• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blair Witch (2016) discussion/impressions/spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread for trailer discussion

CoBMcBIXYAAMb87.jpg:small

Dalek

So the reviews say the third act is after they find the house-as seen in the trailer-and that the third act is mind-bending. What is that about?

The third act is fucking insane. You're scared they are fucked, but then you realize they are going further than Heather ever got - into the Witch's "universe", as it were.

So the reviews say the third act is after they find the house-as seen in the trailer-and that the third act is mind-bending. What is that about?
I haven't seen the movie, but I'm kind of hoping that they brought the original cast back and time-jump back to 1999

Dalek

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm kind of hoping that they brought the original cast back and time-jump back to 1999

This is actually exactly what I was thinking. That somehow the film changes to the format of the original film as well.

The third act is fucking insane. You're scared they are fucked, but then you realize they are going further than Heather ever got - into the Witch's "universe", as it were.

So they are no longer in a normal reality? It's a realm where she controls things?

Heather is in it but you never explicitly see her.

This is actually exactly what I was thinking. That somehow the film changes to the format of the original film as well.

So they are no longer in a normal reality? It's a realm where she controls things?

1) There ARE moments of original style video being used,

2) ok is this a spoiler thread or not i'm confused.

Cause I'm just waiting for the previous thread to get in here before it is go time.

TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE JOSH

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Whoops. Right here, sorry. I was chasing drowners on my new rig.

OT: Why is this a thing? I remember when the first one came out how hyped everyone seemed to be...except my family who seemed to shit on the movie any time it came up in conversation

You still have to tell me more about the 3rd act!

Well, the very first thing we see in the fucking film is the ORIGINAL LEGEND OF THE FIRST FILM (modified for context of this film).

The very first SCENE is the final scene of the original film. Only there's.... more. And when you get to act 3, you start to realize that maybe THAT footage was NOT from the original tape. Maybe THAT footage is happening NOW.

Basically, this film establishes new lore and "rules" for Elly Kedward. And it turns out that the place where she is most powerless is the cabin, since it is implied to be the source of her power in a way. The film subtly implies that there was something ELSE in the woods far older than Elly Kedward, and by the end you kind of can get that it is "the cabin", and that even though Kedward is the Blair Witch and terrifying in her own right, this force made her that way.

You see three versions of her, two brief and one in the trailer. All of them are contextual.

Like, a movie monster? What do all 3 forms look like? Is she a ghost or a living being?

And, Elly Kedward was corrupted by this evil force?

Do we actually see a being that looks like this in the film?
latest

Like, a movie monster? What do all 3 forms look like?

And, Elly Kedward was corrupted by this evil force?

I am putting spoiler tags. You should, too.

1) One was CGI and based on a tale told at the beginning of the film, one was classic long haired witch, the third was what we saw at the very beginning of the trailer (the blurry thing in the mirror that he thinks is Heather.

2) It is never outright said or even theorized, but WAY TOO MUCH GOES ON (not to mention Elly Kedward's actions inside the cabin) to imply it is just one being.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Really confused. Why do we have a spoiler thread for a movie that doesn't come out for two months?
For real.

Here's this movie with an awesome secret around it that they kept really well, and then someone is lucky enough to see it and it's like 'okay now I'm going to reveal everything'.

So, what are
Elly Kedward's actions inside the cabin
?

and is the blair witch a ghost or a living creature?

It seems like the characters
get alot more up close and personal with elly kedward]

dream

For real.

Here's this movie with an awesome secret around it that they kept really well, and then someone is lucky enough to see it and it's like 'okay now I'm going to reveal everything'.

I mean, you don't have to read this thread, right?

For real.

....You clicked on the thread, what the hell did you expect?

So, what are
Elly Kedward's actions inside the cabin
?

and is the blair witch a ghost or a living creature?

It seems like the characters
get alot more up close and personal with elly kedward]
1) She can't just grab the kids like in the woods, she can't use spells/powers, she basically just is a feral creature.

2) It's unclear. My take on it is that she's now a being with fucking terrifying powers and is fueled by hate. Also, she's much more intelligent than the first film implied.

3) Yes and no. While the third act does have a "boss fight" feel to it, and while the film does take us closer than we've ever been to a physical confrontation with her, it never crosses that sacred boundary.

And it may not be Josh. I may be remembering wrong. But I do think the mains name is Josh.

Does this mean I have to watch Book of Shadows?

No. The connection to the second movie is tangential at best.

Did anyone survive?

Even though you COULD make a case for survivors (especially when considering the time fuckery), it's clear the kids are dead. This film really made it clear that the Blair Witch "selects" kids and gets the ones she selects, in a really Lovecraftian concept of hopelessness.

G-Fex

HP there's no jump scares in this one right? Just like the original it relies more on atmosphere right?

HP there's no jump scares in this one right? Just like the original it relies more on atmosphere right?

Define jump scares. Nothing jumps out of the woods at you, but there is a lot more physicality to the creepy shit in the woods than last time. I'd say 90% of the woods scares are sound and atmosphere and 10% are.... really creepy not normal shit that happens in the dark.

The movie gets incredibly uncomfortable in how claustrophobic it is. If BWP was Blair Witch telling people to get out of her woods, BW3 is her bringing out a shotgun and saying "GET OFF MY LAWN".

Also, sound plays a huge part as well as quick cuts to the different cameras (Go-Pro, Drone, camcorder).

When you say
reality breaks down
, are we talking like
silent hills, faces in the walls
type shit? Acid trip kinda stuff?

MC Escher type halls and rooms that lead to more hall and rooms, seeing people that exist outside of this time (Heather), time speeds up (such as the part in the trailer with the lights in the cabin).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom