• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/18 - 2/24

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bcn-ron said:
Do you actually believe this yourself? You have the full data right in front of you, and yet you ignore it and prefer to draw conclusions from your arbitrary if not biased selection of two weeks. Oh I wonder why. In case you didn't notice, you are wrong.

I actually wanted to take you up on this, rather than point out how much of a schmuck twat you are in this post. Rather, I'll post the following for you to digest as you will:

Code:
WEEKLY SALES 01-01-08 - 02-25-08
360				Wii				PS3
18,235				195,331				69,944
9,035				93,708				25,531
7041				86,395				21105
7,365				83,754				19,996
6,130				65,740				18,727
4,811				78,550				23,431
5,210				63,618				20,676
4,183				78,506				19,315
[B]62,010				745,602				218,725 <-- TOTALS[/B]

Code:
WEEKLY SALES 12-31-08 - 02-24-08
360				Wii				PS3
9,763				207,797				64,183
4,690				84,530				38,907
4,552				81,638				38,117
4,296				74,544				34,363
6,060				94,473				41,796
3,615				81,737				23,985
2,198				78,583				17,637
2,001				63,504				14,060
[B]37,175				766,806				273,048 <--- TOTALS[/B]

Code:
2008 TOTALS PERCENTAGE OF 2007 TOTALS

360				Wii				PS3
59.95%				102.84%				124.84%

Wow. The PS3 is really 25% up on the year!!! It's also down 25% the past two weeks!! WHATEVER COULD IT MEAN? Look closer, and don't let your own math fool you. What would a 25% increase year on year for the first two months mean for the Wii? That would be a 187k unit increase, or over 8 weeks an additional 23k units per week. That would be ridiculous! But the Wii didn't hit anywhere close to that, but it did see a 3% increase year on year. Still, an incredible feat. (it sold 775k in January and February of 2007)

What does a 25% increase year on year for the PS3 mean? And why do you think it is significant? The PS3 sold 218k units in January and February of 2007. That would be a 54k increase, around 7k unit increase per week. Not as big of a deal as you thought, huh?

Let's put it this way. Wii's 2.84% increase amounts to an 18k unit increase. The PS3's 25% increase amounts to a 54k unit increase. Somehow a 3% increase for the Wii equals one third of PS3's 25% increase. It doesn't seem fair honestly. So what was the point of your aside? Oh, that's right. I was pulling two weeks out of the year because of "my bias." Numbers don't lie brother. Year on year, both consoles are tracking REMARKABLY CLOSE to last years numbers. The PS3 is tracking SLIGHTLY higher, but I contend that the past 3 weeks 99% match for both the Wii and the PS3 shows something far different:

That I was exactly fucking right, and the Sony is up shit creek without a paddle. 25% up for the year, 25% down for the week. Nobody cares, because it's extremely shortsighted. My point stands and you have been rebuffed:

Panther-God-Damned-Lotus said:
But what does it mean in Sale-Age? It means that the Wii will be hitting 50k-80k for the majority of the next 6 months barring major releases, and unfortunately for Sony, the PS3 will be hitting 12k-25k for the same period.

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
Isn't the port of that Namco musical PS2 RPG also in March? That might have a chance for 50+ too.
Trusty Bell? I don't think the PS3 version has a set date yet, it's just "spring"?

Rolf NB

What the fuck.
PantherLotus said:
It means that both consoles are tracking EXTREMELY close to last year's totals
They don't. Period. Look at your own fucking data to see that they don't.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
CHART FRENZY RESUME

mc-marketshare-pie-65.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-65.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
_leech_ said:
You have awesome graphs & charts, PantherLotus. Why not do the same thing for NPD and worldwide numbers?

1. While I find the poster with whom I just humiliated entertaining, the ability to do that within 4-5 posts is important. Even though that I can appreciate his point (what's your definition of extremely close? is 7k units per week not close?), I don't have the patience for the pure idiocy that exists in the NPD threads. At least this guy is trying.

2. Not enough data. I have 65 weeks of data accumulated from Media Create for this generation. I can see ups, downs, and even the most minor of dips and bumps that make these discussions far more interesting. It's the same reason I like fantasy baseball more than fantasy football. Somebody that does his homework in baseball will be rewarded over time with over 160 chance to get it right. In football, you only get 14 or so shots (including the last couple weeks for playoffs).

3. The way NPD was taken away from neoGaf, then mr. sonycowboy (as bad as any drohne or drinky at one point) promoted out of nowhere, and then an extreme drop in actual data released...it all went down funny to me. I'd rather choose not to be a part of that and participate with that data in other ways in other places.

4. Not enough attention. If you didn't know, I'm a bit of an attention whore and I live for every moment that my work gets noticed. NPD simply doesn't reward for at all. Here, I feel like I really contribute and my stuff is appreciated.

Thanks a lot though. Every time somebody notices my work, it makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

Lightning

Banned
PantherLotus said:
That I was exactly fucking right, and the Sony is up shit creek without a paddle.
I don't think it's quite that bad and this years software is looking better than last years. Hopefully PS3 will hit 3mil by the end of 2008.

Saitou

Banned
3. The way NPD was taken away from neoGaf, then mr. sonycowboy (as bad as any drohne or drinky at one point) promoted out of nowhere,
Not to accuse or disrespect, but aren't you also a fervient Sony fan? Why would you find this bad?

But yeah, NPD's almost not worth it. Almost.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ yes, i am a sony fan. and my opinions on the situation are my own and would prefer not to share them.

Lightning said:
I don't think it's quite that bad and this years software is looking better than last years. Hopefully PS3 will hit 3mil by the end of 2008.

I agree with this. Simply pointing out that Sony should want to track 250%-300% ahead of last year, not "25%!!"

More thoughts I think I think:
1. MGS = 2*Gundabump.
2. Wii will match last year's LTD 100%, +/- 5%.
3. Sony will will pick up speed as next year-end approaches, closing around 150% of last year's LTD.
4. Sony needs to get to $299. NOW.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
PantherLotus said:
I agree with this. Simply pointing out that Sony should want to track 250%-300% ahead of last year, not "25%!!"

More thoughts I think I think:
1. MGS = 2*Gundabump.
2. Wii will match last year's LTD 100%, +/- 5%.
3. Sony will will pick up speed as next year-end approaches, closing around 150% of last year's LTD.
4. Sony needs to get to $299. NOW.

i dont see how sony getting to 299 will somehow magically be good for them. its just a number. sure its cheaper, and less than what it is now, but seriously, why not just suggest they get to "99 NOW" instead?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
davepoobond said:
i dont see how sony getting to 299 will somehow magically be good for them. its just a number. sure its cheaper, and less than what it is now, but seriously, why not just suggest they get to "99 NOW" instead?
Because at this point in time, getting down to 99 in the Japan market will cause more problems than solve. 299 wouldn't cause as much.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
davepoobond said:

:lol

"it's just a number"

I can't believe you would drop that bomb, in this thread. Is it not like numbers are everything here? C'mon man. It's psychological. They could give them away but it's not the point. That 300 dollar barrier is huge, and we ALL know it.

$299 is the sweet spot for hardcore gaming. It might be too late though. Maybe the PSIII-2?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
PantherLotus said:

"it's just a number"

I can't believe you would drop that bomb, in this thread. Is it not like numbers are everything here? C'mon man. It's psychological. They could give them away but it's not the point. That 300 dollar barrier is huge, and we ALL know it.

$299 is the sweet spot for hardcore gaming. It might be too late though. Maybe the PSIII-2?

"$299" doesn't even exist in japan. They don't go by 299 Yen, do they? its something magical like 34,000 yen or whatever

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
davepoobond said:
"$299" doesn't even exist in japan. They don't go by 299 Yen, do they? its something magical like 34,000 yen or whatever
Now you're not even trying. Haven't tjhooker and company taught you better?

Vinnk

PantherLotus said:
CHART FRENZY COMPLETION

Winner! You get an S ranking.

And way to dole out the ownage.

I also want Sony to do well. I had some of my favorite gameing moments with the PS2. And the PS3 has the tech to do some amazing things. But as Panther said, the numbers don't lie. And claiming that the tide is turning or that Sony's current performance is good is mearly wishful thinking.

True, trends can occasionally chage unexpectedly but the expected trend is that Wii will contunue to dominate and PS3 (while possibly doing better than last year) will remain a distant second.

I'm not arguing that that is a good thing, just that that's how things are weather we like it or not.

Open your eyes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
PantherLotus said:

"it's just a number"

Btw, the PS3 is already at the price that the PS2 was when it launched. It's already at 299. It needs to get below that by $50-100.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
PantherLotus said:
3. The way NPD was taken away from neoGaf, then mr. sonycowboy (as bad as any drohne or drinky at one point) promoted out of nowhere, and then an extreme drop in actual data released...it all went down funny to me. I'd rather choose not to be a part of that and participate with that data in other ways in other places.

I thought I was the only one who remembers this. Maybe everyone else just became fearful after he became a mod. It is strange how he has changed though. He seems fairly balanced now, or he just doesn't let the old side show.

Rolf NB

Fredescu said:
Yes, 7k a week difference is a fucking chasm.

A very tiny fucking chasm.
They aren't tracking "extremely close". A strong start followed by a sharp fall is not the same kind of tracking as a flat line, even when the sum total ends up close. More importantly, the conclusion that tracking will "continue" to stay close is a false one when tracking hasn't been close to begin with.

What 7k difference are you talking about anyway?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
MHP2nd is a beast, MHP2G is less than a month away and MHP2 is still in the charts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bcn-ron said:
They aren't tracking "extremely close". A strong start followed by a sharp fall is not the same kind of tracking as a flat line, even when the sum total ends up close. More importantly, the conclusion that tracking will "continue" to stay close is a false one when tracking hasn't been close to begin with.

What 7k difference are you talking about anyway?

The same difference you seem to be taking so seriously.

7k per week * 8 weeks = 56k units. The difference between last year and this year. Not sure what you're not getting, other than you have a difference of opinion about what "extremely close" means.

I mean, what are you even debating here? Closeness? If you can't see it, you never will. The truth is smacking you in the face like a cosmic 2x4, and I'm swingin it. If it doesn't wake you up with some clarity, I'll just have to get a bigger stick.

Busaiku

PantherLotus said:
1. MGS = 2*Gundabump.
I think that may be fairly unlikely.
That'd make it one of the biggest jumps for the system. I think maybe even the biggest.

I'm not quite sure how much of a bump the PS2 got from MGS 2/3, but I know that the games themselves don't usually match Everyone's Golf, Winning Eleven, or Dynasty Warriors.

Also with Dynasty Warriors 6, it got a the 40GB and the White model. I'm not completely sure if it was bundled or not with the game.

I don't think MGS4 would push it anywhere near that much.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Busaiku, perhaps I was being a bit bold on that prediction, which would come out around 100k. I think it will fit somewhere between the gundabump and 100k. I must confess I know little about MGS sales as a series.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ethelred said:
The fervent prayers of desperate forum fanboys whose lives depend upon Sony's success?

Prayers have been know to work. I saw it in a video game once

jgwhiteus

Busaiku said:
I think that may be fairly unlikely.
That'd make it one of the biggest jumps for the system. I think maybe even the biggest.

I'm not quite sure how much of a bump the PS2 got from MGS 2/3, but I know that the games themselves don't usually match Everyone's Golf, Winning Eleven, or Dynasty Warriors.

Also with Dynasty Warriors 6, it got a the 40GB and the White model. I'm not completely sure if it was bundled or not with the game.

I don't think MGS4 would push it anywhere near that much.

Did Sony announce an MGS bundle for Japan? If not, I'd think they'd try to release some sort of bundle or revision around that time (new color, whatever) to get some combined momentum going, instead of just relying on the game itself to move systems. Though I don't know how big MGS is in Japan generally.

Rolf NB

PantherLotus said:

The same difference you seem to be taking so seriously.

7k per week * 8 weeks = 56k units. The difference between last year and this year. Not sure what you're not getting, other than you have a difference of opinion about what "extremely close" means.
But it's not 7k every week. That's just an average that ignores the much larger fluctuations between the data points that we both have. The curves look completely different. The PS3 January performance was not "extremely close". January 2008 was much stronger than January 2007 (+40% by my reckoning). The February performance was not "extremely close" either, as Feb 2008 is 11% down from Feb 2007, and the most recent data point is even 27% down from last year. This is all detail information you throw out deliberately so you can hold onto your false "it's extremely close, so it will probably stay extremely close" projection.

The PS3's sales are trending downwards right now, and the correct projection would be an even weaker March performance. Tell me for whom I am spinning right now, if you think my biases cloud my ability to analyse the data.
PantherLotus said:
I mean, what are you even debating here? Closeness? If you can't see it, you never will. The truth is smacking you in the face like a cosmic 2x4, and I'm swingin it. If it doesn't wake you up with some clarity, I'll just have to get a bigger stick.
Wow. Look, I understand you being in discomfort when your bullshit spin gets challenged. The most effective cause of action for you would be to stop posting bullshit spin. Getting angry and flailing your arms around like this doesn't help your argument at all.
Keep doing your graphs. Stuff the shitty analysis and the insults when someone disagrees with you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yeah, those curves look completely different. One looks like a really steep decline, the other looks like a REALLY steep decline. Way to defend your ideas, schmuck! ;)

jgwhiteus

Tideas said:
nope. MGS4 ;)

Wait, why would sales rise next week (or actually, this week) from the MGS4 announcement...wouldn't they rise when it was actually released? It's not like people didn't know it was coming out this year and were just waiting for the release date announcement to get a PS3 or something...

Some people (myself included) thought announcing the MGS4 bundle for the US 4 months in advance might actually hurt PS3 sales in the short term, in that people might hold off on buying one until the MGS4/DS3 bundle comes out, since it seems to be a superior value to current bundles. Though I can kind of see Sony's logic now - maybe announcing it 4 months in advance gives people time to save up and will make those who are on the fence less likely to jump to another console in the meantime.

Top Bottom