• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki "un-retires" himself again; working on new film

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how I feel about this. The Wind Rises was the perfect final film for Miyazaki but it also had some moments of poor animation quality (not sure whose fault that was) and some of the loose, messy pacing/story points that come from Miyazaki's process of writing the script as the final animation is being completed.

Come again? The film had excellent mechanical animation and an incredible crowd scene with the earthquake. It certainly doesn't compare poorly against Ghibli's general standard of work. (Though sure, it's not as striking as Takahata's Princess Kaguya.)

watershed

Banned
Come again? The film had excellent mechanical animation and an incredible crowd scene with the earthquake. It certainly doesn't compare poorly against Ghibli's general standard of work. (Though sure, it's not as striking as Takahata's Princess Kaguya.)

The shading and coloring is more flat than say Spirited Away which had rich colors and great shading that added depth to the visuals. A lot of the characters also have a loose animated style where they almost don't have structure. You can see it especially in the arms.
And then there are some poor scaling objects and rotating camerawork where it looks like CG wasn't used for some reason. In particular look at the short bus ride near the end of the film when
the main character's wife leaves and his sister arrives moments later
The animation is good but below the standard of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

The shading and coloring is more flat than say Spirited Away which had rich colors and great shading that added depth to the visuals. A lot of the characters also have a loose animated style where they almost don't have structure. You can see it especially in the arms.
And then there are some poor scaling objects and rotating camerawork where it looks like CG wasn't used for some reason. In particular look at the short bus ride near the end of the film when
the main character's wife leaves and his sister arrives moments later
The animation is good but below the standard of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

I'm not able to rewatch the whole film right now to try to figure out where your criticisms are coming from, so I'll just say flat shading can be good, loose animation can be (usually is) very good, and leave this collection of well animated scenes from The Wind Rises here. Man, I don't understand how anyone could look at an elaborate, complicated crowd scene like this and think the film's animation was weak, even in comparison to other Ghibli films.

BadWolf

Amazing news, here's hoping for something epic and 2D.

Something based on his Samurai manga, as others have mentioned, would be sweet.

Wind Rises was great but Princess Kaguya was better imo, I'd love for Takahata to make one more film but I don't think he will be coming out of retirement, and Prince Kaguya was one heck of a note to leave on.

I'm not able to rewatch the whole film right now to try to figure out where your criticisms are coming from, so I'll just say flat shading can be good, loose animation can be (usually is) very good, and leave this collection of well animated scenes from The Wind Rises here. Man, I don't understand how anyone could look at an elaborate, complicated crowd scene like this and think the film's animation was weak, even in comparison to other Ghibli films.

The Wind Rises is absolutely gorgeous.

For a story set in such a dark part of history, the world feels so bright and pure... it's a world I never want to leave.

Wind Rises was great but Princess Kaguya was better imo, I'd love for Takahata to make one more film but I don't think he will be coming out of retirement, and Prince Kaguya was one heck of a note to leave on.

Kaguya was sad as hell. Left me totally depressed. :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think he's going to work until he finally passes. Just seems like who he is. That and Ghibli isn't really doing anything without him and Takahata is very old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom