• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

1. Skyrim

2. Gears of War 3

3. Batman Arkham City

4. Portal 2

5. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

6. Dead Space 2

7. Pokemon Black and White

8. Bastion

9. Uncharted 3

10. L.A. Noire

zsswimmer

1. Dark Souls - seamless open world with fantastic lore if you dig deep for it. Fluid combat, 'guilds', and PvP make this one of the best games I've ever played.
2. Skyrim - open world with nearly endless amounts of things to do
3. Battlefield 3 - my favorite FPS series
4. Gears of War 3 -
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
1. Catherine
2. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
3. Portal 2
4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
5. InFamous 2
6. Resistance 3
7. Dead Space 2
8. Bloodrayne Betrayal
9. Mortal Kombat
10. Crysis 2

nel e nel

1. Portal 2
- while it lacked the magical uniqueness of the first game, Valve tweaked and reinvented their narrative devices to deliver another amazing experience. The co-op was pretty damn close to a perfect online experience as well.

2. Dead Space 2
- I love sci-fi. I love horror. I love the tropes and archetypes of both of these genres. Dead Space had been absolutely brilliant in co-opting the tropes of both of these genres and giving nods to all the excellent entries in both of these mediums. They really kicked up the sequel a notch and injected Isaac with personality. I also love how they are starting to dovetail all the storylines from the various releases (Extraction; Severed) and how they have fleshed out the universe with all of the other media (iOS game, animated movies, books) The online MP is a great first draft, even though it didn't really have the legs to sustain itself.

3. Gears of War 3
- this is one of 'my franchises' that I just love to death so it's a no-brainer to be on my list. Finally adding dedicated servers has totally changed the online for the better, and I'm probably one of the few that enjoys the addition of the new shotgun/rifle. While the storyline in the SP is still pretty shallow, they finally were able to deliver on the emotional promises of their trailers and give us a 'oh shit, they did not just do that! I'm going to cry now!' moment. This is my go to online multiplayer game because your success is not dictated by what toys you have unlocked, but rather your basic skill set (reflexes, aiming, dodging) since everyone has the same weapons to choose from with no extra perks.

4. Deus Ex:Human Revolution
- what a delightful surprise this game was. I was always in the dark on the OG Deus Ex conversations (unwashed console player) so I'm glad I finally got to experience this world. And what a great world! Great vision of the future, corporate espionage that speaks to my closeted conspiracy theorist, and amazing art direction, music and sound design. I didn't know I asked for this, but I'm glad you gave it to me just the same.

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- not usually a fan of the classic fantasy RPGs (I prefer sci-fi), and my love for Fallout 3 faded fairly quickly once I realized that the entire metro DC area was voiced by 5 people (white guy, black guy, old man, old lady, kid) and I couldn't level up anymore. Skyrim however...well, let's just say I have passed the 90 hour mark and I am showing no signs of stopping anytime soon. I am showing signs of staying up til 3am every night though.

6. Shadows of the Damned
- FUCK YOU EA FOR NOT MARKETING THIS GAME!! Seriously, if you like your horror zany and offbeat then this is for you. Fans of From Dusk Til Dawn and the Evil Dead movies should be required to play this game.

7. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
- another one of 'my franchises' that is pretty much required playing for me. I still loved this game, warts and all. The tweaks to the MP more than make up for the lackluster tower defense game, and even then I can't really knock it because if you are careful you can avoid that addition outright. I think I'm one of the few on neogaf that actually liked the Desmond sequences as well. I also applaud their courage to stick to their storytelling guns and just start up right where the previous entry left off. Sure, it's a entry barrier to new players, but they are committed to their storyline and they aren't making any compromises in telling it.

8. Bulletstorm
- FUCK YOU EA FOR NOT MARKETING THIS GAME AS WELL!!! It got more publicity than Shadows of the Damned, but my guess is that it was primarily from Gears fans who wanted that early access to the beta (guilty as charged your honor). But I'm so glad I re-pre-ordered this (I cancelled after playing the lackluster demo). What a refreshing change of pace for an FPS: fun, wacky and creative combat, an amazingly colorful and unique world, an actually engrossing storyline with likable characters, and enough profanity to make even this foul mouthed sailor blush. This is the Weathers/Schwarzenegger bicep handshake of videogames.

9. RAGE
- another game that I really enjoyed, warts and all (I'm looking at you final mission!), as well. While I wasn't blown away by any of the graphical advances (unwashed console player), I was blown away by the character design and AI. Seriously, some of the best character design and animation I think I have seen ever. And who didn't enjoy sinking their teeth into classic id gunplay again? Some of the dungeons were pretty amazing too (Jackal Canyon was off the chain!). While the driving was surprisingly fun, some of the races were exceedingly tedious, and the online was a one-time-only-just-to-get-the-achievements affair for me. The co-op Legends of the Wasteland missions were fun though.

10. Batman: Arkham City
- while I enjoyed my tenure in Arkham City, and the addition of the upgraded zipline made traversal a joy, it still was largely 'more of the same'. Which isn't a bad thing, but they didn't really kick it up as big of a notch as I was expecting.

2010/Late To The Party: Limbo
- man, when I finally got around to playing this and got to that final 'cut-scene'...HO-LEE CRAP. If ever there was a game to convince naysayers that games can be artistic, thoughtful and thought provoking, this is it.

xx Honorable Mentions:

xAlice: Madness Returns
xBrink
xCall of Duty: Black Ops
xCrysis 2
xDragon Age 2
xHydrophobia
xLara Croft & The Guardian of Light
xRage
xRage iOS
xRock of Ages

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
1. Dark Souls ; I do hate how obtuse some things are (not as much as Demon's) in that it basically requires a wiki. The new open world I'm not so keen on, but it doesn't detract that much. Digital crack, aside from that.
2. Portal 2 ; Excellent writing and puzzles. Some of the new mechanics fell flat.
3. inFAMOUS 2; Great follow up with improved (almost) everything.
4. Uncharted 3 ; More of the same, but still great. SP and MP (less is more) can't compare to U2.
5. Child Of Eden ; Orgasm
6. Bastion; Great production values, just a joy to play.
7. Resistance 3 ; Surprise, it's actually a good game.
8. Rayman Origins; Platformer with some modern ideas (no lives). Great aside from that atrocity of a final level.
9. Batman: Arkham City ; Didn't care for the open world or the 7000 collectables. Arkham Asylum was a more focused and better game. WB is a horrendous publisher as well.
10. Gears Of War 3 ; It's Gears, but expertly made and polished.

Shame of the Year: Killzone 3

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
1. Batman Arkham City
2. Portal 2
3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
4. Gears of War 3
5. The Elder Scrolls Skyrim
6. Uncharted 3
7. Dead Space 2
8. Resistance 3

2010. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

1. Dark Souls ; I do hate how obtuse some things are (not as much as Demon's) in that it basically requires a wiki. The new open world I'm not so keen on, but it doesn't detract that much. Digital crack, aside from that.
2. Portal 2 ; Excellent writing and puzzles. Some of the new mechanics fell flat.
3. Uncharted 3 ; More of the same, but still great. SP and MP (less is more) can't compare to U2.
4. Child Of Eden ; Orgasm
5. Resistance 3 ; Surprise, it's actually a good game.
6. Batman: Arkham City ; Didn't care for the open world or the 7000 collectables. Arkham Asylum was a more focused and better game. WB is a horrendous publisher as well.
7. Shadow of the Colossus/ICO Collection ; Two classics in HD with extras. Yes, please.
8. Gears Of War 3 ; It's Gears, but expertly made and polished.
9. Shadows Of The Damned ; Cock jokes aside, it's a fun little adventure shooter.
10. Trine 2 ; More Trine goodness.

Still need to play Skyrim, Infamous 2, Deus Ex HR, Rayman O

From the OP:

What Games Count?
New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloable)
Voting for imported titles is allowed. If you list an import game, please mention which country you are from. Otherwise I will assume you didn’t read the rules and the vote will not count.
Remakes and significant upgrades to games count too.
Revisions released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable)
Ports that amount to “ROM dumps”, i.e., ports with no additional content or significant changes, are not allowed.
Ports that are basically “HD ports” of existing games with no changes besides upscaling the game do not count.
New expansion packs to MMOs and other games count, but not the original game unless it too was released in your region this year.
If you’re unsure about a game, just ask!
Asked about games that are allowed: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Limbo PS3
Asked about games that are not allowed: DOTA 2, Diablo 3 beta, Resident Evil 4 HD, Team ICO HD Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, God of War Origins HD Collection

Dynoro

1. Saints Row The Third
2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
3. Portal 2
4. Terraria
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Still have yet to give Skyrim/UC3 a go but I suspect they will reorder the list a little and I'm sticking to 5 for now while I ponder.

1) Ghost Trick. Simply brillant, from the well thought gameplay to the incredible story and relative storytelling.
2) Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I expected it to be trash, but I got a worthy successor to one of my favourite games.
3) The Witcher 2. Wasn't a fan of the first one (while I admit it must have been a great game, it simply didn't catch me), but this one really got me. A great game.
4) Saints Row: The Third. A great surprise. A really solid game, which also made me laugh costantly. No, not for the "kicks in the balls" thing.
5) Portal 2. Even better than the original, and it also includes a great coop mode.
6) Frozen Synapse (it should count). Another surprise. I'm not big into the genre, but I really loved this game.
7) Dark Souls. I should probably rate this higher, but I still haven't finished it for some reason. Anyway, another excellent game.
8) Batman: Arkham City. A great sequel, but it did feel unsatysfing in certain aspects. Still, a great game.
9) Bastion. Another gem from the indie market. The narrator is enough to make me want to play this game again.
10) Uncharted 3. A step back from the second one, but still a great game.
X1: Binding of Isaac. Another great game from the indie market, but I haven't spend as much time on it as I had hoped.
X2: Spacechem. See BoI.

The list should be ok, I think. Anyway, my two cents.

nel e nel

What is the logic that Limbo can count but HD ports can't? It either should be you can vote for ports, or you can't.

It's specifically the PS3 version, since that came out this year.

Asked about games that are allowed: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Limbo PS3
Asked about games that are not allowed: DOTA 2, Diablo 3 beta, Resident Evil 4 HD, Team ICO HD Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, God of War Origins HD Collection

It's specifically the PS3 version, since that came out this year.

The Team ICO collection is specifically the PS3 version. Since it came out this year, it should be eligible.

I've always been allowing "collections" as game of the year.

I wouldn't allow the ICO Collection but I'd specifically allow Shadow of the Colossus PS3.

nel e nel

The Team ICO collection is specifically the PS3 version since it came out this year.

ist2_3620203-i-don-t-know.jpg

krYlon

The Team ICO collection is not allowed but Limbo PS3 is?

How does that make any sense?

One is a HD remaster, the other offers nothing new at all. Very strange.

Duxxy3

1. Portal 2 ; My favorite game of all time
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D ; A legendary game that i completed over a decade later
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 ; A sequel that was far better than the predecessor.
4. Uncharted 3 ; A great game on its own that is moved down because of comparison to uncharted 2.
5. Deux Ex: Human Revolution ; The first Deux Ex i've played and definitely worth the nothing i paid for it (ATI pack-in).
6. Monster Tale ; my favorite metroidvania since Dawn of Sorrow.
7. Resistance 3 ; A return to old school single player first person shooters and i loved it.
8. Killzone 3 maybe not as good as 2 but a lot more consumer friendly (read as: i didn't break 4 controllers playing it)
9. Bulletstorm ; the peak of dude bro gaming.
10. Limbo ; great game for shitty weather.

1. Saints Row: The Third
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
5. Rayman Origins
6. Gears of War 3
7. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
8. Portal 2
9. Dead Island
10. Bulletstorm

Swordy

I didn't play much this year, so...

1) Dark Souls - It's my GotG with Demon's Souls
2) Skyrim
3) Disgaea 4 - Definitely the best Disgaea since the first game
4) Deathsmiles (PAL)
5) Dead Space 2
6) Gears of War 3

I've said too much already, but I'm sure you can figure it out just by reading the last few pages of this thread.

lol yeah its pretty obvious who it is just reading the last two pages. "Someone didn't like the greatest game ever? PM immediately!"

Valve fanboys might even be worse then Naughty Dog fanboys. Might

edit: wow, it totally was the "Ico looks rather terrible now portal 2 have my babies" guy. lawdhavemercy

hatchx

Banned
1. Batman Arkham City - The game I always wanted as a kid. Incredibly tight package all around.

2. Super Mario 3D Land - Just a joy to play. Pure gameplay.

3. Uncharted 3

4. Mario Kart 7

5. Portal 2

6. Skyward Sword

LuchaShaq

Banned
1. Elder Scrolls Skyrim - Will be the game I remember first and foremost about this year.

2. Assassin's Creed Revelations - Despite all the negative reaction outside of the two times I was forced to do the tower defense thing I loved every other moment and it's by far my favorite multiplayer game of the year.

3. Bastion - Best soundtrack of all time IMO, combat is super fun as well with so much variety.

4. Saint's Row The Third - "Fuck it you should play Saint's Row"

5. Gears 3 - The best third person shooter campaign and multiplayer this generation and don't think it's even close.

6. Deadspace 2 - Just think it was a fantastic experience start to finish. Certain story aspects hit me particularly hard due to a suicide of someone close to me.

7. Catherine - The gameplay was trash, and the endings weren't great but it was one of the few times in gaming where the story made me reevaluate my own life choices.

8. Dragon Age 2 - Besides the reuused assets and the clusterfuck endings the game was actually awesome. But hey it's gaf bioware can do nothing right.

9. Mortal Kombat - Best fighting game single player ever in my eyes.

10. Terraria - No idea why I hated minecraft but loved this. Oh well fuck it!

2010 game of 2011 - Still Mass Effect 2 for me, had another play through and still love it just as much.

Tain

How is that different though? It's a port of an existing game coming to a new platform, that's true of the HD ports too.

It's messy for sure. It's the same case with localizations; why do we allow anything but the initial region's release of a game? Even my own top selection is not only a compilation of two games, but a compilation of the first home ports of games released a few years ago in arcades. I guess that vaguely makes it okay since most people can't easily play them.

I'd be fine with pipe-hitting rules, but there would be way too much backlash from people that can't get around to playing stuff because of regional/platform issues.

I've said too much already, but I'm sure you can figure it out just by reading the last few pages of this thread.

For what it's worth, I was merely curious as to why it wasn't on his list since it'd looked like he'd played a lot of games this year, and I wanted to know whether it was a question of 'I havent bought it yet' or 'I bought it but it didn't make my top ten'.

I PMed him in particular because he'd placed 'L.A. Noire' in his top ten, hence me wondering if he genuinely thought that LA Noire was better than Portal 2 (which would raise a few eyebrows), or that he hadn't played Portal 2.

1. Batman: Arkham City
2. Portal 2
3. Crysis 2
4. Rage
5. Halo CE: Anniversary Edition
6. Dead Space 2
7. Infamous 2
8. Dead Island
9. Bulletstorm
10. Uncharted 3

U2NUMB

Wow how tough was this. Great year for gaming..

1. Battlefield 3 - I am a BF junkie so easily my GOTY
2. Skyrim - As someone who struggles with Bethesda games.. this time they blew me away.
3. Gears of War 3 - Gears perfected.. well done Epic
4. Forza 4 - So polished ..
5. Arkham City - Impressive on all fronts
6. Portal 2 - Smile on my face the whole time
7. Saints Row the Third - Craziest ass game I have ever played.. so fun
8. Assassins Creed R - A step back but still very unique and full of awesome!
9. Resistance 3 - The shooter that could.. very fun single player.. online not as much as I wanted
10. Infamous 2 - Played it.. put it down.. recently picked it back up.. really awesome game!

Games that also should be on the list from my perspective..

Dead Space 2 - So impressive... I sure hope this series continues
Bulletstorm - Pleasant surprise.. something new was fun!
Uncharted 3 - I would have guessed this to be in my top 3... sadly it has not clicked with me
LA Noire - Again something new.. I play this game when I am in a relaxed mood. Impressive tech
Rage - Pretty amazing how this game looks on consoles.. fantastic gameplay and animations
Crysis 2 - Another amazing looking game on consoles...

Derrick01

Banned
For what it's worth, I was merely curious as to why it wasn't on his list since it'd looked like he'd played a lot of games this year, and I wanted to know whether it was a question of 'I havent bought it yet' or 'I bought it but it didn't make my top ten'.

I PMed him in particular because he'd placed 'L.A. Noire' in his top ten, hence me wondering if he genuinely thought that LA Noire was better than Portal 2 (which is perhaps deserving of a discussion of its own), or that he hadn't played Portal 2.

I knew it was you, it had to be haha

Not everyone who played Portal 2 thought it was some life changing experience. It barely made my honorable mention list.

Goldmund

1. Frozen Synapse
2. Terraria
3. Radiant Historia
4. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7. Child of Eden
8. Portal 2
9. TrackMania 2
10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

EDIT1: kicked SpaceChem for TrackMania 2

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, Your Excellency :p

I knew it was you, it had to be haha

Not everyone who played Portal 2 thought it was some life changing experience. It barely made my honorable mention list.

I get that. People are entitled to their own opinions, if everyone liked the same thing equally these lists would be boring, etc etc.

But I find it rather odd when the chief criticism people have of Portal 2 is "its not as good as Portal". I mean, come on, it's kind of a bizarre metric on account of Valve's Portal widely being considered by the press, fans and industry as one of the defining games of this generation. It's tantamount to saying that the new Zelda game isn't a great game because 'it's not as good as Ocarina of Time'. Well, shit, neither are most games in the top ten.

Uncharted 3 is having a similar response. People are placing it in their lists based on how good it is in comparison to Uncharted 2 (you can tell this because almost every single time it's listed, people write 'not as good as Uncharted 2'). In your top tens we need to compare the game to the games of this year, not to its predecessors from years past.

1.Skyrim
2.Portal 2
3.Dark Souls
4.The Witcher 2
5.Bastion
6.Gears of war 3
7.Rayman Origins
8.Ghost Trick
9.Mortal Kombat 9
10.Dead Space 2

frequency

I get that. People are entitled to their own opinions, if everyone liked the same thing equally these lists would be boring, etc etc.

But I find it rather odd when the chief criticism people have of Portal 2 is "its not as good as Portal". I mean, come on, it's kind of a bizarre metric on account of Valve's Portal widely being considered by the press, fans and industry as one of the defining games of this generation. It's tantamount to saying that the new Zelda game isn't a great game because 'it's not as good as Ocarina of Time'. Well, shit, neither are most games in the top ten.

Uncharted 3 is having a similar response. People are placing it in their lists based on how good it is in comparison to Uncharted 2 (you can tell this because almost every single time it's listed, people write 'not as good as Uncharted 2'). In your top tens we need to compare the game to the games of this year, not to its predecessors from years past.

I don't think people are excluding it from their lists because it's "not as good as Portal". At least that's not why I excluded it.
It's not on my list (and I assume other people's lists) because some people simply don't like it as much as other games this year. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand.

Portal 1 would have made my list but Portal 2 isn't even close. That's not saying Portal 2 is a worse game. That's saying that Portal 1 was, in relation to every other game I played that year, in the top 10. Portal 2, in relation to all the games I played this year, isn't in my top 10 experiences.

It's kind of a really straight forward metric...

Corto

How is that different though? It's a port of an existing game coming to a new platform, that's true of the HD ports too.

Welcome back StuBurns! I was expecting to read your input on the whole The Last Guardian/Fumito Ueda shenanigans from the last weeks... Have you posted something on that thread already?

As for this matter, I think they have to draw the line somewhere. Every rule of this nature will feel arbitrary to someone. Limbo is a last years timed exclusive original release on Xbox 360 compared with ICO/STOC that were released several years ago on a platform one generation apart. The people that are voting for Limbo PS3/PC are mostly people that couldn't have played that game as it was a timed exclusive. Ico Collection was more of fan service and preparation for TLG release. :( Although I'm sure some new players enjoyed them, at least I hope so, and for those their vote should be accounted but it's impossible to insure that they are indeed new players. (you could also argue that is impossible for us to insure that any game on our lists was indeed played too, or that an XBox 360 player is voting for Limbo again taking advantage of the PS3 release date, but that is where the arbitrary component enters).

StuBurns

Banned
Your feelings of a game are affected by your expectations, people expected a lot of Uncharted 3 because UC2 was so good, maybe it is better than some of the other games in my top ten that 'beat' it on some objective level, but it was enjoyable but disappointing to me, and it's position reflects that.

Portal 2 being significantly weaker than Portal 1 to me is a source of disappointment, and it does affect my opinion of the game.

Welcome back StuBurns! I was expecting to read your input on the whole The Last Guardian/Fumito Ueda shenanigans from the last weeks... Have you posted something on that thread already?

Thank you kindly, bizarre that story and Metal Gear Rising both happened during my ban, pretty much the biggest news relevant to my interests all year. I haven't said anything about either of them on GAF as of yet, maybe if one of those threads gets bumped I'll pop something down.

How is the counting done in this thread, based on 'Thanks to the hard work of Cheesemeister, you can list your games pretty freely, as long as you try to avoid confusing abbreviations', is there some sort of program that's being run for the counting? How is it checked to ensure that regular discussions in here aren't affecting scores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom