• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoncipleBone said:
No one has snagged it and shot it to pieces yet? Awesome.

After all, fez are cool.:D

I had a tenth doctor outfit for halloween a couple years ago, but only the jacket still fits. I would need to hunt down everything and get a new screwdriver if I wanted to go as eleven this next year.

The missus quite likes the Doc look, so no risk of fez danger. I still can't find a good tweed jacket.

If you want a sonic, get the one that is also an actual screwdriver - it's nice as it's metal, looks better to than the toy one. Tis nice weight and solid. Only problem is that it doesn't flip out, but is nice.

G-Fex

I didn't think they'd show the Proms thing in the US but hey I'm enjoying it, just good music and good times.

Zomba13

Anyone else think one of the monsters looked a bit like Slenderman (the one with it's face out of focus in a suit when the Doctor was on about monsters).
Slenderman and all Slenderman related stuff creeps me the hell out (but I still love it).

My impression: by far the best Christmas special they've ever done, brilliant stuff! Was transfixed through the entire episode.

Also I'm now absolute in this: Smith isn't just better than Tennant, he's a LOT better than Tennant.

And I liked Tennant as Ten.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, the set was great. Don't know where it had got into my head, but I thought the Christmas special was going to be the return of Queen Liz, so the billionth retelling of A Christmas Carol was a bit disappointing.

It's made me want a spin-off though, Mega Shark Vs. Doctor Who.

Stuff from preview, spoilers and conjecture/rambling below

A huge portion of it is the US episode. Doc in Pres chair, Doc in stetson, Amy in Country Gal outfit o_0

Other stuff:
Looks like there will be a Renaissance France episode (I think, I suck at guessing era based on clothes)?
WWII Germany episode too?
Doc locked up in loads of chains, but in view of people with a full grown hobo baired and longer hair (is it from the US episode?)
Seems that another Tardis makes an apparence (like the one in The Lodger episode)
Vashta Nerada comeback? (guy in space suit)
Ood
Fucking Dolls
Amy and River with writing/numbers on their faces/body, which freaked me out more than the dolls that I saw just seconds before
Tall blurred out Roswell Gery Alien at the end (probably a old who alien, but I suck at remembering bits of that)

Mr. Sam

Thought the first five minutes or so were hammy as shit. After that, it defrosted and was hugely enjoyable. Quite probably my favourite Who Christmas special yet. The Doctor finally telling a lie too big for the psychic paper made me crack up. I adore how Moffat really takes advantage of time travel as a plot device. Much prefer it to constant running up and down corridors.

Also, it wasn't really all that "Christmas Carolly" to be honest. Not so sure about that complaint. Other than a mention of "ghosts of _______" here and there, it really wasn't all that reminiscent. At the very least, it was a very fresh twist.

The preview definitely has me sold. Beardy Smith!

Jex

Mama Robotnik said:
Also I'm now absolute in this: Smith isn't just better than Tennant, he's a LOT better than Tennant.
Smith is a monster. In the best possible way. His presence is inspiring.
DECK'ARD said:
so the billionth retelling of A Christmas Carol was a bit disappointing.
I think that's underselling it quite a bit. I thought it was that way at the beginning but it diverged pretty heavily and did it's own thing.

All praise Moffat/insert you favourite meme here.

Empty

god, so much better than last years. need to rewatch the episode as i was exhausted and missed some stuff, but i loved how moffat used time travel again to make the story interesting.

from the teaser: "stetsons are cool" :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jexhius said:
I think that's underselling it quite a bit. I thought it was that way at the beginning but it diverged pretty heavily and did it's own thing.

All praise Moffat/insert you favourite meme here.

Yeah, there were some nice takes on the story along the way. I did like the Scrooge saving up his days/which day would you choose idea. But it was all too overly familiar and obviously a foregone conclusion, which is why it dragged for me. Nice Back To The Future nods though!

The best thing about the episode was it's look (aside from the terrible Star Trek knock-off bridge of course ;). Like how ambitious the show is getting, the preview showed that as well.

Jex

DECK'ARD said:
(aside from the terrible Star Trek knock-off bridge of course ;).
The fact that he included the thin blue light effect a.k.a Star Trek (and Fringe) means it had to be a deliberate joke, I hope.

WOAH at the trailer. Some caps:

cap127645244.jpg

cap127656226.jpg

cap127707597.jpg

cap127717254.jpg

cap127749234.jpg

cap127767174.jpg

cap127776409.jpg

cap127794693.jpg

cap127879651.jpg

cap127886577.jpg

cap127898308.jpg

cap127922769.jpg

cap127926077.jpg

cap127934267.jpg

cap127948775.jpg

cap127955608.jpg

cap127960132.jpg

cap127970802.jpg

Zomba13

Tremas said:
The production values and direction of this episode was astounding.
I was thinking that, the CG and everything just seemed... better this episode.

I can't wait for the next season. Especially the episode with the Slenderman thing (It looks like he might be in the doll episode).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
cool so it is all going big budget? I mean out to America looks like some nice locations in the new series.

is that and ood at the end of the trailer or a grey? what I saw of the trailer on TV looked like a grey to me

jufonuk said:
cool so it is all going big budget? I mean out to America looks like some nice locations in the new series.

is that and ood at the end of the trailer or a grey? what I saw of the trailer on TV looked like a grey to me

It's a grey (we think) but the Ood are in the trailer too.

jufonuk said:

I think the jump to using HD cameras is what is getting it a richer look. The lighting and cinematography jumped up a lot once they switched to HD with "Planet of the Dead" and series 5 was a big step up in photography quality for the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom