• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY24 Q2 gaming revenue up 49% year-over-year, driven by impact of Activision Blizzard acquisition

reinking

Gold Member
Nintendo actually stopped directly competing with PlayStation and Xbox since the Wii. But even the Wii put the pressure on the competition (see: Playstation Move and Kinnect). The Switch simply didn't cause any response from Sony or Microsoft. They aren't interested in releasing a portable/console hybrid.
Judge Corley would disagree with you.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's okay, no one will know with their cooked stats.
anigif_sub-buzz-1192-1553021496-1.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nintendo is its own ecosystem. They don't pressure Sony nor Microsoft.
Everything is a competition nowadays. Even Netflix is a competitor to PS and Xbox.

If folks are spending more time on Netflix watching movies and playing mobile games and, because of that, spending less money and time on PS and Xbox games, that's also direct competition. Even that will have a direct negative impact on PS revenue.

I think Jim Ryan also mentioned it once.

Same principle applies to Nintendo and PC games. Folks have a limited amount of time and money. And the audience overlaps.

Generic

Everything is a competition nowadays. Even Netflix is a competitor to PS and Xbox.

If folks are spending more time on Netflix watching movies and playing mobile games and, because of that, spending less money and time on PS and Xbox games, that's also direct competition. Even that will have a direct negative impact on PS revenue.

Same principle applies to Nintendo and PC games. Folks have a limited amount of time and money. And the audience overlaps.
What was Sony's response to the Switch? That $200 controller with a screen?

DaGwaphics

We don't agree on much (almost shocks me when it happens), but this seems completely reasonable. Time is a limited commodity for everyone and no amount of wealth can buy you more.

Topher

Gold Member
He's most likely talking about some replies on the 'lays off' thread, like this.

The thing is that some people were mistakenly reading it as if "More Personal Computing" segment had a cost of revenue of 19,6B dollars, which is not the case. Because everything that comes after the black bar (total revenue) is actually about the whole pie.

Well, it isn't a common graph and, frankly, it explains an income statement poorly. It is probably confusing to people because it looks like the bottom revenue stream continues into cost of revenue rather than the "whole pie" as you said.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We don't agree on much (almost shocks me when it happens), but this seems completely reasonable.
And that's okay. Different opinions keep it interesting :)
Time is a limited commodity for everyone and no amount of wealth can buy you more.
Yep. Limited money, too. And we have seen how companies seek QoQ and YoY revenue growth. If folks are spending money elsewhere (it doesn't have to be gaming), these corporations will not see growth, may even see a decline in revenue, and these gaming companies will have their asses on fire.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We don't agree on much (almost shocks me when it happens), but this seems completely reasonable. Time is a limited commodity for everyone and no amount of wealth can buy you more.
Really, anything entertainment wise that takes up people's time is competition. Its just not a direct industry competition, but time is still time.

Anyone who posts a ton on social media accounts can be seen as competition too. The more they post online, the less movies, games, TV, board games etc... they do. You can already see it as cable TV usage has dropped, but not because they arent interested in it per se. They prefer just talking about it on Twitter after streaming a but than actually sitting there on a couch for two hours straight.

It actually doesn't even have to be entertainment. When covid hit and people were stuck at home, gaming and digital stuff went up. So did home renovations. Covid passes and a lot of people are back to the office and shopping and all that digital stuff dropped. Every minute people spent more on commuting, shopping, and taking their kids to school, means less chance to play video games. It's physically impossible unless someone wants to jam it all into as much Clash of Clans and Fortnite mobile as possible on a coffee break.

Same goes for my company. When covid hit and a lot of people stayed home, any of our products that were related to going out and travel sunk like a rock. BUT, anything related to using it at home jumped to record sales. Turns out our biggest factors of sales isn;'t even from direct competing products. Instead it was covid and mandatory WFH and people afraid to go out.

Last edited:

MrTired

This why I believed subscription serviced wouldn't become the predominant model of accessing games. You need time to extract the value needed to maximise the cost of the service. And that's on top off the time spent on ala cart purchases.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

What was Sony's response to the Switch? That $200 controller with a screen?
Maybe, but Sony has been offering the same experience since PS3 and PSP.

Anyway, the only reason Nintendo is in it's own bubble, is because it was smart business. With Sony and MS going head to head, it makes it more difficult to be a third party chasing the same demographic.

The moment MS stops selling consoles, Sony and Nintendo will automatically go head to head like PS1 vs Nintendo 64.

Last edited:

twilo99

My favorite part of this graph is all the people that can't figure out how to read it.

Top right figure and the percentage below it is the significant bit.

Imagine how much more money they will be making if they stopped making plastic boxes for gaming!!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They had hifi rush, redfall, starfield and forza. They made the games, they just didnt deliver on the quality.

This was supposed to be Xbox's year. After almost a decade of 1-2 exclusives, and sometimes none, they finally had a decent line up and couldnt capitalize.

All of those are available on PC, though. There isn't a single, solitary game in existence you can only play on Xbox Series. There's no USP for the product. At all. It's quite incredible they ever thought it would sell well with that strategy.

Last edited:
It is perfectly understandable why would Microsoft exec want to release the games on other platforms - though I don't see them selling that much as aside big names (like Hogwarts, COD, Fortnite) and some first parties like (GoW or SM), the games don't sell much on Playstation either. In home consoles, Xbox has no chance to recover - granted even achieving a little bit lower result than Xbox One is not that bad but there is no chance that folks from PS will migrate to Xbox.

What was the last game that did not flop on PS that is not the part of FIFA, COD cycle? GoW and SM2. But everything else is either succeeded everywhere (like RE4 or Elden Ring or HP or BG3 so we don't know the sales of BG3) or did not sell that well at all.

Some games sell the same amount as they were in PS4 era despite being more expensive 🤷‍♂️ The new Death Stranding is more expensive than the original one, yet will it even sell the same amount?

Last edited:

MrTired

What was the last game that did not flop on PS that is not the part of FIFA, COD cycle? GoW and SM2. But everything else is either succeeded everywhere (like RE4 or Elden Ring or HP or BG3 so we don't know the sales of BG3) or did not sell that well at all.

Some games sell the same amount as they were in PS4 era despite being more expensive 🤷‍♂️ The new Death Stranding is more expensive than the original one, yet will it even sell the same amount?
So don't take into account anything that succeeds. Apart from that everything flops. Even though Playstation platform is the largest revenue source for a lot of these Publishers/Studios. Harry Potter did records sales because of the sales on the Playstation platform, same with FIFA etc.

jm89

So let's ignore the yearly big sellers, all the successful first party games and all the successfull third party games :pie_invert:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

This is a turbo delulu. Nice bait tho.

Ar¢tos

But if you believe the leaks they won’t transition to another system until 2028

What will sales be like in 3 years time
Digital.
As software becomes digital, so will Xbox hardware become digital. Xbox Series consoles will be downloadable soon, cheaper, less packaging, easier distribution, but no download numbers will be reported.

I’ll bring up the same thing I always bring up when Microsoft shares their revenue:

How much is actual profit?

$8 billion in gaming revenue don’t mean Jack if there is $9 billion in expenses.

Still no me mention of Gamepass subscribers.
Yep the old saying applies, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity

Xbox content and services revenue, which includes Xbox Game Pass, is up by a massive 61 percent. That’s largely because of the Activision Blizzard revenues, so it’s difficult to understand immediately how Xbox did without this giant addition.

Microsoft says the net impact from the Activision Blizzard acquisition is just over $2 billion in revenue, but the cost of integration, transaction costs, and other costs of revenue all total $930 million. With other operating expenses ($1.59 billion) it works out to an operating loss of $440 million.

Soooo long story short, a 61% increase in revenue due to takeover Activision/blizzard, yet 440 million loss under the line. Something tells me Xbox isn’t doing too well.

Also a 3% increase in revenue of consoles sold doesn’t mean they sold more consoles. Didn’t MS up their prices somewhere during the year? If so, it means less consoles sold but a tiny revenue increase because of the price hike.

Last edited:

Kikorin

At this point the real question is if they'll be able to destroy the CoD IP fast enough to not even get back the money they spent on acquisition. Hearing the rumours about outsourcing the development, probably the answer is "yes".

Jesb

I wonder if they change course and not develop console hardware anymore and instead rely completely on the cloud. Can they compete with GeForcenow instead of Sony.

Rollingrock

Neo Member
They increased gamepass ultimate price from $15 to $17. Game prices from $60 to $70. Released some games (starfield and forza) the last few months and without ActiBliz increased gaming revenue by 5%. Seems to me they didn't really grow. Maybe it's enough for MS though.

LordCBH

So basically, had they not spent 75 BILLION, they’d either be the same or worse compared to the same time the previous year. Fucking ouch.

RickMasters

The larger Series S share last year was offset by the big discounts in December this year so i think price per hardware purchase is very similar to last year. This means we should expect unit sales to also be around 3% higher, based on this I'm estimating 3.6 million for the Oct to Dec quarter for Xbox Series and just below 29 million lifetime to date.

EDIT: the consensus on InstallBase is despite the revenue increase the unit sales are likely to be marginally down yoy so i'm now estimating 3.4 million.

Shipments (millions of units)
JHLc2HH.png

If you are wondering the Nintendo earning's report is on February 6th and the Playstation earning's report is on February 14th. From the data we have from Circana / GSD / Famitsu i am predicting 6.4 million for Switch and 9.6 million for PS5.
So nothing has come close to selling or breaking the old PS2 and NDS records of 150M from the early 2000s........ Maybe console sales really did plateau a long time ago.

Dr_Ifto

So, by looking at the numbers, they were flat from last year, but since ABK wasnt part of XBOX, they can call it growth of 50%. Lies, all lies!!!

Astray

Gold Member
Revenue is vanity, profit is sanity, but cash is king.

Also the shell game of calling overall Microsoft gaming revenue "Xbox revenue" is still ongoing lol.

Topher

Gold Member
That's only true in online console wars. Stories we tell ourselves.

There is not nearly the competition between PlayStation and Nintendo as there is between PlayStation and Xbox. The games that are popular on Nintendo are dramatically different than the games that are popular on PlayStation\Xbox.

People even latched on to the "high performance console market" the FTC tried and failed to define just so they could make Nintendo not count.

They should have highlighted the games, not performance.

ByWatterson

I wonder if they change course and not develop console hardware anymore and instead rely completely on the cloud. Can they compete with GeForcenow instead of Sony.

Honestly I think they're waiting on good cell tech to natively run core games. That's closer to being fully realized than, you know, breaking the laws of physics to make data streaming faster.

Top Bottom