• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
DoctorWho said:
Grey_alien_with_baseball_paraphernalia.jpg
taken? or x-files?, it was about an alien with a love of baseball but what series I forget

Tucah

you speak so well
Excellent episode, probably my favorite Who Christmas special. Smith really is a fantastic Doctor.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
fuuuuck yeeessss Stetsons are cool i'm claiming that for an avatar nobody better touch it

mjc

Really good episode. The first ten or so minutes were give or take but it got much more interesting as it went along. Series six looks really awesome. Too bad it looks like America=bad guys. I hope I'm wrong about that.

ag-my001

Not sure it looks like "America as bad guys" so much as "America first coming into contact with aliens". Looked to be set in the 50's or so, so who knows what stuff they can come up with before established canon.

For the special: Loved the honeymoon cosplay, the psychic paper failure, and the way "people can't be rewritten" was handled. Realistic bitterness came through.

For the trailer: Will the fez request come before or after the Doctor loses his new Stetson? When did the Ood switch from white/red to green? Did River have a part in building the fake-TARDIS seen in "The Lodger". Why does Comcast carry BBCA HD on a non-HD channel? Can't wait for the new season to start answering.

Avatars, should changes to your current be fancied... and I missed doing them too!

j3xYu.gif
31Q1w.gif
0TmCg.gif
EE6i2.gif
nCsWc.gif
zDzae.gif

iDAKh.gif
at537.gif
Ilz4t.gif
z6GAN.gif
vJdXQ.gif
brvFp.gif

I38h0.gif
HJiwB.gif
tEy9b.gif
LUh3E.gif
t7K4m.gif
9GkaM.gif

CxwuI.gif
puJpx.gif
L4jUq.gif
U7zaf.gif
ObHuk.gif
IJPsx.gif

bQ4xS.gif
Vunl9.gif
VaTPO.gif
xuX7z.gif
YYMcE.gif
E2C6c.gif

oA4LU.gif
7Rxo9.gif
ngM2S.gif
bjHCx.gif
sXjSl.gif

Preview avatars, if you fear not been shouted at for dragging possible spoilers around with you... I think everyone has looked at the preview anyway

zhUbv.gif
jK2rd.gif
9oN5z.gif
SH23z.gif
hXO2v.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
"It's just a bunch of wavy lines."

"It shorted out! Finally, a lie too big."

:lol had me and my bf rolling. What a great line.

mjc

Thanks for the gifs keyser, but I'm gonna wait until a later episode for a DW avatar. I hope you'll still be doing them. :D

Keyser, perhaps you can make a gif for Htown of the Doctor getting his Stetson shot off?

I think my next tweak to Phonciple for my avatar is going to Doctorfy him. Add the bowtie and coat. Maybe a fez. Thinking of ideas.

Keyser Soze said:
Avatars, should changes to your current be fancied... and I missed doing them too!

ObHuk.gif

Reserving. You are the best Keyser.

Also agree, best Christmas special yet. Smith is starting to melt hearts it seems. I wonder how he would play the Doctor when he is really angry. Up coming episodes look great, and spring can't come soon enough. What are the odds of a Dalek turning up or we find out the truth to River Song?

Just finished it a little while ago. :D It's lovely to finally see RTD's combo of underwhelming Christmas Specials finally put to an end. Thank you, Based Moffat.

Ravidrath

Enjoyed the episode overall, which is saying something for a Christmas episode.

Saving the day with singing was a bit much for me, though, even for a Christmas episode and even though they did their best to make it remotely plausible.

I wish the fish had been actually been more alien, and got more play in general.

What's amusing though is that my mom was watching it and seems to have gotten into the show... this is a surprise, because she usually can't follow anything remotely nontraditional at all. We watched The Girl In the Fireplace after that, and she really enjoyed it, too.

Sai-kun said:
"It's just a bunch of wavy lines."

"It shorted out! Finally, a lie too big."

:lol had me and my bf rolling. What a great line.

Same here. I rewinded it like 5 times. The delivery was fantastic.

Edit: Thank you so much for those avatars.

Dr. Pangloss said:
Also agree, best Christmas special yet. Smith is starting to melt hearts it seems. I wonder how he would play the Doctor when he is really angry. Up coming episodes look great, and spring can't come soon enough. What are the odds of a Dalek turning up or we find out the truth to River Song?

I would bet serious money that that reveal is the cliffhanger for the mid season.

First off: this one is taken.

GPpmq.gif

Second off (and this could be spoilery, so here come the black bars):

1. Was that Elizabeth Hurley in the trailer?

2. Since Abby's song included the word "silence" in it, what's the thought on hearing that song again in an entirely different context soon?

Freshmaker said:
That's exactly the same
ship layout as the downed ship looking for a pilot
last season.

Thats what i noticed as well. It would be amazing
if we learn how the crew went missing
during the episode. I love it when things tie together.

Alphahawk

Meh dragged to long for me.Also the entire plotline about a guy not letting a ship land just because he didn't care seemed a bit hammy...

Reno7728

Loved the special. Best yet. Finally not some; Save London/the world from Christmas calamity! The Christmas theme was also incorporated well.

Trailer looked amazing as well.

Moffat quite handily surpassed all the previous Christmas specials in his first attempt. :lol Not that it is some sort of achievement, considering the only previous special i liked to any degree was The Christmas Invasion. Still, it was wonderfully directed, the production values were through-the-roof and there were numerous fast-paced and awkward Doctor lines that had me chuckling.

Season 6 looks amazing, as expected.

Gowans

Over the special, what a bitter sweet ending too.
The little twists off what you were expecting but in the theme were fab.

That preview is amazing, can't wait!

Zenith

Banned
Didn't the ep completely conflict with the early Eccleston ep of Rose saving her dad from death and being eaten by spacebats? Right down to Karzan touching his younger self.

Alphahawk

Zenith said:
Didn't the ep completely conflict with the early Eccleston ep of Rose saving her dad from death and being eaten by spacebats? Right down to Karzan touching his younger self.

If Rose's father hadn't died it would of created a future vastly different from our current world, thus Rose saving him essentially overloaded time leading to the events seen in that episode. The Dr has often talks of how he knows when he can and can't manipulate time so it stands to reason that that there are certain events he can meddle with that won't totally break time,,,

Jex

Zenith said:
Moffat likes to eat three paradoxes before breakfast every day.

maharg

idspispopd
Zenith said:

Yes. Just live with it.

Mr. Sam

Watching the special again this morning. Slight callback to The Eleventh Hour with The Doctor figuring everything out about Kazran's relationship with his father from how he arranged his furniture.

Suairyu

Banned
Zenith said:
It still hadn't been decided if the old git was going to lower the cloud shield or not, so it wasn't yet part of established events. Influencing it had no consequence.

Rose's dad, on the other hand, had already died. It was established events so changing it made everything fuck up.

Where established events = what has happened from the point of view of the time-traveller.

The above system works most of the time in Doctor Who. Whenever we come across episodes that don't fit, just assume a wizard did it. The Doctor is the last in a whole race of time wizards, so that isn't even a defeatist way of dealing with the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom