• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki "un-retires" himself again; working on new film

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ng-on-proposed-new-anime-feature-film/.108775
In the NHK television special Owaranai Hito Miyazaki Hayao (The Man Who Is Not Done: Hayao Miyazaki) on Sunday, acclaimed anime director Hayao Miyazaki reported that he wants to return to making an anime feature film, after retiring from directing feature films three years ago. He has been working "Kemushi no Boro" (Boro the Caterpillar), a planned CG short for the Ghibli Museum.

However, the special revealed that Miyazaki was not satisfied with the CG project as a short, and he presented a project proposal for a feature-length film this past August. He also noted that if a feature would take him five years to make, he would be 80 years old at the end. In the schedule listed in his proposal, Miyazaki suggested that the film could be done by 2019, before the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki commented that Miyazaki will draw storyboards until he dies, and another staffer dryly noted that this would make the movie a huge hit.

Despite not officially receiving a green-light for the feature film, Miyazaki decided to start animation work on the project anyway. He plans on creating storyboards for about 100 cuts of footage.

Retirement was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finally something good in this week.

aEkjDI9.jpg

Ha! He is never gonna retire.

Still, it's about... a caterpillar? In CG? Dunno that that sounds good.

I want him to finish the samurai manga :(

I should re-read Nausicaa...

Squishy3

I would wager the CG project for the Ghibli museum and this new film are different properties.

Razorback

Why does he even bother telling people that he's retiring. Just do movies when you feel like it, and when you don't feel like it don't do them.

mdubs

Banned
*Shinkai in the ring cutting hot promo about how he is the greatest filmmaker in Japan"

BAH GAWD KING, THAT'S MIYAZAKI'S MUSIC

The caterpillar one is a short only seen at the museum. This news is about a feature film. So it could be about the samurai.

TDLink

So it's not clear. Is this new feature film a longer version of the caterpillar short he was working on? Or a completely different idea?

Kinda would prefer a different idea...I know it would probably still good but as much as I liked Ponyo (which I feel something like that would turn out as), I really want another fantasy epic from him.

TDLink

Isn't this kind of like how Tarantino announces his retirement plans after every film?

No. Tarantino has always said he'll do 10 films and that's it. Hateful 8 was his eighth. Now if he finishes film 10 and then comes back and does film 11...yeah we can say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom