• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY23 Q4 gaming revenue increased 1% year-over-year (HW down 13%)

DrFigs

Revenue being stable with their only release being Redfall seems fine? Hardware's not doing great, but i mean they haven't released a big game in almost 2 years?

Let me guess what’s going on in this thread - a bunch of guys with razor-sharp insight who are definitely not Sony fanbois are declaring that Xbox is dead because the consoles haven’t sold some arbitrary number? And that Microsoft is going to retire the Xbox hardware even though they just developed and released two new models? And that XBox is on the brink of financial ruin because they won’t share some numbers with the NeoGAF analysts? And that it doesn’t matter that MS is one of the richest companies in the world because XBox is like, a totally separate thing and stuff? Is that about right?

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
At some point ms is going to have to stop blaming sony. There is no way sony can put you in this situation when they have not put anyone else in a similar situation. Nintendo have posted positive net income for pretty much the entire time they been competing against sony.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Let me guess what’s going on in this thread - a bunch of guys with razor-sharp insight who are definitely not Sony fanbois are declaring that Xbox is dead because the consoles haven’t sold some arbitrary number? And that Microsoft is going to retire the Xbox hardware even though they just developed and released two new models? And that XBox is on the brink of financial ruin because they won’t share some numbers with the NeoGAF analysts? And that it doesn’t matter that MS is one of the richest companies in the world because XBox is like, a totally separate thing and stuff? Is that about right?
You forgot the bit about Microsoft bum lickers appearing with bitter comments.

Flabagast

Microsoft is still in a desperate need of a Last of Us equivalent, a super high 95+ MC prestige game which reach and cultural impact goes beyond the traditional community of gamers and elevate the brand awareness and image without necessarily selling tens of millions copies.

They had written in an internal document that they did not have the capacity to produce something on par with TLOU2 a few years ago, let’s hope that someplace somewhere they are gearing up one of their studios to accomplish this feat

Last edited:

NEbeast

Putting the next COD entry on GamePass Day One would make many people consider Xbox over PlayStation during Holiday season.
It really won't. Sony said over 1 million playstation players ONLY played COD, and 6 million spent 70% of their time on COD. Why would people who spend the majority of their time in COD pay for a subscription when that subscription costs more per year than just buying the game? It might move some people but it isn't going to be a tidal wave like some people think.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Revenue being stable with their only release being Redfall seems fine?
Not really. It just shows that Redfall didn't increase revenue, which isn't a surprise to anyone.

It'd be interesting if we were getting data on operating profit because then we could see a glimpse of how Redfall would have negatively affected the balance sheet.

DrFigs

Not really. It just shows that Redfall didn't increase revenue, which isn't a surprise to anyone.

It'd be interesting if we were getting data on operating profit because then we could see a glimpse of how Redfall would have negatively affected the balance sheet.
I guess i didn't really think it through. It is pretty bad it didn't increase yoy.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Except software revenue did go up.

The overall picture is not good w/ the hardware sales being down, but they did increase their non-hardware revenue enough end up in the + side against those disastrous hardware numbers.

Granted the software numbers going up has jack all to do with Redfall lol Just basic "userbase growing means software sales grow" shit.

Last edited:

NEbeast

They've done well to keep growing the division and make it profitable before they got the games out, good to see Gamepass still growing.
Once Starfield appears which is the most anticipated game this generation and then Forza I'm sure they will have hit the one game a quarter target. Eventually most gamers when you have that stream of exclusives will jump in.
Starfield will also generate a lot of extra money from Gamepass subscribers with the premium upgrade for early access, millions jumped on that with Forza Horizon 5 and this will be a lot bigger.
There is no way you ain't getting that MS money.

Codeblew

They've done well to keep growing the division and make it profitable before they got the games out, good to see Gamepass still growing.
Once Starfield appears which is the most anticipated game this generation and then Forza I'm sure they will have hit the one game a quarter target. Eventually most gamers when you have that stream of exclusives will jump in.
Starfield will also generate a lot of extra money from Gamepass subscribers with the premium upgrade for early access, millions jumped on that with Forza Horizon 5 and this will be a lot bigger.
I will probably subscribe for a month on PC and immediately cancel the subscription when Starfield comes out. May as well try it out for 10 bucks. Beats paying $70.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Once Starfield appears which is the most anticipated game this generation
laughing.gif

Xbox Series X/S January-June 2023 shipments estimates: 2.8m units

Playstation 5 January-March 2023 shipments estimates: 6.3m units
The 6.3 million shipment for PS5 is not an estimate, it is from Sony's financial report. April to June results are on Wednesday 9th August, i think 4 million is likely for PS5 and if FFXVI gave PS5 a bigger than expected hardware boost then possibly around 4.2 million so it could be at 10.5 million for the first half of the year.

Last edited:

drganon

200w.gif

StereoVsn

Phil holds Xbox first party games to make MS looked as the victim of the market so the ABK acquisition approved then boom…Xbox release all their first party games including COD on gamepass.
I could be wrong though.
Yes, this is all Phil's 4D Chess. He has been holding Xbox down for last 10 years so he can aquire Activision. Nobody could see that coming! Simply brilliant!

TheGrat1

I wonder how negative they would have been in the red if they had to foot the bill for Activation.
I think they are only counting revenue not including expenditures so even if they lost money in the quarter it would not show up in this metric.
However, if they did, the 1% was quoted as being $36 million which means the corresponding quarter had revenue of 3.6 billion. If you subtract the ACTVI acquisition money at $68.7 billion it will put them at -$65.1 billion or down about -18,000% YOY.

Tell me you are salty without telling me you are salty

onQ123

That's not what is going on here but I'll bite:

Xbox as a traditional console might actually be dead as we speak

Knowing that PS5 Pro is on the way & gives PS5 software the clear advantage for the next few years with games like GTA6 coming Microsoft just told us they will not release a Pro console any time soon.

If they let Xbox suffer from 2024 until 2027 it's going to be hard selling the next console .

Xbox only found success when beating PS3 to the punch so its either them cutting back on traditional console releases & hoping for a situation where other manufactures make devices that play Xbox content or they will jump ahead and release the next Xbox in 2025/26 to get a head start.

MrTired

I wonder what is MS motivation do keep selling consoles today. Are they doing to not let Sony dominate the living room just like in 2001 when they released the first Xbox?
Are they looking for maximum profits?

Because console users are the most valuable customer in there ecosystem. They get a cut of all transactions made by that user. If they we're to stop being a platform holder without a console then guarantee they wouldn't be able to make the current model sustainable (debate whether the current model is sustainable as is).

Xbox should just get a team like Nixes and announce they are gonna port games to PC the same way Sony does, 1 to 2 years per game. As wild as it is that would seemingly get people hype.

Then bite the bullet announce a program to trade in your series S for an X and then discontinue the S

Boom I just saved the Xbox and made it Gafs favorite console lol

Ginzeen

Banned
The game library of xbox series is so bad that I now only use my series x to get reward points to redeem amazon gift cards and use it to buy ps store credit.
They just need to get good games out their door consistently. They have plenty of good ips. Ball is in their court.

Riky

$MSFT
By the end of the gen Microsoft will probably have 40-50 million people using Gamepass on consoles, they aren't going to want to lose that income. Xbox consoles aren't going anywhere, Gamepass actually makes them more valuable to Microsoft.
I would actually expect more consoles in the future.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
By the end of the gen Microsoft will probably have 40-50 million people using Gamepass on consoles, they aren't going to want to lose that income. Xbox consoles aren't going anywhere, Gamepass actually makes them more valuable to Microsoft.
I would actually expect more consoles in the future.

I sure hope so. It's painful to see how this generation is going when they made such good hardware.

Riky

$MSFT
I sure hope so. It's painful to see how this generation is going when they made such good hardware.

It's sort of the opposite situation to the Xbox One, they have delivered the most powerful and the cheapest hardware but software that makes people want to upgrade is still incredibly thin on the ground. Microsoft have delivered three next gen exclusives, Flight Simulator which is stunning but niche, Hi Fi Rush which is stunning but niche and shadow dropped and Redfall which released half finished.
If you had 57 million Xbox One owners and now you have 22 million Series consoles with 5 million of those being new users according to MS then there is still 40 million Xbox one owners who haven't upgraded because they haven't been given a good reason to do so.
Starfield is that reason, then Forza. They have to start hitting that release every quarter for both Gamepass growth and hardware sales which lead to Gamepass growth.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It's sort of the opposite situation to the Xbox One, they have delivered the most powerful and the cheapest hardware but software that makes people want to upgrade is still incredibly thin on the ground. Microsoft have delivered three next gen exclusives, Flight Simulator which is stunning but niche, Hi Fi Rush which is stunning but niche and shadow dropped and Redfall which released half finished.
If you had 57 million Xbox One owners and now you have 22 million Series consoles with 5 million of those being new users according to MS then there is still 40 million Xbox one owners who haven't upgraded because they haven't been given a good reason to do so.
Starfield is that reason, then Forza. They have to start hitting that release every quarter for both Gamepass growth and hardware sales which lead to Gamepass growth.
The 40 Millions xbox one owners could have gone to PS5 or PC after being disappointed in the Xbox One gen
Why would they make the same mistake twice

But i still think Xbox overhyped hardware
All the talking about the most powerful console and Ray tracing, 120 fps and all that and we saw nothing of it from first party titles

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The 40 Millions xbox one owners could have gone to PS5 or PC after being disappointed in the Xbox One gen

All the talking about the most powerful console and Ray tracing, 120 fps and all that and we saw nothing of it from first party titles

Could have gone elsewhere but since PS5 hasn't sold 40 million and then we have 110 million PS4 owners on top there is obviously tens of millions of people yet to upgrade, simple maths
We saw Halo at 120fps and Forza with Ray Tracing so we have seen it and we have Forza Motorsport to come which is a real next gen only game, there is plenty to come from the hardware, The Coalition are bound to push it further.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Nailed it, Hopefully Starfield drives sales considerably...then a nice bump for the Forza fans and as we enter 2024 we see games like Fable deliver some magic back to the 360 days.

Overhyping hardware is not exclusive to Xbox, thats what fans of gaming need to get over this gen. Both MS and Sony have grossly overhyped their hardware in the past and we fall for it. They all need calling out.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Think Starfield will need to be a Breath of the Wild moment for it be the kind of sales driver some people hope it to be. And that seems like a very very tall order for a game that isn’t exclusive, is not from an established IP, and despite the hype amongst the hardcore it’s not really drawing that level of attention on YouTube for example.

Reviews will be very important and then Gamepass will have to really give it that exposure, where it gets millions of people playing it and talking about it and sharing word of mouth. So everything is still on the table there, and I wouldn’t make any definitive assertions, it could explode and break through.

Ginzeen

Banned
Think Starfield will need to be a Breath of the Wild moment for it be the kind of sales driver some people hope it to be. And that seems like a very very tall order for a game that isn’t exclusive, is not from an established IP, and despite the hype amongst the hardcore it’s not really drawing that level of attention on YouTube for example.

Reviews will be very important and then Gamepass will have to really give it that exposure, where it gets millions of people playing it and talking about it and sharing word of mouth. So everything is still on the table there, and I wouldn’t make any definitive assertions, it could explode and break through.
I wouldn't say a "very very tall order" when Bethesda single players rpgs tend to be critically acclaimed and sell well. Also SF looks amazing

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Microsoft is guiding extremely low for their next quarter, that alone tells you how much they think Starfield will change things for them, hardware-wise.

They will get a nice bump in revenue from PC sales and maybe some more gamepass subs and traditional Xbox sales out of it, but not much more imho, would be happy to be proven wrong here.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I wouldn't say a "very very tall order" when Bethesda single players rpgs tend to be critically acclaimed and sell well. Also SF looks amazing

How is that an argument? Did I say Bethesda single player RPGs review poorly and sell poorly?

You could put in more of an effort to argue the points I’ve made.

Ginzeen

Banned
How is that an argument? Did I say Bethesda single player RPGs review poorly and sell poorly?

You could put in more of an effort to argue the points I’ve made.
You said Starfield needs to be a breath of a wild moment. Meaning high sales and critcal acclaim. Bethesda single player track record supports that. It's not a "very very tall order" for it to be a breath of a wild moment.

Top Bottom