• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY24 Q2 gaming revenue up 49% year-over-year, driven by impact of Activision Blizzard acquisition

LordCBH

He didn't say "multiple platforms". He said "PC, mobile and cloud". No idea where that "games available on all platforms" quote is coming from.

It’s coming from bots on X who need something to distract from their really bad year. Though if they’d just buy other platforms they could’ve had a really good year. Instead they’d rather just bitch and continue swallowing Microsoft’s dong.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
And $440 million of operating loss.

That new pfp
source please GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Without ACTI, Xbox would have matched their second best quarter.

With ACTTI, they've blown past their previous quarters very comfortably.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
3% dude... I mean, profit is profit, but holy shit

At least they understand that consoles are closer than ever to become just another player

Killjoy-NL

So nothing has come close to selling or breaking the old PS2 and NDS records of 150M from the early 2000s........ Maybe console sales really did plateau a long time ago.
Switch is at around ~135M.

Also, competition is different compared to the PS2 days.

At the time, total console sales (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) were <200M combined.

Last-gen, (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) it was 300+M combined.

Granted, Nintendo is kinda throwing it off by doing it's own thing.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Supposed to but adorably all digital at the same great price of $499 with how current sales are raise your hand if anyone thinks this machine will fly off the shelves

True, at least it is 2TB in the image with the $499, which would set you back a bit in the Xbox space. Plus, they've proven to be aggressive when it comes to underselling the MSRP if they need to, if it sits they'd lower the price in one way or another.

The marketing in the slides was real amateur hour, here's to hoping they do a better job than that with the marketing designed for public consumption. I'd advise not making the lack of a disk drive a selling point, go with the smaller size etc.

DaGwaphics

This why I believed subscription serviced wouldn't become the predominant model of accessing games. You need time to extract the value needed to maximise the cost of the service. And that's on top off the time spent on ala cart purchases.

That's the funny thing though, people typically don't view small recurring payments the same as larger lump sum payments. While they'd never say so outright, I'm sure MS would love it if GP started to take on an oversized portion of it's subscribers gaming time, as that makes MS more competitive in that area.

Also a 3% increase in revenue of consoles sold doesn’t mean they sold more consoles. Didn’t MS up their prices somewhere during the year? If so, it means less consoles sold but a tiny revenue increase because of the price hike.

Yikes, bad take alert. These figures are for the quarter not the year and XSS/XSX were $150/$350 for much of the holiday season (much more aggressive pricing than last year). LOL

Plus it's factual knowledge that December was their best month in units for the system in the US (according to NPD or whatever they are calling themselves now).

Really, anything entertainment wise that takes up people's time is competition. Its just not a direct industry competition, but time is still time.

Absolutely, literally anything else is competition for time. The Covid bump was just never going to stick for that reason, weird that so many of the companies in the industry acted as if it would.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Without ACTI, Xbox would have matched their second best quarter.

With ACTTI, they've blown past their previous quarters very comfortably.

So, they actually had a strong division in Xbox its just console sales are floundering at a pretty alarming rate IMO.

I hope they find a way to balance it all, as i don't want their consoles to end.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nintendo actually stopped directly competing with PlayStation and Xbox since the Wii. But even the Wii put pressure on the competition (see: Playstation Move and Kinnect). The Switch simply didn't cause any response from Sony or Microsoft. They aren't interested in releasing a portable/console hybrid.
You are mistaking 'can't' and 'don't want to'.
Sony have tried multiple times to get into the portable space and failed. MS are struggling in the console market which plays to their strengths, it would be a bloodbath if they tried a portable.
Both are probably eagerly watching the steam deck and cellphone markets for some kind of a hint of a way in.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
He didn't say "multiple platforms". He said "PC, mobile and cloud". No idea where that "games available on all platforms" quote is coming from.

Timestamped.

Exactly.

But still, even this doesn't matter...because the CEO never said Xbox or Nintendo.

Seeing ppl latch on to this like its a gotcha is mind boggling.

It's like some ppl were on another planet when PlayStation games were ported to PC the past several years.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You are mistaking 'can't' and 'don't want to'.
Sony have tried multiple times to get into the portable space and failed. MS are struggling in the console market which plays to their strengths, it would be a bloodbath if they tried a portable.
Both are probably eagerly watching the steam deck and cellphone markets for some kind of a hint of a way in.

playstation_portal_god_of_war_wide.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I dunno they make ~20b in profit per quarter so might as well do something with it

Invest more money in making games with the studios that you already have. Or how about paying even more money to lower the cost of the Xbox Series consoles. Charge $10 a month on Gamepass Ultimate and DON'T raise the price.

twilo99

Invest more money in making games with the studios that you already have. Or how about paying even more money to lower the cost of the Xbox Series consoles. Charge $10 a month on Gamepass Ultimate and DON'T raise the price.

I agree, there are countless other things they could've done, but they chose ABK for whatever reason.. I don't think it's worth more than 20b, but I know nothing so..

MikeM

Xbox’s strategy is such a head scratcher.
- Their hardware sales suck because they have no legit exclusives.

-“Play anywhere” costs you when no one wants to buy games on the Xbox app because its hot garbage, thereby foregoing 30% of every sale made on Steam. Achievements don't even pop properly on the Xbox app. Also, why is there no way to turn your PC into an Xbox dashboard like Steam does with big picture mode?

Ugh its so painful.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yep, and then Sony and Nintendo attempting to pivot their own businesses to streaming, Cloud, and "games available on all platforms" once they see how large the margins become when hardware is virtually eliminated.

Sony and Nintendo too®

C'mon man, always the same song and dance, aren't you tired by now ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom