• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Solune

The first week of Ultimate felt so good. All of those fraud Wolverine players trying to Berserker Slash Dormammu and running straight into Flame Carpet. Bwahahahahaha! If only Hulk didn't get armor on Gamma Charge...
I was really surprised when I started to rank in Ultimate because, suddenly people weren't getting exposed by my Hulk :lol. Then I just went crazy in training mode most of the time. I still haven't completed H&H mode...
I'm surprised you swapped to Chris, too. What's with that?
I've always used Chris in Vanilla, then switched to Spencer team at the end of Vanilla's run. Then I've gone back to Chris because, I feel like I become a better player fundamentally.
Fill me in then, because I don't know that system.
Well in KoF2000, you pick your 3 characters, and then you pick a fourth character who is your Striker. This striker can be called at any time, even during knockdown or when you are being attacked. If they implemented the same type of system, except instead of having a dedicated assist character, use the characters that consist of your team. Basically just combine multiple aspects across games, Marvel/KoF2k/KoFXI.
<3 Grandia II. I'm going to be playing through the original soon. Halfway through Alundra right now, and then I'm doing Suikoden I and II.
Grandia II is amazing, it's definitely my favorite in the franchise. I'm not overly fond of the original but all of them have awesome battle systems. Also good taste! Alundra is great. I'm assuming you haven't gone through Suikoden I and II before? Both great games as well, just good everything. PSX - PS2 era has so many countless good RPGs.

Or the great Egyptian god, Anakaris!

What cool stuff does Norse mythology have?

I see "Ouroboros" was already named. Basically Odin Sphere's take on Norse or Valkyrie Profile. Fafnir could have a very strong potential candidacy, as he is originally a dwarf turned dragon form due to his greed. Some other interesting monster concepts would be Nidhogg, the serpent that consumes Yggdrasil. The other standout concept I can think of is having Sleipnir in a kind of humanoid form.

Weird Amaterasu glitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxVQ4TkStI&feature=player_embedded

I was really surprised when I started to rank in Ultimate because, suddenly people weren't getting exposed by my Hulk :lol. Then I just went crazy in training mode most of the time. I still haven't completed H&H mode...
I completed H&H mode because I just loved all the fun combinations I could do, but it became stale very quickly without a way to perform multiplayer. Firebrand with aerial superarmor = rofl.

I've always used Chris in Vanilla, then switched to Spencer team at the end of Vanilla's run. Then I've gone back to Chris because, I feel like I become a better player fundamentally.
I know that feeling. It's the major reason I use Dark Harmonizer over Hidden Missiles. Hidden Missiles leads to lazy Dormammu play based on Purification spam, Dark Harmonizer leads to my blood pumping.

Well in KoF2000, you pick your 3 characters, and then you pick a fourth character who is your Striker. This striker can be called at any time, even during knockdown or when you are being attacked. If they implemented the same type of system, except instead of having a dedicated assist character, use the characters that consist of your team. Basically just combine multiple aspects across games, Marvel/KoF2k/KoFXI.
Oh okay. I would be cool with that. Teams of 4...damn.

Grandia II is amazing, it's definitely my favorite in the franchise. I'm not overly fond of the original but all of them have awesome battle systems. Also good taste! Alundra is great. I'm assuming you haven't gone through Suikoden I and II before? Both great games as well, just good everything. PSX - PS2 era has so many countless good RPGs.
I've never played a Suikoden game. I thought it was interesting when my friend was playing Suikoden II before back in the day, but just never gave it a shot. Grandia definitely has some of the best combat in the RPG world. I loved Grandia II, and then I played Grandia Xtreme...which was as awful as the name suggests.

I see "Ouroboros" was already named. Basically Odin Sphere's take on Norse or Valkyrie Profile. Fafnir could have a very strong potential candidacy, as he is originally a dwarf turned dragon form due to his greed. Some other interesting monster concepts would be Nidhogg, the serpent that consumes Yggdrasil. The other standout concept I can think of is having Sleipnir in a kind of humanoid form.
All good stuff. Maybe even just a general valkyrie would be good, too, since most Darkstalkers are based off of archetypes.

sorry karst, usually the lag isnt too bad. you still stomped me though.
I had to use a lot of lag tactics, the wins I got weren't respectable. I would never naked teleport into c.L with Dark Phoenix from full-screen normally. :p You're right that the lag usually isn't that bad. Goddamn is Spencer frustrating in lag, since all I can do is go for air throw punishes on the zip line yet I can't time it at all.

The online loser flow chart to me is play a small 3 match set, opponents gets bodied, picks 3 characters that counter your 3 characters or picks a brain dead power team ( Wesker, Vergil, Wolverine ect or sometimes team armor)

Good games Hypernima. I would have loved to see more of that Tron, Frank and Chun action but I understand. It wasn't working out to well. Of all of your characters you went with I'd say your Morrigan was the best. You got the combos down pretty well, but I would have tried to zone me more with her instead of approaching. She is so good at zoning from afar and high away. I don't have an answer to it except for a lucky hit.

Solune

Huh, very weird glitch.
I completed H&H mode because I just loved all the fun combinations I could do, but it became stale very quickly without a way to perform multiplayer. Firebrand with aerial superarmor = rofl.
Anyone with Super Armor sounds pretty dumb!
Oh okay. I would be cool with that. Teams of 4...damn.
It's only a dream now. Maybe it will be a dream match someday !
I've never played a Suikoden game. I thought it was interesting when my friend was playing Suikoden II before back in the day, but just never gave it a shot. Grandia definitely has some of the best combat in the RPG world. I loved Grandia II, and then I played Grandia Xtreme...which was as awful as the name suggests.
It's funny because I was discussing in IRC how, I can hardly name ANY jRPG franchise that has survived post-PS2 era and stayed critically acclaimed. Stay Free Breath of Fire =(
All good stuff. Maybe even just a general valkyrie would be good, too, since most Darkstalkers are based off of archetypes.
I LOVE Valkyries. Blazblue's Tsubaki easter egg is awesome I tried to main her for a while but, I don't like the fact that you have to charge with her, not what I want in an "animu" fighter. I've been waiting for Card Sagas Wars forever so I can use more Lenneth. Anyway if we were to have a Valkyrie archetype in Darkstalkers, she would have to be... "Dark" like Hrist to keep the theme.
I can't play anything other than my team in this game guys. This is bad. :lol
@Thread: OT and all, but I thought you might be interested in this. Why no one else ever touched on the idea of X in particular as more than just running and shooting is beyond me.

Not necessarily bad, but I think it's good to expand your horizons. My desire to play Spiderman and Morrigan is still strong, but I'm having a hard time committing teammates to them. Also that was a cool vid, didn't know MontyOum was still active...

Why don't Dante players Reverb Shock -> Fireworks from full-screen?

Anyone with Super Armor sounds pretty dumb!
It's super dumb on Firebrand because of Bon Voyage. Capture state > opponent's super armor, and nothing is going to outprioritize Bon Voyage with super armor.

It's only a dream now. Maybe it will be a dream match someday !
So many dreams, so few developers worthy of them.

It's funny because I was discussing in IRC how, I can hardly name ANY jRPG franchise that has survived post-PS2 era and stayed critically acclaimed. Stay Free Breath of Fire =(
This generation was brutal to JP developers in general. All of them are too obsessed with "catching up" to western games aside from the golden few like Hideki Kamiya.

I LOVE Valkyries. Blazblue's Tsubaki easter egg is awesome I tried to main her for a while but, I don't like the fact that you have to charge with her, not what I want in an "animu" fighter. I've been waiting for Card Sagas Wars forever so I can use more Lenneth. Anyway if we were to have a Valkyrie archetype in Darkstalkers, she would have to be... "Dark" like Hrist to keep the theme
All about the Hrist. Card Sagas Wars also has BoFII Nina playable. :-O Tsubaki should say "Nibelung Valesti" backwards during her Astral Finish.

I love Norse mythology in general. What a badass afterlife. "You get to fight every day, die, and then do it again". What a bunch of life-affirming men those must have been. Much healthier than the Christian "If you die, you get to relax from the burden that is living".

Frantic

Why don't Dante players Reverb Shock -> Fireworks from full-screen?
It's a 2 frame cancel that's 20 frames into Reverb Shock that could potentially get you hit with a projectile, or get hit by a normal from someone fast if you mess up the cancel and don't react into Devil Trigger fast enough. It's really good, but unless you're really consistent with it, you're usually better off using something guaranteed to come out.

The day I can cancel into it 100% off every situation is the day I become the best Dante. Which means basically never because I'm not consistent with anything in this game(and if I were, I'd lose 90% less), but it's a goal!

Zissou

The only time I go for an empty cancel reverb shock xx fireworks in a real match is to try to OTG into super off of a full screen vajra hit. I'm too scared to try it otherwise (´&#65381;_&#65381;`)

hypernima

Banned
The online loser flow chart to me is play a small 3 match set, opponents gets bodied, picks 3 characters that counter your 3 characters or picks a brain dead power team ( Wesker, Vergil, Wolverine ect or sometimes team armor)

Good games Hypernima. I would have loved to see more of that Tron, Frank and Chun action but I understand. It wasn't working out to well. Of all of your characters you went with I'd say your Morrigan was the best. You got the combos down pretty well, but I would have tried to zone me more with her instead of approaching. She is so good at zoning from afar and high away. I don't have an answer to it except for a lucky hit.

Yea first half you were playing me. And I still struggle a tad with L M-M-Maya? The other team was my friend but he kept dropping his inputs cause my controller is bs. I'm glad I finally figured out phx needs a hit confirm into objection mode. I expect to use that knowledge in our future matches.

Zissou

Stinger xx reverb all day, profit.

I always do this without thinking in the corner and regret it. If they don't push block and they're cornered, you're right next to them, and at +1 on block, you KNOW they have a normal fast enough to beat anything you press. Luckily people always push block me away to safety.

Uggh i'm back now but my router's broken so i need to wait until tomorrow to start the challenge. I guess i'll just work on my sagat design for the darkstalkers contest.

@Thread: OT and all, but I thought you might be interested in this. Why no one else ever touched on the idea of X in particular as more than just running and shooting is beyond me.

Heh. First thing I thought when I watched this video is dude was jacking Monty oum's style. Turns out he worked on this.

But fuck yes, thats the kind of megaman that should be in marvel and his games in general.

But would traditional megaman fans be happy about it?

Also that was a cool vid, didn't know MontyOum was still active...

He works for rooster teeth after a short stint at namco.

he is responsible for all the action scenes in the last 3 seasons of red vs blue (check them out they are fucking amazing) and has his own series coming out this year.

Still, I wish he would go back and finish Dead fantasy, really wanted to see what he he planned for Ryu Hayubusa Vs Cloud.

Helping run the SF GAFbats has got me thinking whether or not people would actually stick to a long-term plan for a Marvel version. But maybe I'm just cynical.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Helping run the SF GAFbats has got me thinking whether or not people would actually stick to a long-term plan for a Marvel version. But maybe I'm just cynical.
I think we definitely have enough people that play regularly, especially on PS3. Likely timezones will be an issue though.

I probably wouldn't be able to commit to it, personally.

onionfrog

This would be pretty cool. I'm not very good at the game or available regularly enough to participate though. If it does happen any chance of Kadey being able to stream it?

I'm also disappointed that the Internet at my parents is ass so I won't be able to play anybody on PSN during my holiday vacation time.

No, I was gauging interest. But if people are already worried about committing, then it'll be over before it can begin.
I've never participated in a ranbat before, so I'd need to know what all the rules and such are. When I commit, I commit, though. I was just expressing a preference.

Why does it *need* to be twice a week?

Three times a week would be asking too much since people already have trouble with 2 times a week.
Once a week would get people too complacent, and it would make the ranbat take even longer than necessary.
Two is a safe middle ground, and it's the format that I already know. You don't *have* to enter it if you don't like the format.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but for fuck's sake it's frustrating having people flake with little to no communication or reasons why. Playing two people within the span of 7 days should not be some daunting task.

Top Bottom