• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound RPG elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strootman

So since most people seems to not have watched this video (that is actually old) and asked to see exploration, towns, customization and shit about scalebound, here it is.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFFK3BXuBo

Scaleboundtown.gif

Plus bonus exploration gifs

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Chobel

OMG! An RPG game has some RPG elements /s

With that title I expected some detailed list or a thorough video :/

gbland

hmmmm interesting. Yeah I haven't seen those features yet. I hope this game bodes well for the xbox one but i'm still sceptacle... Platinum Games seems to be stretching wayy too thin these days

I think despite the poor showings, I'm still cautiously excited for this game.

Though that hope is based on a notion that the final game will be less RPG and more action.

The last enjoyable Kamiya game I played was Bayo 1 and that was over 6 years ago. Its been too long for something of similar quality.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The RPG elements aren't what I have an issue with, its more the action gameplay aspect. It looks like it combined elements from Monster Hunter, a Character Action game, and an MMO and I'm just not sure it all meshes very well as far as we've seen.

My other big complaint is the dragons look like shit and I don't mean visually. They're basically glorified helicopters that just hover around flapping their wings spamming fireballs. Sorry but I expect a bit more out dragon combat than that, that is the safest, easiest and most disappointing route they could have gone in my opinion. Why bother including a dragon if it isn't going to act anything like one?

Zeta Oni

The RPG elements aren't what I have an issue with, its more the action gameplay aspect. It looks like it combined elements from Monster Hunter, a Character Action game, and an MMO and I'm just not sure it all meshes very well as far as we've seen.

My other big complaint is the dragons look like shit and I don't mean visually. They're basically glorified helicopters that just hover around flapping their wings spamming fireballs. Sorry but I expect a bit more out dragon combat than that, that is the safest, easiest and most disappointing route they could have gone in my opinion. Why bother including a dragon if it isn't going to act anything like one?

That's completely up to the player. Your dragon doesn't even have to have wings. It doesn't have to breath anything, you can just have a dragon with a straight melee build. I understand the most recent gameplay was lackluster, but the gameplay is much more customizable than it seems from those videos.

Personally I think the combat looks great. Monster Hunter X Dragons Dogma with a touch of Just Cause and Kingdoms Of Amalur.

Hopefully they release some gameplay that alleviates some of your concerns.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yea, I'd try to forget W101 too.

/jk... But that was a huge disapointment for me as a Kamiya fan.

probably my favourite :p

Btw the premise of this game are SO GOOD that I have faith, despite the horrible (to me) E3 showcase.
I'm looking forward to it to have an excuse to buy a One later on.

DedValve

Banned

You take that back!

jk. I felt it was his most flawed game. Which actually raises my hopes for this considerably. Let it sink in that W101 is possibly his worst game.

Kamiyas quality is insane. And him branching out of high paced action (can we please come to a consensus on this damn genre name already?) is really interesting.

Shin-chan

Man, you need to give it another shot. There's a lot to love about the game if you give it some time. I can't believe I got all of the bottle caps in it. The punch out section was awful.

Dark_castle

I want to the meet the guys who designed the main character and wrote his dialogue lines and shove cakes in their faces.

Man, you need to give it another shot. There's a lot to love about the game if you give it some time. I can't believe I got all of the bottle caps in it. The punch out section was awful.

I really did try with that game. But that's pretty much the only Kamiya game that didn't hook me right away and multiple hours didn't seem to rectify that.

I'll always be interested in a Kamiya game but it's hard to muster true excitement given (for me) his last truly great outing was 6 years ago in a diffrent genre.

Don't even have to joke about it. I Fuckin hated W101.

But Kamiya will always have my trust, regardless if some of his games just weren't for me.

E3 wasn't the most exciting showing but I know it's not indicative of the entire game. Plus it's it's a game that he's always wanted to make so of course he's giving it his full attention.

Kamiya's going to want the game to be as fun as he can possibly make it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's completely up to the player. Your dragon doesn't even have to have wings. It doesn't have to breath anything, you can just have a dragon with a straight melee build. I understand the most recent gameplay was lackluster, but the gameplay is much more customizable than it seems from those videos.

That's my point though. Why add dragons into a game if you're going to go the easiest, most boring, and least interesting route possible with their gameplay. Why even add a dragon brawler if you have the main character? There are just so many design decisions in the game that seem baffling and counter intuitive to me. The other more obvious problems are things like very poor hit reaction and detection, very limp long range gameplay from both the dragons and the human character, etc. etc. There were a lot of problems and it was a stark contrast to what something like Nier Automata showed off with its boss battle.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wasn't turned off by the E3 stuff like some where. Looks like it'll let me have similar fun to Dragon's Dogma or Lost Planet 2, both of which NOTHING this generation has directly lived up to for me.

I don't really expect online MP games, or games that give you huge dragon companions as a constant option, to move like single character action games, so my expectations are in check.

Thanks for sharing some video I don't think I've seen! :) I do wish the message of this game, and it's structure were clearer by now.

Exentryk

I can see the potential. Lots of weapons for melee combat, and I think Platinum will do it justice, so should be good.

Once we actually play the game for a while, I feel like we'll form a bond with our pet dragon, and it will feel really epic running around with him in various areas. Building him up with various abilities along with building yourself up should keep it interesting.

Crayon

OP is too sane. OP, if you want to evangelize an underdog japanese game, you need to be way crazier about it.

It's called "Frothing Demand".

You should present as a person who has been "touched" by the game in question and is at least partially ruined by it's majesty. Throw yourself on the sword. That's how it's always been done.

I think the biggest problems with the showings thus far is that they don't showcase enough respect for the gamer's intelligence and ability to watch and understand the kind of game that it is, or the value that such a game has, and that's the huge mistake being made.

All the good stuff is being saved for sites sites that are likely displeased the game is on Xbox One in the first place, and so probably want the damn thing to fail. My honest to god opinion. Show the game without the training wheels on. Give us a proper walkthrough of a bit of the game instead of a boss battle because they think it's far easier to understand or showcase how "badass" the game is.

Zeta Oni

I think the biggest problems with the showings thus far is that they don't showcase enough respect for the gamer's intelligence and ability to watch and understand the kind of game that it is, or the value that such a game has, and that's the huge mistake being made.

All the good stuff is being saved for sites sites that are likely displeased the game is on Xbox One in the first place, and so probably want the damn thing to fail. My honest to god opinion. Show the game without the training wheels on. Give us a proper walkthrough of a bit of the game instead of a boss battle because they think it's far easier to understand or showcase how "badass" the game is.

The recent gameplay has been rather lackluster, but I don't think the websites being used are at fault here.

IGN had the original coverage during August, and since then they have done interviews with everywhere from Metro to WindowsCentral. The problem is that all this information about the game is spread between 10+ websites and you have to dig and dig just to get a glimpse of the overall package, which is why I made the Breakdown thread.

If they can release gameplay that does what your advocating here, then I feel it will speak to people regardless of the origins or bias of the press.

Strootman

OP is too sane. OP, if you want to evangelize an underdog japanese game, you need to be way crazier about it.

It's called "Frothing Demand".

You should present as a person who has been "touched" by the game in question and is at least partially ruined by it's majesty. Throw yourself on the sword. That's how it's always been done.

Mmhh.. What?

Manbig

Based on a lot of people's reaction to the E3 footage for this game, I think that a lot of people are still expecting this to be some sort of fast paced DMC/Bayo style action game rather than a slow methodical FFXII/XC style action RPG that it obviously is. This is not the kind of game that demos very well in a short trailer on a big stage.

blakep267

I'm still excited for scalebound. The first showing was early and despite the frame rate wasn't that bad. The second showing was a bit of a boring lost planet boss fight, but it's not something that completely turned me off from it. The FFXV Titan fight was leagues worse

Crayon

Okami is not good!!!! It's as not good as Twilight Princess!!!

Those dark times are behind us. Zelda is back. = Videogames are back.

Zeta Oni

That's my point though. Why add dragons into a game if you're going to go the easiest, most boring, and least interesting route possible with their gameplay. Why even add a dragon brawler if you have the main character? There are just so many design decisions in the game that seem baffling and counter intuitive to me. The other more obvious problems are things like very poor hit reaction and detection, very limp long range gameplay from both the dragons and the human character, etc. etc. There were a lot of problems and it was a stark contrast to what something like Nier Automata showed off with its boss battle.

Well, lets take your example.

Why even add a dragon brawler if you have the main character?

I cant help but feel like your thinking of the game too much like another action game. The main character will support builds just like any other RPG you have seen, He can take a far away approach, use the bow and arrow and lay traps for example. You can use the melee focused dragon to handle CQC while you set up.

SBE3Bowandarrow.gif

WastefulQueasyBurro.gif

Don't like bows and arrows? There's a Ki blast that's basically some Yusuke Urameshi type shit if that's more of your thing.

LoneDenseArabianhorse.gif

Don't like fighting from a distance? Okay, say you use something like the greatsword or the spear. With the same build you mentioned, you can tune your dragon for speed so that he can cover your openings while using such a slow weapon, or make him a metal covered death dragon with a giant blade to rain down the pain while you cover his openings with the faster weapon.

AgonizingGlisteningAnglerfish.gif

My point is, Scalebound is an ARPG. What you may see as pointless may be a build someone else comes to love. Having variety is (almost) never a bad thing. The whole point of the game is this development of a bond between the two protagonist, and I feel that's a much more interesting idea, especially in the way it manifests in gameplay. I could relate to your point if the game was ever made out to be something like Panzer Dragoon or something more focused around controlling your dragon directly, but even in concept phases it sounded far more similar to something like The Last Guardian.

I also think the gameplay itself looks fun as hell, so there's that.

Shin-chan

I really did try with that game. But that's pretty much the only Kamiya game that didn't hook me right away and multiple hours didn't seem to rectify that.

I'll always be interested in a Kamiya game but it's hard to muster true excitement given (for me) his last truly great outing was 6 years ago in a diffrent genre.
I get you. Im sceptical about this one and no amount of rpg elements will save the lacklustre action mechanics we've been presented with so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom