• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Asian Americans eat with chopsticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we eat burritos with chopsticks.

tumblr_n9q5wrmsfK1smcbm7o1_250.gif

LiK

Could you elaborate? What foods are easier and more convenient to eat using chop sticks? Also, how are you measuring ease and convenience?

i like eating chips and/or any small greasy foods with chopsticks so i don't need to wash my hands from the flavoring smell or oils. it's especially good when you're playing video games or on the PC. also, i tend to use my tablet a lot at home so that's another reason. better to just use chopsticks than having to constantly go wash my hands. :p

amusing thing is my sister's friend heard about me using them for chips and now she does it too. lol

Quick

Banned
I hate those spoons. They look and feel like toddler spoons and they are too big.

What's wrong with a regular spoon?

Regular spoons aren't shaped to hold as much soup as soup spoons. They're also better at holding solids (ie wontons).

Nothing wrong with regular spoons though. lol

Most food is easier to eat with chopsticks. I'm white though. Mainly foods like burgers, pizza, burritos I eat not using chopsticks. Steaks of course fork and knife. Nearly everything else chopsticks are a better tool.

Easier with chopsticks? Are you holding your fork upside down by any chance?
I mean I've learned how tu use chopsticks but I thought it was objectively clear that fork and knife are more efficient.

def sim

Dude, you're being pedantic. It's obvious what Asian people we're talking about.

I don't think I am. Anyway, it can't hurt to be more specific.

As an Asian-American, I never used chopsticks in both my home country and here. Neither did my parents or anyone really, unless we found ourselves in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant specifically?

massoluk

Banned
I mean I've learned how tu use chopsticks but I thought it was objectively clear that fork and knife are more efficient.

You chopstickfu is weak, that's why.

And yes, chopsticks for chips is best lifehack

i like eating chips and/or any small greasy foods with chopsticks so i don't need to wash my hands from the flavoring smell or oils. it's especially good when you're playing video games or on the PC. also, i tend to use my tablet a lot at home so that's another reason. better to just use chopsticks than having to constantly go wash my hands. :p

amusing thing is my sister's friend heard about me using them for chips and now she does it too. lol

17dby8xlmtnnpjpg.jpg

otapnam

I don't think I am. Anyway, it can't hurt to be more specific.

As an Asian-American, I never used chopsticks in both my home country and here. Neither did my parents or anyone really, unless we found ourselves in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant specifically?

filipino im guessing ?

Lesath

I hate those spoons. They look and feel like toddler spoons and they are too big.

They hold more and do not conduct heat. Only reason I have metal spoons is because they came with the forks I bought.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It has nothing to do with assimilation. A lot of Chinese food is just easier to eat with chopsticks. Some western food as well like raw salads. Ever try forking a single leaf? It's difficult. You neeed jimmy one of the tongs under the leaf and hope it doesn't slip out. With chopsticks it's trivial. Same thing with things diced small or thin, like peas and fried tofu. Yeah, you could use a spoon for that, but generally you'd have a bowl of rice in one hand and chopsticks in the other, rather than constantly switching what utensil you're using to suit the dish.

Impractical for stuff like this:
bigstock-soup-dumplings-xiaolongbao-x-44700928.jpg

Coincidentally, using a fork to pick up a xiao long bao would ruin it as well.

For all meals, this is the only logical conclusion.

Wow this is a great answer and something I never thought of. Thanks

On second thought, I guess there are a lot of Filipinos in America.

I personally use hands, fork, and chopsticks, probably in that order (spoon is a given complimentary utensil). They're all useful and I'd find it annoying if I was forced to stop using any one. I pretty much refuse to use a knife, however, and don't really eat anything that requires one. Yea, I don't care for steak.

vern

For foods you need to cut yea, as I said I use fork and knife. For foods that you would pick up, snack type things, or let's say noodles, rice, vegetables (salads especially) chopsticks are way more efficient if you know how to use them. They are just an extension of your fingers.

How are they a better tool? What makes them better?

More efficient, cleaner, easier to use. It's easier to grab small things with chopsticks than it is to try and scoop them with a spoon or spear them with a fork. It depends on the food though, and the dish it's served in too I suppose.

Ashhong

Huh, I've never thought to eat chips with chopsticks. I'm always licking my fingers between snacking and typing.

Sumidor

I only use chopsticks for noodle soups. I use forks or spoons for everything else. Mostly because I'm not very good with chopsticks, but also picking little grains of rice with chopsticks takes forever, when a spoon is so much easier.

For foods you need to cut yea, as I said I use fork and knife. For foods that you would pick up, snack type things, or let's say noodles, rice, vegetables (salads especially) chopsticks are way more efficient if you know how to use them. They are just an extension of your fingers.

I mean I'm not telling you how you should east but noodles with a fork you just do it like this:
stock-illustration-93110961-pasta-fork-vector-logo-roll-symbol-concept-of-noodles.jpg

And for vegetables: Forks are pointy, you can just stick it in there and eat.

Prithee, what Asian people are we talking about?
Mostly Chinese people. Then Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese. The ex-Vietnam Southeast Asian population in America is pretty small. I don't know if Filipinos really consider themselves Southeast Asian. They're kind of their own category and the only major ethnic group in America that identifies as Asian who don't primarily use chopsticks.

Llyranor

Rice in a bowl? Chopsticks
(Hint: hold bowl in hand and scoop rice with chopsticks)

Rice on a plate? Fork or spoon

Noodle dishes/soups? Chopsticks

Sometimes I'll be lazy and eat various finger foods like chips/fries with chopsticks to not dirty my hands

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
BTW I recently learned that in Thailand, chopsticks are not used for most foods. They predominantly only use the spoon actually, with the fork used to push food onto the spoon. Just goes to show that being Asian doesn't mean you automatically know everything about all the Asian cultures.

UrbanRats

Basically you can't grab your food, compared to other methods.
I mean, it probably depends on what type of rice we're talking about, but it sort of works as a spoon, because rice sort of lumps together (otherwise chopsticks wouldn't work, either).
So instead of stabbing it, you just scoop it up.

Unless your rice is very sticky, a fork (not spork) can not scoop the rice.
Yeah, i guess it depends on the type of rice you're eating.
Usually i had no problems though, unless i was eating particularly wet risotto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom