Ducks are selling just as fast but some companies are clearly just much better at US supply logistics than other companies

qko

Swung by that Target again today.

sUyUn8j.jpg

Looks like 3 PS4s sold since yesterday, unless some stock was replaced from the back. /shrug

pUJjwKO.jpg

Day One finally found a home... Maybe.

o1ID7JR.jpg

Those PS4's sold out and are out of stock and you know it...

Local target i've had the displeasure of having to go to 3 days straight has had the same 7 Xbones on the shelf in the same position each time I've been there. Never seen a PS4 on shelf yet, case is always empty

Bit of a thread hijack(?) but for what it's worth, I went around a bunch of stores in Wellington, NZ today and basically they've only got a handful of pre-orders so you'll be able to just walk in and pick one up come Tuesday. Apparently, demand dropped right off after Christmas and a lot of people got fed-up with "join the queue" and, well, didn't.

So Kiwis in the capital that don't have one, there you.

Was thinking about maybe picking up one myself.

They'll probably also start advertising it again, now.

oggob

This thread will have to do...

Australia looks to be on track to seeing stock on shelves by Feb, whilst EB Games are still taking orders for the big Feb shipment and most other stores offer something similar.

It seems we've had another trickle (or deluge?) of stock hitting stores, a colleague at work picked his console up yesterday, where he mentioned that he 'joined the waiting list' just prior to Christmas. So it would seem we still have a 3-4 week wait over here at the moment.

All right! Day over, and I managed to get updated pictures.

Holy fuck you are playing with fire. I'm at Walmart and if we ever did that we'd be out the door in an instant. I don't know if best buy is as anal as Walmart on this, but, I bet you they are so...

myca77

Well I picked up my PS4 from Argos today; I had planned on getting one in March, but what the hell my tax bill is less than I'd planned for.

I did have a little chat with the woman who served me as she said that her son had treated himself to one for christmas. She pretty much stated that they don't get a lot of stock of them in, but when they do they're gone within a day or two. The one I picked up was the last of the batch they got on Monday. I guess I should have asked her about the xbox one, but didn't think about it; there were four of them out on the shelves though, and checking the online stock checker for my local store they have them to order.

Like most of theses types of posts it's purely anecdotal.

Amir0x

Banned
TrojanBlade said:

Remember, PS4 is in over 50 countries at this point, whereas the XBO sold in 13 countries. And remember also, that even in most of those 13 launch countries, sales of XBO are fairly inconsequential - they amount to a mere ripple in the pond, and they always will, since most of those places are Sonyland (as a side note, that was always one of my primary problems with XBO's strategy outside of the whole DRM fiasco - that it was clearly a console designed for one or two major countries, and did not take into account the different global needs. They are suffering for it, I think. Videogames are an increasingly global industry).

So considering that fact, is it really so hard - given the advances in production over the past years with smart phones and whatnot - that a company that really basically has to just divert stock to the US and the UK (and judging by things there, even that is at an end) can show an overwhelming level of stock? 50 countries vs. 13 countries and two primary focal countries (US/UK) vs. a dozen at least (US/UK/France/Italy/Spain/etc)

I think XBO still had a fairly great demand in December in the US, but it was simply that Microsoft was diverting the vast majority of their stock to that territory, and Sony was constantly out of stock because a.) their demand was obviously immeasurably higher and b.) they have to ship to many more countries and focus on a larger group of them.

Honestly I don't think they would bullshit about the numbers like that. I just think that after the holidays the sales dropped like a rock.

Yeah, I don't think in this case it would be very smart for them to have fabricated a number, because it wouldn't be terribly difficult to find out in short order whether they were way off or not. It's real numbers, as far as I'm concerned.

tomfusion

Neo Member
I keep reading about stock being diverted of the xbox one to the US and the UK, and although it could be true, this isn't something you could decide to do in a heartbeat and would have to be taken into account before the contents were assembled into the boxes. Although I believe it is a 120/240V power supply, the power cord that plugs into the wall would need to be specific to the region......Europe as a whole may share a common plug type (not sure) the the UK one is definitely different, and so is the one here in the US.

As far as sales amounts....I guess we'll find out soon.

Amir0x

Banned
I keep reading about stock being diverted of the xbox one to the US and the UK, and although it could be true, this isn't something you could decide to do in a heartbeat and would have to be taken into account before the contents were assembled into the boxes. Although I believe it is a 120/240V power supply, the power cord that plugs into the wall would need to be specific to the region......Europe as a whole may share a common plug type (not sure) the the UK one is definitely different, and so is the one here in the US.

As far as sales amounts....I guess we'll find out soon.

Not only is it done, but Sony themselves had to do it to meet demand in their most important markets this Holiday. So imagine if Sony had to do it due to crazy demand, that Microsoft already knew they'd be focusing most of their stock in the US/UK due to past trends, so it only makes sense they'd only increase that focus as the other markets fast dried up in sales (as we can see they have).

tomfusion

Neo Member
Not only is it done, but Sony themselves had to do it to meet demand in their most important markets this Holiday. So imagine if Sony had to do it due to crazy demand, that Microsoft already knew they'd be focusing most of their stock in the US/UK due to past trends, so it only makes sense they'd only increase that focus as the other markets fast dried up in sales (as we can see they have).

I don't doubt it occurs, but the turnaround time can't be that short. Yes, some were air-freight supposedly, but the rest are a few weeks (I assume) on a container in a boat to their destination. But the power cord/regional instructions etc would have to be determined at the factory before they are even boxed up and shipped out in batches to even be placed inside these containers. I just find it hard to conceive that someone at Microsoft was able to see sale numbers for some European countries say late November/Early December, and get stock redirected (along with localized stuff I mentioned inside the box) and get them in stores within weeks. Plus isn't there customs and excise etc that can hold up shipments even when they arrive. Maybe only a day or so, but when the turnaround is so small, that seems significant. I'm no expert on logistics though! :)

Amir0x

Banned
I don't doubt it occurs, but the turnaround time can't be that short. Yes, some were air-freight supposedly, but the rest are a few weeks (I assume) on a container in a boat to their destination. But the power cord/regional instructions etc would have to be determined at the factory before they are even boxed up and shipped out in batches to even be placed inside these containers. I just find it hard to conceive that someone at Microsoft was able to see sale numbers for some European countries say late November/Early December, and get stock redirected (along with localized stuff I mentioned inside the box) and get them in stores within weeks. Plus isn't there customs and excise etc that can hold up shipments even when they arrive. Maybe only a day or so, but when the turnaround is so small, that seems significant. I'm no expert on logistics though! :)

It's not what you think, most likely. Consider this: you as a company probably know around the number of units you're producing per day, per week, per month. All companies have a plan of where to ship and when, and how many units. So let's say you see the numbers coming back in the US and the UK a week, two weeks after launch, and you realize your previous plan is no longer going to work if you intend to keep any units on the shelves. So you look at where you previously had stock scheduled to go, and you simply direct them to go to the US or the UK instead. I mean all stock shipping has lead time, they plan these things out.

It's not like you're thinking where they have units in the middle of a flight to Saudi Arabia and suddenly an alarm goes off and they're all "quick, shove the units off the plane - they need to go to the USA now!" It's more they look at their future planned shipments, see X amount is going to Saudi Arabi in the third week of December, and instead ensure those systems go to the US or UK. In other words, they never make it on the plane to the wrong country.

I think the point was that if they realized on Dec. 3rd, for example, that US demand was super-high, it might be too late to do anything about it because the German Christmas shipment was already on the boat.

Of course, these decisions may have been made in September. That's why pre-orders matter.

Amir0x

Banned
I think the point was that if they realized on Dec. 3rd, for example, that US demand was super-high, it might be too late to do anything about it because the German Christmas shipment was already on the boat.

Of course, these decisions may have been made in September. That's why pre-orders matter.

Obviously the expectation is that they didn't realize too late. Sony and Microsoft are smart companies, they were almost certainly monitoring stock levels and sales extremely close, as well as communicating with their retail partners, for just the sort of stock level modifications we've had reported now.

tomfusion

Neo Member
It's not what you think, most likely. Consider this: you as a company probably know around the number of units you're producing per day, per week, per month. All companies have a plan of where to ship and when, and how many units. So let's say you see the numbers coming back in the US and the UK a week, two weeks after launch, and you realize your previous plan is no longer going to work if you intend to keep any units on the shelves. So you look at where you previously had stock scheduled to go, and you simply direct them to go to the US or the UK instead. I mean all stock shipping has lead time, they plan these things out.

It's not like you're thinking where they have units in the middle of a flight to Saudi Arabia and suddenly an alarm goes off and they're all "quick, shove the units off the plane - they need to go to the USA now!" It's more they look at their future planned shipments, see X amount is going to Saudi Arabi in the third week of December, and instead ensure those systems go to the US or UK. In other words, they never make it on the plane to the wrong country.

There's no doubt that they are not rookies in global shipping and demand and have far more data available to them than we would ever have. My main issue I have with this theory (on the time of the turnaround/redirect) is how you can't necessarily redirect "stock" as the stock is already assembled/packaged for the region in which it was intended. Not sure how many variations there are, but aside from the physical power cord in the box, there may also be 'legal' stuff (FCC in the USA for example) that may need to be included in the literature or on the box art itself. The UK for example has a 3 prong 240V plug, so that would have to be manufactured specifically for that region, and when I say manufactured, I mean the process of getting it ready to ship from the company that makes them, not necessarily putting together the insides of the actual console. Again, I can see this adding to the turnaround time, that is already lengthy due to the time sitting in a container crossing oceans etc.

tomfusion

Neo Member

Yes, that was really the main point of my message, though I may have been a little too 'wordy' with my explanation!! :) Based on the fact they weren't getting any sales data until late November, I can't really see them being able to make huge global shipment changes in time for the holidays, other then smaller batches that may or may not having been shipping air freight. Isn't it tomorrow that we get US numbers?

Tsundere

Banned

By now they're most definitely over 3Million sold, but I believe they were guestimating the 3M sold mark when they announced it based off a rounded number that was calculated off retailer shipments and replenishment. As we've seen from many posters and what seems to be a unanimously accepted conclusion is that Xbox Ones are not selling out at the vast majority of retailers, and are in fact piling up. Perhaps retailer over-estimated (much like Microsoft) the projected demand for their console after the holidays.

Xisiqomelir

All right! Day over, and I managed to get updated pictures.

Here's the (lack of) PS4 Numbers.
20140112_144856.jpg

Nothing district wide. The order numbers aren't even necessarily accurate, because they aren't in transit, and the most recent shipment they all received were well over 100 per store. DC for the area lists 124 units. 124! Gah. I know Sony is shipping them all over, but the demand through our stores is clearing us out immediately on availability.

Xbox One, updated from yesterday.
20140112_144838.jpg

Sold about 10 district wide since the last photo I posted. The DC listing on another page is still around 6000 units.

So! Yeah. Again, the weekly sales numbers are not to be taken as gospel, or even sort of an actual metric of what the stores have sold... The use of that number is for adjustments, or End of Life/At Risk product... as in, if you haven't sold one in 3 months, and you have x product, how much needs to be sent back to the warehouse, etc.

One of the other guys was talking about how their DC system works, and ours is similar, the numbers in that screen are not used by our DC teams. They have their own internal metrics and reports that are far more accurate and reflect much more important divisions than our quick reference inventory system.

Cheers! Hope your weekends went well.

EDIT: I removed the original links, but I also edited the info on the original account to keep any identifying information from showing up. I'll make sure it's not an issue with any further info I post.

Playstations not in stock, Xboxes not on order, eh?

Abdiel

Just wanted to give a heads up anyone in the New England area. best buy Salem NH has almost 40 ps4s, as does Portland Maine. Good hunting everyone, they just came in this morning apparently

Yesterday at my local target (Middle River Baltimore Maryland), they had 20 PS4s and about an equal number of Xbox Ones. This morning the ps4s are gone.

chrislowe

See all those sitting Xboxes and know we dont get those until autumn 2014 just shows that Microsoft misscalculated the demand on different markets.
Shouldnt they make the release earlier for the waiting countries instead ?

Yes, that was really the main point of my message, though I may have been a little too 'wordy' with my explanation!! :) Based on the fact they weren't getting any sales data until late November, I can't really see them being able to make huge global shipment changes in time for the holidays, other then smaller batches that may or may not having been shipping air freight. Isn't it tomorrow that we get US numbers?
I see what you're saying WRT to sales numbers coming in too late to make any significant pre-holiday changes, but my point was they may have started making adjustments months before based on pre-order numbers. i.e. "Here it is only August and we already have 1.5M US pre-orders; we should be sure to send them at least 2.5M units by Christmas."

Plus, I'm pretty sure it only takes a container ship about two weeks to reach the US from China and clear customs. Not sure about Europe though.

Is the xbone really this bad? I already have a ps4 but I found a sealed day one x1 with ryse and dr3 for 450 and reading threads like this make me question whether or not I should buy it.

Jomjom

Banned
Is the xbone really this bad? I already have a ps4 but I found a sealed day one x1 with ryse and dr3 for 450 and reading threads like this make me question whether or not I should buy it.

I think this is exactly the kind of perception problem MS will have to solve with the mass public in general. People who aren't in the know will see Xbox Ones sitting on the shelf and wonder to themselves, "It just released and all the boxes sitting there makes it look like it's not in demand. I wonder what's wrong with it? Maybe I shouldn't get it or wait until I hear good things about it."

VillageBC

I haven't seen either console in the wild in my portion of Canada yet.

When are NPD numbers? I thought they were supposed to be released already.

Top Bottom