• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC poll: Americans now support Muslim ban 50-46. Terrorism is now the biggest issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll: One in Four Americans Rank Terrorism as Top Issue But Americans Split on Muslim Ban
After 49 people were killed at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando on June 12, a new poll finds that one in four — 24 percent — Americans ranked terrorism as the issue that matters most to them right now.
Americans are split on how they feel about a temporary ban. Half of Americans support the ban and 46 percent oppose, the poll showed.

The poll also shows that half of Americans — 51 percent — are worried that they or someone in their family might become a victim of a terrorist attack, while 48 percent said they are not worried.
The mass shooting has also revived efforts to improve stricter gun control laws at the national level. On Wednesday, Senate Democrats engaged in a nearly 15-hour filibuster on gun control after the gunman legally purchased a semi-automatic rifle and handgun prior to the shooting. A majority of Americans — 61 percent — support stricter gun control laws in the United States; 38 percent oppose stricter gun control laws. A similar number of Americans — 60 percent — said they support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons and 38 percent said they oppose a nationwide ban.

Nipo

This is dumb. The shooter was an American citizen through-and-through.

"Yea, but if we banned Muslims sooner his parents couldn't have immigrated! Might as well start now. " That was literally someone's response when i pointed that out. This election season is going to be insane.

saelz8

Why are people always so fucking scared? Statistically, you are 33,842 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack.

Fuck off.

I think I would be horrified to see polling on whether we should put existing Muslims in camps while we figure out what's going on

The poll also shows that half of Americans — 51 percent — are worried that they or someone in their family might become a victim of a terrorist attack, while 48 percent said they are not worried.

It works. Every time. Not just in America. People get afraid of the sensationalized headlines in the media and it distorts them. Your chances of dying in a terrorist attack? miniscule compared to the alternatives.

screen%20shot%202015-02-12%20at%201.19.30%20pm.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...176900582.276176005.1466196381?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Our priorities in our fears does not stack up with what harms us. We are very hypocritical and a sense of mass hysteria engulfs us. This is not an American thing, but just classic conservatism. It's like this everywhere. It's why Terrorism works, because it's the fear of terror that leads to society changing. So much of what The United States has turned into after 9/11 have fed right into the hands of terrorist agenda.

This bullshit is completely irrational, even if unsurprising.

Americans are so damn dumb. All its gonna take for Trump to get elected is one good Terrorist attack in the fall.

Not really, his unfavorability ratings plunged even more after his little Twitter bonanza following the attack.

3N16MA

Banned
I still want to know how exactly you ban a Muslim from entering a country.

Do you simply ask them if they're Muslim? What happens when the person says "no" and they expect to be allowed in?

Kinda wonder about these polls...

Support for a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants goes up, yet support for Trump -- the candidate who most supports a ban on Muslim immigrants -- goes down.

Brinbe

Goddamn it, America. Not surprised at all. Luckily, Trump fucked things up or this could have been his ticket to the White House.

It doesn't matter that he was a US citizen. People actually think by banning muslims we can prevent their future offspring from eventually becoming terrorists. I'm sure a good portion of these people would be ok with kicking out current US muslims as well.

Measley

It doesn't matter that he was a US citizen. People actually think by banning muslims we can prevent their future offspring from eventually becoming terrorists. I'm sure a good portion of these people would be ok with kicking out current US muslims as well.

If those type of people get their way, they're not going to stop with the muslims.

This isn't good. Getting flashbacks of the Bush years. Pointing out that the shooter was a U.S. citizen does no good, either, since folks just say that we should have started banning muslims sooner. It actually bolsters their argument in their minds. Fucking people.

If you're gonna ban Muslims you're gonna have to ban everyone who follows Abrahamic faiths including Christianity, because all of them contribute daily to the homophobia that led to this attack. Heck, atheists aren't all innocent either. Ban everyone!

Why are people always so fucking scared? Statistically, you are 33,842 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack.

Fuck off.

I've never really understood the concept of quoting statistics to combat something as irrational as fear. Like, oh gosh I had no idea what the statistic was, I'm not scared anymore!

ezrarh

Ugh. Americans are still more likely to be killed or badly injured while in their car then they are due to terrorism. I'm guessing we're not looking to ban cars.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kinda wonder about these polls...

Support for a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants goes up, yet support for Trump -- the candidate who most supports a ban on Muslim immigrants -- goes down.

the former is just polling joe rando, the latter has a likely voter screen [or at the bare minimum a registered voter screen]

saelz8

They're going to broad stroke this shit to anyone from the Middle East = Muslim, aren't they?
Yes. Trump mentioned also banning anyone from any country involved in terrorism. Basically, religious minorities such as Yazidis, for example, would be banned from entering the US, based on their country of origin, not simply their ideology.

It works. Every time. Not just in America. People get afraid of the sensationalized headlines in the media and it distorts them. Your chances of dying in a terrorist attack? miniscule compared to the alternatives.
I have high blood pressure because I'm worried about terrorism!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom