• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of DS Homebrew (hint: It rocks. Seriously)

Twig

Banned
Calamachino said:
So I ordered a CycloDS Evolution yesterday from realhotstuff.com, and now any trace of that order has disappeared from my account.... Like I never ordered it. Is this normal?
They're onto you!

Run!

Hide!

No, seriously, that sucks. I've heard bad things about that place in the past, though. At least I think it was that place...

fatty

Calamachino said:
So I ordered a CycloDS Evolution yesterday from realhotstuff.com, and now any trace of that order has disappeared from my account.... Like I never ordered it. Is this normal?

I ordered yesterday as well from there. Checked the account and it shows the order being shipped. Sorry man, don't know what to tell you.

womp

saelz8 said:
CycloDS or R4?

Tell me now!

If you want a card that doesn't support over 2 gig MicroSD cards, lacks a bunch of cool features such as real time save and overall compatibility, where the developer doesn't give a crap and ignores it's user base and rarely updates it's product...

R4

Otherwise make the intelligent choice and get the CycloDS.

The R4 is only popular because that is what everyone knows about and has, unfortunately a year ago the R4 would have been a smart decision but now?

No go, it's being left in the dust by better newer tech.

saelz8 said:
I went with the CycloDS and EZ-FLASH 3 in 1.

Is there any homebrew that allows media streaming from PC's?

lastcrusade-knight.jpg

You chose....Wisely.

As for media streaming I am not sure but if it exists it can be found here...

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

saelz8

Thanks Womp! I was really close to getting the R4! I didn't even know about the CycloDS until I read some of your earlier posts in this thread. (Last minute research)

Did some more research on other sites to corroborate your posts, and it does look like the best card available right now.

Slicker interface too, based on some Youtube videos.

The picture is hilarious, cause one of the main things I want to do is play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis with ScummVM DS. :D

saelz8

Calamachino said:
You sure you're logged in?

Make sure save your confirmation email, you should have a order number.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can you guys tell me more about the Neo-Geo emulator? Has it been updated? I'm really interested in this; I already play CPS2 and Neo-Geo like crazy on my PSP, but the DS has better battery life and it would be just awesome having well-done Neo-Geo gaming on the DS.

Link1110

Is there any way to get saves from the wii/pc versions of Scummvm to run on DS?
I want to continue Fate of Atlantis when I go out tonight.

fatty

Ordered my CycloDS and 3in1 EZ flash on Wednesday and it's already here. Yay!!!

Also ordered my MicroSD card from newegg on Wednesday and still waiting for it. Doh!!

Hope I get it tomorrow. Oh and my CycloDS tin was a little banged up when I got it but the rest of the experience so far from realhotstuff.com has been great with the superfast shipping. If you order from them don't forget about the 5% discount (code SAVE5).

Link1110

fatty said:
Ordered my CycloDS and 3in1 EZ flash on Wednesday and it's already here. Yay!!!

Also ordered my MicroSD card from newegg on Wednesday and still waiting for it. Doh!!

Hope I get it tomorrow. Oh and my CycloDS tin was a little banged up when I got it but the rest of the experience so far from realhotstuff.com has been great with the superfast shipping. If you order from them don't forget about the 5% discount (code SAVE5).
Where from? I may upgrade to a CycloDS.

Shafto

I take it CycloDS Evo is the way to go nowadays then. Anyone know where the best prices are for one in the UK?

Am I right in thinking it's all I need now - I don't need a Slot2 card or anything to go with it, but there are advantages?

saelz8 said:
I went with the CycloDS and EZ-FLASH 3 in 1.

Is there any homebrew that allows media streaming from PC's?

I believe DSFTP lets you boot NDS files stored remotely. So you can stream... DS homebrew. Don't know about movies and stuff.

womp

Shafto said:
I take it CycloDS Evo is the way to go nowadays then. Anyone know where the best prices are for one in the UK?

Am I right in thinking it's all I need now - I don't need a Slot2 card or anything to go with it, but there are advantages?

Not necessarily no, however...

If you want a all in one rumble pak, RAM pak (For say Nintendo's Opera browser) and GBA solution (I use it to play a couple of my old GBA carts on the go without toting them around with me, such as Scrabble Blast. heh) than the EZ 3 in 1 is a perfect $20 or so sidekick in your Slot-2 along side your CycloDS. The next release (Once out of beta) of the Cyclo firmware is going to allow in menu selection of the 3 in 1's features, including running GBA straight from the main GUI etc, without needing any 3rd party tools to do it.

Sorry, you R4 people are once again screwed thanks to lazy developers. :/

the year 20XX said:
Do you have issues with the touchscreen menu in nesds? It's so inaccurate as to be unusable for me.

Do you have the most RECENT release of NESDS? I think it should be from August 07 or so but there was a release of it that actually fixed the touchscreen issues if I am not mistaken. Currently I have no problems myself although there have been in the past.

Honestly though, you don't really need the touchscreen enough to label it "unusable" outside game selection and save file backup.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
womp said:
Do you have the most RECENT release of NESDS? I think it should be from August 07 or so but there was a release of it that actually fixed the touchscreen issues if I am not mistaken. Currently I have no problems myself although there have been in the past.

Honestly though, you don't really need the touchscreen enough to label it "unusable" outside game selection and save file backup.

thanks for the heads up on this. i didn't have it, but it's much better as far as the touch screen saving.

aku:jiki

Shafto said:
It's the famous way to go, anyway. I have several cards, including a Cyclo, and I much prefer the Acekard. Doesn't help that at least my Cyclo keeps thinking that there isn't an SD card in the slot so I have to reboot the DS a few times to get it to recognize the card. (Might be a problem with them being SDHC cards, but then again, Acekard has no such issues.)

*will never stop telling people to buy an Acekard instead*

I'm not a viral marketer, honest!

Rufus

womp said:
Unless they magically get rid of the load time we'll be fine. It's not that much of a hassle.

aku:jiki said:
(Might be a problem with them being SDHC cards, but then again, Acekard has no such issues.)
I have the same problem with my R4 sometimes. I'm using a 2GB SD card.
I think it happens more frequently (or only) if the SD card is almost full.

womp

aku:jiki said:
It's the famous way to go, anyway. I have several cards, including a Cyclo, and I much prefer the Acekard. Doesn't help that at least my Cyclo keeps thinking that there isn't an SD card in the slot so I have to reboot the DS a few times to get it to recognize the card. (Might be a problem with them being SDHC cards, but then again, Acekard has no such issues.)

*will never stop telling people to buy an Acekard instead*

I'm not a viral marketer, honest!

Negative on that...I have a 4GB A-Data SDHC and no issues from it here on my Cyclo. I think in general though that memory cards, sizes, brands and all the little variables apparent in there DO come into play but as far as I can tell it isn't an issue with the flashcart itself.

It is a very finicky technology to get working 100% kosher with each other at times. :)

Do you have the latest firmware? Beta or otherwise?

Rufus said:
Unless they magically get rid of the load time we'll be fine. It's not that much of a hassle.

I have the same problem with my R4 sometimes. I'm using a 2GB SD card.
I think it happens more frequently (or only) if the SD card is almost full.

The R4 isn't a bad card, heck I own one of them as well that my wife now uses to store her entire 5 game DS collection on. :lol

However the big issue for me was the lack of support for cards above 2GB and the overall lack of updates and poor developer support as a whole. R4's updates have only been to support "sk3n3 releases" of certain roms that are incompatible with their flakey ass firmware already in place whereas the Team Cyclo team actually incorporates new functions and continues to do so to great response. Such as an in game menu for brightness change, main menu reset, real time save states and out of the box support for the EZ 3 in 1.

The amount of great features available in the Cyclo, stuff that was put into place by listening to their userbase, is really awesome whether you use them or not. I think what it comes down to is for a new user who is looking to buy a card NOW that there ARE better alternatives to the old last year tech of the R4 such as the Cyclo or the already mentioned Acekard for instance.

The initial load time threw me off at first but honestly once the GUI is loaded up it is a non issue and games boot no faster or slower than on the R4 as far as I can tell.

The bottom line for me is the fantastic and continuous developer support and feedback. Team Cyclo again seems to really be there for their userbase overall. Whatever you choose though the cards seem to all be very good at handling homebrew these days in any casae.

womp said:
Not necessarily no, however...

If you want a all in one rumble pak, RAM pak (For say Nintendo's Opera browser) and GBA solution (I use it to play a couple of my old GBA carts on the go without toting them around with me, such as Scrabble Blast. heh) than the EZ 3 in 1 is a perfect $20 or so sidekick in your Slot-2 along side your CycloDS. The next release (Once out of beta) of the Cyclo firmware is going to allow in menu selection of the 3 in 1's features, including running GBA straight from the main GUI etc, without needing any 3rd party tools to do it.

Afraid I can't see the part where R4 users are screwed; GBA Exploader works excellently with the 3-in-1.

womp

Peronthious said:
Afraid I can't see the part where R4 users are screwed; GBA Exploader works excellently with the 3-in-1.

Yeah but it wasn't with the help of the R4 developers was it? You're using a 3rd party tool to even access it otherwise the R4 wouldn't use it straight out of the box.

It'll work but it isn't integrated for starters.

I have access to the CycloDS beta's and as someone who owns the R4, the CycloDS and a 3 in 1...Honestly, there is no comparison as to which combo works better overall.

The CycloDS is symbiotic with the 3 in 1...You plug both in and go without the need for any seperate apps. For starters...GBA and DS fully selectable in one directory via the main GUI? You got it. The stuff being worked on is great and it is all thanks to a close user base and developers that listen to it and want to improve and make their product better.

R4 users are screwed because the guys that created it don't give a crap about it's further development and that was my original intention by saying that. After owning a R4 for about a year and a half I got tired of the false pretenses and waiting around for something great to happen in terms of updates and upgraded to the Cyclo after seeing all the exciting features and compatibilites being maintained at all times on it. Check out the Cyclo forums, they are buzzing always. Not to mention the R4 tops out at 2GBs and frankly that space wasn't cutting it anymore, especially when you factor in LameBoy, NESDS, multiple homebrew apps, my bought and paid for DS and GBA collection and a few podcasts.

Bottom line again is still that if you are in the market for a card right now, the R4 isn't even close to the best available anymore and to recommend it at the moment is irresponsible purchasing research. Unless you can get one super dirt cheap you are much better off putting the extra $5-10 into the Cyclo or AceKard. That said if you currently have an R4, it'll work fine but I found it a frustrating experience any more. Then again my main console is the Nintendo DS so your mileage will obviously vary based on that. ;)

womp

sonikokaruto said:
supodsedly, with the supercard (i have one ... don't laugh) you can play gba games if you have a supercard slot 2 ... wich doesnt worl

The Supercard Lite can do GBA but its compatibility isn't too hot and there is horrible slow down in quite a few games, even ones you wouldn't expect such as Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

Bah! I can't seem to get Scumm running on my DS. When I click on "add a game" it doesn't show me any of the folders I've set up. Any help would very much be appreciated.

edit: I'm using CycloDs if that helps.

methodman

Banned
Forgotten_Taco said:
Bah! I can't seem to get Scumm runing on my DS. When I click on add a game it doesn't show me any of the folders I've set up. Any help would very much be appreciated.

What are you using? R4? Make sure the files are unextracted completely.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Womp sounds like he's in the CycloDS selling staff or something.

R4DS works. 3in1 works in it after you patch the roms to see it (which the R4DS doesn't do on the fly), and you can flash gba roms to it through like 2 or 3 different rom flashers. Rumble also works.

Sure, CycloDS has all these options built in the card for the mentally challenged, but you can do everything CycloDS can on a R4 with a little research.

Except the more than 4 gigabyte SD card.. that you can't do. :D

Yeah, CycloDS is the better option now. R4DS has had it's fair amount of updates (where it matters. Like, game X or Y not working properly).

Real Time Saving are just like Save States on emulators, and they are lame. I actually prefer R4DS not supporting them.

They're both very good. I'm a long time owner of R4 and I'm glad i bought it as opposed to some sort of supercard crap or AceKard (which sucks).

CycloDS is the only other Slot1 solution that was released that's as good/better than R4. You'll do fine with either one.

^^

why would someone get an R4 over a CycloDS or an AceKard?

i mean, i'm fine with my EZV, but i just wonder why someone getting a card *now* would opt for an R4?

Banned
Bojangles said:
Holy fuck. I recommend EVERYONE check out Animanitee.

It's a minimalist drawing application for flipbook animations!!

Steps to euphoria:

1) Download Animanitee
2) Install it
3) READ THE CONTROLS on the mainscreen
4) Draw a starter animation*
5) Dream.

* Make a "HI MOM" animation by:
draw an "H"
hold L and select DUP (duplicate)
draw the I
hold L and select DUP (duplicate)
repeat for all letters
then hold L and choose play.

If you skip these steps you are missing out. On Life.

Here are some sample animations:

For this link, fine sir, I thank you! Man, what a program! Hope it can dump to an animated gif one day! that'd be amazing! Avi support is a godsend as it is!

The fact it's got a background and animation layer is fantastic! A bit of a hint, if you want to do a 'building' animation, hold L, select the background layer and then you just need to hit right on the D pad to go to the next page that copies all of the data with it automatically. I've been just drawing away on the touch screen whilst 'spamming' right on the D Pad to make a 'real time' drawing animation. Genius!

Then for an image that refreshes every page, do the duplication method on the foreground layer.

If I had my microSD usb thing here i'd upload some stuff to here.

saelz8

Mine just arrived in the mail, nice.

Question - Is it possible to switch out of moonshell without turning off the DS?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So I've been told that they finally discovered the means to dump your own DS games (including saves!) PSP style. I would LOVE to carry around all of my DS games on one card, much like I do with the PSP, but I have no interest in downloading ROM or UMD dumps.

Now I'm ready to re-enter the DS homebrew scene. As useful as I can occasionally be with the PSP homebrew scene, I'm pretty useless with the DS/GBA scenes. But I'm looking to learn and purchase!

I hear that the CycloDS is the slot-1 card to go with these days. What about slot-2? Anything useful there?

Thanks in advance!

fatty

Mejilan said:
So I've been told that they finally discovered the means to dump your own DS games (including saves!) PSP style. I would LOVE to carry around all of my DS games on one card, much like I do with the PSP, but I have no interest in downloading ROM or UMD dumps.

Now I'm ready to re-enter the DS homebrew scene. As useful as I can occasionally be with the PSP homebrew scene, I'm pretty useless with the DS/GBA scenes. But I'm looking to learn and purchase!

I hear that the CycloDS is the slot-1 card to go with these days. What about slot-2? Anything useful there?

Thanks in advance!

For the hundreds of times you've helped me, hopefully I can give back some (even if it is just a little). I just bought a CycloDS along with the EZFlash V 3 in 1 slot 2 cart from realhotstuff.com. (very fast shipping and there's a 5% off coupon)

Haven't had a chance to use it yet (just received my MicroSD card today) but I've done a little research since I'm in the same boat as you, and would rather just dump my own games.

With the CycloDS Evolution there are three options:

How to make your own ROM Dumps with a CycloDS Evolution

General Troubleshooting: How to dump your game cartridges into ROM files with a CycloDS Evolution

The easiest method if you have a CycloDS Evolution is to use a particular NDS homebrew program. The NDS homebrew program mentioned can be found on the internet called Rudolph's NDS Backup Tool and can come in 3 variations:

* WiFi version, which you can use to transfer your Game Cartridge's ROM to your PC through a WiFi connection.
* Slot-2 version, which you can use to transfer your Game Cartridge's ROM to your Slot-2 Flash Cart IF IT USES EXPANDABLE MEMORY. You must patch the homebrew with the DLDI of your Slot-2 flash Cart to use it.
* EZ-Flash 3-in-1 version, which you can use to transfer your Game Cartridge's ROM to the NOR Memory on the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 (up to 32MB) and retrieve it to the CycloDS Evolution's MicroSD. See the 3-in-1 page for a full guide.

On top of transfering ROMs of your Game Cartridges, you can transfer the save files of your Game Cartridges through one of the above methods, AND import your own save file, from using your CycloDS Evolution to play the ROM for example. The CycloDS Evolution uses a clean, generic 512KB save file, meaning a CycloDS Evolution save file will work on any DS cartidge, and can be easily transferred to another flash cart if you wish.

These links explain how:

Backing up Retail Cartridges to CycloDS

Backing up a Nintendo DS Game Cartridge using Wifi

I bought the EZFlash 3 in 1 because of the ability to back up my games and get supposedly perfect compatibility with my GBA games. I'm going to play with the CycoDS and 3 in 1 tonight and see how it stacks up.

womp

drizzle said:
Womp sounds like he's in the CycloDS selling staff or something.

CycloDS is the only other Slot1 solution that was released that's as good/better than R4. You'll do fine with either one.

Nope, I'm not on the staff...Do you work for R4? :D

I just don't see why everyone should be recommending R4's at this point in time when there are better products out there and yes the R4 is capable but the CycloDS IS a better card than the R4 and a better purchase at this point in time than it.

Another awesome thing about the CycloDS is the built in patching of GBA. You can enjoy using the 3rd party apps and fiddling with various options to get the R4 to work as well as a CycloDS all you want, that is perfectly fine for current owners of it, however why bother when the CycloDS does all these things on its own? It isn't a matter of being mentally challenged to get the R4 working to that point but more a matter of convenience. Why sit and patch, run extraenous apps or play around with menus when you can do something automatically and is built into the firmware proper? Ok, you don't like the Real Time Save options but that doesn't mean they suck. I don't use it either but know quite a few people who love it, but hey at least the option is there right?

This isn't a flashcart war here (LOL!!) since as I said I was an R4 owner since they released and I've since given it to my wife, it does work fine...but when someone asks "What is the best card to get into homebrew with?" and to reply "Get an R4" is silly these days.

You'll do fine with either one for sure, but why settle for second best? :D

The Faceless Master said:
^^

why would someone get an R4 over a CycloDS or an AceKard?

i mean, i'm fine with my EZV, but i just wonder why someone getting a card *now* would opt for an R4?

Exactly my point. I've not used the AceKard myself but it too sounds like a great alternative 'upgrade' over the R4 as well.

Mejilan

So at this point, a CycloDS and a complimenting EZV 3-in-1 is the way to go these days? A free shipping to NY? Awesome. :D

I imagine that there's no substantial difference between the GBA-sized and regular (Lite?)-sized EZV 3-in-1 carts, besides the obvious, right?

Thanks for the links and advice, folks!

I've been dying to get a PSP-games-on-a-mem-stick-like convenience out of my DS. This sounds like it's it!

itxaka

Defeatist
New NeoDS version! 1.1a

v0.1.1a
* Forgot to include updated NeoDSConvert is last version

v0.1.1
* Added level2 sprite cache in slot2 ram (if installed)
* Increased rom page size (fix grenades Metal Slug 1)
* Fix interrupt acknowledge (fix Metal Slug 2)
* Fix tile layer palette update (Last Blade 2 gui)

* Update converter to use latest MAME data (fix issues with King of
Fighters 98, etc)
* Thanks to FluBBa for a DAA Z80 instruction that doesnt need a stupid
lookup table (saves ram)
* Fixed -bios options in NeoDSConvert

http://groups.google.com/group/neods

Awesome!

vareon

I'm considering to jump into this homebrew stuff and some questions...

Is there any kind e-book reader (PDF, CHM or anything) ? This is my main reason for homebrew, reading on my DS seems comfortable enough.

Any planner/organizer? I might need to take quick notes and such.

Banned
itxaka said:
New NeoDS version! 1.1a

http://groups.google.com/group/neods

Awesome!

I can remember being a kid and walking into HMV and seeing the NeoGeo systems there for somewhere around $800 australian, with each game at around $150 I think... Something crazy! The carts were huge and I remember somewhat being in awe of this machine. Now to think I can play these games on my DS is kind of blowing my mind somewhat... Life, eh.

womp

Mejilan said:
So at this point, a CycloDS and a complimenting EZV 3-in-1 is the way to go these days? A free shipping to NY? Awesome. :D

I imagine that there's no substantial difference between the GBA-sized and regular (Lite?)-sized EZV 3-in-1 carts, besides the obvious, right?

Thanks for the links and advice, folks!

I've been dying to get a PSP-games-on-a-mem-stick-like convenience out of my DS. This sounds like it's it!

Perfect fit but be sure to indicate the color at checkout.

Mejilan

Yeah, I'll try to get both in black, to match my DS.

CycloDS can take 4GB and 8GB SD cards? They have to be micro, right?

Banned
Does the EZ 3 in 1 work with an M3 Simply? And does it rely on the slot 1 cart to load up GBA games?

womp

Mejilan said:

CycloDS I believe is tough to get in black these days...But yes, it supports all speeds and sizes of MicroSD cards out.

I recommend say newegg.com myself for the memory.

I have an A-Data 4GB SDHC, it was cheaper and it works great.

fatty

Mejilan said:

I know they can take 4GB not sure about the 8GB. Yes, they have to be micro.

CycloDS is only available in black from realhotstuff but the 3in1 has both colors available (at least they did last Wednesday). Don't forget to use the 'SAVE5' coupon if you get it from them.

Mejilan

Brilliant, thanks. Know anything about getting free shipping to NY? I don't see an option...

Edit 1 - Ah, my bad, that was no tax for NY orders and quick shipping. Never mind.

Edit 2 - Ordered a black Cyclone DS and a black slim EZV 3-in-1 from realhotstuff.com, and a 4GB Kingston SDHC. Cheers!

Top Bottom