• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Asian Americans eat with chopsticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
I'd assume they do so when they eat traditional food from their region of heritage that is also traditionally eaten with chopsticks.

90% of the time. How else do you eat rice and noodle with? Spoon?

edit: when I eat lunch at work I use spoon. I think chopstick doesn't work well with boxy shape lunchbox.

n64coder

They also use spoons for their soups:

tableware-tarhong-spoon-7003t_lg.jpg

LiK

i eat almost everything with chopsticks these days. i actually didn't start using chopsticks until I was in college. nowadays, i find it more convenient and easier for certain foods including certain snacks.

Specificity will lead to a better discussion, OP

Do you mean first generation immigrants from Asia in general, all Asian-Americans?

All food?

S-Wind

Asian Canadian here.

Yes, when eating something that is typically eaten via chopsticks I use chopsticks.

I'm obviously not going to use chopsticks for my steak, or rack of ribs, or cereal!

On the flip side, does anyone actually eat sushi with a fork?!

Yes.

I'll use it even for eating chicken wings because it keeps my fingers from becoming sticky. Not to brag about my skills but chopsticks are like extensions of my fingers, so I'll use it for finger foods.

I eat traditional Japanese food with chopsticks, and western food with a fork/knife.

On a related note my grandma in Japan eats spaghetti with chopsticks haha.

Davey Cakes

The chopsticks that double as a fork and knife...

At that point, there isn't a point, right? You might as well just use the fork.

i eat almost everything with chopsticks these days. i actually didn't start using chopsticks until I was in college. nowadays, i find it more convenient and easier for certain foods including certain snacks.

Could you elaborate? What foods are easier and more convenient to eat using chop sticks? Also, how are you measuring ease and convenience?

Brinbe

No? That's kind of a stereotypical assumption. Filipinos don't use chopsticks lol. Fork and spoon usually haha

massoluk

Banned
90% of the time. How else do you eat rice and noodle with? Spoon?

edit: when I eat lunch at work I use spoon. I think chopstick doesn't work well with boxy shape lunchbox.

Pick your weapons combo for Asian foods:
1. Spoon and fork
2. Spoon and chopsticks.
3. Chopsticks

Just fork is totally inefficient, I found it weird that it is a mainstay in your American shops.

Ashhong

Like almost everything else, you can't generalize and say yes or no. Not only does it depend on the food, it depends on the person. For example, I hate using chopsticks even though I can, and mainly use a fork. My brother and sister prefer to use chopsticks.

vern

Most food is easier to eat with chopsticks. I'm white though. Mainly foods like burgers, pizza, burritos I eat not using chopsticks. Steaks of course fork and knife. Nearly everything else chopsticks are a better tool.

gaiages

Banned
Asian Canadian here.

Yes, when eating something that is typically eaten via chopsticks I use chopsticks.

I'm obviously not going to use chopsticks for my steak, or rack of ribs, or cereal!

On the flip side, does anyone actually eat sushi with a fork?!

My friend does. It like tears the sushi apart and I'm like :(

Most food is easier to eat with chopsticks. I'm white though. Mainly foods like burgers, pizza, burritos I eat not using chopsticks. Steaks of course fork and knife. Nearly everything else chopsticks are a better tool.

How are they a better tool? What makes them better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom