• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of DS Homebrew (hint: It rocks. Seriously)

Cheerilee

Saren is Bad said:
Hey guise, I have an Acekard 2i and it works great, I've had a DS Lite, but have since sold it.

I don't know how the firmware upgrades on the DSi work but is it likely that if I buy the new DSi Bundle with Pokemon White, that the card will work flawlessly or are there some firmwares that have blocked Acekards?
Since you had a DS Lite, I'm guessing you had the standard firmware on your Acekard 2i. That will work on a DS Fat or a DS Lite, but not any DSi.

The DSi has a whitelist of every DS game Nintendo ever approved, and the Acekard isn't one of them.

If you updated the card's firmware at some point so it pretends to be Danny Phantom, then it might work with your new DSi well enough for you to upgrade it again to pretend to be Alex Rider, which is new enough to let you get into the DSi shop and allow you to buy Shantae.

If your card still identified itself as an Acekard last time you checked, then you need to put the Alex Rider update onto your MicroSD card and find someone's DS Fat/Lite you can borrow for a minute, so you can perform the upgrade on your card.

Another update is most likely coming soon to allow your card to work on a 3DS (as a DS card that plays DS games, not DSi or 3DS games).

Wrekt

Bumpin' dis

I picked up a 3ds a few weeks ago and decided to check back on this thread, as some of the homebrew stuff looked pretty awesome. I ordered an Acekard from Amazon a few weeks ago. It shipped from a company in China and I just received it today. I noticed that the packaging was way too big for a single card. I dumped out the packaging to see this:

Pigs.jpg

Instead of packing peanuts, they surrounded my Acekard with plastic flashlight pig keychains. 5 of them in all. Pressing down the heart on their stomach lights up their snouts. WTF China.

Santiako

Wrekt said:
Instead of packing peanuts, they surrounded my Acekard with plastic flashlight pig keychains. 5 of them in all. Pressing down the heart on their stomach lights up their snouts. WTF China.

That's so weird and awesome.

Vinlaen

So... I just started playing on DSi XL using an Acekard 2i and it locked up playing Ghost Trick.

What is the typical reason for that?

I'm using a Transend 8 GB Micro SDHC card.

I also have an M3i Zero cart that I can use but I've heard that it's worse than the Acekard 2i... (although it does support real-time saves which is nice)

(...and I just updated the Acekard 2i to the latest firmware before I started playing...)

Rich!

So... I just started playing on DSi XL using an Acekard 2i and it locked up playing Ghost Trick.

I'm using a Transend 8 GB Micro SDHC card.

I also have an M3i Zero cart that I can use but I've heard that it's worse than the Acekard 2i... (although it does support real-time saves which is nice)

(...and I just updated the Acekard 2i to the latest firmware before I started playing...)

Why not just use your own cartridge of Ghost Trick if it's locking up?

Unless...

mooooose

Bumpin' dis

I picked up a 3ds a few weeks ago and decided to check back on this thread, as some of the homebrew stuff looked pretty awesome. I ordered an Acekard from Amazon a few weeks ago. It shipped from a company in China and I just received it today. I noticed that the packaging was way too big for a single card. I dumped out the packaging to see this:

Pigs.jpg

They might be trying to hide the thing from customs or something.

B.K.

Probably an anti-piracy protection.

Maybe he wants to have all of his NDS games on his flashcard. IIRC Stumpokapow did something similar, but I may be wrong.

Yeah. I think there are two or three mods that have done that. I started doing that last year. It's pretty convenient.

Vinlaen

Yes, exactly. I can play Ghost Trick (and my other games) using the original cart, but I absolutely hate carrying around a stack of them and love using a memory stick (or flash cartridge, etc) to have them all one there at once. Kinda like Games on Demand for X-Box 360 or whatever.

Cheerilee

Put the AKAIO operating system on your Acekard if you haven't done that already, and then get the latest cheat code database. Look in that game's cheats and see if anyone made a copy-protection disable code. If so, activate it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have a SUPERCARD DSTWO, and i got a (surprise from my awesome girlfriend) 3ds for christmas. there's a software patch to make these work together, right? can someone walk me through downloading it and putting it in the right place? i've tried with no success!

linkboy

i have a SUPERCARD DSTWO, and i got a (surprise from my awesome girlfriend) 3ds for christmas. there's a software patch to make these work together, right? can someone walk me through downloading it and putting it in the right place? i've tried with no success!

I've got a Supercard as well with a 3DS.

You might need to get ahold of a DS Lite to install the firmware update that enables it to work on the DSi.

What I did to update mine was go to a local pawn shop, and "tested" one of the DS Lite's they had for sale. Popped the card in, ran the update and thanked them for their time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have a DSi. will that work?

if you can direct me to the update, and tell me which folder to put it in on my mini-sd, i think i can run it on the DSi.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i got it, thanks to linkboy. i was on the right track, just needed to hunt down the right firmware update and patch it in. works like a charm now.

Adamator

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, or even if I can ask this here but is there ANY way to update an Acekard 2i without an older non updated DS? I updated my DSi XL to 1.4.3E months ago and it made my card useless. I guess I don't understand why I can't just use a PC to update the files on the Micro SD card. All the guides I read say you HAVE to use an older system and update the firmware by running a file like a game basically.

Is the firmware on the Acekard itself and reloading the AKIAO files on the micro SD card basically doing nothing?

Frustrated. Thanks for your help.

5amshift

Banned
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, or even if I can ask this here but is there ANY way to update an Acekard 2i without an older non updated DS?

No, you need to run the update on a regular DS or DS lite. It will run it as a regular update and fix the firmware problem. It's just that the DSi update can't launch or read .nds files with the new 1.4.3 firmware.

Cheerilee

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, or even if I can ask this here but is there ANY way to update an Acekard 2i without an older non updated DS? I updated my DSi XL to 1.4.3E months ago and it made my card useless. I guess I don't understand why I can't just use a PC to update the files on the Micro SD card. All the guides I read say you HAVE to use an older system and update the firmware by running a file like a game basically.

Is the firmware on the Acekard itself and reloading the AKIAO files on the micro SD card basically doing nothing?

Frustrated. Thanks for your help.

The firmware is written to the core of the flashcard itself, and AKIAO (the easy user interface) is on the microSD.

Just putting the updater program files on the microSD does you no good. If your flashcard is not accepted by Nintendo, your DSi will never even recognize the microSD. You need to actually run the flashcard somehow, and then run the updater program. The program transforms the flashcard into something Nintendo accepts.

There are two ways to upgrade your flashcard.

1: Find/borrow/rent an old DS that doesn't know it's supposed to block your flashcard, and use that one to update your card's disguise.

2: Find/borrow a new flashcard that already knows how to trick your DSi. These can sometimes be used to run the update program, and then let you switch flash cards while the DS is still turned on, and then update another card.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
2: Find/borrow a new flashcard that already knows how to trick your DSi.

What cards do this? Everything I read says you either find another DS or don't get it to run period.

Cheerilee

What cards do this? Everything I read says you either find another DS or don't get it to run period.

The Acekard updater program is an .NDS file. It's a program that runs like a game.

So you can put the Acekard update program on any card that runs .NDS games, like an R4 for example, and run the program (assuming the R4 is up to date and gets past the security on your upgraded DS). The program loads into the DS's RAM. The R4 is no longer needed.

If you follow the on-screen prompts, you can eject your R4 and insert your Acekard (all while your DS is still turned on), even a bricked one, confirm, and it'll write the new firmware to it.

All you need is some way to launch the updater program.

Speevy

Banned
I feel awfully silly for asking this, but I thought that if anyone would know something about this, this forum would.

My friend gave me one of those AceKard things, and I decided to try it on my DS.

I understand it's supposed to be recognized, but it isn't recognized at all.

The DS is an original fat model and the acekard is verison 2.1 (which supposedly is supposed to work with this.

I've tried taking it out, blowing on it, turning the system off and on. I think the thing may be broken.

Anyway, it's no big deal. I just wondered if I can fix this myself or if I should just throw it away.

Cheerilee

Does the card get recognized at all, like on your DS's menu, does is show an "Acekard" logo as your game?

I'm thinking that maybe the contents of your microSD card might have been corrupted/deleted, or maybe the person who gave you the Acekard kept the microSD for themselves and had you supply your own?

AFAIK, the Acekard 2.1 doesn't have upgradable firmware, so it shouldn't brick, but if it does brick you can't fix it (as far as I know), but it also needs AKAIO, which is sort of like your card's operating system, and that one is upgradable, and is stored on the microSD.

If I were you, I'd take out the microSD, format it, and do a clean install of AKAIO on it. Here's a link.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO

Tess3ract

Banned
Meh, if I can't use homebrew on it I don't really care. It's pretty much the deciding factor for me buying any console or handheld.

The Boat

Hey guys sorry for the bump. It's probably discussed somewhere in this thread, but it's kinda hard to catch up, so I have a question: what's the best card for DS Lite? I have a 3DS too. I see a lot of AceKard talk. Thanks!

Hey guys sorry for the bump. It's probably discussed somewhere in this thread, but it's kinda hard to catch up, so I have a question: what's the best card for DS Lite? I have a 3DS too. I see a lot of AceKard talk. Thanks!

Heard good things about Acekard. I actually ordered one from a site with a good reputation on Tuesday. Supposed to ship next business day, didn't. Their site has been down for 24 hours now. Pretty awesome. Guess I'll be calling my credit card company tomorrow and telling them to reverse charges.

Sagitario

Meh, if I can't use homebrew on it I don't really care. It's pretty much the deciding factor for me buying any console or handheld.

Not the games, but the homebrew as the deciding factor? Seems odd.
Homebrew is a big bonus, but it's all about the games in the end.

The Boat

Heard good things about Acekard. I actually ordered one from a site with a good reputation on Tuesday. Supposed to ship next business day, didn't. Their site has been down for 24 hours now. Pretty awesome. Guess I'll be calling my credit card company tomorrow and telling them to reverse charges.
That sucks. I take it it's AceKard 2i? I just need the card and presto, no need to mess around with something elese?

Socreges

Banned
Hey, guys. Looking to get into 3DS homebrew, mostly in order to import and play the soon-to-be-patched FE12. I've got some questions if anyone could help out.

If I want to play DS roms (or DSi-enhanced games that operate as DS games) on my 3DSXL, what's the best flash cart available? I've heard R4i Gold is good and updated frequently. Or what about Acekard?

And is it possible to play SNES emulators on my 3DSXL with homebrew?

Thanks

Cheerilee

Hey, guys. Looking to get into 3DS homebrew, mostly in order to import and play the soon-to-be-patched FE12. I've got some questions if anyone could help out.

If I want to play DS roms (or DSi-enhanced games that operate as DS games) on my 3DSXL, what's the best flash cart available? I've heard R4i Gold is good and updated frequently. Or what about Acekard?

And is it possible to play SNES emulators on my 3DSXL with homebrew?

Thanks

Supercard DSTWO is apparently the only flashcard with a passable SNES emulator, because the DS lacked the horsepower to emulate it properly, while the Supercard has an extra processor inside (sort of like a Super FX chip).

Supercard DSTWO is also apparently the only flashcart to cleanly pass all of Nintendo's latest attempts to block flashcards. The 3DS is a battlefield full of corpses where all the other brands are concerned. Some of them have hardware revisions that made it across, but they also have twin brothers that didn't.

Supercard was the most expensive flashcard of the bunch last time I looked, but if you want SNES on 3DS, Supercard seems like your only choice.

Socreges

Banned
Supercard DSTWO is apparently the only flashcard with a passable SNES emulator, because the DS lacked the horsepower to emulate it properly, while the Supercard has an extra processor inside (sort of like a Super FX chip).

Supercard DSTWO is also apparently the only flashcart to cleanly pass all of Nintendo's latest attempts to block flashcards. The 3DS is a battlefield full of corpses where all the other brands are concerned. Some of them have hardware revisions that made it across, but they also have twin brothers that didn't.

Supercard was the most expensive flashcard of the bunch last time I looked, but if you want SNES on 3DS, Supercard seems like your only choice.
Thanks for the info.

SNES isn't as important as import DS games (and the like), so I'll probably go after either the R4i or Acekard2i depending on people's feedback.

Hello i recently reformat my pc and was wondering if anyone know what software to use to view .nds icon file on pc. I remember i used a software that allow me to see the icon.

IceCold

So what's the best flashcard for the Nintendo DS? There's a lot of them online and I have no idea which ones are good. Bonus points if it supports GBA games.

Also what are the most reliable websites (and those that accept paypal)?

So what's the best flashcard for the Nintendo DS? There's a lot of them online and I have no idea which ones are good. Bonus points if it supports GBA games.

Also what are the most reliable websites (and those that accept paypal)?

I used RealHotStuff lately and they supported Paypal. You have to contact them via their contact form to get that option, though.

Can't say anything about which one is the best. I got the basic R4 since it's only being used as Deoxys distribution cart and for Tales of Innocence/Hearts.

Neo Child

Banned
hope this is the right place for this. i recently bought a dsi xl and the firmware is 1.4.5e (europe) and my current homebrew card doesnt work for it - can anyone reccomend a cheap card that will work on my `1.4.5e that enables homebrew access. i have a supercard dsone for my ds lite. thanks (=

Cheerilee

hope this is the right place for this. i recently bought a dsi xl and the firmware is 1.4.5e (europe) and my current homebrew card doesnt work for it - can anyone reccomend a cheap card that will work on my `1.4.5e that enables homebrew access. i have a supercard dsone for my ds lite. thanks (=

Apparently Acekard has dropped out of the firmware game.

Supercard DSTwo is the most expensive flashcard, but it's still the king of flashcards. It even lets you play DS games on the latest 3DS firmwares. But apparently it's a bit of a battery hog.

R4 is apparently still around, and their cards are still the cheapest, but they have to keep getting around Nintendo's blocks by making new physical variations of the card.

Since you're looking for a cheap card, I would suggest hitting the GBA Temp forums and doing a bit of homework to find out which R4 is right for you.

Top Bottom