• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ PS4/PC Review Thread

OpenCritic - 83
MetaCritic - 81

ACG - Buy
Eurogamer - Recommended
There's room to treat the ocean as your playground, but this is a game mostly indebted to cinema, art and the previous work of thatgamecompany - the latter not being a huge surprise considering the involvement of Matt Nava and Austin Wintory, both contributors to Journey, with Jenova Chen picking up a special mention in the credits. Wintory's orchestral score deserves a particularly special mention, and while it's obviously highly subjective, I would argue this is his best soundtrack to date, the sumptuous arching orchestra precisely ordaining the game's mood.

Yet, and here's the rub, for much of this journey I found it hard to feel the sense of awe Abzu so desperately wants to instil in its players. I admire the hell out of it, sure, with those luscious and beautifully crafted ocean depths, and I really can't emphasise enough just how enraptured I was by the presentation - but for all its obvious skill and craft the overall experience felt a little muffled, its dramatic conclusion rushed and its attempt to pull the heartstrings a little too calculated. Abzu is an expertly authored game absolutely teeming with life; I just can't help but feel it lacks a little soul.

Yet Abzu is still an easy game to recommend, mainly because of the obvious skill at play here in crafting this unique and striking world. Even if you can't get comfortable in the sea, there's still some treasure to be found underwater.

We Got This Covered - 5/5

I could lather ABZÛ with more praise and wax about its beauty, but there’s no way I could do it justice. Not only did it manage to live up to my high expectations, but the feeling of the experience lingers with me hours after finishing it. It’s a special kind of game that simply needs to be played to be believed.

WCCFtech - 9/4/10

Abzû is a bit of a unique game to quantify. As a game, few gameplay hooks and incentives for completing a section may turn off players looking for their next adrenaline rush or challenge, especially when paired with the simple fact that death isn’t a thing that exists in the aquatic world. However, those looking for a narrative journey that’s unlike anything else on the Playstation 4, Abzû offers plenty to experience. Grab your flippers and jump into the world beneath the waves of Abzû; the water’s fine.
Digitally Downloaded - 5/5
That brings me to what is, more than anything else, ABZےs crowning achievement. It really captures the majesty of ocean—the beauty of it, but also the power of it. In that sense, maybe “diving simulator” is accurate, because as stylized and fantastical as it is, it expertly captures what it is that makes diving such a rewarding activity: exploring the wonders of the sea.

Push Square - 9/10

ABZÛ is a triumph of exploration and atmosphere. Its gorgeous underwater playgrounds are a joy to explore thanks to its perfectly tuned controls, awe-inspiring visuals, and beautiful sound design. A somewhat predictable story does little to hamper what is otherwise an utterly unique and rapturous experience.

EGM - 9/10

There’s so much to Abzû: a poignant journey, an absolutely stellar soundtrack, twists and discoveries that took me by surprise. Since the game’s very short, it’s difficult to go into detail without spoiling anything, but there’s also an emotional essence there that can’t be easily described or related secondhand. Abzû‘s more than just a game: it’s an experience. And a fantastic one at that.

Gamespot - 9/10

Art exists to bridge a gap, to communicate emotions or ideas that would otherwise be impossible to articulate. Abzu does this--courageously, confidently, sincerely. Its stirring soundtrack, vivid colors, subtle storytelling, living world, and thoughtful execution combine to create a singularly moving, transcendent experience. In a word: Abzu is beautiful.

IGN - 8.4

Abzu takes the graceful feel of movement and subtle push toward discovery that I’ve enjoyed in similar exploration games like Journey and Flower and builds a refreshing-yet-simple underwater adventure around it. The colorful settings, beautiful soundtrack, and basic controls made it a great experience that constantly piqued my interest, even if it never challenged me to master it other than deciphering its cryptic environmental clues. Instead, Abzu relishes in giving you freedom to simply enjoy exploring the fascinating deep blue sea.

Game Informer - 8/10

Abzû is a game of mysteries and its world will move you to muse the beauty of life and our place in it. It contains moments that transcend the simple act of playing a video game by making a connection with the beings around you – a profound experience. But the more I try to earnestly weigh the substance of the story the more I feel like I am missing the essence of what is before me – not unlike Kubrick's movie. After the film was released, a lot of critics asked him what it meant, but he didn't want to be drawn into any exact explanation. There simply isn't one, and he preferred the viewer absorb the experience and reflect on their own thoughts regardless. Abzû treads similar lines, and is closer to being a work of art than many games ever will be. Whether you're supposed to play a game or experience it is a larger question that Abzû does not solve, but only indulges. Still, it must be judged by that query even if the answer is ultimately up to you.

Polygon - 7.5/10

Exploring and playing in Abzu's oceans is a gorgeous, soothing experience that's easy to recommend. We have precious few games that strive for placidity and even fewer that reach it as handily as Giant Squid has here. But for all its aesthetic wonder, Abzu's threadbare mechanics feel like they're keeping the player at arm's length. For a game that's all about plumbing the depths, it's just a little shallow.

Destructoid - 7/10

I did enjoy being in the water, but I can't help but feel the beautiful visuals and music were jamming pictures of places and emotions in my face instead of earnestly telling a compelling story. There's an unshakeable air of falsity about Abzû. As a treat to the senses, however, it's hard to beat.

IBTimes - 2/5

Abzu is well beautiful and well put-together, but cannot escape its self-inflicted sense of déjà vu. Matt Nava and Giant Squid Studios have played it safe. Too safe. If there were to be a Journey knock-off, this is among the best you could hope for, but who really wants an imitation at all? There is an obvious artistry to Abzu however, that we can only hope is put to better use in whatever comes next.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll probably wait to play this in one sitting this weekend. Cant wait and glad to see it reviewing so well.

klier

Downloaded and ready to play when I get back from work later today. YAY, can't wait. I already know I'll love it.

CHC

It's no Journey it seems, but still worthy of a lot of praise.

I don't think there's really a ton of room in the market for "Journey-esque" experiences. The mystery and artfulness wears off, so I'm not super surprised to see this isn't doing quite as great on the review front. I'm sure objectively it's as good (or almost as good) as Journey but I think it loses something in reviews by not having released 5 years ago when this kind of game was a really novel concept.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm putting the game down though - I'm going to get it this week and it looks absolutely beautiful. It's just that I see Journey as one of those things that can't really be replicated because its quality as a game is sort of hard to separate from its impact as a novel experience.

Looks lovely.
TYlEhQc.jpg

I'll definitely get it once I finish off my second run through of Zero Time Dilemma. Looking forward to it!

CHC

Where's the PC reviews?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/02/abzu-review-pc/

Abzû is a beautiful game. It’s a game stuffed with fish and colour and movement and music. I love those things. Sometimes you feel like you’re actually inside an episode of Blue Planet (I recorded the video above during one such moment). But I don’t love wrestling for control of an experience which feels expansive one moment and restrictive or unpredictable the next.

Zach

Cool. I'd probably buy it if I could still get it for $16. Since that deal's expired, I'll wait until it's on sale down the road.

My review: https://nonlineargaming.com/2016/08/02/review-abzu/

Non-Linear Gaming said:
ABZÛ is a truly serene experience that often rivals its spiritual predecessor. Its brilliant score blends perfectly with the underwater setting, captivating the player and making it difficult to put the controller down over the 2-4 hour course of the game. In an increasingly crowded genre of experiences spurred on by Journey‘s success, ABZÛ is unquestionably worthy of your time, standing out for all the right reasons.

Generally scoring higher than I would have though, I actually didn't think it handled well at PAX East as I've said numerous times and the music is amazing, but didn't seem like much meat and potatoes. In any event glad to see it doing well, but it wasn't for me.

FelipeMGM

Finishing my review now. Its great, the atmosphere is amazing because the combo of visual + soundtrack are also amazing. And what a great use of Unreal4, so many objects and stuff on screen.

The story is really abstract and I must say that it didnt affect me as deeply emotional wise as other games, but the experience as a whole was incredible.

And a lot is spoken of how Journey is a huge influence, but Flower is all over this thing as well

Been waiting for this since i saw it at E3 last year. Would have pre-ordered it on Steam if it let me, but oh well. Will just dload tonight.

Glad its reviewing well, though it seems to have the same complaints i had with journey. Too short, and not much gameplay. I would have given Journey and 8/10, but I like ABZU's setting more.

Mdk7

8.8 from me on IGN Italy.

A mesmerizing audiovisual triumph that will feel heavenly to your eyes and to your ears, unfortunately without warming your heart as much as you would expect. It probably won't leave you teary-eyed like Journey did, but it will still be a trip absolutely worth embarking for.

CHC

I wonder if they played it with a controller or mouse and keyboard. This seems like a game that's totally geared towards a controller.

Xbox controller, but the prompts are PS4.

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
The PC version of the game seems to detect controller use but the controller instructions are for the PS4 pad. Meditation is triggered by pressing the touch pad, says the game, so I stared at my Xbox pad and tried to figure out which one was going to be the stand-in for a touch pad and there’s no option in the menu to show you key bindings.

Seems like a quick and dirty port. I don't really care though, this isn't the kinda game I need a million things to configure and I happen to use a PS4 controller on PC anyhow, so....

Any idea what this goes for on the US ps store?

It's 20 bucks. Think you could have had it for 16 during the preorder discount period, but that's over now.

I played it for a few hours this morning and it is really fantastic. Hated the default invert camera though but that can be easily adjusted.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm just a sucker for ocean games or if some of the reviewers are cynical as fuck. I'm about halfway through and totally blown away.

Too safe. If there were to be a Journey knock-off, this is among the best you could hope for, but who really wants an imitation at all?
Journey was 4 years ago. Apparently that's too soon for spiritual sequels or games with that same DNA to attempt to evoke similar emotions out of the player? Was Journey a special little flower (
pun intended
) that should never be imitated or have its ideas developed upon?

Anyway, enjoy Call of Duty: In Space edition! 9.5/10, sweet kill streaks breh

ced

My first play through of Journey, in one sitting, I was really baked and it was one of most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had.

I don't partake in marijuana much anymore, but I'm going to find a way play through this while stoned.

MADGAME

I'm interested in the game and want to stay positive, but the insanely short time to complete (2-3 hrs), lack of physical version and no 60fps on console make this an easy wait for me.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I can't wait until they can pull something off that looks this good in vr.

good reviews - journey didn't really do it for me, so i think i'll steer clear of this one. maybe a ps+ title down the line. if not oh well...

Top Bottom