• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigandier

1). Xenoblade Chronicles

2). Deus Ex Human Revolution (PC)

3). Uncharted 3

4). The Witcher 2

5). Skyrim (PC)

6). Gears of War 3

7). Rayman Origins (360)

I don't have any others to vote for this year.

1. Batman - Arkham city: Flying around as Batman was just awesome. Still some of the most fun combat ever.

2. The Witcher 2: Story was a little convoluted, but Geralt and crew are such a fantastic group of fully realized characters that it more then makes up for it. Combat is much improved from the first and one of, if not the, best looking games ever.

3. Gears of War 3: Fixed the broken ass multiplayer from part 2 and added the only things missing from the series with four player co-op and actual characters.

4. Portal 2: Fantastic writing and crazy end fight
shooting to the fucking moon!
more than make up for the easier puzzles.

5. Xenoblade Chronicles: Favorite JRPG since PSX era. Great characters and fun combat system surrounded by a world filled with a billion different things to collect/kill/explore.

6. Bastion : Beautiful game with an unexpectedly engaging story. Soundtrack of the year also helps.

7. Assassin's Creed- Revelations: If you're already into the series, it's more of it. Fills in the story in some interesting ways and ends Ezio's journey in an unexpectedly cool way.

8. Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword: Didn't care about this game at all before release. Fell in love with it pretty quickly. Managed to add things to the series that I would have never asked for or wanted before, and made me love it all. If it weren't for the worthless hours of fluff it would be higher.

9. Uncharted 3: More Uncharted can't be a bad thing. Whole series has the best voice acting and character dialogue ever in a video game.

10. Mortal Kombat: Haven't given a shit about a fighting game since SNES era. This felt like it fell through time right from that era. Fatalities could have been better/more varied. But, the crazy story, great combat system, and sheer amount of content puts other modern fighting games to shame.

John

1. Batman: Arkham City ; disclaimer: i beat this ten minutes ago
2. Portal 2 ; The co-op DLC was the best part!
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ;
4. Bulletstorm ;
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ;
6. Alice: Madness Returns ;
7. Orcs Must Die! ; With this, Sanctum, and Dungeon Defenders (which I haven't gotten to play yet), this has been a very good year for TD/TPS hybrids. While Sanctum offered more flexible mazing possibilities, I'll nod OMD just for the upgraded mace/slow tiles combo.
8. The Stanley Parable ; Showed that there are still neat ways of playing with pomo narrative mechanics in games.
9. Sanctum ;
10. Serious Sam BFE ;
x. Rage ;

2010. Costume Quest ; was released on PC this year anyway. Nice to see such an honest celebration of modern suburbia and our traditions.

Riposte

Your Excellency is really shitting up this thread.

Naturally, since it wouldn't be a stretch to say his entire history of posting has been a pile of shit.

I disagree with 99% percent of lists, but really, who cares? If you know people you disagree with greatly get to decide the NeoGAF GotY, why care about the NeoGAF GotY?

1. Dark Souls; not just Game of the Year, but an easy, far-and-away favorite for Game of the Generation. It has a few issues that it shouldn't, even getting wrong a few things that Demon's Souls got right, but the interconnected world design and massive amount of viable, meticulously designed content (vs. the bland repetitive masses of some open worlds) push it to its own untouchable tier.
2. Portal 2; a very good game made great by the hilarious entertainment of its narrative.
3. Resident Evil 4 HD; If it weren't my 50th playthrough, it might be #1. I think the fact that it was my 50th playthrough, and a flawed port (360 version), and still #3, and I'm listing it even though it's disqualified, speaks volumes.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword; a great game made just good because it's wrapped up in an insulting "Zelda for Even Dumber Dummies" package that hits a new low in intrusiveness.
5. You Don't Know Jack; the greatest party game in a long time.
6. Outland; Beautiful, great "simple parts add up to complexity" design, and priced right, too ($10 while surrounded by inferior $15 games).
7. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit; Probably would'nt have ranked if I hadn't skipped the last few NFS games, but I put a fair amount of time in and enjoyed it. Extra props for the PC version being so pretty.
8. FAST Racing League; the closest thing to F-Zero this gen, it's like gruel for a starving man - probably not as good as it seemed, but it kept me alive while I wait for the main course.
9. Resistance 3; I'm not done with it yet, but I love it. Underrated, it's better than all the "big" FPS games and maybe my favorite this side of the fantastic new Goldeneye (which I didn't play in HD yet, so no rank).
10. Serious Sam: Double D; Simple, funny, and fun. And forgotten.

2010. Just Cause 2; Wow! I almost missed this one, thank God for friends' recommendations and demos. The design is pretty lazy, but the focus on destroying everything is perfect for sandbox gaming and makes it a blast to play and sidestepped my inurement to sandbox completionism.

This year is probably my first in a long time where I have been fine with leaving my xbox turned off and my pc on. Despite that I've probably played more games this year than I have in a long while. Not enough to complete a 10 strong GotY list (there were a few disappointing purchases: Brink I'm looking at you), but still plenty for me.

1. Minecraft (The disparity between minecraft and everything else on my list is incredibly large. Minecraft is the most fun I've had gaming, ever. It's also the perfect gateway game. Bought a copy for my sister, who hasn't played a video game in 10 years, and she was instantly engaged.)
2. Portal 2
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (It's a great game, and it holds a candle to Morrowind where Oblivion never could, but once again Bethesda is going to have to rely on modders to fix the game, and good lord that interface)
5. Bastion
6. Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword (Yes, the multiplayer is nowhere near as good as Warband, but I had an absolute blast with the singleplayer of With Fire and Sword. Getting attacked and having a line of rifleman inside your wagon fort shooting at the charging enemy was as entertaining as my times charging the enemy as a plate-clad knight in Warband.)
7. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
8. Star Wars: The Old Republic (It's early days yet for TOR but Bioware has certainly changed the leveling process in MMOs for the better. My character is a unique entity whom I am invested in not because of the time spent and items gained but because I want to see what planets my bribe-taking, tough-as-nails Imperial Agent will travel to, and what [or who] he will do on these worlds.)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
(1) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; This is one of those special games where it is incredibly long but it never quite overstays its welcome. Very few games can achieve this and, as a result, this is my choice for GAF game of the year.

(2) Gears of War 3; The conclusion to the current Gears trilogy refines the Gears formula. The gameplay is still fairly unique from other shooters and, although it does not bring anything extremely new to the series, it is the refinement that makes this game a must have.

(3) Batman: Arkham City; This sequel to Arkham Asylum brings in new elements that make sense to the series while retaining what made the first game so great. The open world structure of the game makes the player feel like Batman but it also does not take away from the metroid style gameplay of the first game.

(3) Portal 2; The sequel to Portal has everything the first game had without relying on the old jokes of the first game. Instead, it presents the player with new Portal jokes and new Portal gameplay which is what any Portal fan could ask for. This is one of those games that any self-respecting gamer needs to have, although this is not a game for everyone.

(4) Mortal Kombat; This game revitalizes the Mortal Kombat franchise and makes it relevant again. I don't think anything else needs to be said. Mortal Kombat is back.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Dark Souls
3. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
4. Radiant Historia
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
6. Mortal Kombat
7. Sonic Generations
8. Outland
9. Gears of war 3
10. NBA 2K12

2010. Vanquish

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
1. The Witcher 2; An astounding game in ever fashion. Also has the balls to lock away almost 20 hours of content behind the choices you make.
2. Portal 2; More Portal, always a good thing.
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution; About as good a Deus Ex game as can be expected in the current gaming climate.
4. Saint's Row 3; While far more limited then SR2, it was still a blast to play. Every open world game needs coop like this.
5. Batman Arkham City; I really like this franchise, while I didn't overly dig the open world stuff it was still a great time.
6. Serious Sam 3: BFE; A glorious arena combat game with some of the best encounter design in the series.
7. Dawn of War 2: Retribution; It's more Dawn of War 2. I fucking *love* Dawn of War 2.
8. Might & Magic Heroes 6; A fantastic entry in a fantastic series. It's also *insanely* huge.
9. Dead Island; I'm a sucker for coop games, even moreso when they are loot heavy RPG's. I am really sick of zombies though.
10. Mortal Kombat; Quite possibly the best entry in this series. Haters be damned, it's fun as fuck.

x. Hard Reset; Would probably occupy Serious Sam's slot if Serious Sam hadn't come out. Awesome game.
x. Bulletstorm; People can fly know how to make a fun fucking game I'll tell you that much.
x. Assassin's Creed Revolations; This would have made the top 10 if not for the assy tower defense and Desmond bits.
x. Skyrim; The least offensive Bethesda game since Todd Howard took over. It gets an honorable mention for taking up 80 hours of my time.

* I haven't put enough time into Anno 2070 to really add it to my list, but it's awesome and should be on there.

conman

1. Dark Souls - A perfect mix of RPG character building, Japanese action game combat, and Metroidvania-style level design. Convinced me more than Demon's Souls that this was a game worth dumping dozens of frustrating hours into.
2. Jamestown - Does more to revolutionize its genre than most other games last year. As wacky as the setting might seem (English colonials in the New World battling an alliance between the Spanish and a Lovecraftian horde of tentacled creatures), it's a perfect fit. It also might be the smartest reflection on the inherently speculative nature of video games as a medium. The fact that it's also a stellar shoot-em-up is just icing on the cake. In a year filled with sequel after sequel, this was the freshest, smartest, and most profound experience of the year.
3. Batman: Arkham City - Completely unexpected, especially from a sequel. It's as though the creative leads have read Michel Foucault and Frederic Jameson. It's a wonderful twist on the formula of Arkham Asylum, but with a much smarter, much more pointed critique of the current proliferation of the "prison-industrial complex" in our own world. Wayne, an anti-prison activist in the outside world, becomes Batman, a non-lethal "activist" in another sense, when he enters the city/prison. Alongside the first Assassin's Creed, Arkham City shows that games are surprisingly well equipped to handle ideology critique.
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Not as fresh or exciting as Morrowind, but certainly the "fuller" game.
5. Fight Night Champion - A supremely underrated game, but a tough sell. The story mode alone would put this among my top games of the year.
6. Portal 2 - Valve does it again. And with cross-platform play, to boot. I wish the singleplayer campaign were more of a challenge and had scalable difficulty, but still an incredibly creative and entertaining game.
7. Catherine - A game that shouldn't be as good as it is. I've always appreciated, but never enjoyed the Persona games. This is the game that made me understand what makes those games so appealing.
8. Outland - If not for the laggy multiplayer, this would have easily been a top pick. As is, it's a fresh take on an old formula.
9. Pixeljunk Sidescroller - I've always been a sucker for Pixeljunk's visual and audio style, but I've never really clicked with their game design. Then Sidescroller hooked me.
10. Crysis 2 - Straight-up FPS fun with a few twists.

x. Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets - It's an arcade port and a double pack, so it'd be cheating to toss this into my list. Otherwise it'd be in my top three.
x. Child of Eden - Levels can drag and this really should have been a downloadable release, but man, this game is beautiful and a great return to form.
2010. Gran Turismo 5 - Polyphony Digital has done more to beef up and support this game post-release than any other game I can think of outside of MMOs. I dumped dozens upon dozens of hours in it in 2010, and dumped dozens more in 2011.

The M.O.B

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  2. Portal 2
  3. Terraria
  4. Alice: Madness Returns
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles
  6. Battlefield 3
  7. Super Mario 3D Land
  8. Mario Kart 7
  9. Witcher 2
  10. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Honorable Mention
Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Terrible/broken A.I, boring/repetitive melee combat and a 1990's era UI killed a big part of the game for me. BUT despite these setbacks, the ability to explore a huge land and generally giving me a beautiful sense of adventure still has me playing this game. Shame it was not nearly as fulfilling as the bold promises Bethesda spouted.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
1. Portal 2; I loved the first one and had a fairly lofty expectations for the sequel. Somehow managed to blow them away. Hugely funny and the feeling I had when I finished the game was indescribable. Pure gaming bliss.
2. Spacechem; Reminded me a lot of The Incredible Machine. A lot of fun and genuinely challenging and rewarding.
3. Frozen Synapse; Sadly I didn't get to play this game all that much but it still manages to be one of my favs for the year. I'm a sucker for deep thinking strategy games and everything about the game feels perfect. Brilliantly designed. A shame I can't get my brother to play me again. :(
4. Battlefield 3; I play games to be entertained and the random moments you can find in any Battlefield is why I love this game. Nearly every game you can find a funny story you just have to tell someone about.
5. Terraria; Took what was interesting about Minecraft and turned it into an entertaining side scroller. Gets points for being constantly updated.
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; I loved this game enough to double dip the first day I played it. I love the sense of exploration. Fixes just about everything I felt was wrong with Oblivion. Wore on me a little but mostly due to my problems with playing open world games.
7. Orcs Must Die!; A fun tower defense game.
8. Dungeon Defenders; Same as above + RPG elements. Can't wait to persuade someone to play coop with me.
9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings; Was great what I played of it. One bit at the start blew me a way and hooked me for a while but like any game that isn't WoW I have problems playing for a long time.
10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Great until you reach the boss fights. Loved the setting and atmosphere.

Grassy

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; Surprised me by being pretty bloody good even in vanilla form and I haven't stopped playing it since it was released. The music is amazing.
2. Forza Motorsport 4; A great game if you're a car-nut, you can spend hours taking photos, making designs/painting your cars even before you start the racing side of things. Season mode is much improved and Rival's Mode is fucking incredible.

x. Dark Souls; Only got 30 hours in but it was during bad time for me personally and I just couldn't keep going. Will get stuck back into it sometime in the near future.
x. The Witcher 2 Didn't play enough of it to give it a ranking,(only reached Flotsam and fucked around a bit there) but what I played was really impressive.

2010. Demon's Souls; I bought it in 2010 when it was released in Australia but never got further than 30 minutes before giving up on it, thinking it was a pile of shit. Then I discovered GAF and the Demon's Souls OT this year, and after reading through I was convinced that I was "doing it wrong" so a few months back I tried it again and I now count it as one of the best games I've played.

I didn't get to play as many new games as I would have liked this year, Steam sales and getting a new PC in May have contributed to me adding about 100 games to my backlog :\

Solo

It both saddens and delights me that it won't be until 2012 that The Witcher 2 gets its true due at GAF.

NIGHT-

1. Gears of war 3( ending to the best new franchise this gen)
2. Skyrim
3. Dark Souls
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
5. Portal 2
6. Bulletstorm
7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
8. Witcher 2
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
10. Uncharted 3( awesome game but wtf happened.... Huge let down overall)

Barrett2

And that's just from page 1 of this thread, where it was rated 7, 10, x, and 9. It's a shame for the fantastic team at ND that their great game - one of the best of the year - will ultimately end up being considered an epic failure by Neogaf. It wasn't a failure in the same way that, say, Crysis 2, Resistance 2, or MGS4 were failures, it seems people dislike it because it didn't improve on UC2. Quite how the game could improve on UC2 (except for, yknow, building a fantastic multiplayer, adding co-op campaigns, adding split-screen play, etc) is unclear, especially since it had a development team about half the size of UC2.

Shame he was banned. He must have been getting too close to the truth.

If I may draw your attention, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, to page 3, post 75 of the thread, where we see yet again another flagrant attempt to undermine not just Naughty Dog studios, nay, but I would argue the very fabric of this message board!

jfksplash.jpg

The Shift

Banned
1. Skyrim ; Bethesdo what Obsidicant, sucked away hours/weeks of life
2. Eve Online Crucible ; for correcting a litany of mistakes and customer ill will
3. Lushington Springs ; 5 in the morning one more game addiction and the hardest of cores
4. Fusion Genesis ; surprise depth and gameplay, counted with the best XBLA has to offer
5. Bastion ; art and narration naturally honed with gameplay to match
6. Forza 4 ; solid, finely tuned update to a great series
7. Battlefield 3 ; bipolar gameplay but still spectacular
8. Fruit Ninja Kinect ; instant gratification
9. From Dust ; the best time-wasting screensaver this year
10. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet ; great art and design, fluid puzzles and gameplay

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Portal 2
3. Bastion
4. From Dust
5. Dance Central 2
6. Fancy Pants Adventures

There are so many games missing from this list, mostly because I've had next to no time to play anything. :(

Jaeyden

1. Batman Arkham City
2. Portal 2
3. Little Big Planet 2
4. Uncharted 3
5. Dark Souls

*PS3 Skyrim, would have been on my list but alas it's borked and unworthy of a vote. Can't vote for what you can't play.

RickA238

Is Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP for iOS allowed? It's not on the list in post #2, and I haven't seen anybody rank it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I can't be the only one, but any way we can get an extension on the deadline?
There's just too many games that came out later this year to fairly play all of them to judge given the holidays and NYE coming up.

I mean, I haven't even had a chance to play so many major contenders due to backlog
damn you and your time sink difficulty Dark Souls!
that Jan 7 just seems earlier than usual.

RickA238

I can't be the only one, but any way we can get an extension on the deadline?
There's just too many games that came out later this year to fairly play all of them to judge given the holidays and NYE coming up.

I mean, I haven't even had a chance to play so many major contenders due to backlog
damn you and your time sink difficulty Dark Souls!
that Jan 7 just seems earlier than usual.

I'd love an extension by about a week. I'll be away from home for two weeks with the holidays, so it will be impossible for me to give chances to the game that I would like to.

1. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3; no game is more hype. Ever.
2. Gears of War 3; for sheer amount of awesome content and improvements.
3. Batman Arkham City; greatest superhero story game ever.
4. Saints Row the Third; the most fun campaign in ages.
5. Earth Defense Force Insect Armaggedon; a US version that improves on the JP games.
6. Dark Souls; sheer fucking madness. How does it exist?
7. Dead Space 2; each one getting closer to matching RE4's greatness.
8. Dead Island; Borderlands with more satisfying combat (melee guy).
9. King of Fighters 13; gorgeous and old-school. Nice to see in this day.
10. Ghost Trick; best story driven game this year. Wanted to clap at the credits.

x Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, Xenoblade, Bastion, LA Noir, Bulletstorm, Skyward Sword, Super Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, Ghost Recon 3DS, Deus Ex, Tactics Ogre LUCT, Little Big Planet 2, Motorstorm Apacolypse, Yakuza 4, Ace Combat AH, Dead Rising OTR, Sonic Generations, CoD MW3, Child of Eden, Gunstringer, Catherine, Shadows of the Damned, Infamous 2, You Don't Know Jack. Skyrim should be up there but I'll put 10x more time into it next year.

x2010 Rock Band 3 and SSF4 continue to be as played as much as anything else by me

Best re-releases/remakes
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary
Metal Gear Solid HD
SF3: Third Strike
Star Fox 64 3D
KOF 2002 UM
Ico/SOTN
Sonic CD

bob page

1. Skyrim
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Portal 2
4. Gears of War 3
5. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (PSN)
6. Sword & Sworcery
7. Game Dev Story
8. L.A. Noire
9. Uncharted 3
10. Bastion

irriadin

1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; The game is almost perfect. Excellent writing, interesting and remarkable characters, compelling gameplay and an astounding score & visuals. I had high expectations for this game, but I was still completely floored by the Witcher 2. Without a doubt the finest RPG of the generation.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; I didn't like it as much as Twilight Princess, but Skyward Sword was still a great evolutionary step in the Zelda franchise. Some of the most charming characters and designs I've ever experienced in a game. I particularly enjoyed the characterization given to Link + Zelda; their relationship felt much better defined than almost every previous incarnation.
3. Pokemon Black / White ; The best Pokemon game ever. Not only is combat 100x faster than before, almost every aspect of the game is streamlined / made faster as well.
4. Portal 2 ; Great puzzles, strong design & story. One of the best ending sequences in any videogame.
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; Yes, lots of bugs, but this is the only Bethesda game that I can foresee myself finishing. Only finished Act I, so I still have a long way to go, but the improvements over Oblivion are remarkable.
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; Stealth based games can be few and far between; HR filled the void nicely.
7. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together ; It's incredible to think that this game first came out in the mid-90's. The story is great by today's standards; back then, this must have been extraordinary. A lovingly remastered and retooled version of a classic.
8. Crysis 2 ; The graphics are as good as ever, even if the non-linearity goes sharply in the other direction. Improved combat versus aliens makes up for it, though.
9. Ghost Trick ; The guy behind Phoenix Wright really did a great job with this one. It's a very fun game, and while it might be short, it is undoubtedly memorable.
10. Alice: Madness Returns ; A pleasant surprise. While I can't say the game was exceedingly impressive, it did have some very memorable portions and great art design.

2010: God of War III ; Probably still the best graphics for the console. While it can't measure up to the previous two GoW games, it still blows the competition out of the water with phenomenal set-pieces and an uncompromising difficulty.

Evlar

Banned
Is Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP for iOS allowed? It's not on the list in post #2, and I haven't seen anybody rank it.

It's new, original and released this year (March 2011 per Wiki), so it should certainly count. It would have been in my Top Ten list if I had listed ten.

Wow, such an amazing year for gaming...Still so many more I need to play.

1. Uncharted 3
2. Terraria
3. LittleBigPlanet 2
4. Team Ico Collection - not allowed :(
4. Saints Row: The Third
5. Infamous 2
6. Batman: Arkham City
7. Battlefield 3
8. Portal 2
9. Assassin's Creed Revelations
10. Resistance 3

1. Gears of War 3 ; The Gears series has become one of my most beloved games, it's been great to see the progression and improvements Epic have made to the series over time. The amount of polish that went into this release is what made it number one for me, multiplayer has now become an almost nightly event, normally I don't stick with the multiplayer aspect of games longer then a week or two, but already iv put more time into Gears 3 coop and vs then anything else out there right now.
2. Batman: Arkham City ; I just love anything Batman, loved AA and although Arkham City did have a disappointing story in terms of length, overall it was a very sold and enjoyable experience.
3. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; Not much to say was just an Amazing experience, it had it all.
4. Dead Space 2 ; Was everything and more that I wanted in a sequel, huge fan of horror and it did not disappoint.
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; This may have been higher on my list, but I find my immersion is constantly being interrupted, the world is fantastic but the lack of interactive animations is a real stand out thing for me, so many times I just keep saying, "wow it would be really nice if my character actually reached out and pushed that button", or actually handed over an item instead of it just magically appearing on a table, it's personnel nit picking, but that sort of thing really bugs me. The dragon encounters and Music are what really won me over.
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; Was hard to put this one down, was one of them games where replaying a section differently was worth the effort.
7. RAGE ; If it wasn't for... well you know what, I may have just put this one higher, but the smooth gameplay and enemy encounters were just fantastic, I did feel it was let down by the player not really having any fancy movement like in Crysis 2, at least a slide would have been nice to get into cover quickly... but overall it did feel like a solid ID game and that's all I needed.
8. Crysis 2 ; Great game and some of the best movement in an fps yet, it's such a shame no one plays online anymore (aus) because through my eyes it blew the CoD games out of the water, absolutely loved the multiplayer map designs, traversing high and low through the levels was a great feeling.
9. Bulletstorm ; If anything this one gave me a good laugh, and a more unique take on fps combat, certainly deserves a sequel.
10. Assassin's Creed: Revelations ; Well it's more Assassin's Creed... that's all I got.

1. Bastion
2. Catherine
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Portal 2
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6. Dark Souls
7. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
8. Hard Corps: Uprising
9. Xenoblade Chronicles
10. Ghost Trick
x. Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
x. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

2010. Nier: Gestalt

GhaleonQ

It's nice to see the junior posters adding explanations. It helps me, at least, put a point-of-view to a name and avatar.

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Dark Souls
5. Dead Space 2
6. Killzone 3
7. Gears of War 3
8. Child of Eden
9. Infamous: Festival of Blood
10. Sonic Generations

Pepto

Banned
1. Forza Motorsport 4
2. Saints Row: The Third
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
5. L.A. Noire
6. Crysis 2
7. Bulletstorm

1. Portal 2
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. Bastion
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. Dirt 3
7. L.A. Noire
8. Crysis 2
9. Gears of War 3
10. Battlefield 3

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; Just an absolute pleasure to play (and platinum). The story was good and the gameplay top notch. So good to play a game where I can kill (almost) no-one.
2. Portal 2 ; Excellent writing and fantastic fun.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Played on Insane on PS3 and confirmed my love for the game. Love that Space Opera.
4. Child of Eden ; It's the sequel to fucking Rez.
5. Killzone 3 ; I didn't really get on with Killzone 2 however I had an absolute blast playing through this and even got involved with the MP (which I almost never do).
6. Sonic Generations ; Sega why has it taken you this long to make a decent Sonic game!

beril

1. Super Mario 3D Land - Possibly the best Mario game since SMW, sublime platforming, pretty graphics, great music and it finally feels just right to stomp a gomba in 3d
2. Ghost Trick - Phantom Detective - insanely smooth animations
3. Dragon Quest VI - It's DQ, it's portable, it has slimes
4. Xenoblade - Didn't quite live up to the extreme gaf hype, but still managed to steal 100 hours from me
5. Catherine - great puzzle game but the story was a bit weak

crispyben

1. Portal 2 ; my personal GotY because it did everything perfectly from challenge to fun, from length to tone, from SP to co-op, it’s just the gift that keeps on giving.

2. Driver: San Francisco ; the most overlooked game of 2011, a breath of fresh air in both SP and MP that required a little suspension of disbelief, but what game doesn’t?

3. Rayman Origins ; the other most overlooked game this year, a shame that it flopped because you cannot put a price tag on such a complete experience that even my wife plays!

4. Batman: Arkham City ; “I’m Batman” is the first trophy/achievement you get in this game, and that’s all there is to say really, with so much remaining to do…

5. InFamous 2 ; another superhero sequel that trumped the original in many ways, most notably graphics, even though it became a bit of a grind towards the endgame.

6. de Blob 2 ; a sequel to one of my favorite Wii games on HD platforms was unexpected, and it delivered on its promise, a fine showcase/swansong for the IP.

7. Assassin's Creed: Revelations ; Ubisoft keeps going back to that well, and I keep buying whatever they bring out, but serious signs of drought are starting to show…

8. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; my disappointment of the year, maybe proportional to the overblown expectations, but I’ll have to replay it post-patch on Crushing.

9. MotorStorm: Apocalypse ; that release date proved quite unfortunate, but there was a fun and sometimes infuriating game in between those cheesy cutscenes.

10. Child of Eden ; my first Mizuguchi experience led to complete sensory overload, leaving me barely able to complete the main archives. Can’t imagine 3D…

x. OutLand ; a gem of a game sacrificed by the PSN outage and Ubisoft’s lack of promotion, it combines visuals and gameplay in true Housemarque style.

2010. Vanquish ; watching tactical challenges videos after completing the game on normal makes it even better retrospectively, until you try to emulate what you saw!

rakhir

1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; One of the best RPGs ever made, with great story and stunning graphics
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; Bethesda's best game yet, merging Morrowind depth of content with Oblivion/Fallout systems, adding more polish than ever (PC version)
3. Portal 2 ; Another great follow-up that improved its predecessor on every level (still bummer it wasn’t difficult enough)
4. Bastion ; the soundtrack would be enough for this list, but then there’s the innovative narration, touching story and beautiful painted art
5. Alice: Madness Returns ; Most underrated game this year featuring crazy girls, disturbing dolls and most mesmerizingly real hair in games
6. Magicka ; I’ve just killed my friend with a enormous ice missile and we still had a great time
7. Star Wars: The Old Republic ; for having two things ideal for me: bioware/kotor story and WoW without the ‘WoW’ part
8. Assassin's Creed: Revelations ; it’s still super fun to stab people
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; despite not finishing it I still really liked the world in which game takes place (despite very weird-looking, small heads)
10. Orcs Must Die! ; tower defense in its best
2010 game: Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes PC ; one of the best puzzle games I’ve played in a while

Honorable mention: Dragon Age 2: I liked it a lot more than most of you guys, but it’s still a dissapointing sequel

Big pile of games that i did not have time to play: Warhammer:Space Marine, Batman: Arkham City, LA Noire, Saint's Row 3, Gears of War 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom