• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki "un-retires" himself again; working on new film

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So, is Studio Ghibli still active? I'm a little confused about that.

Ghibli's been active, yeah. They manage their properties, they still have their museum to make content for, they do some in-between work on other projects, and they just recently got done with work on The Red Turtle.

Charamiwa

Banned
The Wind Rises was one of his best films and a beautiful note to end on. I wasn't even mad he was retiring after this.

I am glad he's back though.

Is this the "anime was a mistake guy"?
Misattributed, but yes.

Interview that spawned the meme:

You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Miyazaki saw Your Name and was like "this is my successor? hell naw!"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
aEkjDI9.jpg
Why, you say this like it's a bad thing. I for one welcome our overlord Miyazaki

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anime wasn't a mistake after all! Finally something good out of 2016.

At this point I am pretty sure if the dude dies he will come back as a ghost for one more movie

Sounds like the plot of a Miyazaki movie! A young girl has to hide her ghost buddy from her parents while also helping him achieve his goal of creating his masterpiece, after death.

watershed

Banned
I don't know how I feel about this. The Wind Rises was the perfect final film for Miyazaki but it also had some moments of poor animation quality (not sure whose fault that was) and some of the loose, messy pacing/story points that come from Miyazaki's process of writing the script as the final animation is being completed.

Xe4

Banned
What is this, the third time, he retired and then started working again? Dude's gonna make Studio Ghibli movies till the dya he dies.

AdanVC

Awww yiss!! Best media news I've read in months! Let's pray he can make it all the way till finishing the movie because my god the man smokes like a train! :(

Expected, but good to hear.

I still need to watch a number of his (and Studio Ghibli's) works. Is the collection through Amazon the best route (seems like it's missing special features) or is it better to go with the single releases?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Fantastic news. Traditional animation in film (especially mainstream film) has been dire these past few years.

Jedi2016

At this point I'm going to have to wait until the man is dead before I even attempt to buy a "Complete Miyazaki Collection".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom