• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Approval fades for ACHA after GOP forces it through House

lush

Info on poll:
The poll was conducted May 4-6 — with interviews beginning after the House’s 217-214 vote to advance the bill. All interviews were completed on Sunday, well before the announcement late Tuesday that Trump had fired FBI Director James Comey.

The ACHA:
Only 38 percent of voters approve of the GOP-drafted health care bill, the new poll shows — down from 42 percent last week, prior to the House’s party-line vote to advance the measure. Forty-four percent of voters disapprove of the bill, up significantly from 37 percent last month. Eighteen percent of voters say they don’t know or have no opinion of the bill.

"These latest polling numbers on the American Health Care Act could spell trouble for Republicans," said Kyle Dropp, Morning Consult's chief research officer and co-founder. "There is a notable enthusiasm gap: 29 percent strongly oppose the bill, but only 13 percent strongly support it. Moreover, we saw the number of Republican voters who strongly support the bill drop from 36 percent last week to 27 percent this week."

Meanwhile support for the ACA continues to grow:

In fact, voters have a more positive opinion of the law the new legislation seeks to supplant: Half of voters now approve of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, while 42 percent disapprove.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/poll-gop-health-care-bill-support-238176

Can't even imagine how negative consensus will be once the CBO is released.

In fact, voters have a more positive opinion of the law the new legislation seeks to supplant: Half of voters now approve of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, while 42 percent disapprove.

If they keep calling it the ACA and not Obamacare, the approval will get even higher. It's never going to be widely embraced, as many people have been indoctrinated since birth to be violently allergic to the word "healthcare," but it'll be solid.

Unfortunately, House Rs will never, ever, ever allow voters to forget whose signature is at the bottom of the ACA.

studyguy

When is the CBO report supposed to drop?

Last I heard it was still two weeks out if not more.
One would imagine the Senate is prepping their bill to present at the same time as the CBO score so they have something to bounce off of that train wreck.

Kurdel

Banned
I hope this becomes his Mission Accomplished

trump-takes-victory-lap-says-obamacare-is-essentially-dead-after-house-passes-gop-healthcare-bill.jpg

cameron

When is the CBO report supposed to drop?

"CBO to release estimate for House-passed version of the AHCA early in the week of May 22"
CBO and the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation are in the process of preparing a cost estimate for the House-passed version of the American Health Care Act. CBO anticipates being able to release that estimate early in the week of May 22 and will provide advance notice of the date and time of release before publishing it. CBO issued estimates for previous versions of the legislation on March 23 and March 13.

BobLoblaw

Banned
It's gonna get even worse when that CBO score hits in two weeks.
You stole my post but yeah, it's really gonna crater at that point. Can't (I can) believe those idiots put their name next to this. Republicans simply cannot govern, which makes sense given their entire platform is make-believe, ideological bullshit.

Maxim726X

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not even sure the bill in its current form will survive that long... Wonder if the Senate will just write their own version before it's unveiled.

Slowly but surely, even enthusiastic R voters are realizing the alternative is a death sentence to their loved ones. The "we won!" political football fervor is going to die down when grandma needs lung cancer surgery.

If they keep calling it the ACA and not Obamacare, the approval will get even higher. It's never going to be widely embraced, as many people have been indoctrinated since birth to be violently allergic to the word "healthcare," but it'll be solid.

Unfortunately, House Rs will never, ever, ever allow voters to forget whose signature is at the bottom of the ACA

Mitt Romney can't catch a break.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not even sure the bill in its current form will survive that long... Wonder if the Senate will just write their own version before it's unveiled.
The thing is, there isn't all that much to rewrite. The AHCA was specifically composed to pass through budget and avoid dem votes.

The senate won't be able to do all that much to keep this filibuster proof.

LakeEarth

I purely believe that much of Trumps base read 'House votes to repeal Obamacare', and now thinks that's it. It's repealed.

I purely believe that much of Trumps base read 'House votes to repeal Obamacare', and now thinks that's it. It's repealed.

On top of that, probably don't realize that the ACA and Obamacare are the same thing. Marketing is everything so many can't be dicked to go more than skin deep.

Averon

Doesn't matter. The GOP has shown that, time and time again, they would happily vote against what the people want if it meant advancing their agenda.

They figure they will ram this horrible healthcare bill through take the hits in the media and townhalls, and gamble that the outrage will subside enough by November 2018 for them to preserve their congressional majorities.

You are 100% spot on, but really, unfortunately, it's not just Trumps' base too. There are people on NeoGaf who are treating it this way as well... "Now if I lose my job with a pre-existing condition, I am fucked."

I place a lot of blame with misleading news stories and "BREAKING NEWS" reports every 5 seconds.

Top Bottom