• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doctor Who Series 1, 5, 31, or Fnarg Thread of Moffat & Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Sam said:
So, the Doctor cut and dyed his hair, grew some facial hair, got a new sonic screwdriver (which subsequently was destroyed) and threw on some clothes he found in NEXT?

The dubiously canonical becomes even more dubious.

Maybe he went undercover on a U-Boat?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DoctorWho said:
I had a blurb from another website but lost it. I've heard rumors this has something to do with Big Finish productiosn. To be honest, I'm not too sure why they would need to do a costume change.

This seems strange. Unless he is launching his own campaign for a Time Lord mini or he's returning to the new series somehow.

Either way, I don't like the new threads too much but I'm glad to see McGann back in action, somewhat.

Maybe it's a costume redesign for the inevitable four Doctor special for the 50th anniversary of the show: The Four Doctors. :O

McGann plus Eccleston plus Tennant plus Smith. They can bring Eccleston back with whores and crack or something.

Mr. Sam

DoctorWho said:
Maybe he went undercover on a U-Boat?
I genuinely think Ecclestone would have been more at home on a U-boat than that... thing. In fact, Captain Jack calls Nine a U-boat captain in The Empty Child. Or The Doctor Dances. I forget.

Regulus Tera said:
Maybe it's a costume redesign for the inevitable four Doctor special for the 50th anniversary of the show. The Four Doctors. :O

McGann plus Eccleston plus Tennant plus Smith. They can bring Eccleston back with whores and crack or something.

I get the impression that Moffat would be just fine with using the original costume.

Mr. Sam

DoctorWho said:
I get the impression that Moffat would be just fine with using the original costume.
McGann said he'd play The Doctor if he didn't have to wear a wig.

Did they not offer McGann the role when they relaunched?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mr. Sam said:
McGann said he'd play The Doctor if he didn't have to wear a wig.

Did they not offer McGann the role when they relaunched?

RTD wanted a new guy. He wanted to keep continuity in the background during that first series.

Those calling for a McGann "Time War" miniseries must be in a tizzy right now.

The fact that WETA designed the sonic has me curious. That must not have been cheap.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I would KILL for a "The Four Doctors" with McGann, Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith.

Seriously. Do it, BBC.

(But seriously, that's going to go on my list of "Awesome Doctor Who related things that will never happen" right next to Lego Doctor Who, which would be the best Lego game ever.)

Mr. Sam

I think Eccleston would be the only one that'd need serious persuading. I'm thinking Tennant's half human fan fic Doctor will rock up at some point in the next few years.

Keyser Soze said:
Rose (the episode) is complete rubbish. I think it was said that it was done on a tight budget to convince the BBC a series could be viable... which is weird, as the next episode was supposed to be one of the biggest budget episodes of that season - far too much CGI and not enough money to do it

I don't think any full season you're about to watch will impress you hugely, as Season 1, 5, 31, or Fnarg is the high point, and you've already watch that. You will however have loads of great standalone episodes if you keep on going - "Dalek," "The Empty Child,"
and"The Doctor Dances" for example.
Yeah, it did feel kind of low budget with the first episode. Finally caught the second episode and I'm surprised at all the CG. From the sun expanding to all of the aliens, robot spiders, etc. The last "human" was pretty funny, would have liked to see more of her (him?). :lol

Too bad for tree girl. : /

Oh, and finally get an explanation for why Rose went with the Doctor. I did think it was kind of weird that she just went with him in the first episode. Now she's saying it was just a spur of the moment decision. The Doctor is pretty cold blooded when he just let Cassandra die like that.

I need to start marathonning the episodes, at this rate I'll never catch up.

Mr. Sam

Crewnh said:
The last "human" was pretty funny, would have liked to see more of her (him?). :lol

You will be pleasantly surprised. Or not.

I need to start marathonning the episodes, at this rate I'll never catch up.

The soonest any new episodes are going to air is Christmas Day so no need to panic.

On an unrelated note, how long have you had a Christmas avatar?

Haha, of course. Time travel right? Or possibly clones. Hmmm.

I've had this avatar since like, last November. Just never felt like changing it, it's Christmas time all year round. :lol

The Doctor Who Experience

Doctor Who fans will get the chance to step inside the Tardis and defeat the Daleks in a new show dedicated to the long-running programme.
The Doctor Who Experience will include special effects and newly-filmed scenes with current Doctor Matt Smith recreating the Time Lord’s adventures.
The show, which opens at London’s Olympia on Sunday February 20, also includes an exhibition charting the history of the show from its first series in 1963 to the latest episodes.
Original costumes, a Tom Baker-era Tardis and Cybermen, Silurians and a Zygon will also be on show.
Executive producer Steven Moffat said: “The Doctor Who Experience is a fan’s dream come true – a fully interactive adventure that will allow viewers of the show to get as close as possible to some of the scariest monsters from the series.
“It will also be the first time that Doctor Who artefacts from all the show’s 47-year history – classic and new – will be on display together, many of them being seen for the first time.
“And never mind that, this is the day the Doctor teaches you how to fly the Tardis through time and space, and takes you into battle with all his deadliest enemies in a brand new adventure.
“So steady your nerves and bring your own sofa – the Doctor needs you.”
The Doctor Who Experience will eventually be given a long-term home in Cardiff in 2012.

tardis-308112045.jpg

image008.jpg

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbi...-inside-the-doctor-who-tardis-91466-27575026/

Keyser Soze said:
did Prydon ever get a mention in the new series at all?

Was it ever mentioned in the old series? I thought all that crap came from the novels. Time Lord society should have remained mysterious, not all this cafes & TV presenters shite.

Dr Zhivago said:
Was it ever mentioned in the old series? I thought all that crap came from the novels. Time Lord society should have remained mysterious, not all this cafes & TV presenters shite.

Did Drax go to Prydon? I can't remember if he was the one who mentioned it on TV. I know Theta Sigma was mentioned in The Armaggedon Factor.

Dr Zhivago said:

Deadly Assassin I think?

Dr Zhivago said:

I am not sure.

I heard of it, but I never read the novels, so I just thought it was from the old series (which I saw a few bits and pieces off - over half I guess)

I could have just heard it talked about though, and it stuck in my head for a conversation

Mr. Sam

WhoGAFers who pre-ordered Series 5 from Amazon UK might be waking up to a pleasant surprise this morning. I received by steelbook special edition blu-ray this morning, two whole days before the official UK release. It only cost me £50, which brought me back to the days that the sets would cost about £80. I'd take a picture but my brother still has my camera, along with my copy of Leon. Remind me to get those back off him.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna get all up in this bitch later today. Anyone else as lucky?

Rokam

So ready for Tuesday have had the series 5 discs in queue since I started watching. :lol I'm glad they're not delayed a month like a lot of shows/movies on netflix.

Mr. Sam

I also never understood why the Confidential episodes were seemingly abridged, especially with the increased storage capacity of blu-rays.

kinda Who related:

BBC aims to gain from global iPlayer

John Smith, the chief executive of BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial wing, said it would open up the "under-exploited" market for UK shows, such as Top Gear and Doctor Who.
The move will mean that advertising could be introduced on to the iPlayer unless BBC Worldwide decides to charge viewers to use the service.

Five signs up to Project Canvas broadband television venture
Executives have yet to decide which option will be introduced, but they said the Trust's decision will enable them to raise funds needed after the Government's decision to freeze the licence fee.
It is estimated that global audiences would pay up to $10 for an episode of its most popular shows.
Mr Smith said: "Not only will that mean international fans of, for example, Doctor Who can get their fix legitimately [rather than downloading programmes illegally], but it has the potential of opening up a new revenue stream for the entire UK production industry, alongside sales to traditional broadcasters.
Luke Bradley-Jones, MD of Global iPlayer, said: "Our research has shown there is an international audience of British TV fans that are frequently watching TV online – and we are excited about rolling out our iPlayer VOD [video-on-demand] service to meet and grow this demand. We strongly believe the Global iPlayer is going to offer an excellent opportunity for the UK's creative industry to directly reach much sought after digital audiences and revenue streams around the world."

$10 an episode is crazy. I'd pay a monthly fee for Hulu Plus style access to everything.

infiniteloop said:
kinda Who related:

$10 an episode is crazy. I'd pay a monthly fee for Hulu Plus style access to everything.

$10 an episode.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

$10 per episode?

WTF? The Queen can't pay her bills again?

Edit: Actually, this must be the same accountant that sets BBC's prices for DVDs in North America. Fucking $90 for a season of Doctor Who. Then, $60 for 6 episodes of some other 20 year old series.

No wonder people pirate their stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BBC America has made a joke of Top Gear getting downloaded in their advertising. And the Top Gear crew apparently has good relations with a certain Top Gear fan site that links to torrents.

DrForester said:
BBC America has made a joke of Top Gear getting downloaded in their advertising. And the Top Gear crew apparently has good relations with a certain Top Gear fan site that links to torrents.
The head honcho Andy Wilman is always referencing Final Gear in his blogs on TopGear.com

Yeah I know you're avoiding writing the name, but if they do on a BBC Worldwide site I think it's fine :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JonathanEx said:
The head honcho Andy Wilman is always referencing Final Gear in his blogs on TopGear.com

Yeah I know you're avoiding writing the name, but if they do on a BBC Worldwide site I think it's fine :p

I mention them in my Top Gear threads, I just don't mention what they do there.

I'm guessing that Top Gear likes it because after you count all the downloading, they have the most watched TV show...

In the World.

8bit

Knows the Score
infiniteloop said:
kinda Who related:

Up to 10 dollars per episode suggest a premium tier of pricing though, if this meant it was simulcast with the BBC1HD showing I'd probably pay if I didn't already have BBCHD.

Just finished series 4. Fucking awesome season. I got goosebumps during the two part library episode. Great premise and great ties to the mythology of the doctor. He is such a mystery that any pieces like that are devoured by me, and in that two parter i got a meal. The episode after it was also great. Incredibly simple bottle episode, but so well written and acted it was thrilling.

Man i fucking love David Tennant. These next few specials i have to go through will be tough to watch.

Also, screw the haters, i thought Catherine Tate was great. She was funny and i felt complimented the doctor, and more importantly, i felt delivered more in the dramatic stuff than the other two. Seeing her alongside the other two companions during that finale only sealed it for me.

God bless you netlfix for helping me discover what i have been missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom